Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1173 1174 [1175] 1176 1177 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094080 times)

MaxZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Doot doodoo de doo
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #17610 on: December 10, 2011, 08:33:11 am »

Elk birds can't fly.

fine, it waddled

Got my first forgotten beast of this new fort. Ngalek. A gigantic bloated blob composed of vomit and a massive shell.

And it was killed via the counterstrikes (counter pecks?) of a blue peacock that i had accidentally walled into the cavern, heh

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
  • RAW RAW OUT THINK THA POWAH!!!
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #17611 on: December 10, 2011, 12:42:20 pm »

So. I'm trying to get ametal industry up in my new fort in its second year and I can't seem to find flux for the life of me. I mean sure galena and 50 percent chance of getting silver for war hammers and maces but mostly I'm just getting lead which. Is used in lay pewter and that's it... lay pewter a complex way of saying shit in dwarf.

I mean dammit what am I going to do with all this lead?

Further I need to figure how military works or I will never be sure that my squad wil be eqiupped properly with aforementioned silver war hammers and maces.

Anf finally... I've run out of things to do in this fort despite having enough obssidian for really anything thrown my way....  this may stem from not even knowing how to mak3e a well let alone a danger room.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 12:50:08 pm by Kc_spot »
Yours is the fort that will pierce the hells!

Oh look, A DF blog.

This is a goblin skull loo. all craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with troll teeth.

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17612 on: December 10, 2011, 12:44:42 pm »

Lead furniture will make your dwarves happy. Most likely.
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
  • RAW RAW OUT THINK THA POWAH!!!
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #17613 on: December 10, 2011, 12:51:39 pm »

Hmm that may give me something to do.... can you make lead anvils?
Yours is the fort that will pierce the hells!

Oh look, A DF blog.

This is a goblin skull loo. all craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with troll teeth.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17614 on: December 10, 2011, 01:04:20 pm »

If you have logs, you can use the obsidian to make stone swords. They're not quite as good as steel, but comparable with most other weapons-grade metal for now (there are rumors of breakable weapons in the future; obsidian will supposedly be extra susceptible). If you use those as bladed weapons, and galena's silver byproducts for blunt weapons, you should be pretty good, and you can save your iron/bronze/steel for armor.

I don't imagine lead anvils would be very good; it's a soft metal, and melts at a relatively low temp. Intro is right about lead furniture being nice for your dwarves, especially if you have a good metalcrafter/blacksmith on the job. I also used lead to make a statue-garden in one fort. If all else fails, you can make lead crafts and sell them to import iron/bronze/steel/etc.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17615 on: December 10, 2011, 02:27:46 pm »

Windows task manager just revealed to me that dwarf fortress has been running in the background for probably more than 24 hours, without me knowing, due to it not showing up on the task bar. I have no idea what's going on in the fortress now. I suspect this is immediately after the defeat of the kobolds.

And the slaughter of all of my war animals...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17616 on: December 10, 2011, 04:53:32 pm »

DF, why must you mock me so?

Fort Demon-Spears has reached the end of its first winter. Already we have a legendary weaponsmith and overall decently running fort. But I also lost my self insert όber awesome speardwarf when a capybara man threw him into the lake. Not a month later I lost a recruit when he figured it was a good idea to dodge a capybara by jumping into the lake. And to top it all, my legendary mason went into a mood and produced... *drumroll* a microcline cabinet. If I were any more melodramatic I would cry.

Spoiler: Kc_spot (click to show/hide)

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17617 on: December 10, 2011, 05:30:36 pm »

Ha! I am so smart. I finally figured out a solution to the infuriating burrow-hauling problem I've been having forever.

So I have my hospital burrowed, right? My doctors have private apartments right by the ward, and there's a separate little canteen thing with some dining tables. There are food and booze stockpiles there — little ones — that "take from" the main food and booze stockpiles, so my docs never have to walk out of the hospital wing. Works great.

Except whenever my docs go to the canteen to take a drink and end up emptying the pot — as in, the drinking doctor dwarf drinks the last unit of booze in that pot — he ends up holding an empty pot. "Aha!" he thinks, being a dwarf. "Must take to empty-pot stockpile six and a half miles across the fortress, far from my responsibilities." Braaaaaazt. Cancels job, drop-off inaccessible … nine hundred times a microsecond.

So I had a brainwave. I put a two-tile "empty pots" stockpile in my hospital, right inside the door … then set the main empty-pot stockpile to take from it! Meaning now, whenever my idiots find themselves mysteriously holding an empty pot — "Booze gone, where booze go? Must haul now despite having all hauling labors disabled" — they can take it like twenty steps and drop it in the "empties" stockpile. Seconds later, an idle hauler will get a text or something and march over from a nearby meeting area to pick up the empty and move it to the main stockpile.

Brilliant!

Now everybody should feel free to tell me how this trick was discovered years ago and is on the wiki in giant bold-faced type … or something.

