Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1517 1518 [1519] 1520 1521 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099824 times)

Kepplerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #22770 on: May 13, 2012, 02:58:58 am »

Made a new fort, it has quite a bit of silver, so for my military, I'll probably make hammers.  My question is, considering the amount of hammer-resistant enemies ( demons, thralls, large animals and maybe forgotten beasts ) is having such a weapon as the staple for the military a good idea?  How are silver hammers compared to other weapons?

Also, how good are silver breastplates, helmets, shields, and other types of armor?

As far as I know, silver is useless for basically everything that isn't hammers, bolts, and balista arrows.
Having a sudden increase of additional units in the area can take your FPS down like a paraplegic on an ice covered hill.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22771 on: May 13, 2012, 03:02:16 am »

I need a way to deliver some stone to them though so they can make some mechanisms to complete thier defenses and build a well.

You could make an airlock using doors or draw bridges so that the dwarves could pass items back and forth, but have zero contact with one another.

That's what I was thinking. I can mine limoite and stone, and pass it to those outside. To those outside under "The Boss" (A legendary woodcutter and the mandorf responsible for the pallisade's building material) it would seem like an odd ontract from nowhere, with a sign on the outter door reading:

"You need that which is within more than us. our apologies, but we cannot contact eachother directly. There is some gypsum, shale, and limonite for weapons. Use it well. - Your friends, Edem Konosthak and Kikrost Asteshurdim"

I also took what I need from the elves, made a two floor food storage, readied the atomsmashers, and now the brave pair are going to face down the caverns... Alone.

@ NRDL
If it's all you have, it's better than nothing at all. Hammers can shatter bones so even if they can't land a good death blow, they will probably disable the target if nothing else. For shields they'd work well since they count as a bashing weapon when used as one.

I once had a fort swiming in gold and silver; It was all I had so I thought "Splint, time to make the pimpest fort ever."

The Commander got golden gem encrusted gear and was labeled "The Masterpimp" and all the soldiers "Pimp Muscle"

They did suprisingly well, given all thier weapons were made from gold or silver. Spears, swords, hammers... all of it. Gold and silver. Except the Masterpimp, he had a gem encrusted platinum hammer.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22772 on: May 13, 2012, 03:32:18 am »

Back your hammerdwarves up with marksdwarves armed with silver crossbows and bolts. Use copper shields, as it's rare for one NOT to ahve an ungodly quantity of copper, and copper is the best shield material short of modifying the raws to permit other materials be used for armor and weapons or praying for a metric fuckton of artifact platinum shields.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #22773 on: May 13, 2012, 03:42:02 am »

Wait, how is copper the best metal for shields?  Shouldn't stronger materials make stronger shields?

And also, believe it or not, I haven't struck tetrahedrite. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22774 on: May 13, 2012, 03:43:44 am »

Stronger materials make for stronger shields...

Obviously adamantine is the strongest, but I believe shield user skill plays a massive role too. Plus, adamantine isn't exactly dense, and shield strikes are blunt attacks.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22775 on: May 13, 2012, 03:55:02 am »

Caravan arrived, and is again ignored.

Airlock supply system is a sucess.

The Boss has begun clearcutting everything west of the river. We need alot of wood to build the apartments.

No humans arrived, probably expecting to be robbed like the elves. Going to be while until i get an anvil, so the ragtag band will be making due with... sadly, elven weaponry. But it's better than blunt hits with fancy nightsticks and quarterstaves. No new migrants either, so the popcap is holding, though there have been four births.

I probably won't be attacked because of my status as a miserable little pile of sticks and a dirtmound.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22776 on: May 13, 2012, 04:02:06 am »

Wait, how is copper the best metal for shields?  Shouldn't stronger materials make stronger shields?

Stronger materials make for stronger shields...

Obviously adamantine is the strongest, but I believe shield user skill plays a massive role too. Plus, adamantine isn't exactly dense, and shield strikes are blunt attacks.

