Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 954 955 [956] 957 958 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124517 times)

Mere Interest

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #14325 on: July 04, 2011, 12:16:38 pm »

A jeweler was gifted by Armok with a magnificent idea.  A gemstone the likes of which would inspire all dwarves looking on it.  But though the fortress had gemstones plentifully scattered across its many corridors, there was no workshop at which to cut them, and no dwarf headed the jeweler's cry for help.  Being neglected by his companions, he swore revenge.  Walking into the Grand Dining Room, the heart of the fortress, he decided that they all must die.

Nine there were, dining that day.  Nine dwarves, abandoned.  Peons, they were called, and their lot was nothing but hauling throughout the day.  Yet they saw in the jeweler's enraged eyes a threat, and the Nine would not neglect their fortress.  They were unarmed, but so was the jeweler, and they were nine while he was one.  They fell upon the jeweler, heedless of their own safety, worrying only of protecting the fortress against the jeweler's rage.  In the fray, a lucky punch landed on the jeweler, breaking the skull, driving the skull into the brain, and tearing the brain.

Yet while the threat of the jeweler had ended, the Nine knew that the fortress could not long survive without protection.  The goblin menace was increasing, and though the traps laid in defense had served the fortress well thus far, the Nine knew that no number of traps could replace the iron will of a true dwarven army.

The fortress of the Nine was a young fortress in a land of few minerals.  Though flux and zinc were plentiful, no trace of iron or of copper had been found in these hills.  What little had been purchased from traders was hammered out into a few breastplates.  The carpenters whittled swords of wood for the Nine to use until the merchants returned, or perhaps until the miners strike iron.

And so the Nine set themselves apart from the workings of the fortress.  They trained, sparring slowly against each other, letting their hands grow used to the weight of a sword.  They decided that it was time to train against captive goblins, victims of the traps protecting the fortress.

The Nine locked themselves into a small room, and waited.  From the ceiling was to come a naked goblin, suitable for training fights.  They watched the hatches, poised and ready.

They watched.  They waited.

From the ceiling came not the naked goblin that they had expected, but a goblin invader, armed with silver halberd, clothed with iron.  For a grievous mistake had been made, and the goblin had not been disarmed.  No one noticed before the goblin faced the Nine, and against that silver halberd, the Nine perished.  They gave the goblin a name, which in the human tongue is The Gloss of Disembowelment, and so the Nine fell.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14326 on: July 04, 2011, 01:23:42 pm »

Population before FB: 75
Population after FB: 3

Jesus. Who knew feathered slugs were so badass?

EDIT: And now I can't appoint nobles. What gives?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 01:59:58 pm by bucket »

xar23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14327 on: July 04, 2011, 01:27:15 pm »

I embarked in an area where the eastern third of the map immediately collapsed into the 12th level revealing 1) my lvl 1 cavern 2) an adamantine strand going up to the surface.  The only downside is that it collapsed across the river, causing to massive waterfalls (one of which I've dammed).  The other, unfortunately, starts 4 squares from the edge of the map, preventing me pumping or rerouting it before it takes the great, frame-rate killing, 12 z-level plunge.

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14328 on: July 04, 2011, 01:44:44 pm »

Okay, this is an interesting turn of events. It would appear that if a dwarf destroys something because of throwing a tantrum, gets locked up and subsequently goes insane whilst chained up, he will not starve to death, as dwarves treat him as a prisoner and keep him alive. The mason who went mad over the death of his cat is still alive long after he should have died and is still completely hatstand. What's more, although his sentence has ended, he's still chained up and still getting fed!
Oh, if only this were easier to control!
I'd have a whole basket of loony dwarves!

I shall call him "Bibbles".

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14329 on: July 04, 2011, 02:10:56 pm »

>:( Gaaah.  Frustration.

The goblin siege continues with one lasher squad still hanging out in a side tunnel.  The tunnel is a separate burrow - and it has orders to keep civilians out of it.  So what happens - they start going there to attempt to pick up a cage that has the goblin squad leader in it.  With 15 surrounding lashers.  Once one gets it, more start there to get the body, etc. etc.  I had to forbid everything in sight and lock additional doors to stop it and luckily the body count was only four or so.  (And I expect now they'll go out the far side of the fortress and start walking around the perimeter to get there...)

