Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108409 times)

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2415 on: April 24, 2010, 04:10:44 pm »

Currently working on my fortress deep under the frozen, snowy tundra. I just got a huge wave of immigrants that I can't be arsed to assign to tasks...

Gonna quickly start my metalworking industry to make some more axes and picks, then I can finally start working on my pump trap and windmill farm... hopefully my freezing trap will be done by the time the first gobbos arive!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: April 24, 2010, 04:11:48 pm »

I just fucking crashed and I didn't save in like, oh, A DECADE.

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: April 24, 2010, 04:13:35 pm »

My surface fortress' keep is slowly turning into a temple of Armok, because all my residents are painting the floor red with copious amounts of reces macaque blood.

When I read up to "painting the floor red with copious amounts of reces...", I thought that said feces. First I thought, red feces? What have you been feeding your dwarfs? Then I thought? How do I get feces in my fort and can I make it into a weapon somehow?

But for the record, it's a rhesus macaque. Which is unrelated to the feces macaque.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: April 24, 2010, 04:32:15 pm »

That's why I have seasonal autosaves on! :D

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: April 24, 2010, 05:18:13 pm »

Essentially, nothing but setting things up.
I'm constructing the exterior castle, where I will eventually install magma pump cannons for defensive purposes. The miners are still carving out the third production level, which will belong to the masons and carpenters. Farms are up.
I built the trade depot and was expecting a caravan, but apparently the fact that all dwarven civs are dead, including mine, means that there will not be a caravan from it, and may or may not be from any the humans (only civilization left) for many years, or ever, who knows?
If they come, maybe I'll melt them on a regular basis, just for Fun.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 05:21:44 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

LordShotGun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: April 24, 2010, 06:43:26 pm »

!!FUN!!

Just had a fire imp run up into my magma smelter and slaughter a bunch of super important dwarves, including but not limited too my recently legendary armorsmith, my immigrant high master weapon smith, and a master blacksmith/proficent metal crafter.

And no, the magma man didnt actually kill any of them physically. The fire did that. Without getting into any horrible awesome details, the fire spread uncontrollably to my food stores that contained mostly wooden barrels. Exploding booze indeed.

Anyway by the end of it all the fort was next to unplayable and I just save scummed and started from the previous season.
Must... eat... demon raaaaaaat! ARGLEBARGLEBARGLEBARGLE *CRASH* OMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

Tastes like... SAAAATAAAAAAAN!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: April 24, 2010, 06:44:23 pm »

Does the autosave overwrite itself?

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: April 24, 2010, 06:45:18 pm »

Yes.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: April 24, 2010, 06:48:56 pm »

AUTOSAVE controls when and if it autosaves.
AUTOBACKUP backs up each save, like; '[region name] [year] [season]' or something like that, so no, It doesn't have to overwrite itself. And the most recent save is just '[region name].'
AUTOSAVE_PAUSE controls if your game pauses when it saves.
INITIAL_SAVE controls if your game saves as soon as you start your fort (with two saves, one '[region name] [year] [season]' and '[region name]')
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Minstrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: April 24, 2010, 08:10:12 pm »

I'm just finishing up the 2nd year in my first DF2010 fort... and holy hell is it fun! At the beginning of the year, a kobold thief wandered in and stabbed one of my sleeping miners in the hand, splitting it all the way to the bone.

I appointed a hospital zone and put my chief medical dwarf to work on hin (the CMD only has skills in mining and doctoring). After he diagnosed him, I had to wait a month before I had pig tail thread to process. Then the wound was sutured, dressed and splinted. It was a fun experience, though it now says the mine has trouble grasping. I hope it heals. :/

Oh, and I still can't figure out the new military controls - I'm pretty sure I assigned my squad some training weapons, but the aren't using them. Maybe I should appoint the armory dwarf one of these days...

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: April 24, 2010, 09:18:03 pm »

Well, tried my fort again from the last save, so did winter again. This time the game managed not to crash when the ocean and river thawed. Nice.

