Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1175 1176 [1177] 1178 1179 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6093581 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #17640 on: December 13, 2011, 02:39:36 pm »

they need to bite and shake :D
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #17641 on: December 13, 2011, 04:33:08 pm »

Drafted 30 of the newest migrants to become wrestlers. I hope they get some skill before first attack. I'm playing without mining any stone for special challenge to make things more interesting.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17642 on: December 13, 2011, 05:24:15 pm »

Started up a new fort in a Serene location... with all other races living nearby.

So far everything's been peaceful, no unwanted visitors. I'm also getting quite a few migrants already, although, oddly enough, no traders yet.

I've also got a lot of minerals, even found a few gems already.

My next order of business is to make a military, I have a few dwarves doing not a lot. Pointy sticks will do until I can find magma... hopefully there will not be a repeat of the crocodile incident from last time... wooden sheilds are better than no sheilds. Might be able to trade some stuff for some proper weapons when a caravan finally comes...

After that, once I get my metal industry sorted, it'll be time to format the upper four floors of my fort... which I intend to be a flooding trap for would-be invaders. I'll need four floodgates, one on the way in to shut the gobbos in, one for the way into my fort's deeper levels, one for the river, and one to drain.

Of course, it's equally likly that I could mess around with this system and end up making FUN things happen like my miner drowning after breaching the river, or flooding my fort.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17643 on: December 13, 2011, 05:43:48 pm »

The Legendary Marksdwarf goes into martial trance. The Legendary Marksdwarf bashes The Giant Capybara with his ☼featherwood crossbow☼, but the attack glances away!

At least he didn't drown. Seeing how my military has been fumbling around in this fort, maybe it's good that the goblins have been fairly quiet so far.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17644 on: December 13, 2011, 06:06:46 pm »

Mine is pretty boring at the moment.

I embarked on a medium size site, and tired of dealing with multiple elevations, disabled invaders and spent 6 years landscaping the site to a nice, flat surface.

It is currently year 30 of this fortress, invaders still off, as I continue construction of the massive castle town fortress, which occupies the western edge of the site, and the mechanically actuated bridge maze of doom that leads to it from the east.  The intent was to create a purely dwarfy security system using a pool of 2/7 water with a handful of 3/7 spaces, that randomly open and close bridges spanning a 3 story chasm with 7/7 magma and no exit at the bottom.

The bridges are sufficiently long that the time taken to cross them will have goblins and other invaders in the middle of the bridge when the swith toggles, dropping them into the cruicble below.  Construction of the chasm has yet to start, as the dwarves keep having issues and foibles over smooshed cats, children falling off walls, and other bolderdash.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17645 on: December 13, 2011, 08:42:24 pm »

This game depressed the hell out of me tonight.

I've heard tell, here and there, of people visiting old forts in adventure mode. I've never been much for adventure mode, but I thought what the heck, it might be fun. So I made a copy of my fort's region folder, loaded it up, abandoned the fortress, then started a new game in adventure mode.

The first thing I learned is that finding your way around the world is hard. I happened on the trick of asking random people about the surroundings, because they'll tell you about random towns and crap which you can then plot on your "sites" map and sort of roughly navigate to. I did this for about two hours before finally getting a human to tell me "Relicstorm is far to the northwest."

And it was, too. Especially the part where I had to cross two mountain ranges to get to it. You can't fast-travel over those; you have to drop out and hold down the arrow key while you read a book or something.

But eventually I made it and … yeah.

First thing I noticed was random junk lying around the bignormous wooded field out front of my fort. Like random logs, and here and there a kobold or goblin corpse. I'm pretty fastidious, so that made things seem really weird. But then I saw my windmills, and my greenhouses, and I got all excited. Just to the southwest … yup! There it is! The bridge leading up to the low hill where my gate was!

I climbed up, and saw the cage where I had all those random animals my fort had collected. The cage was empty.

Right about then, night started to fall or something, because the little visible-circle part began to shrink. So I headed for the fort entrance, and …

Christ.

Cold, dark, silent. Empty. Crap strewn everywhere. A clay boulder sitting in my trade depot. Why? I don't know. Empty bins laying around, empty bags. I went down two floors to the apartments and checked a few out, fumbling around in the dark. All the cabinets were mysteriously gone. The beds were still there, but the cabinets were gone.

It was a hell of a thing. I could almost hear the echoing drip-drip coming up through the darkness and the silence from the cistern under the main fortress square.

It was abandoned. My fort was abandoned. Which shouldn't have surprised me, since, you know, I hit the "abandon the fortress" button myself. But I just didn't think it'd be so … you know. Literal.