Meanwhile, another stray lasher wanders into the main keep area.  So I send out my trained melee squad from their ready barracks to deal with him.  A mace and a axe dwarf sally forth.  And the fight seems to take forever, with a dog joining in as well.  So I start checking reports and the only attacks the dwarves are making are punching the lasher and hitting him with their shields.  So I check inventory and neither one is actually carrying a weapon.  And the axe dwarf has been specifically assigned an axe.   :(

Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14330 on: July 04, 2011, 02:47:10 pm »

My now 15 year old mayor (with 3 unarmed goblin kills) lost the election to his 12 year old little sister.  :D

She also happens to like cotton candy... luckily I don't plan on assigning a sheriff (half my fort would be locked away if I made one now).

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14331 on: July 05, 2011, 07:12:16 am »

I just had the guy who killed the GCS that had been terrorizing my fortress into a glorified hatstand.
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14332 on: July 05, 2011, 11:11:08 am »

Elven caravan, migrants, WEREWOLF ATTACK!!!!  in that order.

Werewolf nearly killed an unarmed peasant before my axedwarf shopped his head off.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14333 on: July 05, 2011, 12:53:50 pm »

My bowyer went into a strange mood, claimed a bowyer's workshop, took a crusher log (Very dense wood) and glumprong, and made a sky destroyer (Amazingly powerful ranged weapon).
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14334 on: July 05, 2011, 03:23:32 pm »

Caught my first goblin snatcher.  He was summarily sentenced to death by Firing Squad.  An execution pit was promptly dug out.  Unfortunately for the goblin, my marksdwarves have not been training.  Death was slow and painful.

While that was going on, my leatherworker made an artifact leather buckler.  On that note, is there any advantage shields have over bucklers?

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14335 on: July 05, 2011, 04:04:41 pm »

So I'd bought a bunch of animals from traders with the sole intention of using them as walking leather factories.
It just so happens that amidst the hordes, I'd managed to lay my hands on some Rhesus Macaques.
Previously the bane of many a fortress thanks to their inherent kleptomania, it turns out they are utterly fearless and will attack anything they see.
Okay, they're a bit shit, but it doesn't matter.
I can say that I have ATTACK MACAQUES!

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #14336 on: July 05, 2011, 04:11:24 pm »

so...a conga line of badger boars went next to a conga line of incoming migrants.
I thought about bloodshed.
in the end each time a migrant passed through a boar died.
There is this trail of blood which is conga.formed and has dead boars has dots...
checking dwarves...proficient axedwarves with woodcutter enabled. aka armed and ready.
conscripted immediately, all 8 of them.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14337 on: July 05, 2011, 07:07:46 pm »

I just got a migrant with the last name "Kissedtreaties".  I'm putting him in the military.  Someday, they'll tell the story of how he kissed treaties goodbye, and slaughtered the human diplomat.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Kattel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14338 on: July 05, 2011, 08:10:00 pm »

so new fort...and my embark party gets ambushed by a troll (cave embark) about a month in:2 dead...rest to follow from serious tantrum spiral.
I was resigned to restarting but thought id let it play out anyway....so down to one dwarf who's trying to beat up the last war dog: dwarf bleeds to death......waiting for the end.....

BUT it seems that migrants arrived at precisely the same moment...so here i am with 7 new dwarfs and bunch or corpse's.

I like to think as these guys as team B..that didn't get picked for the expedition..and they got there revenge by sabotaging the first team. mwhahahaha.

PS: this was a new world gen...and all bar 400 dwarfs are dead from a few random titan rampages....
 i embarked as close to one of the two remaining mountain homes as feasible hoping this affects migration.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 09:06:16 pm by Kattel »
Invaders: Our arrows will blot out the sun!
Me: Then we will fight in the SLADE.
I fear that each time it tolled out the hour, some part of our souls would mournfully yearn: "A puppy should have died just now, but didn't."

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14339 on: July 05, 2011, 09:14:59 pm »

I'm running two story forts on two different websites, since I've found myself with more time to play DF and less interest in my other games.

To prevent burn out, I'm trying a lovely little challenge.  Urist Quixote, Dwarven Paladin!  With six peasant squires, Urist Quixote (proficient axedwarf, adequate armor and shield user, novice dodger) has embarked into a terrifying biome to prove that might and dwarven courage can triumph over everything!

Not really a story build, at the moment anyway, but the challenge is that I only packed minimal meat and drink, a few animals, and the rest are ores, lumber, and flux.  To prove his bravery (and to challenge myself) a suit of armor and weapons will be forged on site out of supplies on hand.  We'll see how it goes.  It's a bit softer than the true minimal survivor build, but I'm cushioning myself since it's TERRIFYING and there's no guarantee of iron on site (and those two combined would be a rather certain death sentence).
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves
Pages: 1 ... 954 955 [956] 957 958 ... 3842