Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1417 1418 [1419] 1420 1421 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5965560 times)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #21270 on: March 27, 2012, 04:38:44 pm »

As stated elsewhere, zombie muscle shells are annoying.  They don't seem to do more than force your dwarves to take up boxing, while ignoring all their important tasks.  Its quite entertaining to have my dwarves face off 2:1 against them, however. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21271 on: March 27, 2012, 04:47:01 pm »

That was anticlimatic.  The goblins chopped of the titan's foot and then dogpiled it for 25 pages or so until one of them killed it.  Where's the fun in that?!

Managed to lure them into the fort and the array of cage trap waiting for them.  Most were captured, but two got slaughtered by the might of my entire army.

Migrant wave.  Got a dorf named Ducim Oslangúr.   That means Windbowel.  Guess who's going to get blamed next time we have a miasma problem.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Felicido

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21272 on: March 27, 2012, 04:50:48 pm »

So I decided to start my fortress in a haunted region. Digged a comfy little hole on the side of the hill, with the stockpiles on the ground level and the bedrooms, dining hall and workshops underground. Just didn't bother to wall the entrance which I cunningly made wide enough for everyone and their dog/cat to come through at once (well not quite, but you get the idea). Then, a cloud of nefarious ash passed by, huskifying some of the hapless wildlife. Excited and terrified (but mostly excited), I drafted a few dwarves and made them beat the everloving undead shit out of the one that approached them and wasn't covered in anything nasty.

One dorf got his face smashed in and another got sent to bed unconscious from his injuries. Everything seemed fine until an ash-covered kangaroo caught up to a fleeing Animal Caretaker. After he turned he began to rip the kangaroo to shreds above my fortress. I tried (in panic) to make my dwarves wall the entrance with something, which I still had cunningly left wide open in case there was no fun to be had. Nothing happened, until it came from the desert from the hilltop. Luckily I had some dogs to attack their former caretaker. Unluckily it didn't really matter since it eventually proceeded to kill all of the impromptu militia (except the unconscious one), chasing them to the underground dining hall. It returned briefly to the surface to bite my doctor to death, who I also drafted and ordered to die in the name of Armok. At this point, the thing had both it's legs and most of it's arms cut off.

As if this all wasn't like something out of an obscure horror movie already, the nearly limbless husk then proceeded to crawl it's way underground, through a long and dark corridor to the bed of the sole surviving dwarf who was slipping in and out of consciousness, so it could gnaw and shake it's helpless victim like a chewing toy for several pages worth of combat reports. This is why I play Dwarf Fortress.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21273 on: March 27, 2012, 04:54:22 pm »

I've started a preparatory fortress in the adventurer succession world save to prepare. Embarked on a perfectly normal, boring landscape; 50% low mountain range, 50% hills/desert. It's autumn of the first year and the caravan has come by, and they brought some kobold thieves with them. One of them made it inside to the depot and was promptly chased back out by the guards, where she was killed. However, almost immediately her hand came back to life. What the hell? This region isn't evil or anything. There shouldn't be any regional interactions going on at all! But here I have an undead kobold hand, before any necromancers have arrived.

Edit;

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What the hell!? Where is he!? In ambush? I must capture them!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 04:59:25 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #21274 on: March 27, 2012, 05:10:58 pm »

Convicted the death of some people on a giant toad.
Tantrum fast ensues.

EDIT: These vampires in my fort are smart.
They're going after nobles and military captains!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 05:22:51 pm by RabblerouserGT »

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

CptFastbreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21275 on: March 27, 2012, 05:31:08 pm »

My dwarves elected a convicted vampire as mayor. It's a bit of a conundrum, because I would like to lock him away, but then he can't meet with diplomats.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21276 on: March 27, 2012, 05:35:56 pm »

The bastard necromancer is still hiding in ambush somewhere. I'm having a wall built around my refuse pile now to prevent the numerous kobold corpses and body parts from being resurrected.

They already managed to kill a dwarf by breaking his spine, and his wife is miserable.

I just lost three more soldiers to the enxt undead outbreak. This is going to hell in a handbasket real fast.

