Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108379 times)

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2400 on: April 23, 2010, 01:43:48 pm »

Just noticed:

[T_WORD:DRAIN:fak]

Seems appropriate, especially when said drain stops working.

EDIT:

Also,

[T_WORD:MEAT:igril]

[T_WORD:SUFFERING:omshit]

There's actually a lot of jokes in the language file.

[T_WORD:UNION:semor]
[T_WORD:CONFEDERACY:mul†sh]
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 01:49:23 pm by Schilcote »
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: April 23, 2010, 03:10:53 pm »

Just embarked on a coastal map and... ooh, zombie sharks! This should be FUN...

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: April 23, 2010, 04:24:42 pm »

with lasers on their heads?
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: April 23, 2010, 06:36:43 pm »

Heh, I think that's the last thing my dwarves need.  ;)

The construction of the fort was going well, until a skeletal sunfish emerged from the depths and killed two of my militia dwarves. I ordered the citizens into the keep (under construction, but relatively operational) for their safe keeping.

Just a quick snapshot of my town (under construction):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pheonix_RE

• Bay Watcher
  • (sic)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: April 23, 2010, 07:07:19 pm »

My current fort has an aquifer; thankfully, it's one caused by Sandstone and so isn't as much of a problem, at least in terms of actually getting rock. As getting through before it freezes over again seems unlikely, I've instead decided to just dig out my fort close to the surface, and once I get through the aquifer I'll move most of my operations down there - a properly-designed and defended entrance, better layout, that sort of thing.
My military is puny at this point (2 actual military people and one sheriff for a fort of about 30), but unlike all my other fortresses this one gets swords to train with, rather than just wrestling.
Finally, I'm waiting for an anvil to (hopefully) come with the autumn caravan, so I can get to work making all the copper on my embark into stuff.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: April 23, 2010, 08:01:11 pm »

Ungh, had a cage trap hallway set up with floodgates blocking both ends.  Also had floodgates in the side ready to flood the entire hallway.  Goblin siege comes.  They have cave crawlers.

Shit.  Well maybe they'll all get caught by the traps.  Nope.  They dismantle the flood gates at the beginning of the hallway, then the floodgates in the middle, releasing all the water pent up behind it.  They get washed out of the hallway and off a conveniently, unintentionally placed ledge with a 10z drop. 

Best defense ever!  Will have to try to replicate this in future forts.

Further, my dwarves who are cleaning up the mess (currently dump all miasma producing bodies since they don't decay naturally at the moment), are getting positive thoughts from the resulting waterfall while they work.

Oh by the by, are cave crawlers tameable?  Because I did capture some, just not all.  Each goblin had one and I just didn't have enough cages.  Will remedy that in the future.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 08:03:44 pm by Shiv »
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: April 23, 2010, 10:39:46 pm »

I'm sad. Game crashes in the spring when the ocean and river thaw.  :'(

Shame too, I had a plan to make a coast guard tower mega project thingie.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: April 23, 2010, 10:41:14 pm »

Please file a bug report!
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: April 24, 2010, 10:12:59 am »

So far my wonderful fortress has produced two awe-inspiring artifacts!

...A pig tail sock and a rope reed turban.

LegitMacgyver

• Bay Watcher
  • Macgyver cancels make bomb, can't find paper clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: April 24, 2010, 11:24:44 am »

After my pansy militia was massacred by goblins and the tantrum spiral grabbed firm hold of my fortress I found this gem in the main hallway:

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: April 24, 2010, 11:32:44 am »

After my pansy militia was massacred by goblins and the tantrum spiral grabbed firm hold of my fortress I found this gem in the main hallway:

I love this game.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: April 24, 2010, 03:00:44 pm »

My surface fortress' keep is slowly turning into a temple of Armok, because all my residents are painting the floor red with copious amounts of reces macaque blood.  All it took was a single soldier killing one and then cleaning off in the well in the middle of the meeting area, and now the entire bottom floor is about half a foot deep in blood, and there's a trail of blood to the upper floors where the new construction is happening.  Oh well, blood looks better than mudstone.

I also had a militia member fail a strange mood and go melancholy.  The odd thing is she immediately went back to her squad's barracks and did combat drills instead of trying to off herself.  I guess she wants to be really skilled before she dies.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: April 24, 2010, 03:03:34 pm »

Two forgotten beasts in two years.  Thank Armok the armed forces were in good order. 

Also had a trapper with a broken arm and leg get a strange mood, hop out of bed, complete the artifact, and promptly return to combat training despite her injuries.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 03:05:25 pm by Vercingetorix »
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: April 24, 2010, 03:15:07 pm »

The forgotten beast Mishos has come! A towering one-eyed tarantula. It has a twisting, jointed trunk and it has a bloated body. Its cinnamon exoskeleton is sleek and smooth. Beward its poisonous bite!

Luckily I have the caverns 100% sealed off.

I've also breached the sea and I'm starting to set up my magma works. Trying to figure out the right location so I can make a ~120z pit for quick trasport to the magma area stockpiles, at least until I get my glass industry and glimmering glass pump stack up and running. Setting up a dorm/dining room down around there too, and will add a food/drink stockpile.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: April 24, 2010, 03:20:33 pm »

Luckily I have the caverns 100% sealed off.

I've also breached the sea and I'm starting to set up my magma works. Trying to figure out the right location so I can make a ~120z pit for quick trasport to the magma area stockpiles, at least until I get my glass industry and glimmering glass pump stack up and running. Setting up a dorm/dining room down around there too, and will add a food/drink stockpile.

I got a similar Forgotten Beast, but it was a frog that could swim...it was only a matter of time before that bad boy showed up on the shore.  The blood basically rotted away one of the guys that killed it.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 3842