Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1515 1516 [1517] 1518 1519 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100028 times)

Kepplerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #22740 on: May 12, 2012, 04:40:32 pm »

Mine seem to be naturally inclined to violence. They like biting and kicking things their mothers fight.

Mine just throw tantrums in the dining hall and occasionally start fist fights that they don't get in trouble for.
Having a sudden increase of additional units in the area can take your FPS down like a paraplegic on an ice covered hill.
« Reply #22741 on: May 12, 2012, 05:09:59 pm »

I just lost in the most glorious (and stupid) ways ever. Yes; there was much !!FUN!! involved.

I started in a Mirthful forest. There was also an aquifer on the site, but thankfully it was only 2 z-levels and had a bunch of sections where you could tunnel through it safely. There was a river and everything, but it froze in the winter, so I needed an underground water source for power and drinking.

Making the well was easy enough. Just dug a room above the aquifer, channeled a hole in it and put the well over the hole. However, I would eventually also need power, and a water wheel wouldn't work too good on the surface (at least, to my knowledge). So I started a little project. A project that would be my doom.

I dug a nice long trench under the aquifer so that I could pierce the aquifer and have it drain into the ditch. I dug it all the way to the edge of the map thinking the water would exit the map. I did make a gate and lever at the crucial point where I could seal off the tunnel should it start to flood when I pierced the damp stone. Unfortunately, the flooding wasn't immediate like I thought it might be. It fell into the trench nicely and filled it up. Then it started to overflow. It overflowed when I wasn't paying attention, so when I finally notice, it was too late. The gate could not be closed. The water flowed down into the tombs. Then the main dining hall. Then the stock pile and bedrooms, and workshops, until eventually everyone not outside died.

I figured I could salvage the fort. I still had about 14 dwarves who were on the surface hunting, fishing and beekeeping when everyone else drowned. But I didn't have any axes, or picks not submerged under several levels of water, and then I was sieged by goblins before the next caravan arrived to buy some.

Kepplerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22742 on: May 12, 2012, 05:14:43 pm »

I just lost in the most glorious (and stupid) ways ever. Yes; there was much !!FUN!! involved.

I started in a Mirthful forest. There was also an aquifer on the site, but thankfully it was only 2 z-levels and had a bunch of sections where you could tunnel through it safely. There was a river and everything, but it froze in the winter, so I needed an underground water source for power and drinking.

Making the well was easy enough. Just dug a room above the aquifer, channeled a hole in it and put the well over the hole. However, I would eventually also need power, and a water wheel wouldn't work too good on the surface (at least, to my knowledge). So I started a little project. A project that would be my doom.

I dug a nice long trench under the aquifer so that I could pierce the aquifer and have it drain into the ditch. I dug it all the way to the edge of the map thinking the water would exit the map. I did make a gate and lever at the crucial point where I could seal off the tunnel should it start to flood when I pierced the damp stone. Unfortunately, the flooding wasn't immediate like I thought it might be. It fell into the trench nicely and filled it up. Then it started to overflow. It overflowed when I wasn't paying attention, so when I finally notice, it was too late. The gate could not be closed. The water flowed down into the tombs. Then the main dining hall. Then the stock pile and bedrooms, and workshops, until eventually everyone not outside died.

I figured I could salvage the fort. I still had about 14 dwarves who were on the surface hunting, fishing and beekeeping when everyone else drowned. But I didn't have any axes, or picks not submerged under several levels of water, and then I was sieged by goblins before the next caravan arrived to buy some.

Rest In Peace
Having a sudden increase of additional units in the area can take your FPS down like a paraplegic on an ice covered hill.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22743 on: May 12, 2012, 05:16:38 pm »

Would have been epic if they'd pulled a victory out of thier asses somehow.

RetSpline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22744 on: May 12, 2012, 05:24:50 pm »

There I was, sitting pretty at 60 FPS with a population of 36 dwarves, with my pop cap set at 35 since before I embarked. I had a pretty good fortress that was pleasing to me as I was using it as an experiment to diverge from my deeply ingrained and boring design habits. Since I normally quit my forts out of frustration before the second spring, it was nice to finally have a few industries fully staffed while still having a large contingent of useless haulers to tap into whenever I got around to setting up a metal industry or getting a real military together.

Then, all of the suden, 21 new useless migrants showed up. I think the best skill among the group was an Amateur Metalsmith. Oh, and a Competent Strand Extractor, for what that's worth. But all the unit management and training up dwarves from scratch isn't that big of a deal to me. The main problem is that my FPS is starting to get all shot up. I now fluctuate between 45 and 55 all over the place and while it's still technically playable I can tell it's going to get a lot worse very soon. I've started making sure all animals are caged up and tried to optimize the pathing a bit around my fortress but that hardly made a difference. It'd seem a shame to start over now, especially since this has been by far my most successful fortress in quite a while. I may have to start culling some dwarves for the good of the rest. Y'know, I did build a cave-in system into my depot design. Maybe I should actually test that thing out...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22745 on: May 12, 2012, 05:36:19 pm »

decided to use a different copy of DF for the hermit challenge. Well here an Adam and Eve challenge. So far so good. The only other residents seem to be alonlely snapping turtle man and a tribe of bushtit people.