ALERT:
The bastard has been spotted trying to sneak through the entryway!

Time for PAYBACK.

Edit the second;
Damnit, he made it topside and resurrected the refuse pile again!

They were all put down, including the necromancer, but not before losing the head stoneworker to the zombie menace.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 05:48:33 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21277 on: March 27, 2012, 06:26:32 pm »

An FB arrives! Without a proper defense i wall-up the last block in the cavern-breach / farm plot walls.
I check the combat reports and panic as i see "The Forgotten Beast is fighting!" it must have gotten in somehow...

Its been fighting with the tribe of Ratpeople sat in the cavern, and its dead!
A wooden blowgun dart to the head. Wooden, blowdart...
A Ratwoman Blowgunner is now named.
Ribimpio "Squeezemired" The Ratwoman Blowgunner will live in Infamy among her tribe.

I must spam statues until i get one of a rat...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21278 on: March 27, 2012, 06:46:20 pm »

The deaths have caused a mini tantrum spiral in my fortress, only saved by a massive migrant wave during the spring of year 2. With the head stoneworker dead, the other miner quickly went berserk and had to be put down, only managing to injure one of the immigrants. The Head Woodsdwarf had killed an immigrating clerk in a tantrum-induced rage, and actually went melancholy a month later, walked back to the meeting zone, and pointed out the corpse of the dwarf he killed. Apparently the other 20-30 dwarves standing in the meeting zone with him at the time neither noticed the poor dwarf's long, drawn-out death by beating, nor the corpse laying by the edge of the brook. Morons.

The local doctor just gave birth, so unless more tragedy occurs she and her husband should be fine for a while...
I make Spellcrafts!

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21279 on: March 27, 2012, 07:45:17 pm »

I just noticed that my captain of the guard, one of the first wave of immigrants, has an uncle who immigrated in wave 8. And a cousin in wave 6. Cool! And then I find lots of other immigrants have relations in my fort too. Of course, the year is 109 in a small world with short worldgen, so I expect pretty much every historical dwarf is related to every other one.

This is so cool! My legendary clothier who immigrated in wave 3 along with 44 others, was joined by her mother and *her* mother in wave 6.

Down to 10 idlers from 60+ due to my job creation scheme of hauling 100s of gabbro  boulders from the depths where my miners are digging a copy of my fort closer to the magma and candy, and waiting for the 3rd dwarven caravan. We're on an island isolated from human, goblin and elf-kind so the supplies will be incredibly welcome, especially since the only metals veins we've found are gold, gold and gold.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 07:59:54 pm by lazygun »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21280 on: March 27, 2012, 08:03:36 pm »

Clearly you must mod gold to be armorable, and deck out the cavern watch team in pure bling of war.

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21281 on: March 27, 2012, 08:04:39 pm »

Man, micro-managing your dwarves can be a pain.

I got 31 now, and half the time half of them aren't doing jack.
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21282 on: March 27, 2012, 08:09:13 pm »

FUCKIN KOBOLDS BE STEALIN' FROM MUH FORT

and I have no military to take them out with....
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21283 on: March 27, 2012, 08:10:38 pm »

Man, micro-managing your dwarves can be a pain.

I got 31 now, and half the time half of them aren't doing jack.

Find jobs that need doing: Half the place a rough-hewn lump of crap? EVERYONE ON ENGRAVER DETAIL.
SHort on soldiers? Mass enlistment from your loyal nationalistic masses!
Walls need building? Clearly they've volunteered for mason duty.
Need weapons and armor? Well then you got a good crop of recruits to work with.

EDIT: I advise mass conscription if they jack more than a few worthless trinkets. They will come in force.

Owly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21284 on: March 27, 2012, 08:27:45 pm »

A buzzard just stole some of my buzzard meat. This is amusing me more than it really should.

EDIT: Argh. These buzzards are like badgers.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 08:37:12 pm by Owly »
!!Emergency Irrigation!!
Pages: 1 ... 1417 1418 [1419] 1420 1421 ... 3838