Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1885 1886 [1887] 1888 1889 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5969509 times)

Ringsea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #28290 on: March 14, 2013, 06:26:12 pm »

The caverns are full of ash now, but I only lost 2 dwarves (one dead for sure one missing, he either burned or got eaten probably) and the farms and stuff are all fine, so thats good.
Even better, the monster is dead. A random marksdwarf shot 'em as he was patrolling the stairs.

However, after the humans left, Sterniron's second siege of around 60 goblins, mostly pike and axe goblins. Most of them are riding giant bats, and they brought some trolls along with some elite troops.

The citizens were quick to get inside and nobody died, a few animals were killed early on though. A few bat-riders flew between my several-story high bedroom towers and caused general mayhem before being driven off by my archers.

The trolls came up later to again be repelled by a hail of bolts, but they came a little too close for comfort to reaching the gates.

Around 50 of 'em are out there with trolls and more bat riders which worries me that they might try another attack. Its early winter now, so if I have 2 seasons before the Humans arrive for me to break the siege (I tend to ignore the Elves)

Tl;DR: Fire gone, gobbos outside on bats.

[Edit: The missing dwarf seemed to have been found, some weapon-smith who was found alive outside the safe parts of the cavern I have no idea how she lived, but she did. The marksdwarf who burned is now haunting the fort, though.]
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 06:31:28 pm by Ringsea »

Ringsea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28291 on: March 14, 2013, 07:00:59 pm »

The goblins were routed, and about 30 died with no Dwarven deaths. We chased 'em into the hills and rained on 'em from the sky. The blue and red blood makes a glorious royal purple stain on the trees.

The remaining goblins, including one of their leaders, flew or fled for their lives, most of them injured. The rout will go down in history as one of Sterniron's and The Tangled Gravel's greatest victory over The Curled Ruthlessness and their demonic lords and allies!

Oh, and we're a barony now.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28292 on: March 14, 2013, 09:00:23 pm »

-snip-

I tried a draltha farm, but one died of starvation because no one fed him and the other went feral and mauled my O7 mason after running halfway across the map. Had to put that one down, but memorialized it next to the coffin of the mason.

And the batches of crundle eggs, from what I saw, were between 9 and 27, and 5 batches hatched all at once so I've got quite an explosion. Probably will stuff them in cages all over the place for a happiness boost.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #28293 on: March 14, 2013, 10:24:32 pm »

Wait, crundles lay eggs?
Bay12 is literally the only place where this doesn't sound weird.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28294 on: March 14, 2013, 10:36:51 pm »

What happens when a swordmaster with almost no armor, a light shield and an iron short sword get  a lucky trance?

This. All marksgoblins plus a giant toad. The two other dorfs had arrived after he'd slaughtered all but roughly five of the ambushers, those five being the guys at the back smart enough to say "fuck this" after the attack leaders were dropped. Sadly a forest gryphon and three grey languars were lost to flying bolts.

So, guess who scored free crossbows/bows and ammo? As crappy as goblin shit is.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28295 on: March 15, 2013, 12:14:29 am »

They're sort of chickens, only (even more) evil. They lay fairly large batches of eggs, but since they have no [CHILD] tag in the standard raws, you must mod them if you want them to reproduce. They're pretty small, so it's usually best to just keep them as yet another egg-laying type of fowl without bothering much with breeding efforts.

I'd always assumed Crundles were short versions of the monsters in Where The Wild Things Are
So, two legged, small torso'd fluffy two horned monsters??
Though, horned chickens is more cute

Anyhow, after Silvertreasures was reduced to two dwarves who were crippled and bedridden without any food or water for months, and lived, a migrant wave arrived
They were assaulted greeted by two demons who were blocking guarding the entrances like nice fellows
After ten minutes of watching them attempt to enter, only to dodge blobs repeatedly, I decided to abandon
The people who were abandoned formed The Boat of Mourning apparently, branching away from society
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.
« Reply #28296 on: March 15, 2013, 02:15:07 am »

I have the most bizarre dwarves right now. The fort itself is doing swimmingly good, despite there being a Forgotten Beast trapped down in the sewers (which frightens dwarves trying to drink from one of the wells); but the DWARVES are just fucking NUTS!

