Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1415 1416 [1417] 1418 1419 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5965724 times)

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #21240 on: March 26, 2012, 03:09:48 pm »

Oookay then. Well, I managed to pull through the threatened tantrum spiral from a few pages ago, with only a handful of deaths. Thinks are going fairly well right now... well, other than swimming in a TON of x(clothes)x that I'm trying to unload on merchants.

I also just had the Humans send a diplomat for the first time. A cave fish woman lawgiver vampire, who also apparently happens to be a woodcutter in her spare time. o_O Okayyyy then. They also seem to have a few goblin "ladies" in their nobility over there, sounds like an interesting community! And now that I think about it, I also had one of their traders or guards turn into a were-deer last time they were here trading, and have to be put down. Luckily they didn't seem to hold that against me.

I really don't want to know WHAT they're getting up to over in their civilization.

wanzerm23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • 6 plus - I play too many video games
« Reply #21241 on: March 26, 2012, 03:10:16 pm »

My fort seems to be running pretty good.  Which is bad.  Because I'm trying to blog about it, but nothing really cool is happening.  I need to build something.  Something obscene.  But I don't know what....

Obscene you say? Why not make the fort in the shape of a male's genitalia?

Hmmm... what if I just make a giant phallus-shaped statue?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21242 on: March 26, 2012, 03:49:32 pm »

Metal industry was about set up to prepare the fort for the first few goblin ambushes since it was just the beginning of the second year...

"the dead walk!"

ooooh, so that was that tower on the horizon.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21243 on: March 26, 2012, 04:04:01 pm »

Finally, finally... finished (somewhat) work on the mod, struck the earth.
Oh f**k, a pack of modded wolves consisting of tainted wood that is as tough as copper is on the map! DIG IN QUICK

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21244 on: March 26, 2012, 04:11:46 pm »

Hey, I thought only clothes degraded. I see a XBronze HelmetX.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21245 on: March 26, 2012, 04:32:23 pm »

Hey, I thought only clothes degraded. I see a XBronze HelmetX.

If magma/fire of high enough temp was involved, then I'd say that's more partially melted/deformed.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21246 on: March 26, 2012, 08:16:25 pm »

The Goblin General's siege just arrived, and was quite promptly subdued at the sacrifice of the incoming dwarven caravan. Luckily the liaison made it in, as well as one of the wagons, so I won't be sending a report of total loss to the mountainhome.... :D

My marksdwarves provided a lot of covering fire for the merchant guards, but they simply couldn't stop ALL the goblins. Most of the caravan was massacred.

The general and his squad of pikemen fled the map after two of their pikemen were incapacitated. Goddamn cowards. It actually seemed that the general would rally them for a short while, but ultimately he ran away before any of his goblin underlings could even catch up.

I would have opened up the fortress to allow my 20 dwarf strong melee militia force to sweep the goblins out but the civilians, bless their idling souls, hopped right at the opportunity to go and grab everything from the battlefield. So ended the siege of 254, with not a single death of a dwarf of Athelilid.

In other news, crundle training is grinding to a frustrating halt, so I'm simply butchering most of them. Even my idle dwarves just don't have the attention span to cater to them.

Efforts in the lower mines to search for additional caverns have thus far been unsuccessful. I believe the first cavern I breached was in fact on the third cavern layer, and so I will have to search upwards to find anything. I have yet to find any magma sea on this map.

The current dining hall, which seats 40, is being expanded to an upper level that can accommodate at least 60 additional dwarves, so hopefully they won't be so crammed in the tower any more.

Lokum Syruplord the Honorable decided it was necessary to wipe some crundle blood off the walls in the lower caves as she was manning the traps. Not only was she carrying her baby, but one of her kids was also following her around. I would HATE to lose her... just so hard to keep the nobles safe.

I recently discovered that my champion is in fact a rather frail, timid old lady. In spite of the fact that she's the greatest swordsdwarf in the fortress. It's good to know how humiliated the goblins must feel when a feeble little dwarf like Kogan (Kogan Oiledvale the Short Taker) slaughters their asses.

