Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1172 1173 [1174] 1175 1176 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094261 times)

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #17595 on: December 09, 2011, 05:22:41 am »

Stakecrux's only squad was sent out to fight its first ambush. When a few of them got injured, I was worried because I haven't set a hospital up yet, but fortunately they were all then bludgeoned to death. Hooray!

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #17596 on: December 09, 2011, 07:13:09 am »

it seems some illithid have toxins.
no biggy, i have steel dwarves.
it seems some illithid can make thing burn fast.
did i mention i have steel dwarves?
it seems steel dwarves can't keep it up much.

now i have one steel dwarf left. in a hospital bed.
who needs to be put in tracking.
but i lack the traction bench.
building it.
building it needs mechanism.
done that.
wait for it to be put there, check on him...
he just needs traction and then he's off.

he had like things smashed apart, broken stuff, red everywhere, and now he's fine.
and badass with scars too.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #17597 on: December 09, 2011, 07:24:59 am »

Damn this elves, they are mind slaving my animals and forcing them to breed!
(Black bear explosion)
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17598 on: December 09, 2011, 09:38:57 am »

I just uploaded up one of my old forts when I was a noob. Good times.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #17599 on: December 09, 2011, 09:47:21 am »

His beard is to short...

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17600 on: December 09, 2011, 09:55:45 am »

I never thought I'd say this, but … I need more cats.

I decided to be clever and stockpile away some shells just in case of future mood needs. So I sent out a migrant fisherdwarf with fishing enabled, had him bring back some mussels and turtles, processed them, stockpiled them in a closet, forbade them so they wouldn't up and disappear, and forgot about it for a while.

A season or so later I happened to be doing stuff in that closet when I saw two of my shells had disappeared! What the? I forbade them!

Well, I looked it up on the wiki. Turns out shells can be nibbled away to destruction by vermin, particularly rats. I only have the one fortress cat I embark with (a male kitten I nickname "Tiger"), and he's not covering the whole fort. If migrants don't show up with cats or kittens, I'm going to have to do the unthinkable and … gasp … request cats from the liaison next fall.

ZZmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17601 on: December 09, 2011, 02:39:11 pm »

Well time for a new world gen now that i have installed FD-mod ..... year 125 the age of greater badger-men.... this will be fun. my normal squishy dwarves are going to get eaten by badger-men !!FUN!!
DK advisor quote was the message thingy of DF with: "Uric Glodson does a wonderful impression of the baron, he can even do the nose. He has been sentenced to 40 hammerstrikes for his insolence."

MaxZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Doot doodoo de doo
    • View Profile
« Reply #17602 on: December 09, 2011, 04:26:46 pm »

Have an opening to the first cavern while dwarves collect silk, wood and dig a channel for water to a better location for a well. Elk birds keep flying in and cause dwarfs to drop stuff for a bit until there slain. None of these dropped things are being picked up so I'm shouting at idle dwarves to do something about it

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #17603 on: December 09, 2011, 04:32:36 pm »

Elk birds can't fly.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17604 on: December 09, 2011, 06:34:47 pm »

Tradecradled has crumbled.

What we won in life, we lost to in death.

First time I fought FB's. Nine in one battle. The fight itself was quite easy for trained militia with steel. Few seasons later my fortress has pretty much keeled over and died. From 107 to 45 with vast majority of the living lying on hospital floors. Among the dead are my militia and medical staff.

Blood, vomit and extracts litter the halls. Lessons were learned and fun times were had by all. The fort is dead, Long live the fort!

yamgrenade

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels task: Is a Dumba**
    • View Profile
« Reply #17605 on: December 09, 2011, 09:08:57 pm »

My first FB! I feel so proud!

It was an easy one though. Just a 3-eyed lizard with two poisoned stingers on it's tails. I really need a bigger military though. Anything tougher and I might have had some fun.

Zinc23

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity Squared is Fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #17606 on: December 10, 2011, 12:38:29 am »

I've finally managed to figure out that incredibly confusing Military menu!  So now, I have two nice soldiers, training with wooden swords, and clothed in some normal ol' leather armor.  In other news, the smelting furnaces are coming up soon, so I'll need to make a new metalsmithing wing of the Fortress, and get some stockpiles set up.  Unfortunately, I'm stuck with Tetrahedrite until I manage to buy a full steel set for my best warrior.

Edit:  Scratch that... My head warrior just got attached to his wooden training sword.  Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 12:43:56 am by Zinc23 »
The fastest GM in the woooooooorld!

Kepplerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17607 on: December 10, 2011, 01:42:07 am »

Edit:  Scratch that... My head warrior just got attached to his wooden training sword.  Any suggestions?

Don't let your military dwarves use training weapons, it doesn't speed training up or anything.
Having a sudden increase of additional units in the area can take your FPS down like a paraplegic on an ice covered hill.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17608 on: December 10, 2011, 04:36:37 am »

Don't let your military dwarves use training weapons, it doesn't speed training up or anything.

And more importantly, using real weapons while training carries no risk whatsoever. They can 'lightly tap' at each other for a decade with metal axes without an injury. I had a bit of a facepalm moment when I realized that myself. I don't think that getting attached to their weapons will be a problem. Just remember to use 'exact match' setting in the military menu when equipping and they should drop training weapons and take the ones made of the right material.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17609 on: December 10, 2011, 05:03:57 am »

It took me a while to train them with metal weapons too. It was due to reading Headshoots/Syrupleaf, which appeared to have recruits dying of training related injuries. Perhaps that was an old feature.
Pages: 1 ... 1172 1173 [1174] 1175 1176 ... 3842