Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1663 1664 [1665] 1666 1667 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5978591 times)

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #24960 on: August 18, 2012, 02:22:22 am »

Just managed to sell 58 gneiss querns to the elves during the approximately 5 minutes that the baroness let the quern embargo drop. Had to buy a giant grasshopper and a giant wombat just to make enough room on the cart.

Next target: the mayor's leather buckler pile.

Edit:
BARONESS IS ASLEEP

SELL QUERNS

BARONESS APPARENTLY WOKE UP AT SOME POINT

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

OOPS

28 criminals. 86 charges. 2303 total days in jail.

One duchess who's going to be very disappointed.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 02:31:51 am by doublestrafe »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24961 on: August 18, 2012, 02:26:47 am »

a migrant arrived who'd been spawn infected in worldgen. A soldier killed him. A weremonkey attacks. Soldier reduced him to a pile of limbs, a puddle of blood and two halves of a torso.

wizard12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24962 on: August 18, 2012, 05:54:54 am »

New fort, all's going well when halfway through summer in the first year...

Sadly no cage traps... I'll just have to have my dwaves rip him apart with their bare hands (no weapons yet).

Edit: damn, ran off the map away from dogs before I could even tear a limb off... :(
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 05:56:44 am by wizard12 »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24963 on: August 18, 2012, 06:27:54 am »

The dead walk!

Also ambush. The way things are rolling, we're ripping the zombies apart, suprisingly with goblin aid. So far I think a third of the  zombie attack has been decimated. Either There's no necromancer actually leading the charge (we've killed I think close to 2 dozen or something) or he's up on the hill where my champion and her team are heading. Axelords just chopped up the goblins. Kind of a shame too, since they helped us out.

Oh, an FB slipped in somwhere along the way and my champion beat its sorry ass. a huge skinless frog that spwed dust that wasn't even fatal.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24964 on: August 18, 2012, 07:55:46 am »

I, for one, welcome the elven traders. After last year's disaster with the goblin ambush killing them all, then the prompt disposal of all corpses that reanimated several times, I didn't think they would return....

But they did, and brought me this:

Traded them a ton of used clothing for it. Now to set a few cage traps around the desert area to my east and hope for a male one...

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #24965 on: August 18, 2012, 11:23:14 am »

399 disarmed goblins vs. 12 steelclad dwarves. (Was going to be 13, but one bugged off to his room for a nap, so I decided to start without him.) The slaughterfest raged for about 3 weeks. One of my miners now has 111 notable kills, my duke has 57, and the schmuck who forgot to bring a weapon to the party has 3. The stripped-naked goblin war leader now sits in the middle of the carnage, choking on the noxious fumes erupting from the bloated corpses of those he directed to this place. His cage is spattered with the lifeblood of no fewer than 40 different goblins.

The duke Ezum Towerstones the Oaken Eye of Wondering has organized a party at orthoclase Table.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24966 on: August 18, 2012, 12:17:11 pm »

After 15 tries, I finally got my wagon roofed and my dwarves are safely underground.
We put a 6X5 roof over top of the wagon and entrance ramp, which protects us from the enthralling rain.

In honor of our wonderful weather that creates Creeping Murk Zombies, I have named the fort "RabbitHut, the Creepy Murky Shelter".

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24967 on: August 18, 2012, 12:44:13 pm »

After 15 tries, I finally got my wagon roofed and my dwarves are safely underground.
We put a 6X5 roof over top of the wagon and entrance ramp, which protects us from the enthralling rain.

In honor of our wonderful weather that creates Creeping Murk Zombies, I have named the fort "RabbitHut, the Creepy Murky Shelter".
I'd like to see how this ends, it's not very common for a fort with serious rain to survive.

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24968 on: August 18, 2012, 02:59:28 pm »

what evil biome gets zombies again? or is it all of them? and what is the best one to start with?
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24969 on: August 18, 2012, 03:11:11 pm »

what evil biome gets zombies again? or is it all of them? and what is the best one to start with?
There's no way to tell. Evil is a Yes/No type deal the haunted, terrifying, and etc. only relate to the savagery. If you embark and there are dead trees and stuff you probably have zombies. If you can get a split between two evil biomes you double your chances.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #24970 on: August 18, 2012, 03:18:46 pm »

OOPS

Kill her.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #24971 on: August 18, 2012, 03:29:31 pm »

It appears I am out of wood.

I have a moody dorf who has been moody for a bit and wants metal bars. My fort doesn't have any form of coal. I have a tundra fort so no surface trees. It took me a while to figure out why the dorfs were canceling smelting due to lack of refined coal.

"Hey aren't they making charcoal? No? Why not? All the right labors are set, what's missing?"

Of course, wood.

Currently deconstructing a wall that seals off the caves so I may get some wood before my moody dorf (A feymood METALSMITH.) goes insane.

Knowing my luck I will probably just get a toy metal boat.

EDIT: On a side note, I think wolfs are now locally extinct on my map. They were the only surface creatures I had, oh well.

EDIT: It appears I was wrong, a wolf has appeared! Yay.

Update: Alright, got the moody dorf what he needed, hope it turns out good.

Updateo: Iron spear, not bad. 36k in value, menaces with spikes of smokey quarts, and it has a image of an artifact mail shirt from my other failed fort on it.

Artifactception.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 04:10:31 pm by Mageziya »
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24972 on: August 18, 2012, 04:40:21 pm »

OOPS

Kill her.

agreed
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #24973 on: August 18, 2012, 05:50:08 pm »

OOPS

Kill her.

agreed
Was the Wagon still there when the trade mandate began again? If so, even though you traded it in the safe period, they weren't technically exported until they left the map.

How do you want to exectute her?
Gravity?
Socks?
Goblins?
HFS?
!!FIRE!!
!!MAGMA!!
Water
!!MAGMA!!
Traps?
!!MAGMA!!
Kill all her cats to make her tantrum?
Feed her to the local vampire?
Kill her lover to make her tantrum?
Lock her in a room until she goes insane?
!!MAGMA!!
!!LAVA!!
Sponges?
Were beasts?
Horrific FB syndrome?
!!MAGMA!!
Becoming the ammunition for a minecart shotgun?

And did I mention !!MAGMA!!?

The possibility of cruelty in Dwarf Fortress is endless.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24974 on: August 18, 2012, 06:04:08 pm »

There's always the option to decommision the guard and let the bitch whine about nobody being punished instead and then you don't stagnate (unless you're already a duchy) since you won't get a replacment baron/count.
Pages: 1 ... 1663 1664 [1665] 1666 1667 ... 3839