Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1174 1175 [1176] 1177 1178 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6093750 times)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #17625 on: December 11, 2011, 12:08:22 pm »

Her name translates into "Fikod Flashedtrumpets the Triangular Syrup of Squashing" and she was the most experienced and best fighter.. rest in peace.
The RNG strikes again!

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17626 on: December 11, 2011, 01:12:24 pm »

I've designed a dodgit trap to the entrance of Glowinghoney. The invaders dodge into a pit of spikes, and whoever lives gets captured by the cage traps set on the way up.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17627 on: December 11, 2011, 02:42:25 pm »

Gemcloisters is the first fort in a while that I've actually had invaders turn on. To give my military a break from constant training, I stationed them out side the gate after my guard kitten paused the game like 40 times due to theives/snatchers. Naturally all the thieves/snatchers stop showing up the minute the guards show up.
 Also I've captured several badger-folk I'm thinking of digging a breeding pit for use as a future trap for hte goblins.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17628 on: December 11, 2011, 04:12:55 pm »

I decided to try something clever at Relicstorm.

My habit has always been to have a deep-mine entrance somewhere in or around the main level of my fort, sealed with doors that I could lock when needed, because the deep mines inevitable ended up breaching the caverns sooner or later and I'd get visitors. This was a pain, though, because I always forgot to lock the doors, and with my military training and stationed up top, behind the walls to defend against thieves and snatchers, I'd always have to deal with crundles wandering into my dining hall and crap. Not a bad design, just bad overseership.

But this time I decided to dig the deep mine entrance outside the fort, leading down from an above-ground hut and connecting to my previously dug deep mine entrance (which I planned to wall off).

Well, while it was under construction, during that brief period between when my miners got it dug out and when my masons got the lower wall up, I guess every goblin snatcher and kobold thief on the map decided the under-construction entrance was a yellow-brick-road lined shortcut to my fort's juicy innards. First, one of my masons on his way to put his piece of wall up got interrupted by a kobold thief. Clever little bastard; send in the axe squad for some much-needed live practice. Then another kobold thief, like five steps from the first. Okay, that was funny, come on with the hacking and slashing now. Then a goblin snatcher.

By the time the militia got down there, something like — I didn't count, but this is a good estimate — three kobold thieves and five goblin snatchers had been discovered in that tunnel. Once the militia arrived it was a horror show, body parts flying everywhere, blood drenching the clean, white marble walls.

Nice plus? My frame rate, which had been hovering anomalously around 75 or so, bounced right back up to 95 once the thieves and snatchers were killed. I guess they were eating up cycles with their skulking or something.

However, the ugliness of the whole walled-off-former-mine-entrance thing has disillusioned me, and I've decided to roll Relicstorm back to the spring-101 autosave and start fresh. I like this site, and it makes for a great fort, but I wanna try some different things. So I'm just gonna finish writing this, then fire up the game and strike the earth on Relicstorm 2.0.

Oh, also. I really wish you could designate a barracks off of a statute. I've gotten into the habit of having my soldiers spar outside, to keep them from cave-adapting and also to keep them close to the action at the front gate. Having a weapon rack sitting there out in the middle of the field to anchor my barracks annoys me no end. Even better would be having a barracks be a zone, like a hospital is, but now I'm just writing a Dear Santa letter.

Urukolo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17629 on: December 11, 2011, 05:02:25 pm »

Hi there!

So, I'm relatively new to DF. Fired up the Lazy Newb Pack and found nice little site to start my fortress ... to find this: http://i.imgur.com/6LJy7.jpg

As soon as I unpause the game there is an endless stream of 'cave has collapsed' messages + flowing water (lots of it!) + flowing lava (even more of it!) + a lot of steam. Also, right after unpausing the game, the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
message appeared. On my overclocked i7-2600K (4,6GHz) the game is still unplayable after running it for roughly 20 minutes. What has happened here?

