Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1418 1419 [1420] 1421 1422 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5962242 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #21285 on: March 27, 2012, 08:32:44 pm »

I am going to embark with A single platinum bar, some gold, an anvil, and coal.
My champion will run off PURE BLING. Golden armor, with a platinum hammer.

I love modding this game.

I hope to make this the mightiest of fortresses I have done yet! Wish me luck my fellow beards. I embark as I send this message with the mail liason.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21286 on: March 27, 2012, 08:58:38 pm »

I think it's true, though it may just be from them bleeding out from unattended/poorly attended injuries, with an infection just making matters worse.

I considered that, but I also noticed that as I observed the dwarves over the course of about an hour they grew from faint to pale, then just rise back up over time. Nevertheless there are several dwarves still in my fort who are infected with no blood defects whatsoever.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21287 on: March 27, 2012, 09:02:54 pm »

Native copper, tetrahedrite and now native gold.
Truly, this place is blessed by the Gods of Metal.  ::)

Looks like I have enogh bismuth bronze axes for now, time to make me some breastplates...
The spiked pit project is slowly trudging forward, as well as weapon traps for the antechamber. Already a goblin snatcher following an ambush into town had his head removed by a spinning -silver battle axe-. The ambushers themselves caught a sudden case of the gravity being a harsh mistress and were finished off by the militia.
Bedrooms are being made available on a "first sleepy, first served" basis and the nobles' quarters are being dug out. All in all, life is good. Well, except for all those bloody xsockxs piling up everywhere...
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21288 on: March 27, 2012, 09:35:35 pm »

A story briefly told by excerpts from my combat and event logs

The magma crab is fighting (zoom to the top level of the volcano)
The Hunter Morul Inethsemor is fighting (The Hunter jumps away from the spinning basalt)
A masterwork of Ral Likotkab has been lost
Morul Inethsemor, Hunter, has been missing for a week.

Darn! Another evaporated unburiable, unmemorializable dwarf. At least not until the next bugfix release.

And the caravans are taking the most incredibly circuitous route to my depot.

Meanwhile, Kol Ushatsakrith, the first native-born child is very happy wearing his exceptional-quality silk cap and exceptional quality pig-tail robe, trousers, sock, sock, sock and shoe.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 09:52:28 pm by lazygun »

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21289 on: March 27, 2012, 10:05:30 pm »

So I made a new 34.06 fort.  Meet the fortress of Boottwilights.

Split biome. 
Biome #1:  Warm temperate forest... Joyous Wilds.  Mmmm, unicorn tallow biscuits.  I had no idea that the color scheme for good biomes in 34.06 looks like something the caterpillar from Alice in Wonderland would come up with while trippin'.
Biome #2:  Rocky Wasteland.  Yay, hordes of vultures.  And sand!  Oh, green glass serrated disc x1000, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways!

This biome requires a fairly serious air defense.  Not only do you get the vultures mentioned above, you get Giant Peach-Faced Lovebirds and many other flying annoyances.  (Observed behavior:  When one giant peach-faced lovebird died, another one hovered nearby in the Z-level above it and interrupted the "get the corpse of the first lovebird for butchering" job a hundred times.  When my hunter finally shot the second one, the corpse fell onto a tree.  My woodcutter had to cut the tree down before the butcher could access it.)

I haven't found flux yet.  I'm hoping for marble further down, but a working copy of dfhack for 34.06 would be even better...  I do have iron, and some tetrahedrite, and ANOTHER Legendary Weaponsmith due to a very fortunate mood early on, and a couple of really good armorsmiths.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 10:14:04 pm by MenacesWithSpikes »
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21290 on: March 27, 2012, 10:11:17 pm »

An elf caravan just uncovered a huge goblin ambush.  This was extremely fortunate, because:
1) I needed a lot of lumber (My caves have no trees in them?? And desert biome)
2) I don't like paying for things.
3) They wiped a lot of each other out.
4) I probably would have slaughtered the elves anyway.
5) I got about 3-400 goblin, elf, and yak meat out of the deal.

Elf tallow biscuits are way tastier than unicorn tallow biscuits.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21291 on: March 27, 2012, 10:21:03 pm »

I just modded wolves to be trainable.

GO GO GADGET RAVENOUS WOLF PACK ARMY
[Signature]

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21292 on: March 27, 2012, 10:29:43 pm »

I plan to train up a good weaponsmith and then gift my hammerman with a masterwork, and if possible, decorated masterfully platinum blinghammer. So far, I've stripmined a small hill's innards, made a few obsidian swords, I've also made a pair of floodgates and will probably disasterously fail to breach the side of my volcano to make a small forge for my overland settlement. Oh and made elves hostile babysnatchers. And clear cut the forest in the area. And will use coal for the first few itemsI make.

masquerine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21293 on: March 27, 2012, 11:49:22 pm »

Embarked in a non-evil place with a high mountain on two sides, with about 3/4 of the map being flat. Made a small platform in the middle and a small maze of fortifications for invaders to wade through to get to the entrance of my fort in the flat area. This is tower defense. Every dwarf has a military group so they will always wear armor and have a weapon, and the majority of them are crossbowdwarves. I only request the aid of the skilled worker dwarves in emergencies (which won't be until the major siege parties come).