So I've discovered that buzzards are annoying little buggers as a group of them swooped into my keep from a hatch and stole some cheese. I'm going to need to build a hatch to keep them out. I also discovered that the undead marine life can get into my keep from below when a pump operator was attacked pumping water into the keep. It seems the keep is currently the least secure part of my town at the moment.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: April 24, 2010, 11:26:11 pm »

The attempt to (safely) drop a dwarf into the great magma sea failed, and has resulted in the deaths of a number of masons. this was unfortunate, as they seemed to be the social core of the fortress and led to a tantrum spiral. Abandoned, reclaimed, have spent nearly a year so far scavenging.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

riznar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: April 24, 2010, 11:58:34 pm »

Riznar has been frustrated lately. He lost a fort to tragedy lately. He has been accosted by a terrible aquifer lately.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: April 25, 2010, 01:29:27 am »

Argh. My current fort is on a grand megaengineering mission; to construct a series of locks that can lower a ship (imaginary, of course) from the ocean down into the various cavern levels below. I penetrated the aquifer and dug out a giant vertical shaft to the top of the upper cavern, which turned out to be a yawning chasm. I started a nice little fortress down there carved out entirely within a natural pillar standing 34 Z levels tall in the middle of the biggest open space I've ever seen underground, and began planning out how ships would get to the cavern floor from up there. I'm thinking I might construct a canal bridge across the middle of the open space. It'll be fantastic.

Then the goblins came. Just a couple of ambush parties, I figured it wouldn't be too hard. I had thirty dwarves at arms with decent enough equipment (though somewhat haphazard - salvaged and purchased, not made from scratch) and five legendary warriors among them. The ambushers descended to the bottom of the future lock shaft and I launched an ambush of my own, sending my troops in to hit them while they were still down in the canal.

I have no idea what went wrong. It should have been a slaughter, but instead it was a slaughter - my entire military was wiped out the the loss of only a handful of goblins. I was so shocked that I almost didn't think to lock the granite doors before the goblins got out of the access passage and into the caverns proper. But I did, and I was left at an impasse. The entire military might of my fort was dead and all my weapons and armor were lying in the charnel pit that the future canal bed had become. I suffered a minor tantrum spiral among the survivors, nothing fortress-ending but enough to keep my masons busy making coffins for a while. This being an ocean-shore map, I didn't think I had a good supply of water either - I had to quickly build a construction-lined reservoir and a pump to fill it with. I later saw a dwarf take a drink directly from the water at the underground shore, though, so perhaps I didn't need to panic about that - maybe cavern water isn't salty since it's sort of its own biome down there. Anyway. To make a long story short, I stayed sealed up underground for over a year licking my wounds and preparing a massive hall of traps. When I was finally ready I opened the doors, and the patient ambushers came pouring in to jump into my cages. Hooray! And just in the nick of time - a migrant wave arrived literally as the last team of ambushers decided to flee rather than fight.

I started a massive cleanup operation. The goblins had killed a band of human traders, and there were the corpses of my own military to deal with. Lots of work. Finally I was starting to get back to the task of canal engineering again... and then a Forgotten Beast showed up that was made of vomit, and thus was unkillable due to the current version's bugs. It came out of the worst possible cave access, too, there wasn't any way to wall it off before it reached my fort.

Argh. I'll see if my previous seasonal save is worth going back to, otherwise I'm going to shelve this save until .04 comes and see if that makes it possible to kill that thing.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: April 25, 2010, 02:13:17 am »

Hi!

My fortress is currently in the winter of 1060. My defensive wall is still not finished, so no invasions or cavern creatures yet (although the fifth weapon trap should be completed by now, helping protect the 3 tile wide path into the fortress that is to remain).

Just as I type this, my expedition leader FINALLY finished the negotiations with the outpost liaison. I am now positively sure that she hates conducting that meeting - all year long, I have her idle so as to encourage "clean" jobs. But they happen only sporadically (although she and the broker have made quite some progress fighting back the blood that once dominated the dining room, at least). However, once she starts conducting meetings with the liaison, I can hardly stop her from going on a cleaning spree!

I am still not sure, however, whether she simply hates the liaison (the liaison is rather skinny, so she might think of Cesar's comments), or whether she is frustrated since I haven't made her an office yet, forcing her to use the "Royal Dining Room" as it is classified (with 18 dwarves, I am far from getting anything in terms of nobility, of course).

So, I have had them dug out what will become her office and hope to finish it for next year's visit.

In other news, I am trying to curb fortress productivity to allow for more cleaning and maybe some marriages as well (^_^;;

Deathworks
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 3842