Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 953 954 [955] 956 957 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124349 times)

Ragingpantsless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #14310 on: July 03, 2011, 07:24:40 pm »

Everything was going smoothly, until a colony of badgers showed up just as every spare dwarf was working on putting up a wall outside. Things went into a beautiful spiral, culminating in flooding the dining hall. That worked just as planned, but not when planned. Onto a better place for another fortress. Fortress 27, I'm on my way!
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14311 on: July 03, 2011, 09:01:50 pm »

Y'know what I said about Failurecosmos dying an FPS death a couple pages back?

I liiieeed. Currently in mid-summer of 254. Failurecosmos is 97 dorfs strong, with 7 artifacts. Channels for the magma workshops are almost done, though I realized I could have put them under the second cavern instead of the third. Ooh, and I'm a barony now. Giant Capybaras are aggravating my woodcutters, though my hunters seem to be doing well in the 'kill them' department so they're really just a source of amusement, bones, and food.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14312 on: July 04, 2011, 12:19:35 am »

For some reason I've failed to find ANY metal on my current embark despite the map saying there was plenty.
Just created an archer squad, which the game named "The Earthen Dearth". I was amused.

Khris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14313 on: July 04, 2011, 01:33:48 am »

I think you need a better quality mechanism, that should've butchered a buzzard.

thx for the tip, yes, that trap was older and back then I didn't have a legendary mechanic...but now I do have one, time to rebuild the traps :D

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14314 on: July 04, 2011, 01:44:46 am »

Failurecosmos is a county! Whoo-hoo! Kind of wishing I hadn't selected one of my best miners for baroness, though, because apparently counts are bloody useless even if barons aren't. Eh, she has sensible tastes, and any lapis lazulis she wants I can snag off the caravans.

Hit magma a while back, been shuttling all the ores down to my smelters to make them into bars eventually. Probably also going to shuttle non-useful metal items down there too for melting down, I've got a few mountains' worth off the caravans already. Might eventually shuttle the whole fortress down near the second and third caverns, because who needs sunlight when you're dwarves?

Edit: Wait, nope, my countess isn't useless. She's digging! Whoo!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 01:49:07 am by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14315 on: July 04, 2011, 05:46:11 am »

Taking .25 Wizard Tower for a spin.  Currently embarked on a volcano.

I made a smart smart decision when picking my starting seven, because I decided to lump all my noble duties on the wizard that likes brass.  Guess what, my map only has buttloads of tetrahedrite and sphalerite (with the occasional native copper vein).  I can't make much of anything BUT brass at the moment.  He'll be a happy wizard.

Said wizard was also the one to take my hospital for a spin, getting his upper left arm smashed taking on a goblin thief.  (I should make a military, but I can't spare any right now).  Progress was slow, but he got his arm diagnosed, cleaned, stitched, and bandaged...and then decided that he was fine and got out of bed, ignoring the diagnosis that says he needs traction and the fact that his arm is still red.  He's working fine, so uh, if he wants a crooked arm, I'm not gonna stop him.

Progress on Orthanc the obsidian observatory is progressing nicely...if only the herd of wild capybaras would move, since a stone needed for construction was dropped near them and now no wizard will go close enough to pick it up.  Sigh.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #14316 on: July 04, 2011, 06:44:22 am »

so, after going through all the caves and the likes in Gripwhips, i decide to keep one cave open and surrounded by ballistas.
With the "ready to fire order" and station one squad+their barracks nearby.
What i didn't take into account? the 4 forgotten beasts which i had "forgotten" down there.
It was funny. Flying of siege arrows, fightings, i closed off the two luckily prepared hatches which lead up. the deadly syndrome blood and poison killed everything down there...and also the forgotten beasts.
I'm NOT opening those hatches until i get a pond ready On the floor above, and start dumping water in it.
Maybe the forgotten beasts will rot...miasma or the like but hell...remember for the future: DO NOT LEAVE FORGOTTEN BEASTS FORGOTTEN!!!
*mass channeling begins now.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14317 on: July 04, 2011, 08:19:17 am »

So Danger Rooms, when designated as Pastures, are incredibly effective cat disposal devices.

Also, whilst melting down yet another steel anvil from the Mountainhome due to having no flux in Frenzychanneled, I found myself pondering what must be a core question in Dwarven Philosophy 101:
Which came first, the anvil or the forge?

I'm now building an outrageously opulent set of quarters in anticipation of the arrival of the Queen. Thankfully, due to the presence of a volcano and ready availability of sand, I have a legion of highly skilled glassmakers churning out furniture at a ridiculous rate. I'm only accepting finished items of Masterwork quality. I like to think that a little pleasure explosion goes off in dwarf heads when they behold the grandeur of my dining room. It seems to wipe out all worries. Dwarves who have previously been miserable all of a sudden skyrocket to Ecstatic on witnessing it.

I know this because of my Baroness.

I recently elected her, seemingly at random. It's my tradition to always elevate someone from the peasantry to the nobility. After all, they were useless before, so they're used to it.
As it turns out, my elected dwarf could not have been a cooler choice.
It turns out she has only just reached adulthood, and is the only daughter of the first soldier to fall in defense of the fortress. Granted, she likes Pig Iron, which is a bit of a nightmare on a map with no flux, but damn, the girl done good. Her father would be proud.

Oh yeah, and one of the gods of my civilisation is Ishen Loversuitors the Carnality of Loving, the Deity of Pregnancy. He's got a statue on a pedestal out front of the fortress, where he's laughing. Randy bugger.

