Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1078 1079 [1080] 1081 1082 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094623 times)

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #16185 on: September 12, 2011, 04:07:38 pm »

Yeah, if there was a way to chose whre evil is, I'd put it in Australia for sure. But look man, the damn south pole is a desert.
Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16186 on: September 12, 2011, 04:08:19 pm »

Yeah, if there was a way to chose whre evil is, I'd put it in Australia for sure. But look man, the damn south pole is a desert.

Antarctica is a desert.   Not all deserts are hot.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16187 on: September 12, 2011, 07:50:42 pm »

Antarctica is a desert.   Not all deserts are hot.

Since in DF, either the top or bottom of the map is very hot, and the other end is very cold, you are better off generating parts of the world that lie between the equator and one of the poles. If you used Europe, then the dwarven civs would be found in Norway or in France/Italy (the alps!).

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16188 on: September 13, 2011, 07:55:55 am »

Well I've seen a world where both poles were frezzing.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Boost One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16189 on: September 13, 2011, 08:09:16 am »

I'll only be impressed if Australia is populated exclusively with badgers, horses, capybaras, and other killing machines. Oh, and it should really be an evil island, too.  ;D

Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:BEAR_DROP]
[DESCRIPTION:Like a bigger mean version of koala bears. They drop from the tree and then go for your head.]
[NAME:drop bear:drop bears:drop bear]
[CURIOUSBEAST_GUZZLER]
[BIOME:ANY_TEMPERATE_FOREST]
[CARNIVOROUS]
[CAN_SPEAK]
[AMBUSHPREDATOR]

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16190 on: September 13, 2011, 02:29:03 pm »

May want to finish that creature definition or else suffer the dreaded crash-because-lacks-body-information-but-still-tries-to-spawn bug. :P

I'm expecting I'm about to lose a hunter who was shoved off a cliff by a yak bull he was hunting. He broke both his hand and leg in the relatively short fall, and both are now infected. I was in the process of setting up the hospital at the time, and now it's top priority to get the guy re-injured so there's still a chance the docs can treat the infections with the brand new soap and well. Situation is bleak though. The last treatment was two months ago.

I was waiting for a while for the bridge to be prepped for dropping him, but then he decided now's a grand time to go drink, eat, and sleep, in that order. The hospital food/water must suck. The beds are the best we have: encrusted with lapis lazuli, blue garnet, and tourmalines.

So I did it, and he's decided to sit on the ground where he fell, not resting until he starves/dehydrates but clearly far, far too injured to do anything without medical attention. now THAT bug is something to fear.

He got up and returned to his post at the top of the bridge. Died on impact this time. Only a 2-story fall... Other dwarves tried to stand there with him for whatever reason both times, and got injured themselves. The doctors need practice anyway.

Well, We're gonna lose 3 more to infection so far as I can tell. Time to dig out a dedicated cemetery.

After the death of one of the infected, I've suddenly been attacked by trogs, a GCS, and a giant bat. The GCS managed to bring down one dwarf in a cavern-vent stairwell (designed to release cavern creatures to the surface like they always want to without them going through my fort). She was rescued by one brave-ass doctor, even though her throat was already torn out and her head was gushing some unimaginable quantity of blood all over. He carried her, chased by the GCS, all the way down the stairwell, where the militia (a bunch of no-skill quacks in random imported junk) engaged the beast. Just as the GCS died, so did Sigun bleed out in the doctor's arms. The GCS gained a name post-mortem, while the wrestler that got the kill for it still registers the kill as just a GCS, unnamed. I don't actually know what these dwarves were doing in that shaft anyway...
The Giant Bat was being hunted by one of the rangers (they're set to hunt during their off-time as training), and turned on him. The ranger was pushed into a cavern lake and promptly fell unconscious in pain, and was torn apart by the bat. I sent the militia down after the GCS was taken care of to kill the bat as well, but one of them ended up dead.
The trogs haven't managed to injure or kill any dwarves, but they often go after my livestock. Lost 4 sheep, a cavy, and a yak so far.
I also accidentally dropped a miner down 2-3 stories with a channeling designation. They're in the hospital at the moment but you must always expect the worst from the hospital staff...
I'm setting up a shower system over the entrance to the caverns to wash off any FB extract my dwarves may drag home.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 08:19:01 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16191 on: September 13, 2011, 10:05:36 pm »

BEHOLD MY FINEST CREATION, USING PERFECT WORLD, BEHOLD ROMUDON!
Give me that save, dammit!!!!! (and please)

On topic:
I found a site that contained a Minotaur's Labyrinth who's occupant I have slain. I took what I could of the Labyrinth and am digging a 3 tile long hall into the mazy corridors. I'm currently dealing with a main entrance, and am going to seal off the stairway.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16192 on: September 14, 2011, 09:43:55 am »

I currently have a very rotund pregnant cat on my keyboard. this makes it very difficult to either type or play df. shes so big and round that she can hardly wash her own backside without rolling around like a small bowling ball.

at least the fort is in good shape. No recent deaths, and one of the dorfs with an infection has survived the ordeal and is now healthy according to his medical screen.

