Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1171 1172 [1173] 1174 1175 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094358 times)

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #17580 on: December 07, 2011, 03:06:49 am »

one of my ...onix dwarves? are they called like that those of genesis who have fire in their hands?
well, he was left outside during a centaur siege, and got surrounded by the centaurs on top of a grassy plateau.
"now you die, little dwarf" *chief centaur
"ahahaha" *go the other centaurs
"are you sure? we all die today for tonight, WE DINE IN HELL" *flame ball on the centaur face, which got melted.
the following fire melted off the centaur's face, ended on the grass, burned the grass and burned the centaur mob, while some escaped crying for their mommas others died burning in the fiery fires of my onyx dwarf...who was a farmer.
he so loved nature.
blessed be he.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17581 on: December 07, 2011, 01:18:30 pm »

@ Mr. Frog, check and see if your lost snail is floating around in the air somewhere. I've had glitched goblin parts hover for a while after a particularly brutal siegebreaking. If she is, try using some siege weapons to... er... knock her down?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17582 on: December 07, 2011, 02:16:32 pm »

I fiddled around with the raws to make Mermaid Farming as plausible and awesome as it ever was.My new fort will trade only mermaid bone crafts/

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17583 on: December 07, 2011, 06:32:01 pm »

Bannerskies has fallen. Yes, already. It was the summer of 105. Things were going swimmingly, with 167 dwarves and a small but effective army that had turned away all invaders, including a demon-led siege. (The demon never entered the fray. A squad of lashers were chewed to bits by the marksdwarves on the towers, then a squad each of speargobs and hammergobs were brunoised by my sworddwarves, and the siege was broken. Kind of anticlimactic, really.)

No, what brought down Bannerskies was something really weird in the caverns. I hadn't breached them yet, having hit the magma sea with a lucky shot straight down. All was well until I got greedy and breached them … at which point my FPS went straight into the toilet and never recovered. It went from about 90 down to 18 and just stayed there for a full season. I liked that fort, but not that much.

I probably did something stupid with some tweaked worldgen parameters. I read someplace that reducing the number of caverns and making them dry could help latter-game FPS, but what I accomplished was the exact opposite. I'll be undoing that change before my embark.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17584 on: December 08, 2011, 12:13:59 am »

Suggestion - use reveal from DFhack - it sounds like sth trapped inside caverns and spamming pathfinder requests (known bug).
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17585 on: December 08, 2011, 12:34:14 am »

Winter in Limulunnos. The reservoir is now at 5/7 on the top floor and 7/7 on the bottom. The river's frozen so it's not full yet... Ah well.

Dwarves from Vathezzan, the Virginal Artifact showed up. We bought an elephant and two swords, as it was all we could afford.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #17586 on: December 08, 2011, 04:41:17 am »

Just caged the whole siege.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17587 on: December 08, 2011, 05:01:18 am »

Elves from Tise Vafice, the ... Dead Birds arrived. We bought a grizzly and some alcohol off them. We had our two new military injured by kobold thieves.

The second, much, much larger reservoir has been constructed and is filling swiftly.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17588 on: December 08, 2011, 06:31:09 am »

My fort, Clashcloisters, is still pretty much a giant lava flow on one side, a massive waterfall on the other side and a big valley filled with lava, water and obsidian in the middle. :P Occasionally a guineapig, small dog or even a dwarf will get washed away from the fort, (which is built in the mountain above the waterfall, which I created by accident) smashing into a red paste on the rocks miles below.

I kinda expect people to declare war on me soon, as any traders have all their goods and pack animals washed away as they try to reach my trade depot... Kindof a good, if unintentional setup! ;D My FPS is at 17<16>, according to the counter-thingy. Is that bad?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17589 on: December 08, 2011, 08:03:46 am »

My fort, Clashcloisters, is still pretty much a giant lava flow on one side, a massive waterfall on the other side and a big valley filled with lava, water and obsidian in the middle. :P Occasionally a guineapig, small dog or even a dwarf will get washed away from the fort, (which is built in the mountain above the waterfall, which I created by accident) smashing into a red paste on the rocks miles below.

I kinda expect people to declare war on me soon, as any traders have all their goods and pack animals washed away as they try to reach my trade depot... Kindof a good, if unintentional setup! ;D My FPS is at 17<16>, according to the counter-thingy. Is that bad?
When it drops lower than 16 I ragequit.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17590 on: December 08, 2011, 11:51:37 am »

Tradecradled celebrates its 10th birthday with the construction of a large (144 blocks + base) golden cross on top of the castle roof. Only two dwarves were lost during the construction (legendary mason & armoursmith), while a miller and a potash maker received serious fractures and bruised internal organs, but have since recovered. In addition to gold, the cross stands on a platinum ramp foundation.

With the demise of our aluminum loving armoursmith mayor, a new mayor with love for iron, short swords and ballista arrows has been elected. A new new mayor has been elected with a trifle pewter fetish.

Another of our legendary smiths was stabbed by a kobold, causing nerve damage to his hands. His forging ability is as good as ever, fortunately.

Final preparations have been made. Every last desire satiated. The fort is ready. Cetha, Redari, Themita, Xungô, Buqui, Megob, Ikud and Idar shall face the stoutfolk tonight. Dwarves feasting on forgotten flesh, or beasts of the deep gulping steelclad warriors down their bellies? The setting sun will tell.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17591 on: December 08, 2011, 12:25:41 pm »

My miners haven't found the caverns yet.
They're too busy expanding the catacombs to meet demand.

Pray_for_Snow

• Bay Watcher
  • MATT DAMON'S TIMECLONE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17592 on: December 08, 2011, 12:52:12 pm »

First second after embark my dwarves find this.

Scratch that, TWO OF THESE PILLARS.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 12:58:10 pm by Pray_for_Snow »
This is an Artefact Thread. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with text and images of various dwarves. It menaces with spikes of data.

My X-COM UFO Defense LP. Finals Week Hiatus.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #17593 on: December 09, 2011, 04:33:10 am »

My bowyer went in a fey mood and created this. *sigh*

« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 07:25:53 am by peskyninja »
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #17594 on: December 09, 2011, 04:48:41 am »

I was trying to build Red Mountain (from TES3 Morrowind) by building my fort on the lip of a volcano and then draining the thing so I could build inside of it. The entrance was right at the top of a mountain (where my wagon stopped apparently) and I started building and got distracted digging out my massive city and forgot to set up farms. When they started to get hungry I built my farms and was down with it. Sadly my devotion to building (namely my bee tower which shall rise above the soon to be Red Mountain-like valley below) I forgot about defense and I was hit but several sieges and ambushes (fortress defense mod).
I am now struggling to survive. This is such a welcome change to my normal games.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.
Pages: 1 ... 1171 1172 [1173] 1174 1175 ... 3842