I've also noticed an oddity in regards the human and goblin civilisations. The gobbos are ruled by a Skink Demon Administrator, while the humans are ruled by a Skink Monster Administrator. Something fishy going on there methinks. May have to take a look in Legends.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14318 on: July 04, 2011, 09:14:14 am »

Failed a mood - Fish dissector who had no friends went stark raving mad.

One of our militia commanders was grievously wounded by a giant rat - he's still in hospital with most parts of his body TORN and he's PALE. A miller was killed by the same rat, who got a title seconds before Iteb took it down. Hopefully Sparkzlite (another dorfed friend- Sparkz for short) will pull through. he's only now thirsty and it's just gone spring.

Another forgotten beast, a quadriped made of ice that shoots webs but doesn't really. Went down in a second or two as Iteb two shot it.

I have three titled dwarves now:
Iteb Taperedpaged the Soaked Bowl of Paint: he's our militia commander and legendary axedwarf. he's by far the most powerful dwarf.

"Revax" Rumourtheatre the Copper Pinnacle of Summits: a legendary speardwarf who slew Gulgun Hogknot the forgotten beast alone, sustaining only minor injuries.

and Zefon Anvilwind the Silvery Dale: a hammer lord who uses a bronze war hammer and nearly singlehandedly broke the last goblin siege.

Speaking of goblin sieges, just after the Ice FB, i got flanked by goblins. One squad led by an elite macegoblin, another two squads of pikegoblins with elite pikegoblin leaders - and the rest was roughly 8 trolls. I lost one more original seven - I drafted the herbalist to bring him inside before bad could happen, but he saw his wolf killed and went into a martial trance, then died himself. A farmer also died, but there's plenty of them to go around.

I ordered all civilians into a burrow- then stationed Iteb's squad "The Diamond Gods", Sparkzlite's squad "The Crystalline Entries" (minus Sparkz, who was in hospital still) a marksdwarf squad of three led by Kulet Adiltishis just inside the fortress gate. Two goblins were captured before the fight began in earnest- and three trolls dodged into a cage trap as well. Zefon led the charge, followed by Iteb and a new recruit (another dorf'd friend, "Kurok'Taa") who broke the siege alone. Kurok martial trance'd and then overexerted, falling unconscious just as the last goblin began to flee. So that was a grand total of TWO civilian casualties, a war troglodyte, a war wolf and a troglodyte baby killed during this big siege. It was the most fun I had in a long time.
Oh, and i got another mood- a legendary carpenter made an ashen lion statue WORTH ONLY 4800 DORFBUX.  :-\

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #14319 on: July 04, 2011, 10:13:09 am »

After years of hard work by 4 butchers, I've managed to exterminate my dog infestation.

This year's fashion is dog leather !  8)
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14320 on: July 04, 2011, 10:18:32 am »

New fortress, new embark.   Found a place with a valley on 2 sides between two mountains that go 48 z levels up.  As a bonus theres a natural lake on the northeast side of the map making a sheer cliff face that extends most of the way straight up.  There is clay and sand, it is my dream embark.

Except for one little detail.... no metal.  The site said there was deep metals but there's only cobaltite...  Not even copper.  I prefer using military over traps, but how will I arm my military well enough to harvest goblinite?  I could use the bluemetal, but I usually prefer not to.  Hmm, quite a dilemma.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14321 on: July 04, 2011, 10:30:33 am »

Have a neat fortress divided by a river and protected by mountains. And I just killed my first BC.....without any deaths!! It might have helped with my war eagles distracting it.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14322 on: July 04, 2011, 10:32:53 am »

After the let-down of the last goblin un-siege things got busier.  An elf caravan turned up - and they brought more large cats, and also a giant desert scorpion!  Have to figure out a good use for that. 

And before the elves even unloaded their goods another goblin siege turned up.  Four squads of infantry, squad of archers, and a dozen trolls.  (I haven't seen goblin cavalry since their general turned up and died a while back.)  The trolls are merrily destroying hatches and doors in the outworks while the goblins enter the more dangerous (to them) tunnels.

And at the same time some miners working on a magma pump shaft broke into a previously undiscovered section of the caverns that are known to be hosting multiple FBs.  A pretty scramble going on to get some walls up before a large visitor comes ravening in.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14323 on: July 04, 2011, 11:03:43 am »

My poor Metalsmith has been locked up 3 times for failing to produce Platinum items at the behest of the mayor. So far, I've not found platinum anywhere on this site. Prospector says there is some somewhere, but meanwhile he'll just have to keep bouncing that ball against that wall.
The last two occasions he's done time, he's been locked up alongside a babbling idiot mason who won't shut up about his goddamned cat that got impaled. Funny that.

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14324 on: July 04, 2011, 11:46:21 am »

We broke the siege at the cost of 6 dwarfs, 1 child, 2 dogs and a cat. One of the dwarfs was a Marksdwarf that went berserk when their lover was cut down outside. The Captain of the Guard was nearby though. Steel spear. Yeah. Anyway, I'm now trying to head off the tantrum spiral with close to 25% of the fort miserable and much needed defenses improvements still to be made. I also just realised that though I finally got that well built I never designated it as a water source. Realised it when those two wounded dwarfs died from thirst that is...
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.
Pages: 1 ... 953 954 [955] 956 957 ... 3842