I had a little catsplosion about a year ago (in-game time) and half the damn cats were adopted so I can't kill them; but thankfully I don't even need to butcher the kittens when they are born: My dwarves seem to enjoy doing that as a past-time. Whenever a Dwarf goes "on break," they go outside to my animal pen and just murder kittens until they get tired/hungry/thirsty and then eat/sleep/drink and go back to work. It's the weirdest thing I've ever seen in the game; AND IT'S NOT MODDED IN ANY WAY WHAT-SO-EVER! :O

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #28297 on: March 15, 2013, 02:32:38 am »

Are you serious? Man, we need a video of this behaviour. For !!SCIENCE!!, I assure you. I'd never suggest such a thing for entertainment purposes. :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Myrkky100

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28298 on: March 15, 2013, 04:17:25 am »

I think you've just revealed the results of Toady's secret machine learning experiment...
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.
- Tacitus

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28299 on: March 15, 2013, 04:31:03 am »

Flooring over the courtyard proceeds very, very slowly. Well, it's a pretty big courtyard and my workforce isn't that large - 83 dwarfs, of which 46 are adult. And of course, at least two of them are needed to keep my bee industry going (edging ever closer to the 2000 mead milestone), the fields need tending, and ridiculous amounts of junk need carrying around. We're by now solidly established as a bastion of rock music - 3029 instruments, of which 19 are metal and one is a (wooden) artefact. That leaves 3009 _rock instruments_! The same amount of stone and workshop jobs would have created 9027 rock mugs, but a lot more hauling labour, not to mention bigger consumption of stockpile space. The jeweller's shop encrusts with a give order from the big instrument pile, and the most blinged-out one is currently rated at a bit under 90 000. Still some way to go, five figures are a must!

In other news, the Draltha children still have to grow up, but at least the elves have proved their colours once again - they sold us a female polar bear, which promptly dropped some cubs not much later. Breeding war-able animals now include polar bears, grizzly bears, giant jaguars, giant leopards, ordinary leopards and dogs.

Kibstable

• Bay Watcher
  • We didn't start the fire...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28300 on: March 15, 2013, 04:49:32 am »

That's interesting, I just had a puppy and kitten killer in my fort too.
Hes a bad-ass militia commander who doesn't really care about anything any more, some cats, kittens and puppies come into the dinning room so he splats them all and goes back to eating, another couple arrive so he turns them into meat pizza on the floor too. And continues this until there's only 1 dog and 1 cat in the whole fort left - 40+ furry-kills in total (all in the dinning room) - its not like he 'absolutely detests kittens'  I think he absolutely loves his silver war hammer and splat noises.

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28301 on: March 15, 2013, 08:51:40 am »

Grovebridges plods along. The nickel pipe sections needed for the magma pump have been finished. My sand request for the second year caravan got enough sand to build a quarter of the corkscrews needed. Some melting jobs (some from the humans and dwarves, some goblinite) have got me another quarter of the way. This is the first time I've really used melting.

The city has attracted over 100 dwarves; one of these days I'll learn what to do with them all! But on the bright side, it attracts goblinite, so maybe it will help finish the pump stack quicker.

A siege arrived midsummer of the third year. No problem, I think; I outnumber the goblins and i'm wearing full bismuth bronze with leather coverings. And they're sitting on the opposite side of the river with their spears. I'll just station my melee squad near the bridge and my marksdwarves on the other side of the river.

Of course, I woefully underestimated dwarven stupidity; after taking a few shots, my marksdwarves decided they wanted to swim across the river to get at the goblins. I've lost three of them. Could have been worse, I suppose. I hope I don't get a tantrum spiral; I really want to make a pump stack for once.

I have done a bit of engineering I've wanted to try for a while: I've rerouted my river underground so that I can build solid walls, and grates to cover where it comes back up into my fort. And happily, the river behaves well with this diversion!

Oh, I've decided I'm going to make my magma cistern out of ice, just because I can. :) Constructed ice walls won't melt in magma, right?

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28302 on: March 15, 2013, 09:26:55 am »

I just had my first experience of a dwarf turning into a werecreature in his hospital bed. I had to order other dwarves to attack to stop it from killing everything, but when it turned back into a dwarf the militia started killing everything else. I know why they're doing it, but in this case it seems extra dumb. Hopefully this is fixed at some point.

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28303 on: March 15, 2013, 09:48:46 am »

Grovebridges got another siege in the third year. More goblins at once than I've ever seen before. That's okay, I'll just raise my bridge. Hey, why did it retract instead of raise? ....

I was able to zerg rush the goblins to scare them off... but will grovebridges recover? Feels like the whole settlement has been mismanaged as badly as any government project!

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28304 on: March 15, 2013, 10:15:29 am »

Constructed ice walls won't melt in magma, right?
Right

The dwarves of Wheeledmoment are cleaning up from yet another goblin ambush. I understand that the war has been going on since long before the fort was founded and we don't have a noble worthy of accepting a peace treaty, but the goblins have been losing a steady war of attrition for nearly 30 years now and the government the war was originally raged against fell well over 150 years ago.

Ooh, and a draltha has given birth to twins. I have no idea how we know this as the draltha+family aren't on the units screen, we haven't breached the caverns, and zoom to announcement takes me 36 levels below the deepest part of the mines.
Pages: 1 ... 1885 1886 [1887] 1888 1889 ... 3839