Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 955 956 [957] 958 959 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124505 times)

AngryDorf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #14340 on: July 06, 2011, 02:00:01 am »

My fortress has, as it's centerpiece, a large rectangular area recessed into the ground but still with a clay ground layer.  I've allowed trees to grow there and I am covering the roof with clear glass, sealing the entire fortress off from the world above.

All was going well until one day...

One of my faithful off duty Axemen, labouring as a miner, decided to go beszerk!  This was admidst a siege held off by forbidden doors, a winter freeze on all water forcing an unexpected reliance on alcohol, miasma, other guys going Beszerk....it got crazy down there.  Anyway, the Miner, began taking to my citzens using a steel pickaxe.  He killed his entire squad that were called on duty to deal with him, then the next ten, the ten after that, and after that...

I'd build the fortress with craved stairways so it was much harder to lock him down to any one area, and he proceeded to slaughter many many dwarves.  Not sure how many, exactly, but by the time he died he had reduced a population of over one hundred, to twenty seven, after everything settled down and moods stabilised.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 02:05:43 am by AngryDorf »

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14341 on: July 06, 2011, 02:11:51 am »

This game is my first proper fortress (one that I haven't abandoned in a fit of rage).

My fortress is currently undergoing rapid expansion and is overgrowing its limitations. Wealthy as heck, yeah, because of my legendary crafters, but I haven't expanded in space rapidly enough. It's growing beyond my managerial ability, and heck, I should keep on expanding because I need magma and more bedrooms!

I should get Dwarf Therapist asap.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

noah22223

• Bay Watcher
  • No. you fucking lose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14342 on: July 06, 2011, 02:24:40 am »

All but two dwarfs died- A legendary axedorf, and the chief medical dorf. As it turns out, they were married. and the chief medical seems to love having twins.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8
So I'm a Depressing Jesus Wizard being stalked by Satan Lights, and my home's wiring is going bad?
Goddammit.

BrilliantGnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14343 on: July 06, 2011, 02:30:08 am »

A mere wolf titan with three eyes and large mandibles that shoots webs just killed half my fortress in a mere week!
The rest of my fortress tantrumed or died of thirst...adventure mode time! I had 3 artifacts, one of them was made of adamantine and worth over 4,000,000 dorfbucks!!!
I would post a pic of the artifacts and the destruction of the battle, but i don't know how  :'(
It's only a wolf...that happens to look like a giant cave spider...OH MY GOD WHY CAN'T I MOVE!!!

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14344 on: July 06, 2011, 02:30:59 am »

Ran off another goblin ambush during trade with the elves of Tise Vafice. No injuries were had in all squads.
Traded a bunch of gems in return for three black bears, two grizzlies, a fox, three horses and a donkey. Awww yeah.

Captured four snatchers, who are sentenced to death by DAS.

A new addition to the fortress: JellyCupcakes the Butcher/doctor went to dress a captain's wounds just after traipsing around through blood of various cavern animals, and managed to infect him. This captain fought off a giant rat, sustaining a 'torn open' upper body, and both legs torn open. He's currently surviving, demoted from the military and put on light duties as a mechanic. JellyCupcakes was punished by being sent to the deepest depths of the cavern with an iron axe as her defense- if she survived then that's good. She did survive, not before losing a hand to a giant olm.

Sparkzlite the aforementioned captain is up and about for the first time in months. He's still grievously injured, with no ability to stand and a poor grasping ability, plus severed motor/sensory nerves, plus an infection. This guy is hanging on for dear life.

