Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108537 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2385 on: April 22, 2010, 11:45:19 am »

Just as they cut him free from the web, he breathes his last, and finally,
"Rimtar Kivishlorbam, Cheesemaker, has bled to death."

I was pretty upset. They ate the spider in revenge.
Poor dwarf.  If he shows up in an engraving, post it!

endimiao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: April 22, 2010, 02:59:25 pm »

A new embark site with only 53 levels underground and a triving magma industry... A goblin ambush just tested my defenses being severely crippled by traps before engaging my main squad. Just as i was about to slaughter the creepers the game crashed. Bah... Seasonal autosave isnt really enough right now.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: April 22, 2010, 03:34:57 pm »

I now have three mayors.but it will give me an excuse to dig down to the caverns, which don't start 'til level -68
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Yagrum Bagarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: April 22, 2010, 03:37:45 pm »

As promised, here is Urist McOuch's wound list.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Looking at his treatment history, his red wounds were all cleaned, set, sutured, and dressed.  In the course of 5 days he had 8 bones set.  He only received one splint, on his left lower arm, even though my hospital is actually overstocked with them.
DF gives "Last Living Dwarf" a whole new meaning.

.gif credit (and thanks) to Whitney

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: April 22, 2010, 04:08:55 pm »

Had a green glass ass (that's literally what the game called it.  It was evidently a flying donkey made of glass) Forgotten Beast attack the fortress.  I sent down ten dwarves to kill it and they all bunched around it, slew it in due order, and then I dismissed them back to training, going back to what I was doing before (building a pump stack). 

About a minute later, I start getting tons of "Urist McPara cancels Rest: Paralyzed".  Eventually the paralyzed dwarves (after spamming the FUCK out of my announcements log) all died.  So while only 1 died in the initial battle, the damn ass took down 7 Dwarves with him.  Bastard.
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: April 22, 2010, 07:57:57 pm »

With my military still in the Keystone Cops stage, I had two goblin ambushes spring around the dwarf caravan.

Three merchants, two mules, a horse, a Marksdwarf, Axedwarf and Swordwarf vs. five macegoblins led by an axegoblin and 5 pikegoblins led by a swordgoblin. A pretty neat brawl developed that cost the lives of three of the pikegoblins and saw the rest off, some missing limbs. The only real casualty of the caravan was one of the mules with all four legs as well as its mouth in red after a real savaging during which its driver stayed by it the whole time. Then it struck me. The driver had been DRAGGING it throughout the fight trying to get away and now that the fight was over, he was DRAGGING it to the trade depot.

Yep. Leaving a trail of blood behind it all the way he dragged that poor mule's unconcious body all the way across the map, did business, and then dragged it back the way he came. It was still alive when he finally dragged it off the map. That dwarf was serious about business.
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: April 22, 2010, 09:52:26 pm »

as I went back in time and deconstructed part of the would be future capsule, several workers got swept into the volcano. due to the Lava bug they managed to map the place for me.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: April 22, 2010, 10:07:24 pm »

It's not exactly a bug. It's a "bug" persay that dwarves passing an area (even if they are burning alive or not actually seeing it) will map it by proximity, but it's not a bug that things don't instantly poof in magma anymore. It's a result of Toady's new more realistic modeling.

Hopefully he will eventually implement heat quantities so that things like evaporating water can be properly simulated. It's odd to see a dwarf boil alive because environmental heat evaporated some water from his skin. AFAIK, his fix for that is just a bugfix and not an entirely new heat/temperature/heat index formula implementation. Basically he just short-circuited that inherent problem with basing everything on temperatures by preventing it with a tag.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: April 22, 2010, 10:27:59 pm »

New fortress.  Planning on this one being mostly surface based, stone quarrying, mining, and magma operations are permitted to take place completely underground, but everything else happens on the surface.

I noticed something though. One of my masons picked up some dabbling mining skill.  He was one of the embark 7 and I know I didn't give him any mining skill, and he isn't set as a miner.

But as I take a closer look at his skills he is a dabbling observer as well.  His personality says he likes to try new things, is open minded to new ideas, and his stone grabbing route takes him right past the miners working furiously

Dwarf Fortress is awesome.  I think I'm going to place future meeting areas next to the weaponsmith's workshops in the future.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 10:30:45 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: April 22, 2010, 10:56:56 pm »

my for is trying to send a cat to the center of the earth so far its not working :(
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: April 22, 2010, 11:28:28 pm »

In an effort to give my world some flair, my current fortress is going to be multiple tall towers connected via walkways with a bridge opening out to a ledge.

Towers of Microcline.
Floors of Orthoclase.
Walkways of Schist.

My current work is setting up the walls/ceilings/walkways and carving the ground away to cause three big towers.
Preferably the underground will also be opened up/carved away, but I don't know how I could possibly make that look good.
I'll probably end up extending the walls and towers all the way to the bottom if the water doesn't get in the way.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: April 23, 2010, 12:18:40 am »

the Hydra current resident finally had enough of lurking near the cave entrance and came visiting. Chased a kobold around, got piled on by the war turtle-dogs that survived piling on another troll that crawled out of the cave, then massacred the squad I'd hoped to use to hold her at bay. I should've just pulled the drawbridge lever... Dwarf numbers have dropped from 15 to 5. One survivor is tantruming and will probably not survive the spring. the trader is alive still, one surviving miner is miserable and missing his left hand and right lower leg, and will probably die before anyone thinks to drag him to the hospital area...

the only probable sane people left are one child, one leatherworker and one trader. all recent immigrants. the rest are either dead or miserable. the hydra is not dead, but is currently not inclined to destroy the locked doors holding it in the wood stockpile. the outpost liason is dead. this should be fun....

.....oh, and the wood stockpile with the hydra is currently the only access to my food stockpile. won't be the only access, if one of the sane ones grabs a pickaxe and cuts a new route, but in the interim, its good that the spring thaw melted the brook somewhat.

edit 2: and because i forgot to mention this: apparently fighting megabeasts with no preparation whatsoever and only a pickaxe or axe for weapons at the most is good for the stats. all dead and surviving fighters are legendary in fighting.

edit 3: yes! major influx of immigrants! more meat for the hydra grinder! at least all the random junk and dead bodies will be hauled to a proper end now... now how should i kill the hydra...

edit 4: and the expedition leader has just gone berserk. wonderful
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 12:30:31 am by stormyseasons »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: April 23, 2010, 03:19:57 am »

I sent my six best champions (in 40d) to attempt to kill a bronzeiron colossus, including my captain of the guard, who had 64 dead goblins and demon spiders to his name. All of them were legendary wrestlers/armor users/proficient swordsmen.

The bronze colossus beat them down one by one, until the only ones who were left were the captain and my mayor's brother. The colossus threw the captain into a tree, where he exploded in a burst of metal and blood. Then the colossus trapped the mayor's brother next to an upraised bridge and slowly tore all his limbs off.

The colossus was modded to size 150 by the way.

Now I'm locked up inside the fort, trying to train new wrestlers to take the colossus on.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: April 23, 2010, 05:27:56 am »

Spent years training and arming a military with steel. First Forgotten Beast they encounter they kill without taking any injuries. Thought I was safe. Beast had poisonous blood. Four Legendary axedwarfs, 5 war dogs and a Dyer and all bled to death just from coming into contact with the corpse. Rest of the militia went into a tantrum spiral from losing so many friends and pets at once.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: April 23, 2010, 12:56:30 pm »

I meant the lava bug where they don't die immediately, they just lose all their fat and bleed to death.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 3842