Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1884 1885 [1886] 1887 1888 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5969347 times)

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #28275 on: March 13, 2013, 11:32:53 pm »

Axehole is growing at a steady pace now. The magma workshops have been built and metal working is starting in earnest, with some steel being forged and bronze being multiplied via giant axe blade smelting. Adamantine has started being refined and some adamantine war cleavers have been ordered for forging. Our legendary weaponsmith will see that the adamantine doesn't go to waste.

The first cavern layer has been opened and is providing a steady stream of animals for training. The best haul so far has been a male cave croc and a bunch of rutherers. The trainers are working on training the rutherers to a reliable obedience and then they'll be released for breeding into their compound. we're still waiting for another cave croc for breeding.

A team of 5 dedicated masons has been established for pumping out blocks and assorted other furniture for the second floor of the fort. Building has continued much quicker and steadier now.

My first violent ghost has made itself known, by battering a helpless mechanic and tearing off their right leg. It was the ghost of an engraver who got a useless stonecrafter mood when we had no cloth he wanted. He went beserk and was put down by the military. He shouldn't hang around much longer, due to his body being on the way to the caverns at this moment, but his appearance was interesting, and the mechanic won't forget it anytime soon.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28276 on: March 14, 2013, 12:36:05 am »

Turns out the name of the fort is Silvertreasures

Lost two of my four militia when getting rid of elephants
The only surviving elephant, a female, who killed two dwarves, and is crippled, is now named

Two months later hell is breached
Brave dwarves, a cave crocodile, war dogs, and even cats join the fray
Someone forgot to release the blind tame cave bear into the fray though
70 demons are taken out
Fort down to 40, WITH new immigrants
Soon fort dwindles to 20
A troglodyte child, a war kobold, and a normal kobold take on a poisonous steam wolf demon
And win
Nobody gains a title
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28277 on: March 14, 2013, 01:26:52 am »

A shaggy badgerdog fought hard against the goblin flagellants as the human caravaners closed to engage with Sergeant Obok leading them with the named badgerdog Oilhate. One of the goblins was killed when a musket ball fired by a guard tore into the goblin's head, but not before it struck the first dog down as oilhate charged and bit into another's foot and toppled it, where Obok promptly liberated the greenskin of its head.

Overall the fight went quickly. One was bludgeoned to death with hammers by the human guards, one shot, one dismembered, one decapitated and one caged.

Aaaaand it crashed as I typed this. Fun.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28278 on: March 14, 2013, 01:36:31 am »

A forgotten beast that is quadrupedal and made of vomit with poison vapors appeared
Also a stray cavy sow and a named vapor demon have been fighting, for 34 pages
This people, is what happens when your cavies fight often
You have a cavy sow that is an amazing dodger
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #28279 on: March 14, 2013, 01:41:25 am »

Axehole repelled a much larger goblin siege, including some archer squads and two elite bowmen. The marksdwarf squad took some hits due to the archers, and a lack of walls on the second floor caused some civilians to take damage. Trolls were killed before they breached past the chokepoint hall, and the archerdorfs repelled most melee goblin squads.

The remaining couple archers led by a gobbo macelord and the elite bowgoblins were the only squads left, and they weren't nearing the chokepoint. I sent in all melle dwarves to engage the macegoblin and his troops first, since they were closest. Alas, the one untitled axelord Treebeard of the Spears of Heart was lost to the macelord dishonorably clubbing him in the back of the head, leaving 3 embittered squadmates. All 3 took some kind of injury due to the bowgobbos, but no terrible damage. The weaker or stupid dorfs in the other melee squads were weeded out, providing more armor for the survivors. In other news, some of the first adamantine war cleavers got to taste goblin blood!

The hospital should be working overtime to cover the damage. Not sure of the threats of a tantrum spiral yet. All in all I think it went well for my first major siege.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28280 on: March 14, 2013, 02:56:08 am »

Silvertresures is on brink of collapse
One dwarf, recently grew to adulthood
He lost his mother to the werechameleon virus, as she was taken down by her dear ranger friend's bolts, who bled to death
His father starved to death bed ridden thanks to the demons

9 dwarves survive
3 are caged thanks to a web slinging demon
5 dwarves are bed ridden
1 dwarf is still moving about

Our last dwarf seems to be talking with the now crippled expedition leader, the leader from his bed, chatting with the peasant who drinks himself into depression
The peasant locks the room to the pleasant bedroom, knowing their lives will be no more.
Silvertreasures, a fort with no mineral export except for silver, dies without a bang, but without a whimper
Silvertreasures dies in a slow death, as days take for each member to starve or bleed out
The demons retreat into the depths, killing the forgotten beast in a ferocious melee

The now blood covered and miasma filled silver halls are no longer pristine

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28281 on: March 14, 2013, 03:19:33 am »

As Dodok passes, the title of expedition leader passes onto Fath, a young miner woman, also bedridden, who lost her miner lover recently
Ral moves to her room, choosing to talk to another dwarf again
The peasant does not kill, but chooses not to be alone, as the fort has dropped to 5

This is my first true fun
Fun is an engraving of tears

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28282 on: March 14, 2013, 09:09:58 am »

...  My crundles have finally hatched some babies. And they promptly escaped confinement, and are terrorizing the patrons of the fine Cavern 2 dining room. ...
Now that is a fine batch of crundles!

