Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1516 1517 [1518] 1519 1520 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099842 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #22755 on: May 12, 2012, 08:53:59 pm »

Back in silentthunders, construction is slow, still haven't completed a single level.
I also have reason to believe an entire Kobold ambush died somewhere, while still sneaking. Cute. Their corpses are nowhere to be found, but considering it is an evil biome after all, I wouldn't be surprised if their corpses found me later.
And on that Koboldy-note, a single thief just made a kinda-mockery out of one of my Military captains, admittedly not the best, but was basically 3 pages of that Kobold always going for kill shots and being blocked by life saving layers of armour.
The Kobold was later incapacitated by Evil rain and slain by a wandering hammerdwarf nearby. The moose pit also grew in size with the advent of migrant pets and said Kobolds.
The rain also struck the elf caravans, causing none to die (so far).

Meanwhile, whilst slabbing Kobolds I've never seen before in my halls of recorded death, I stumbled upon the slab for the necromancer from the raven bomb disaster.

Turns out the Dwarf was a king. Shame I never got to build that tower. Devoted father and husband. Was probably just trying to steal some booze and corpses for his kids ;[

Things I just noticed:
1. My manager is called Workshark. Yes.
2. The Rope of Seizures.
3. This guy might be a bit old.

Kepplerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22756 on: May 12, 2012, 09:05:33 pm »

Looks like my fort will be dying a slow death via tantrum spiral. Gotta remember to either kill the kids off early on, or have a fuckton of clothes ready for them in the future.
Having a sudden increase of additional units in the area can take your FPS down like a paraplegic on an ice covered hill.

Karranir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22757 on: May 12, 2012, 09:37:47 pm »

This fort is going well. Boringly so. Thousands of turkey eggs and plants and brew, tons of bone crafts and leather, cranking out steel armor for my 4 Axe Lords, 4 Sword Masters and 4 Hammer Lords. Nothing has happened that they haven't been able to chop in half. Another hundred immigrants to go...

I wonder if I should bother making the nobility happy.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22758 on: May 12, 2012, 09:50:13 pm »

Looks like my fort will be dying a slow death via tantrum spiral. Gotta remember to either kill the kids off early on, or have a fuckton of clothes ready for them in the future.

Actually that reminds me to do so, thanks.

My Stonecrafter has hit Accomplished, and suddenly makes 2 masterwork crafts.
Then she has a baby.

Coincedence ??
Do pregnant dwarves make better crafts?

No update yet, 12-hour workdays have me drained.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #22759 on: May 12, 2012, 09:52:09 pm »

I kind of keep hoping they'd bring me a pair of black mambas or some other critter with instakill poison bite.
(No such luck so far; who in their right mind would even buy a giant flying squirrel?)
Illustrated, because.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Kepplerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22760 on: May 12, 2012, 09:53:39 pm »

I kind of keep hoping they'd bring me a pair of black mambas or some other critter with instakill poison bite.
(No such luck so far; who in their right mind would even buy a giant flying squirrel?)
Illustrated, because.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I applaud your artwork
Having a sudden increase of additional units in the area can take your FPS down like a paraplegic on an ice covered hill.

MrButtchicker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22761 on: May 12, 2012, 10:19:55 pm »

Checking my artifact list filled with blue text while looking at the only 'real' one. It is a forgotten beast bone throne. I have never fought a forgotten beast.

Also, I saw {forgotten beast} is enraged. Scared, I checked my units screen. It's not there. :o

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22762 on: May 12, 2012, 10:25:08 pm »

Means that an animal man is putting the smack down on a forgotten beast, usually. They only enrage when they're badly injured.
« Reply #22763 on: May 12, 2012, 10:27:25 pm »

The more I play, the better I get at managing a good fort, and now I am taking more risks in where I start.

After the fall of my last fort due to flooding, I started a new one in a nice area with a cool water fall. Lost 1 dumbass fisher dwarf to the fall, even though I restricted their fishing and drinking to a more stable part of the river before ever unpausing. Lost another dwarf in an unfortunate cave-in while sculpting an entrance under the waterfall, while another still was brutally mangled and died months later after succumbing to his injuries.

Rough couple of years there. But now we have a new problem; my dwarves are trapped by the vile undead, and though all the freshly slain bodies of my cattle and the wild animals top-side, there does not appear to be a necromancer. I know I did not start in an evil biome, so I don't think it could be some sort of resurrecting fog or if the necromancer is merely stealthed somewhere. None of my dwarves have been killed by the undead, and, at least with my current population, everything we need is underground, safe from harm so they can sustain themselves indefinitely.

It's fairly fresh, however, so I don't have a military other than the 5 best dwarves drafted after the siege began to clean up the undead that can safely be attacked during winter when the 3 rivers freeze, leaving only a few undead left to deal with. I also have not started the metal industry yet which is the worst of it, because we were running low on wood and I had just designated a large grove to harvest top-side when the siege struck. So we have little wood to make charcoal to start making coke with. Best option now is to dig to magma. At least there is plenty of iron and marble so I can make steel, once I have the fuel to do so.

