Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1416 1417 [1418] 1419 1420 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5965768 times)

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #21255 on: March 27, 2012, 10:20:26 am »

After my last embark in Joyous wilds yielding no unicorns or Sun berries. I generated another world. And was more lucky. Finding a Joyous wilds heavy forest. And within the first month say a herd of 3 Unicorns and harvested some Sun Berry. Pretty much like the last fort it seems the Aquifer is only 1 level deep so that shouldn't take too long to plug. Once I have stone I can start making some cage traps and start working on mastering Unicorn taming and Sunshine brewing!
You can't tame unicorns without modifying the raws.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21256 on: March 27, 2012, 10:40:02 am »

After my last embark in Joyous wilds yielding no unicorns or Sun berries. I generated another world. And was more lucky. Finding a Joyous wilds heavy forest. And within the first month say a herd of 3 Unicorns and harvested some Sun Berry. Pretty much like the last fort it seems the Aquifer is only 1 level deep so that shouldn't take too long to plug. Once I have stone I can start making some cage traps and start working on mastering Unicorn taming and Sunshine brewing!
You can't tame unicorns without modifying the raws.

Didn't the new taming mechanics eliminate the need to remove [PET_EXOTIC] anyway? If not I was used to doing it in past editions anyway.

Edit:. Nevermind just peeked at the raws specifically and added trainable to make sure.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 10:41:37 am by Lexx »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21257 on: March 27, 2012, 11:04:34 am »

I was amazed at the efficiency of my cats, half the map covered in dead vermin it seemed. Wait, what is that falcon doing? Oh wow, bird of prey really hunt. I wonder if they'll adopt an owner too.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21258 on: March 27, 2012, 11:25:39 am »

Hey, I thought only clothes degraded. I see a XBronze HelmetX.

If magma/fire of high enough temp was involved, then I'd say that's more partially melted/deformed.
No fire involved. Might have been goblin, though.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #21259 on: March 27, 2012, 12:26:34 pm »

Crap. No coal here.
Well, I guess this could be a good fortress for looting in adventure mode.

Also, very little amount of metals at all.

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21260 on: March 27, 2012, 12:29:06 pm »

First trade in new version:
*OMG, wagons are huge (25k of capacity!)
*trading single stack requires 2 enters :'(
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21261 on: March 27, 2012, 12:33:09 pm »

Hey, I thought only clothes degraded. I see a XBronze HelmetX.

If magma/fire of high enough temp was involved, then I'd say that's more partially melted/deformed.
No fire involved. Might have been goblin, though.

I've noticed that some enemies bring damaged items with them now

And what is it with everyone wanting coal? I'm doing fine without, it's just a bit more dangerous as long as you have to send woodcutters outside. After a while I just make a soil layer into tree farms and a rock layer irrigated if I feel fancy.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21262 on: March 27, 2012, 01:06:01 pm »

I have 20 immigrants. Not a lot of dorfs.
I'll feel better when I've discovered magma.. but that means I need more immigrants for backup soldiers in case things go weird.

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21263 on: March 27, 2012, 01:08:51 pm »

And what is it with everyone wanting coal? I'm doing fine without, it's just a bit more dangerous as long as you have to send woodcutters outside. After a while I just make a soil layer into tree farms and a rock layer irrigated if I feel fancy.

Because 1 log =1 charcoal while 1 bituminous coal = 3 coke.  It lasts longer.  Yeah trees work okay, but coal's just more efficient.  Maybe too it's because decent embark sites with coal and iron aren't all that easy to find.

Anyway, started up a new fort with 34.05, in my second year.  Humans have dropped by to trade, unloaded some trade goods the dorfs don't want on them and some roasts in exchange for a bunch of logs, some animals to butcher, fish, cheese and one measly bin of wool cloth.  Not long after I finish the trade, this comes up:

A vile force of darkness has arrived!

Ah.  Goblin Christmas in July.   :P

Little do the gobbos know I have been making very good use of the extensive magnetite and limonite deposits near the surface.  As well as the crapton of leather I bought from the last dorf caravan.
Let's hope my marksdorfs know how to use their bloody quivers this time.

If the goblins want in, they got to get through this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Fortified bunker above the main entrance with two levels of fortifications for marksdwarves.  The path inside is covered with cage traps, those animals I bough gave me some more extras, so I'll put down some more.  And those two marksdwarves there at least know what a quiver is for.  Time to initiate DORFCON 1 and get all the civilians inside.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21264 on: March 27, 2012, 01:25:48 pm »

Breached the caverns.
Thought "Fuck it, I don't care much for this fortress anyways. Why not take chances?"

Magma pool as soon as I breach. :D

Stil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21265 on: March 27, 2012, 01:29:45 pm »

Just found out that there is a giant rock pillar in the center of the 1st layer caverns - it naturally sits underneath my fort so I'm quite happy to keep drilling down through it :)

Military embark (well a teacher with some weapon skills) paying off - so many thieves and snatchers have been dispatched with no loses. By the time the first ambush hits I'm going to be more than ready.

Not started farming yet - want to tap the river for crops and possibly a small tree farm so I can avoid the surface all together.
"This in particular, simply because it's so siggable." Ironyowl

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21266 on: March 27, 2012, 01:31:17 pm »

New idea. I'm going to build a strictly above ground dojo (maybe with storage cellars and humble dirt quarters). Only industries will be subsistence farming and cloth. Every citizen will be a member of the military 50% of citizens will be training at any given time and they'll all be completely unarmed and unarmored.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21267 on: March 27, 2012, 01:38:50 pm »

I think the game felt I was too cocky about the gobbos and threw a titan into the mix as well.

BRING IT
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21268 on: March 27, 2012, 03:37:35 pm »

down 50z, no cavern. Lets do some exploratory mining.

you have found an underground cavern
masons, seal the breach
masons, another breach!
eh, masons? hello? Hey you, you are now a mason!

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21269 on: March 27, 2012, 04:30:57 pm »

Crap. No coal here.
Well, I guess this could be a good fortress for looting in adventure mode.

Also, very little amount of metals at all.
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.
Pages: 1 ... 1416 1417 [1418] 1419 1420 ... 3838