Zinc23

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity Squared is Fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #17618 on: December 10, 2011, 07:28:37 pm »

I almost forgot to unassign my militia of three from their Goblin kill mission.  So they were just standing around in the cold, damp meeting area, starving and thirsty.  Then I unassigned them and they rushed to the food and drink.  Dodged a bullet there.
The fastest GM in the woooooooorld!

Sidhien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17619 on: December 10, 2011, 09:18:36 pm »

My manager was recently shot outside the fortress in a goblin ambush and was taken to the hospital to recover. 5 minutes later I get the message that he was struck down. In the hospital. By a wild elk.

:-\

Kazimir86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17620 on: December 11, 2011, 02:39:23 am »

Tantrum spiral due to accidentally deleting a burrow when adding a new one. Down to 24 healthy, sane dwarves. Playing Fortress Defense mod with 2 active sieges as well as a goblin ambush. Already lost my steel-clad military to an unusually large beakwolf siege that were all mounted on bull moose. (laughed a bit at a visual of a wolf riding a moose)

yamgrenade

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels task: Is a Dumba**
    • View Profile
« Reply #17621 on: December 11, 2011, 09:19:41 am »

Well, I had a bit of bad luck just now.

I have a separate mine fairly far from the entrance to Bannervipers, because only the top layer has the coal and magnetite I need for weapon and armor smithing. So, naturally, I have several dwarves out in the open hauling coal and ore. Then, all of a sudden, I get two ambushes and three snatchers simultaneously. All from different angles. They bore down on my miners and haulers, but luckily only killed 1 miner and injured another. For some reason they just ran afterwards (Or maybe hid again, now that I think about it) One snatcher grabbed a kid that was just standing topside for no reason (I can just see a teeny dwarf standing around whistling while a goblin takes him and shoves him into a bag) even though I have a burrow in the dining area for all children and babies, but the other two got caged.

Now I need a really brutal way to kill these damn goblins. Suggestions?
Right now I'm thinking about turning him into a pincushion with a novice marksdwarf and wooden bolts :D

EDIT: THEY KILLED MY WEAPONSMITH/ARMORER!

Ok, I'm gonna GIB the gobbos. I'm gonna chop off all their limbs and leave them as torso's.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 09:34:21 am by yamgrenade »

moisesjns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17622 on: December 11, 2011, 11:50:35 am »

this monster is a theropod with a broad shell external rib cage,feathers and poison bite. it killed 3 of my dwarfs and beat one of my dwarfs half to death with a sock. if only i could post the pic.

Kumquat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17623 on: December 11, 2011, 11:52:10 am »

Just let them go.

Actually, be extra nice to them and give them a long corridor especially for the purpose with something that goblins especially love, such as *serrated green glass discs*.

Anyway.

A minotaur showed up. He did not have an invitation to Roughshaft so I didn't bother lowering the drawbridge. He also refused to enter any of the guest palanquins (i.e. cage traps). I decided to let him wander about a while in case he'd get bored and wander off. Of course that's not happening.

Later the liaison and the annual caravan from homelands show up. The liaison runs into a band of goblin experimental medicine students (bowmen) but does not survive the long-distance acupuncture. On the other edge the merchants run into another band. The merchants try to flee, and the lonely minotaur rushes in to help, giving the goblins a lesson about civil manners and some friendly patting with his maul. Caravan guards join in as well. In the end only the guards are standing.

This is too much for the merchants. One by one they lose their minds and go berserk. Goblins help one to calm down permanently. Two others have a spirited discussion and only one survives. The remaining merchant stands still, fuming in rage. Caravan guards have no caravan to guard any more so they depart.

Elsewhere, the militia of Roughshaft emerges and meets a band of swordgoblins. They don't have an invitation either, so they are requested to leave. They do so, so swiftly that a few of them die of whiplash.

The citizens of Roughshaft proceed to claim the spoils from the battlefield. So many bloody (troll fur socks) to gather, and all the merchandise. The berserk merchant punches a hole in a bowyer's brain, so the militia make him calm down. The overseer queues up another batch of coffins.

"The Caravan from Fikud Likot is departing."

While the citizens finish up stockpiling the goods, the final survivor of the caravan, an insane merchant's yak, crawls off to the edge of map and alone takes news of the event back to Mountainhome.

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #17624 on: December 11, 2011, 11:56:23 am »

What a sad day for my fortress.

I was digging down to the magma once again and already planned some walls to seal it off from the cavern, but there was this one really fast forgotten beast...

"The Forgotten Beast punches The militia commander in the head with its right hand, bruising the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing apart the brain!
Fikod Asizsakzul Bithsesudib Stukon, Axedwarf has been struck down."

Her name translates into "Fikod Flashedtrumpets the Triangular Syrup of Squashing" and she was the most experienced and best fighter.. rest in peace.
Pages: 1 ... 1173 1174 [1175] 1176 1177 ... 3842