The cat just jumped down and attacked the dominant female, who ignored her and came over to steal my oatmeal. Classy.

Nevermind about the "no deaths;" a band of troglodytes just slaughtered a ram and are marching towards my fortress, attacking my new high master blacksmith! I'm calling down the militia.

One of them got away, and his mate decided to go after another ram. What was her issue with the rams... She can't tell us now because she's dead.

The cat is back. Put her on the bed to entertain the other two kitties.

And a metalsmith has landed in prison for the next 101 days, for violating a production order on untreated mithril items, which we neither have nor ever will. At least I had a prison prepared for the poor bastard...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 09:53:04 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

peri609667

• Bay Watcher
  • I am shocked and appalled.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16193 on: September 14, 2011, 10:13:37 am »

I currently have a very rotund pregnant cat on my keyboard. this makes it very difficult to either type or play df. shes so big and round that she can hardly wash her own backside without rolling around like a small bowling ball.

at least the fort is in good shape. No recent deaths, and one of the dorfs with an infection has survived the ordeal and is now healthy according to his medical screen.

The cat just jumped down and attacked the dominant female, who ignored her and came over to steal my oatmeal. Classy.

Nevermind about the "no deaths;" a band of troglodytes just slaughtered a ram and are marching towards my fortress, attacking my new high master blacksmith! I'm calling down the militia.

One of them got away, and his mate decided to go after another ram. What was her issue with the rams... She can't tell us now because she's dead.

The cat is back. Put her on the bed to entertain the other two kitties.

And a metalsmith has landed in prison for the next 101 days, for violating a production order on untreated mithril items, which we neither have nor ever will. At least I had a prison prepared for the poor bastard...
This, sir, just made my day. +1 internets to you.
I love this. In three pages we've gone from being willing to eat intelligent beings, to trying to make them *more* intelligent, so it will be more fun to eat them.

igmas

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16194 on: September 14, 2011, 10:48:39 am »

One dwarf assign as heavy liftin got possessed and made me this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16195 on: September 14, 2011, 11:10:41 am »

I love that Artifact.
Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16196 on: September 14, 2011, 01:05:55 pm »

computer is happy again, which means I can spend unusually large amounts of time on Dwarf Fortress.

My new fort's theme is blue-cloaked dwarves with swords. Not unusual? well they also have no armor besides their clothes, and they're not using danger rooms. They're monks called "the purple walls". I have 3 currently (in a populatino of 30), and I plan to increase the number as supporting groups increase in skill.

Unfortunately making my medic area (ok, hospital, but my doctor isn't exactly skilled), resulted in flooding of my 3rd floor. Yeah, making a 2-story well cut into a room... oops. On day I'll pump it out to the outside, but at 30 dwarves there isn't really any need.

Elves are particularly useless to me... except for importing wood. Sure, I can't trade them wood, or bins, or a sword with a wooden handle... but they can supply me all the wood I need in order to keep my furnace alive. There is something fun about taking wood from the "ethical" ones, and doing nothing but burning it. hehe. Oh, and  I trade them cloth, since I have so much of due to supplying my troops.

Btw, is there any benefit to adding extra layers of clothes? I mean, is having lots of robes any better than having one? I'd rather not be someone with 5 robes and 15 cloaks, but I could definitely add layers of other clothes to compensate.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Gruntathon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16197 on: September 14, 2011, 09:16:09 pm »

The fortress SanctumInk and it's gold and glass skyscraper megaproject were going great. Unfortunately, a gold mining accident allowed this polite fellow with an epic name from an otherwise unused cave into a heavily populated area.

It deadly dusted a third of the dwarves. Blisters, then rotting. They all got hit by the same cloud, rotted for a month, then they all proceeded to died within seconds of each other.

I was unable to avert the tantrum spiral.

Eventually I abandoned, then decided to reclaim (I really like this skyscraper).

The first thing that I find upon exploring my old fort is an amphibious cave ambush.