Shield material has absolutely no effect on it's ability to block blows. That is why copper is the best shield material for vanilla DF; it is heavy enough to make for a good cudgel, but it's other properties don't matter. The only thing that affects a dwarf's ability to block blows with their shield is their skill, as even a featherwood shield will stop a slade war hammer or turn dragonfire cold without it's user breaking a sweat (but the ambient air temperature will still increase! Whoo for melting fat!), Implying in turn that a legendary misc. object user/shield user with two copper shields is ridiculously effective against goblins.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #22777 on: May 13, 2012, 04:08:49 am »

So...I can make wooden shields?  I don't mind the lack of blunt attack, I just need something to protect my two newly drafted hammer recruits. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22778 on: May 13, 2012, 04:15:26 am »

You would think silver would make a great shield ingame then....

Heavy, dense, so in theory, alegendary misc. object user would be even more devasting witha pair of silver shilds... I must find silver and test this.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #22779 on: May 13, 2012, 05:15:22 am »

Exploration Log, Imush Nakuthkel
4 Slate, 252
Outpost Cattenushil, "Channeledice"

Thinking back, it seems like so long ago since the ruin of The Sabres of Heat, the first and last independent Dwarven civilization.  I had not been born when that land fell, when the humans of the Confederation of Pokers and their Demon Lord Fivi Razorpoisons, the Hateful Thunder, took us in and even allowed us even to keep our ways.  That was in the year 97, over 150 years ago, and I do not believe there is a single dwarf alive who remembers those days.  Today, though, there are so few of us, less than two dozen that I know of.  If we fall, I know not who will carry our names to Armok, but even I, the youngest among us at 52, and the unwilling leader of our band, understand that we cannot back down from this.  I still remember those long hours of digging through old parchments and maps in the libraries of searching long-lost records of the distant south for any hint of where we could create a new home.  Finally, we had discovered what we thought would be the perfect location.  A glacial mountain far distant from those damnable elves who destroyed our home, who still hate us and hunt us down even in human lands, past even the splinter faction that broke away from them after the Harrowing and now dominates the southern plains and forests.  I have spoken to the elven rulers of the Sky of Feeding; they share no love for us, either, but they never agreed with the Harrowing, and the lands we are destined for were far beyond any they had any desire for.  They knew of our destination, a great glacier and a volcanic mountain with no name in the southern wastes; an evil land, they claimed.  We scoffed, then; surely, they were exaggerating.  We had seen no such rumors in the far north from whence we had hailed.  The seven of us, for then we were only seven, continued south to that mountain with no name. 

Perhaps, thinking back on that, it was a mistake.  Oh, that place where we founded Cattenushil was indeed perfect in that no one would wish it for themselves, as we found, but it was far beyond even our expectations.  The shambling of that long dead yeti, almost all of its body rotted or missing, told us the truth of this land, one that would drain our souls and reanimate our bodies even after death.  Worse, we found that our supplies were running low; crossing half the world had left us with less than a year's worth of drink and food, and there was no soil here, no place to grow our seeds.  We would need to dig deeply, indeed, and quickly.  Even with the blessing of Datan Goldcrested, Mother Goddess of earth and mountains, we could not rest even for a second, but we did all of this and more.  We secured ourselves within the icy side of the mountain overlooking the molten caldera, and prepared our defenses.  No more undead came, but that yeti still wanders the mountain, waiting, and the rumors of the elves were unsettling enough that, rather than let our horses starve to death or butcher them for food, we cast them into the volcano where their bodies, burned, would not rise again.  So too, more dwarves came.  Some to live, and some to trade, claiming to represent the abandoned throne and the undying legacy of the last king, the few and scattered dwarves who yet remained in human lands.  We had dug deeply, churning out trade goods from against all hope, and just as we had given that hope up for lost along with the last of our ale, that caravan we never expected came with fermentable foods and drink to sustain us with newcomer Likot Tiristasmel at its head.  At that time, too, our miners Dobar and Uzol succeeded in breaching a cavern of water which we even now are preparing to bring up to the surface by bucket brigade for our farms.  Primitive, and embarrassing to see it written down here plainly even by my own pen, but candidly, we haven't the time or the resources to dig out a full pump system yet.  Too, we have yet to breach the caldera, but when we do, we shall have all we need for iron, gold, and steel.  All we need is sand for glass and wood for beds, but the liaison has promised to come again, and we expect both the elves and humans will come as well. 