EDIT: Definatly expecting a nice little clan developing. The two are lovers now.

Kepplerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22746 on: May 12, 2012, 06:52:07 pm »

I can now tame the children of the white tigermen POWs. They are goddamn adorable.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #22747 on: May 12, 2012, 07:08:56 pm »

I just had the stupidest caravan ever. 5 horses' worth, just finished entering the map edge when A Force of Darkness has Arrived! I quickly assess the enemy positions, figure that they're going to just stand around for about 20 seconds or so, and calculate that yes, the merchants do have enough time to make it to the safety of my entrance tunnels. And, indeed, they do, happily trotting through without ever coming within sight range of those mean, nasty goblins.

. . . all except for that one last merchant, who, for whatever reason, was lagging well behind the others. Horse went lame? He stopped to pick some fisher berries? We will never know. A squad of Lashers intercepted his path before he could reach my entrance and--you already know what happened to him & his horse. But the instant he died, all the other merchants & their guards did an about-face and marched right back out again, directly into the waiting Lashers.

So now I have some free "goods," and a 2.8 craptons of free "not-so-goods." I am now also looking up slabs & coffins on the wiki, to see how to memorialize dwarves who are not citizens.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22748 on: May 12, 2012, 07:12:32 pm »

because the migrants had military skills, it didn't feel right wasting them. But sadly, there is no training mace or hammer, so they'll have to relearn thier abilities with fancy nightsticks and quarterstaves. They live seperatly from the Adam and Eve pair.

A single woodcutter is supplying thier wood, three farmers and a fisherman thier food. A clothier turned weaponmaker providing shields, wooden weapons, and bolts and bows.

Dwarven caravan goes ignored. Awaiting the pair's first child.

Kepplerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22749 on: May 12, 2012, 07:33:26 pm »

Just had another child go berserk in his bedroom and nearly beat his baby sister and mother to death before the hammerlords got to him.

EDIT: I locked 7 of the depressed, tantruming kids in a room together.

One of them went berserk and killed two other kids before the rest beat him to death.
Another died of dehydration.
Of the remaining three, two are Melancholy.
The third, which happens to be the one that killed the zerker, is dehydrated and starving but still sane.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 07:45:05 pm by Kepplerr »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22750 on: May 12, 2012, 08:02:08 pm »

I find it odd the killer is the one still holding his mind together. Drop some food and drink into the room for him, the fact he just witnessed that horrible clusterfuck and lived, and indeed killed to survive without breaking, shows potential.

If he is still sane, save him! drop a few caskets and a bed down too. Seriously, that little scrapper's got potential should his sanity hold.

Kepplerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22751 on: May 12, 2012, 08:08:04 pm »

I find it odd the killer is the one still holding his mind together. Drop some food and drink into the room for him, the fact he just witnessed that horrible clusterfuck and lived, and indeed killed to survive without breaking, shows potential.

If he is still sane, save him! drop a few caskets and a bed down too. Seriously, that little scrapper's got potential should his sanity hold.

I tried, but it seems that my children are all extremely mentally fragile because he went insane and died of dehydration.

I'm quite surprised that it's only my children becoming miserable and going insane.

EDIT: Also, on a happier note, due to all of the insanity, the original number of children (52) has dropped down to 37 and is still falling.

EDIT2:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There goes another...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 08:14:07 pm by Kepplerr »

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22752 on: May 12, 2012, 08:20:07 pm »

"A kidnapper has made off with the Tantrumer Sarvesh Wheelplanks!"

GOOD RIDDANCE.

That child's been tantrumming on and off the better part of a year, and she also broke one of my marksdwarves' legs...

Work on the Great Road is still ongoing. Our two miners don't seem to want to dig all that much. Also, turns out that my first mayor, the vampire, was called Enosm Stafffolded the something of other thing. Cool.

We also have our first titled dwarf. A macedwarf managed to kill five goblins in the last ambush.

A long drop has been constructed for the execution of the goblin (and dwarf) prisoners captured in the last siege. The first one to be thrown down, one Snodub McHammerman, exploded on impact with the floor. Everywhere has a coating of Snodub McHammerman's goblin blood, and his arms and legs and head flew off.

It's working. :D

Also, question, do thieves and master thieves still escape from confinement when being led to a pit?

Kepplerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22753 on: May 12, 2012, 08:22:34 pm »

Also, question, do thieves and master thieves still escape from confinement when being led to a pit?

IIRC, they don't. But keep some militia stationed nearby just in case.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22754 on: May 12, 2012, 08:53:21 pm »

My forts progressing, lots of hematite and native copper, as well as gold and aluminum, just in the above ground volcano levels.  A caravan arrives.  :) Yay.  An ambush, curse them!  Uh, shit.  Okay, maybe the caravan guards can...
Holy shit.  The guards DESTROYED the goblins effortlessly. But the caravan won't trade with me.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
I'm beginning to design a new trap for the goblins, with repeating wooden spikes, for maximum pain.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 1515 1516 [1517] 1518 1519 ... 3842