At least 8 of my dwarves, who are all in my military, are infected. I feel that they've been this way for ages... I certainly hope nothing comes of it. Is it true that dwarves who are going to die of infection will become pale or faint before they are killed?

...Upon typing that it occurs to me that I have a 160-dwarf fortress, but have yet to discover a single vampire. No deaths drained of blood or anything, but now that I realize what was probably causing the pallor in my infected dwarves I will keep extra vigil all around. I have absolutely no idea who the vampire might be.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21247 on: March 26, 2012, 08:24:15 pm »

I think it's true, though it may just be from them bleeding out from unattended/poorly attended injuries, with an infection just making matters worse.

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21248 on: March 26, 2012, 11:18:00 pm »

I managed to trap one of my miners.

I can't seem to dig out him out at all. He's stuck below my other dwarves and can't get back up to a higher floor.

On the other hand, I found some bitchin' pink jade
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21249 on: March 26, 2012, 11:33:24 pm »

I managed to dig him out.

ALso:

This is not how you build a fortress
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21250 on: March 27, 2012, 01:34:35 am »

My queen accidentally arrived, so i kicked my countess out of her room so the queen could move in and now EVERY IDLER IS A MASON so I can finish the death tower where she, her family and all of the 'privileged' dorfs will live, speeding along with only 6 more levels to go! You'd be amazed what 60 masons can accomplish

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21251 on: March 27, 2012, 08:09:54 am »

Expanded a room, TWO FBs turn up at once, one has deadly dust...

Ten dead plus, a Spearmaster, one of the first to achieve an Epic kill (of a Titan). Even Candy armor cannot pretect your lungs from the FB poison :(

One of the Spire-coves is being fitted with a Silver Coffin and Steel Door for his eternal rest. It will be engraved by legendary engravers only.

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #21252 on: March 27, 2012, 08:59:34 am »

NEW FORT! After a short time at adventure mode.

Fortress: Fancyfountains
Group Name: The Brilliant Trade

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21253 on: March 27, 2012, 08:59:50 am »

There's some kind of flying earthworm down in the (walled shut) caverns that killed my spelunkin' kittens. :(
One of the poor kitties recieved an injection of forgotten beast venom directly in the heart, which was sort of overkill considering it bled to death in an instant. The other had a leg torn off and bled to death as well.
The kitties did put a dent in the worm's wings and body, though.

BtW, are FB:s hostile to any other subterranean wildlife?
My previous fort had a lobster and tick FB happily camp in the caverns together, so apparently they do not fight each other, at least.

Wondering if I should make an effort to mop up any cavern dwellers and wall off the map edges in the near future... I think I'll see to armoring and training my troops further before I do, though. There's no great hurry to go spelunking, as the only things of interest in the 1st cavern seem to be subterranean trees and a couple of ore veins. (The latter I'm intent on mining out safely before breaching the cavern walls.) No magma ~= not worth the risk.

BtW2: It seems pretty much all above-ground water counts as "stagnant", is that correct? If this is the case then estalishing an underground pumping station may be in order. Also, is all of the underground water "powered" by default? If so, it could be an easy way to power my as-yet unfinished mist generator... (Otherwise I'll have to channel all the way down from the surface and build a wind farm up there I guess.)
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21254 on: March 27, 2012, 10:13:55 am »

After my last embark in Joyous wilds yielding no unicorns or Sun berries. I generated another world. And was more lucky. Finding a Joyous wilds heavy forest. And within the first month saw a herd of 3 Unicorns and harvested some Sun Berry. Pretty much like the last fort it seems the Aquifer is only 1 level deep so that shouldn't take too long to plug. Once I have stone I can start making some cage traps and start working on mastering Unicorn taming and Sunshine brewing!

After piercing the Aquifer level I discover there are multiple obsidian layers beneath the soil layers. my favorite building material. Meaning gold might not be far away either.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 10:35:53 am by Lexx »
Pages: 1 ... 1415 1416 [1417] 1418 1419 ... 3838