I looked around about as much as I felt like, until there was just one set of double doors left. Just east of the main square, north and a bit west of the overseer's office with its big clear-glass window overlooking the well. I walked my adventurer right up to it … but I didn't go through. I decided I was happier not seeing what was on the other side. Cause those are the doors that led to the Hall of Heroes. My burial room, with its staggered rows of shining marble coffins. Still mostly empty, like they'd been when I abandoned the fort? Or had the game filled them up with randomly generated dwarves about which I knew nothing? Or was it like the rest of the fort, just … sacked? And if it were … what of the remains of the fallen?

I decided I didn't want to know.

I quit the game then. Didn't even quit it, actually; killed it outright from the task manager.

I won't be doing that again.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17646 on: December 13, 2011, 08:56:39 pm »

Dwarves from Vathezzan arrived again. We bought some weaponry and booze in exchange for a dog and some mechanisms.

Our twin reservoirs are completely full. There's no chance they will ever run out.

Limulunnos is trundling along nicely. For a change, I haven't actually got any traps- just a grizzly bear bought from the elves tethered to a rope.

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
  • The cheese stands alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17647 on: December 13, 2011, 11:56:13 pm »

This fort is going to be so amazing!!
A SECTION OF THE CAVERN HAS COLLAPSEDx2
Strike T
A SECTION OF THE CAVERN HAS COLLAPSEDx10
he Ea
A SECTION OF THE CAVERN HAS COLLAPSEDx23
rth....
"Really Quit? All active saves will be deleted. This region will be saved for later use."
Economies of scale: Dathominion Co.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17648 on: December 14, 2011, 03:52:51 am »

So excited! tetrahedrite and magnetite. Strangely enough no other ores, but flux! (yes, i used dfhack, reveal, prospect)

turns out the marble is on the bottom of the map, lots of magma and othe no-goodies around. I think i'll stick to iron and copper stuff for now

- our scouts confirmed it, there are no humans anywhere near here, so we need to find some other idiots to dump our crafts and food on
- apearantly the idiots got lost on the way. Their caravan has just arrived
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 10:58:26 am by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #17649 on: December 14, 2011, 08:16:14 am »

I am planning on giving each dwarf (family) their own surface house with their own bed and table and other furniture and private workshops. cellars/lofts filled with food/drink stocks.

But first I have to revive my netbook that died... I suspect it is the CPUfan as it freezes after a few minutes (usually), even in safe mode.

We are digging off the top of a nearby mountain for its sweet, silky limestone and the vertical fortress shaft has struck magnetite, and the forges are working overtime producing steel, our only limiting factor the fuel our lumberjacks can cut from the surrounding forest. The evilness of the chalkmountain does not carry through into our steel, thank the Son of Fire and Moonshine.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #17650 on: December 14, 2011, 10:18:19 am »

i think i'll end up having sylvan elves and nords and orcs wageing war to me...
the reason? AMBUSHES, goblin and illithids.
they made the sylvan merchants escape, and killed the ambassadors...
lucky me i hit the candy.
and i also got an artifact bow!...
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Sidhien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17651 on: December 14, 2011, 10:21:33 am »

An elk somehow got in through the new catacombs and, having already killed my bookkeeper in the freakin' hospital, is now rampaging around the fortress terrifying the hapless peasantry. I guess I could send in the military to curb stomp the thing... but I kinda don't want to.

I don't know what to do about this...

Update: Onulemade, as the dorfs are calling him now, killed a miner and fled into a cage trap. I think I shall construct an arena and feed migrants to him.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 10:39:19 am by Sidhien »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17652 on: December 14, 2011, 10:22:56 am »

Just embarked and found out it's a Roc lair and has a dead dwarf adventurer to boot.

That adventurer's going to get a shrine of his own if my dorfs survive long enough.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17653 on: December 14, 2011, 10:31:37 am »

My legendary stonecrafter, creator of a native gold scepter artifact, is being haunted by his dead wife who had the unfortunate luck of being in my ranger squad, which is notorious for sucking up migrants like a vacuum-powered meat grinder.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #17654 on: December 14, 2011, 10:38:21 am »

My legendary stonecrafter, creator of a native gold scepter artifact, is being haunted by his dead wife who had the unfortunate luck of being in my ranger squad, which is notorious for sucking up migrants like a vacuum-powered meat grinder.
Have him carve a nice stone in her honour, that will ease his grief. :)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link
Pages: 1 ... 1175 1176 [1177] 1178 1179 ... 3842