If this fortress falls, I will come back as an adventurer and clean up the nearby necro tower before reclaiming the fort.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22764 on: May 12, 2012, 11:54:47 pm »

Chaos has broken lose in my fortress. Not accompanied by death, as far as my citizens go...

First, a mountain titan showed up with it's noxious excretions, bipassed all of my heavil water-based defenses, and the militia had a hell of a time putting it down. The war dogs passed out shrotly due to it's extract that caused dizziness and severe drowsiness. Not sure if there were other effects, though.

After that got mopped up, I dropped the roof on the dwarven caravan that had been trying to flee the scene after refusing to accept my far over-generous offer. It's been six months, but as long as the wagons were ok the merchants and their animals remained sane. The instant the roof fell and took out the wagons, every last one of them went bonkers. Of course I didn't consider the fact that my depot was directly on top of a huge stockpile and the farm workshop area. So, I had berserker horses in the kitchens assaulting the chefs. I caleld in the militia and they were put down without further injury, but there's still plenty of melancholy horses and merchants slowly dying of sadness at the loss of their wagons around the fort. At least with the fortress' current residential death toll being one, there's plenty of coffins to go around. Anyway, the hole in the roof permitted nearly everything in the depot that I was keeping the merchants from leaving with to end up in the kitchens. Hopefully the collapse didn't destroy too much of it...

Assassinos! Dragonman infiltrators spread their unholy flames to the innocent populace! A dog has been burned alive and a stoneworker set alight, now spreading the plague of !!death!! across the landscape! He perished in the corpse stockpile, yet the land still burns like a tinderbox! Now is not the time for it to finally stop raining, damnit!

The majority of the dog population died in the blaze, but of general livestock only a couple unwanted rams died.
Also, those dogs that were affected by the titan's syndrome have begun to rot away. Steer clear of that crap...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 12:23:07 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22765 on: May 13, 2012, 12:34:19 am »

A vile siege of darkness arrived. Of course, we just turtled... 72 invaders vs. 16 poorly trained and armed army. Not gonna end well.

So it's much safer to seal up.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22766 on: May 13, 2012, 12:40:43 am »

Shit. One of the merchants' melancholy horses gave birth. Maybe she was depressed becasue she managed to get pregnant while strapped to a cart...

The foal is also a part of the merchant caravan, apparently.

Wait - I unpaused and looked away for a minute, and the merchants and their animals vanished. Turns out, they all died at exactly the same time and nobody cared to report it. Hah! The foal is now 'friendly' and walking away solemnly. Poor child...

And then? There's a vampire among us!
Sarvesh the woodworker ahs been found dead, drained of blood!

This is actually the first vampire I've ever had to deal with, despite playing a half dozen long-running forts since 34.01. No idea why I haven't had dwarves being sucked dry before, besides having bad luck with finding the cool stuff like this.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 01:00:47 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22767 on: May 13, 2012, 02:00:11 am »

So far so good, the daring pair have a training axe to fell giant shrooms and catch cavern life. Asa precaution, I'm going to add in some atom smashers and plant the lever in thier bedroom.

The soldiers-turned-farmers have essentially finished thier little palisade defenses, and if more migrants arrive despite no contact really with the diplomat or the caravan, They can drop such tasks and train seriously with thier wooden arsenal.

I need a way to deliver some stone tot hem though so they can make some mechanisms to complete thier defenses and build a well.

EDIT: So a giant badger wandered into the pallisade, and the fight litarally consited of a guy getting woke up from his nap, punching it in the nose, and it running out of the compound.

Badgers are fucking pussies now. A real giant badger woulda tore that carpenter to shreds!

Kepplerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22768 on: May 13, 2012, 02:49:24 am »

I need a way to deliver some stone tot hem though so they can make some mechanisms to complete thier defenses and build a well.

You could make an airlock using doors or draw bridges so that the dwarves could pass items back and forth, but have zero contact with one another.

EDIT: Also, since dwarves aren't into incest, you're going to have to introduce another dwarf who can make babbies with the children of the Adam and Eve pair.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 02:52:27 am by Kepplerr »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #22769 on: May 13, 2012, 02:57:25 am »

Made a new fort, it has quite a bit of silver, so for my military, I'll probably make hammers.  My question is, considering the amount of hammer-resistant enemies ( demons, thralls, large animals and maybe forgotten beasts ) is having such a weapon as the staple for the military a good idea?  How are silver hammers compared to other weapons?

Also, how good are silver breastplates, helmets, shields, and other types of armor? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.
Pages: 1 ... 1516 1517 [1518] 1519 1520 ... 3842