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28283 on: March 14, 2013, 12:30:35 pm »

Soon the fort dwindles to 2, both bedridden dwarves
The dwarven caravan and goblin ambushes struggle to survive against the few remaining demons
2 ghosts arise, both angry of not being buried, but refuse to attack an old friend

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #28284 on: March 14, 2013, 01:35:16 pm »

...  My crundles have finally hatched some babies. And they promptly escaped confinement, and are terrorizing the patrons of the fine Cavern 2 dining room. ...
Now that is a fine batch of crundles!
I agree, we have a truly great crundlebreeder here!

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28285 on: March 14, 2013, 02:02:16 pm »

Splashcanyon just had its second siege for the year, it seems like the last one was just to test the waters (if you pardon the pun), since that consisted of only around 20 invaders, whereas this one numbered in the fifties.

I got to test the Tidal Wave Weapon once more, and I'm pleased to say that it worked much, much better this time, thanks to improvements made (like removing slopes in certain locations so the goblins have a harder time escaping) and some parts luck (like the fact that half a dozen goblins crawled up into my drainage ducts, right next to the floodgates, where they could not escape). Total kills by drowning came to at least 18, it was hard to count since the bodies scatter everywhere, and there was a second force of invaders somewhere else fighting some unlucky merchants that got trapped outside, which made the "Dead/Missing" screen hard to go by.

The fact that there were two separate forces of invaders were kind of a miscalculation on my part, since the weapon relies somewhat on timing to work correctly, and funnelling two separate forces up the mountain at the same time would require some... orchestrating. The second squad ran off after having witnessed the awesome power of my water, which is kind of an disappointment, but I guess it's ok, since they will spread the word of my harnessing of the forces of nature!

The fact that they ran away might have something to do with a horse and a human guardsman killing an entire squad of trolls as well, but I like to think it was the water.
"And Armok said to Urist: I am the alpha and the omega, the first and the last, the beer and the magma."

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #28286 on: March 14, 2013, 02:02:26 pm »

Wait, crundles lay eggs?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28287 on: March 14, 2013, 02:24:18 pm »

They're sort of chickens, only (even more) evil. They lay fairly large batches of eggs, but since they have no [CHILD] tag in the standard raws, you must mod them if you want them to reproduce. They're pretty small, so it's usually best to just keep them as yet another egg-laying type of fowl without bothering much with breeding efforts.

I'm currently trying to get a draltha farm up and running - i don't tame them to avoid having to handle their huge pasture requirements, but the oldest children still haven't grown up after three or four years. I guess i'd better 'butcher' them via drop shaft, to improve hair and leather yields...
The sheep farm stays well-provided with grass and the population is carefully kept in check by yearly cullings. Of course, that niceness is brutally off-set by the sheep ghetto one tile to the side and one z-level below - i had an overpopulation problem that sort-of solved itself by infighting, viz. about half of the sheep dodging into the inescapable moat. They keep fighting each other down there and about one per season starves to death, although that's compensated by new births.

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28288 on: March 14, 2013, 02:35:07 pm »

Ok, back up! Is this even possible?!

I got word that the human caravan which spent the siege inside my walls had left. Fine, no problems.

Shortly after I heard that one of my dwarves had drowned. Again, it's a nuisance, but it happens from time to time when the lake is refilling.

But then I take a look, and see not one, not two, but THREE dwarves at the bottom of the lake, along with what appears to be the contents of a caravan wagon. The combat report logs are filled with dwarves, humans and horses taking damage from crashing into things, and I have no idea what happened. My first thought was cave-in, but since there's no evidence of this, I'm thinking one of two things:

1. The wagon, with my dwarves walking alongside it, took the wrong route. Instead of going over the bridge, it went across the mouth of the river (which is only 1/7 or 2/7 right now) and got swept down into the lake, taking my dwarves with it. I guess this seems most likely.
2. The "driver" of the wagon somehow lost control, and drove it into the lake, taking my dwarves with it. Not sure if this is even possible.

I'm unsure about scenario #1 though, since water doesn't seem to sweep creatures along when I'm using my tidal wave weapon, so not sure if it would do it here.

Any theories?

EDIT: Dammit, is the "Traffic Area"-system just a suggestion or are my dwarves retarded?! I've set the entire lake to restricted (all z-levels, max cost), and the edges around it to high, but they STILL insist on wading across the damn river mouth. Almost lost four more just now, before I reacted and ordered them all to burrow inside.

EDIT2: Ok, I think I've just about had it with this fortress now. I waited until winter to recover all the bodies and stuff by digging in the ice. Then I noticed that, of course, some of it had ended up in the ONE pocket of water that doesn't freeze. Fine, I think, I'll just dig out the wall and drain it, it's just a 4x4 square. Easier said than done, since the stuff freezes instantly... But the water level DOES drop every time this happens, so, I figure, it's just rinse and repeat! Piece of cake!

End result: I have no miners. They have all gone missing, mysteriously. Someone mentioned that they'd seen an ice wall resembling them, but I don't know... This is the second time in the history of this fortress that I'm out of miners.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 03:39:29 pm by Flanderbland »
"And Armok said to Urist: I am the alpha and the omega, the first and the last, the beer and the magma."

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28289 on: March 14, 2013, 05:10:11 pm »

Winter of the first year has come, and the tireless miners of Grovebridges has dug out the space for its pump stack, and is starting to set up the logistics for churning out the machine components.

It is only at this time that the metalsmith Doren "Inkitches" Likotmeb decides to inform me that he can't make an enormous corkscrew out of nickel. This means the outpost's only native source of magma-safe corkscrews is nether-cap... and it's too late to place an order with the caravan!

This miscommunication is likely to set the project back by years! :(
Pages: 1 ... 1884 1885 [1886] 1887 1888 ... 3839