Two recruits, one a speardwarf and another a wrestler got themselves killed by a cave croc- shortly after that Iteb slew the croc.
Since last update the new injuries are thus:

Legendary armorer took bruises to the legs, and her baby lost a finger to a crundle.
Two recruits were disposed of in seconds by a cave croc
A puppy bled to death after losing a leg to a naked mole dog.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #14345 on: July 06, 2011, 04:56:59 am »

Managed the last siege badly.
A mixed squad in training that was supposed to protect my marksdwarves decided to charge the bunch of axegobs in two's when the archers did not chow up in time.
All but two of them died to lost heads etc.
Then the archers and my miner squad turned up and struck blood.

the delay was most likely caused by me turning everyone off duty in order to haul the recycled elf/gob clothing to the damn human traders... who ignorerd the darn invasion btw.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 04:59:08 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

noah22223

• Bay Watcher
  • No. you fucking lose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14346 on: July 06, 2011, 07:17:04 am »

Oh god. Oh god. The dwarves... their catching on!
"This is an exceptional engraving of an omniscient overseer."
QUICK! PULL THE MAGMA LEVER!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8
So I'm a Depressing Jesus Wizard being stalked by Satan Lights, and my home's wiring is going bad?
Goddammit.

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14347 on: July 06, 2011, 09:07:24 am »

God damnit, another werewolf attack.

Other than that and a minor Trog incurrsion after breaching the first cavern layer, things are pretty quiet.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #14348 on: July 06, 2011, 09:11:25 am »

Other than that and a minor Trog incurrsion after breaching the first cavern layer, things are pretty quiet.

that's when..."the forgotten beast has arrived! beware his deadly dust! he flies!"
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14349 on: July 06, 2011, 10:30:45 am »

that's when..."the forgotten beast has arrived! beware his deadly dust! he flies!"

Got a contingency plan for that.  I've sealed off part of the cavern near the breaching point with a door to the rest of the cavern.  Tearing down the door should give my dwarfs enough time to raise the drawbridge.

My next step is to set up a supply depot down there for exploration teams.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 10:33:42 am by Gyvon »

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14350 on: July 06, 2011, 11:28:59 am »

Currently I'm lamenting how near perfect my fortress is. It's got, starting from the top, fire clay and white sand, nice big open caverns, with sourced water, a wide assortment of trees and animals, tetrahedrite and bituminous coal, lots of nifty gems, and magma close enough to build an obsidian farm. Between the humans, elves, and dwarves, I have access to most of the interesting animals, plants, and every metal saving adamantine and mithril(Dig Deeper), as well as flux and gypsum. Problem is, thanks to the wagon problem nobody ever brings too much of anything, the sourced water is far enough away that I need to build an aqueduct for everything, and I have coal but not iron, and the caverns are less open than I'd like, forcing me to do some earth moving and engineering before I can build into them.

TL;DR: Waah! My fortress is made of gold but I wanted platinum!

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #14351 on: July 06, 2011, 11:36:35 am »

Got a contingency plan for that.  I've sealed off part of the cavern near the breaching point with a door to the rest of the cavern.  Tearing down the door should give my dwarfs enough time to raise the drawbridge.

My next step is to set up a supply depot down there for exploration teams.

wait. your expecting your dwarves to be able to close a bridge...with a lever...in the precise instant a fb is ready to attack? that's going to be FUN! >.>

in my fort, it's time to become a capital. if just the merchants would leave...
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14352 on: July 06, 2011, 11:42:03 am »

Troll was hanging a little too close to my cavern wall.  Sent out my military to deal with it.  Zero casualties.

While they were down there, I noticed the local trog population was breeding like rabbits, so I sent the same squad to sterilize 'em.

Also, got the resupply depot up and running.

Khris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14353 on: July 06, 2011, 12:44:14 pm »

It's a calm fall in Containsilvers, and I actually did get some silver from galena and tetrahedrite ore, so the name fits a bit more now.
Struck down my two water buffalo bulls, honestly, whenever I looked into the reports screen I saw countless entries about animals fighting, and it was always a water buffalo bull fighting against other animals...since I didn't knew which one it was, I just slughtered both. Stupid aggressive things.

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14354 on: July 06, 2011, 01:35:08 pm »

Well, the relative quietness of my fort has been shattered by a Dark Strangler siege (Fortress Defense mod).  Easilly taken care of, but it still made me get off my ass and build that Archer's Tower I've been thinking of.

Other than that, I've pierced the second cavern layer and found a passage to the third one.
Pages: 1 ... 955 956 [957] 958 959 ... 3842