We will build a mountainhome here, I swear it.  We shall surpass the ancient halls of Coalmatched, Towerdawns, and Windcopper, fallen over a century ago, and create a new civilization for our people.  This oath I swear again this year, before Datan Goldcrested, ruler of mountains and earth, before Katthir the Healing Barricade, governor of fortresses, and before all the ancient deities of the dwarves. 

~~~

When I learned that my latest world was named Todiecamo, I probably should have taken it as a hint.  On top of that, I took a terrifying glacier embark when I have absolutely no experience with glaciers, but at least I got the evil effect I was finally looking for.  I still haven't seen any weird weather, which has me a little concerned, but I'm sure it'll come up eventually, and I'm air-tight in a pinch.  As long as that yeti stays out and I don't get any really weird moods for bones or something (though now that I jinxed it, note to self: get bones and shells at the earliest opportunity), I should be safe for the moment.  Even if I didn't know until looking in Legendviewer just now that the Dwarves had been extinct for over a century, I'm really looking forward to this.  Seems I'll have to rely on natural growth to improve my fortress.  I'd better spike the booze and get some good air circulation going for those dwarven spores...

Also, Legends Viewer did reveal that there is precisely one dwarf who would have seen the fall of the dwarves, contrary to Imush's beliefs.  Mind you, Litast Chambermoon is likely not very talkative, having that whole "were curse" on top of "last of her kind" thing to deal with, and she's been busy pursuing a once-sided vendetta against the (wrong!) elves for the last century, so I probably won't be seeing her at all.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 05:19:10 am by Culise »

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22780 on: May 13, 2012, 05:25:32 am »

I also have a terrifying glacier embark, with no prior experience of them.

We're going strong! (Lack of evil stuff besides instant death clouds that sweep over the surface.)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #22781 on: May 13, 2012, 07:50:24 am »

My current fort ( the one with the hammerdwarves, and all my incessant questions ) is going nicely.  I have about 50 plus dwarves, which means I have a nice workforce for removing refuse, storing stuff in stockpiles, and building. 

However, with great numbers, comes great problems.  These guys seem to drink their booze in a synchronized manner, causing my alcohol supplies to dwindle rapidly.  I'm trying to remedy this by creating a bunch of craft workshops and stills.  The craft shops make rock pots ( set to repeat forever ) while my 6 or so stills keep pumping out alcohol. 

Hope this conveyor belt project of mine works. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #22782 on: May 13, 2012, 07:56:05 am »

Finally the Colossal giant scorpion that killed a WHOLE siege of 60 armed tugs was struck down! A berserker craftsman helped in the fight; she had her FRONTAL LOBE destroyed by the beast, was injected with poison and she's missing her left lower arm! She'll have a special bedroom from now on.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22783 on: May 13, 2012, 08:02:28 am »

Bodies refuse to be dumped, bridges refused to be built, diseases refuse to be stopped. The usual.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22784 on: May 13, 2012, 08:53:17 am »

It just rained in RabbitHut,
Somehow, 1/8 of the evil biome got soot covering from the rain.
Not sure how that happened, but at least all my dwarves were inside.

And in undeath biomes, 1 cow = like 5 hides & 2 hairs with the right setup.

Hut is updated.
Pages: 1 ... 1517 1518 [1519] 1520 1521 ... 3842