Most of the population is haulers with the non-quality reliant jobs turned on (or if there is quality the workshop will have a minimum setting so they can't use it, like mason's workshop). These are the go-to guys when anything wants to enter the maze. Although completely unnecessary, it is hilarious to see 40 dwarves all shooting bolts at either a single enemy or several enemies, like a pack of birds. BOLTS EVERYWHERE! They completely litter the mountainside with stray bolts and blood. Normally I just send one squad a time to station until they get low on ammo or start getting hungry, then the next shift takes over. Was working pretty well.

I did forget at the start that unskilled marksdwarves can't shoot through fortifications, so that got a bit messy. I had to sacrifice a melee squad to lure the siege party of white tigermen and war raptors away from the entrance and into marksdwarf range. Some other haulers got stuck in a fear loop and ended up standing there until the white tigerman spearmaster came and lopped them to pieces. Next time I'll just start off with a wide open area with bridges to seal the invaders in for the archers to practice shooting at before I make the fortification maze. Also should have a hatch or two leading to safety tunnels below for emergencies like that. If I tried to move them as a squad order they'd instead try to engage the tigermen and would have died anyway. Just bad setup about the whole can't shoot through forts thing.

The rain of bolts is so satisfying to see. All it takes is one stray bolt to the leg and the target is stunned/immobile, and when there's hundreds of them flying at once there's a good chance of slowing the invaders down. Only bad thing would be trying to collect the bolts, as the dwarves carry them one by one. I just use dfhack to autodump them to avoid spending years of hauling bolt by bolt. That would be pretty boring to watch them do.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21294 on: March 28, 2012, 12:01:47 am »

Welp, my goal for a pimphammer general has been stalled. I accidently flooded the lower floor of the forge building, and only a set of obsidian doors and hatchcovers saved the area from a forest fire. On the pluss side, I can still use the upper floor of the builing for a forgeworks. I hope.

However, If I really need a FUCK EVERYTHING option, I just have someone knock one of the doors down to unleash the magma. Will magma flow up through magam forges and such? If not, I'm gonna need to use obsidian floodgates the next time around.... The microcline ones got rendered into molten silt.

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #21295 on: March 28, 2012, 12:47:00 am »

A werebear arrived at my fortress. "This will show you why you fear the night!" Due to bad planning on my part, I still had most of my stuff set up outside, and I didn't have any militia to speak of. But I did have a few migrants with combat training, so I set up a squad and hoped for the best.

So, two dwarves and a child were killed, but the werebear seemed to be having trouble. Suddenly I saw tiny 2s exploding outward from the melee. Upon examining them, each one was a "werebear tooth". Upon examining the werebear, "its teeth are gone".

One of my dwarves apparently punched the werebear's teeth out. Then the bear turned human and ran the hell away.

I guess there's only one thing to say...OWNED.
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21296 on: March 28, 2012, 12:49:14 am »

Will magma flow up through magam forges and such?

If the magma is pressurised with a pump and the forge isn't covering it with its unwalkable tile.
[Signature]

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21297 on: March 28, 2012, 12:50:38 am »

I made sure to put the unwalkable tile over for safty. So I messed that hob up, but thanks to constructions not being meltable yet, I averted quite a mess...

EDIT: Bone Carver went funny in the head, and made "Tubekiller" a horsebone coffin.

I do not like this omen.

Electrode

• Bay Watcher
  • murmurs horrible curses
    • View Profile
« Reply #21298 on: March 28, 2012, 02:00:48 am »

My last fort:

* Embarked on a volcano next to a temperate forest
* Start digging out a magma chamber for forges
* Urist McMiner is incinerated before he can reach the stairwell one tile away
* Medthob McOtherminer starts tantruming
* Carve a slab, build a nice memorial hall in Urist's honor
* All is well for about a year
* No surface water, so dig down to the caverns, build a cistern, build wells from dining hall and dorm/hospital to said cistern
* Urist McFoodie cancels Give Food: No food available
* OH SHIT! Start slaughtering everything in sight, assign more dorfs to plant crops
* Up to my knees in lavish meals within a few months
* Wall in an area for some surface farm plots, worry about roof later
* A vile force of darkness has arrived!
* Swarm of gobbos on flying mounts comes pouring in through said surface farm area
* !!FUN!! ensues

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21299 on: March 28, 2012, 02:04:12 am »

Quote from: Electrode

* A vile force of darkness has arrived!
* Swarm of gobbos on flying mounts

I'm jealous!  I haven't fought mounted siegers ever.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.
Pages: 1 ... 1418 1419 [1420] 1421 1422 ... 3838