Remarkably, they somehow spawned into some of the forgotten beast extract. The poor frogs(?) are already completely covered in deadly dust, blisters, pus and vomit, and I am barely a minute into the reclaim.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16198 on: September 14, 2011, 10:23:10 pm »

We drew straws to see who would do it, and I got the short one. It really was beautiful, this armor; each piece fit perfectly as I put it on, and I felt none the heavier for wearing it, even though it was perfect, pure steel. The final touch was an artifact created by our armorsmith, a shield with a circle of deep blue gems on it and dangling iron rings. It was the most beautiful set of armor I had laid eyes on.
I walked up the ramp to the chamber, shining windows made from the purest of gems lighting up the room before me. Statues of Doren Mountainmine, our god, looked down on a single coffin, laying open. Behind me, a wall of rock slammed shut with finality. I took deep breath and laid down in the coffin, shield on my chest and hands folded over it. I began an ancient chant, one that we had always sung when digging that would bring the blessings of Doren down on us. And Doren was a good god; the god of metals and thought, he had led us true our entire existence.
There was but one thing that he demanded from us, besides our praise and prayer. Once a century, a room would be built of the finest materials, and a dwarf wearing the finest things we had wrought from Doren's gifts would enter it. Wearing the finest armor that had ever existed, or necklaces that captured the beauty of the sun, or bearing weapons that had slain giants... once a century, dwarves proved their loyalty to Doren by returning that which Doren had given to us.
The setting sun began to glint in the windows and the room grew hot, but I did not stir. For years, this had been planned; for years, each detail of the armor I wore now was gone over in meticulous detail. Were it ever to be used, the dwarf inside would be nigh invulnerable to any foe. But Doren was more important than any dwarf, any war; that's why I had walked in here. My sacrifice would show Doren that we still cared, still worked wonders with his gifts and sang his praises every day, that we were willing to give anything to him. I did not regret my life; I had a wife, a prestigious mason that created beautiful works, and three children I had fought tooth and nail to defend every day. This final act would ensure that, while not remembered in legend, I would not be forgotten.
The sun hung just above the horizon; the room was now baking, and me, inside my armor, with it. My chant didn't stop or falter as the sun slowly sunk further.

Just as the sun set, there was a flare. Any dwarf watching the tomb of Bambul Ducimugosh would have seen the room fill with fire suddenly before dying out to cinders. Doren was pleased.

Years passed. Dwarves died and were born, fought and killed. As is the nature of all living things, though, the fortress of Isakbomrek died, a glorious death with a hundred dwarves charging into the waiting arms of three nations allied against them. The fortress was sacked and forgotten, collecting dust and whispers over the ages.

A dwarf walked out of the human inn, a sword and shield strapped to her back. She looked out at the beginning dawn, ready to embark on her travels again. However, something inside her suddenly wanted to go west instead of north. After a brief internal conflict, the dwarf turned and followed her new path.

Little one... seek the spattered whip...
The dwarf jumped at the sound, drawing her shield and sword in one fluid motion and crouching, scanning her surroundings.
The spattered whip... holds your legacy...
The voice spoke no more, and after a few tense minutes the dwarf relaxed. She resolved to ask about a spattered whip at the next town. As a dwarf, an instinctive creature at heart, she felt that the voice was something to listen to. She turned west again, setting out on a long day of travel.
Somewhere ahead, over the horizon, a perfect suit of armor and the skeleton of a long-forgotten dwarf awaited her.

Spoiler: Comments (click to show/hide)

ZZmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16199 on: September 15, 2011, 06:29:07 am »

Using a modded exe that embarks anywhere, 16 starting dwarfs and if i so choose 1x1 embarks i embarked on a mountain fortress, tons and tons of flux and magnatite as far as the eye can see. once i got a shaft down to the magma to make use of my bounty of iron i set about crafting my defenses using the tried and true method of 8 smelters remelting anything below masterwork armor weapons and serrated discs i had 150 weapon traps set up as defenses 3 goblin raids tried to walk threw them and wound up feeding my barons sterling silver  room. the funniest thing i had happen was the dragon walked up to the trap and bam dead. it was so funny. I'm thinking of trying this approach to storming hell next should be real FUN, and not this fake let down fun I've experienced with the surface world so far.
DK advisor quote was the message thingy of DF with: "Uric Glodson does a wonderful impression of the baron, he can even do the nose. He has been sentenced to 40 hammerstrikes for his insolence."
Pages: 1 ... 1078 1079 [1080] 1081 1082 ... 3842