Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1076 1077 [1078] 1079 1080 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094357 times)

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #16155 on: September 10, 2011, 09:05:23 pm »

I put five waterfalls in my dining room, and turned them on.

No I'm not worried about drowning or FPS death. The "waterfalls" are powered by bucket brigade.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16156 on: September 10, 2011, 09:30:51 pm »

An ambush ambushed the elves, and discovered another ambush.

They then ran off after killing them, though my three-man professional army killed a fair few. My newly minted Hammer Army got hammered.

The Civilian Sword 'n' Board Squads (every dorf but the expedition leader, miner, a legendary mason, and metalcraters) didn't get called out, but soon they will be.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16157 on: September 10, 2011, 10:35:41 pm »

Eyeball is almost a minimal fortress. I have a magma smelter up, a hallway with 6 workshop rooms on either side, a 3x3 stairwell at the end, and a secret (?) lever room in one shop room with a gabbro door and hatch cover (passages forbidden until I need them), and I will soon get a row of levers connected to several other various things such as drawbridges, flood-gates, the entry hall filled with spike traps, drawbridge disposal rooms and drowning execution chambers.

The depot will eventually be built, the garnierite will be made into zinc bars and therefore crafts to sell, the wood gathered will be made into beds, the extra stone will be made into pots and other furniture, some exploratory mining will be done on the lower levels, and the bedrooms will be dug out in the levels of basalt below.

The entry hall turns one corner and will be filled with upright spike traps with ten per trap. All connected to one lever in the secret room. From what I've heard, upright spike traps never jam and drop the corpse and its death-drop on the floor when they retract, and stone fall (read:fail) traps deal next to no damage against any enemies.

Our main food supply will come from Plump Helmets which are never cooked, Quarry Bushes which have to be processed and cooked, the eggs and meat from our turkeys, and whatever meat or plants the caravans bring us. Drinks come from our own farms, imported from caravans, or brewed from above-ground surface plants that we have gathered (or stolen).

When it comes to trade, I differ from my traditional rules.
Trading away:
I will give any valuable or high-quality crafts, some bone crafts or totems and some raw materials to every dwarf caravan.
I will give some high-quality or valuable crafts, some bone crafts or totems, weapons, and furniture to every human caravan.
I will give some picks and some metal or stone crafts to the first three elven caravans.

Importing:
I will take some flour, plants, fish, leather, and some metal (ores) from the dwarven caravans and ask for more from the dwarven liason.
I will take some above-ground seeds and plants, fish, meat and a lot of bronze items and bars from the human caravans, and request more from the human liason.
I will take some wooden logs, some furniture, some weapons, and a lot of cloth from the elven caravans and request more from the elven liason.
After the first three elven civilization meetings, I will kill all of the elven traders, their animals, and take all that they carried into my fortress.
I will melt or use any and/or all pieces of weapons and armor from goblin invaders.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16158 on: September 11, 2011, 12:17:37 am »

Best.

Artifact.

Ever.

Code: [Select]
-<<iron helm>>-

This is a iron helm. This object is adorned with hanging rings of black pyrope. On the iron is a well-desgined image of a cheese in zinc.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16159 on: September 11, 2011, 12:35:59 am »

In the process of filling my well, I noticed my floodgates had been open for an unusually long time, and noticed my dining room flooding.

I decided this was a feature instead of a bug, and am routing to drain it into the aquifer so I can have an internal swimming pool.

igmas

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16160 on: September 11, 2011, 03:18:36 am »

First siege in the first year of the fortress Mountaindabblers and its Centuars with bows, luckly I got my trap system up! 

Sadly they haven't wanted to come and say hello yet although I have my gates wide open, because they have been hunting a bull which doesn't want to come in ...   :'(
Everytime it runs by the gate it just stops for a second and then keeps on running past it. They have been at it for a month now running around the mountains Benny Hill style.  :)
Must be somekind of Ninja bull because it keeps evading the arrows...

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #16161 on: September 11, 2011, 03:19:02 am »

Lanceddelights got off to a poor start when a cave-in on embark dragged three dwarves to their doom (along with the anvil and all of the seeds), killed another, and severely injured two others. This left a miner to dig out a hole, move everything inside, then try to administer medical aid. Needless to say both injured dwarves died from infection.

The first two migrant waves have swelled the population up to seven (wow!) and we've bought an anvil and spawn from the caravan, so it's not over yet.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16162 on: September 11, 2011, 06:43:41 am »

Nothing's going on. Zalisiden's just been trundling along. The first dwarf crippled by that darn goblin snatcher has died of infection, so the second one shouldn't be far behind. Had a failed mood and the clothier threw himself into some unicorns and promptly got impaled.
Everything else is just going swimmingly, very nearly had my bone carver die because he got to Dehydrated making bone bolts on repeat... but aside from that it's all good.