/edit: Ah, this 'thing' in the right hand corner is visible on all levels of the map, as far as I can tell.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 05:08:35 pm by Urukolo »

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #17630 on: December 11, 2011, 05:06:56 pm »

I guess every goblin snatcher and kobold thief on the map decided the under-construction entrance was a yellow-brick-road lined shortcut to my fort's juicy innards.
Every critter on the map has both the best and the worst pathing imaginable. They have clairvoyant knowledge of every object on the map, and will find a way to get there if there is one, except that they don't check whether or not that path is valid for them. Example: Last year, the Dwarven merchants just arrived and started unloading their goods. Detecting the presence of (cave spider silk cloth), three Raccoons on the other side of the map all shouted "LEEEEEERROOYY!!!!" and charged in, heedless of caravan guards. My butchers got some easy meat. This year, I have my wall up, and I now have 2 Raccoons butting their heads against the North gate, unable to comprehend that the door is not pet-passable.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17631 on: December 11, 2011, 06:40:58 pm »

-snip-

Oh dear. :L I have had that once. The game is near unplayable as the magma/water paths everywhere, and clowns ruin your FPS by sheer mass of pathing requests.
I'd abandon and find a different place.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17632 on: December 11, 2011, 09:56:49 pm »

I accidentally deleted most of my worlds when moving my DF folder (protip: Close DF first, kids!), and probably won't restart until I have my new archaeology mod I'm making complete.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17633 on: December 12, 2011, 07:52:03 am »

Overseer's log,

Designating a training barracks around a murky pool is not a good idea. Mandatory swimming lessons for the military, starting immediately.
If these capybaras are anything to go by, I can see why people fretted about the carp back in the days of 40d. This wetland is brutal. Temperate wilderness forests did not prepare me for this.

I need more migrants.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #17634 on: December 12, 2011, 11:28:01 am »

so i open my bridges to welcome the new mass of migrants.
then a balor (genesis mod) decided to randomly arrive right in front of the bridges.
and he gets in.
so i close the bridges.
and send my team of copper clad and basalt clad and copper armed and basalt armed dwarves to fight the thing.
the result is that of the 10 of the first squad, 4 of the second, 6 bowyers/crossbowyers, i went down to 4-2-4.
and the major stockpiles went for the BABUM since it was also booze, flammable stuff.
and also the burrow for half the civilian population.
luckily i have grand master psychiatrist.
don't worry kiddo. you saw your family die and rot, but you are going to be fine!
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17635 on: December 12, 2011, 08:58:55 pm »

A Giant Badger just escaped from TombRabbits's death chamber. Mangled the arms of a Novice Speardwarf and eviscerated my High Master Armorer. Oh well, back to Novice I guess.

Catacomb expansion is chruning along.

And checking in on my trapped master, he seems okay. Nose and spine are broken, both hands gone, but he still managed to hurl an Animal Caretaker into the wall somehow.
Good, nobody likes Animal Caretakers anyway cause they may be bugged.

Hope this picture works:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17636 on: December 13, 2011, 08:11:59 am »

My new world has an undersea volcano. I had to enlarge the embark area slightly in order to cover some land to start on.

As soon as the map opens the ocean collapses into the shaft, but it doesn't look as if it's going to seal over for a while. Pockets of water developed in the shaft in random places, sealed inside obsidian shells.

I decided to abandon the test fort before I spent too long watching it. I'll start a proper fort in the same place from a back up.

Link

The world has a short history of 5 years. I was looking for one with an unmarried dwarven queen. I intend to name a dwarf after myself and try and marry it into royalty. Mineral settings are set to frequent, but I don't think there are any other changes.

The volcano is mid way up the right side of the map.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17637 on: December 13, 2011, 12:35:21 pm »

I have realized there is not a scrap of coal on the map. There is iron and flux, however. I'm going to have to cut down the entire dense forest for fuel, which I will if it means I get my steel gear made. To hell with the elves, their face can consult my steel axe if they want to bitch at me.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17638 on: December 13, 2011, 01:16:19 pm »

I have realized there is not a scrap of coal on the map. There is iron and flux, however. I'm going to have to cut down the entire dense forest for fuel, which I will if it means I get my steel gear made. To hell with the elves, their face can consult my steel axe if they want to bitch at me.

Spoken like a true dwarf!

*passes the wondergin* Praise Armok and/or local deities of mineral wealth!

Bootrazors is chugging along, slow but steady. Whisperbolt... not so much. I started exporting porcelain, then got a harsh reminder from the goblins that I didn't have an army or even equipment for them, and my few cage traps would not protect me forever.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17639 on: December 13, 2011, 01:32:29 pm »

Man, wrestling is hard.

I had 10 soldiers dogpile a berserk Sylvan Elf merchant and it took them about a month to kill her. Constant punches, bites and kicks didn't do much aside from bruising and occasionally breaking.
Pages: 1 ... 1174 1175 [1176] 1177 1178 ... 3842