In other news, I'm listed as an enemy of the local goblin civ, but in the Civ list everyone is at peace with everyone. It's not the 'first few months' temporary siege immunity i've heard about, we're about a year and a bit in. We're on 119 dwarves, and FPS is doing well enough. Enough to feel fast (Usually about 60-100 calculations, and 49 graphics)

The Balls of Steel

• Escaped Lunatic
  • That's Gneiss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16163 on: September 11, 2011, 08:14:47 am »

I'm mining out the entire Z-level my fort is on. Once that's done, I'll try to get some stronger defences up.

Other that that, the game is practically playing itself at the moment.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16164 on: September 11, 2011, 09:25:53 am »

Usually my fortresses are pretty lax. A nice main entrance hallway thats the main vein of my fort, everything branches from that. Caravans come in with goodies and leave with different goodies. If a siege comes, a combination of traps and highly-trained dorfs chase it off. This Fortress, though.. anyone who doesn't have a military (or food production) relevant skill is drafted into the army. I'm walling up a bit of a gorge, it looks similar to Helms Deep, and I intend on building a fortress and keep similar to it. Epic will be my watchword. Terror theirs. (by theirs I mean, elf, goblin, hoooman) I just need to figure out how I'm going to pump magma through the walls..

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16165 on: September 11, 2011, 10:07:02 am »

My militia commander is dying of thirst even though I have eighteen idlers, an open brook, and two wells (one of which has a full bucket.)

Yes! He's been saved. Now he's just hungry.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 10:10:47 am by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16166 on: September 11, 2011, 10:07:59 am »

Eyeball's lava is now down to 6/7!!! What the HELL is going on here?!?!?

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16167 on: September 11, 2011, 11:53:48 am »

Oh my goodness, I love the Civvie Sword 'n' Board Squads.

"SNATCHER! Protect the children!"

"FEAR THE POKER OF FACES!"

*activates all the dorfs, watches the master thief run around for a few seconds before being dismembered, shield-bashed, and poked in the face with obsidian swords*

"An ambush! Curse them!"

"...not on my watch. THE POKING OF FACES WITH OBSIDIAN SWORDS SHALL COMMENCE NOW."

*thirty-plus dorf charge outside, station the military inside*

The UristPet has collided with an obstacle! Its nose takes the full impact, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain! The UristPet has been struck down!

Urist McArmorisoptional is tantruming! Urist McArmorisoptional bites the Goblin Lasher in the head! Urist McArmorisoptional shakes the Goblin Lasher by the head, sending the severed part flying off in an arc! The Goblin Pikeman stabs Urist McArmorisoptional in the chest, tearing the heart! The silver pike lodges firmly in the wound! Urist McArmorisoptional has died of blood loss! Ursita McArmorswife is tantruming! The dorf stabs the Goblin Pikeman in the skull with her *obsidian short sword*, jamming the skull through the brain, tearing the brain! The Goblin Pikeman has died! Urista McArmorswife is no longer tantruming!

"Curse them! An ambush!"

*both ambushes retreat off the map a lot faster than when they came in*

"Urista McArmorswife is ecstatic. She lost a loved one to tragedy recently. She has complained about the draft recently. She took pleasure in slaughter recently. She has eaten in a Legendary dining room recently."
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 11:56:25 am by Ross Vernal »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16168 on: September 12, 2011, 05:23:36 am »

My poorly-modded human fort, Kneadwildness, is somehow still surviving, despite having no leaders or nobles to speak of (thanks to me trying to mod humans after worldgen), corpses scattered everywhere and no anvils.
There are SO MANY dead. Forty-eight folks have died since coming to this dreadful place, fourteen of whom are ghosts.
Several of my people have lost limbs to the berserking ghosts, and most bleed out after a while. Surprisingly, most of them are escatic anyway, thanks to their truly opulent surroundings. :P
The whole plan of this fort was to create a retirement home for my badass adventurer, and create tonnes of weapons, but thanks to my terrible modding skills I have no access to anvils, and thus, surprise, no metalsmithing. ::) So I've been waiting for these poor, hard-done-by settlers to finish dying so I can reclaim with dwarves.
But, somehow, they live on.

Although, the first real contact with goblins is sure to wipe the place out... Only had a few half-hearted thieving attempts, so far.
No leaders means no military! D:
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sanguine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16169 on: September 12, 2011, 05:46:56 am »

Well... I'm down to three dwarves who are all somewhat pissed off and living in a tiny corridor... I started my first terrifying embark and forgot to prepare for it... There's a few pissed off elephants here... :S
Once liquids are implemented properly, you could set up a mandatory test involving potential military dwarves swim through a sea of blood on their way through the testing.
Pages: 1 ... 1076 1077 [1078] 1079 1080 ... 3842