Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 898 899 [900] 901 902 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6113015 times)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #13485 on: May 21, 2011, 04:07:02 am »

The siege has been lifted, but not before I managed to catch and murder some in my alley of traps. Some also got sent down to the bottom of the spear pit. And there are survivors, too!
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13486 on: May 21, 2011, 06:14:10 am »

My Expedition leader likes basalt and is busy digging out the living quarters of my fortress in basalt. He'll be chuffed.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

TailorTF

• Bay Watcher
  • You know pots?Yeah,let's use pots now.Forever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13487 on: May 21, 2011, 08:13:58 am »

Rivertraps,my first hand customized fortress is currently making a load of nest boxes and hives to not starve to death before constructing the actual river traps.Also,I saw some alligators down the river,but hopefully they will ignore my dwarves for now.
Does anyone know if eggs and honey can feed a 7-dwarf fortress or not?Also,why is this thread not stickied yet?

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13488 on: May 21, 2011, 08:27:38 am »

Expansion continues, built a covered Depot to the south of my map with a paved road, will help stop the cravans getting ambushed.

The top levels of my Dwarf Scraper (plenty of green glass windows) are being finished.

After a long hiatus, sieges have started again, i'm going to start roofing my outdoor area in preparation for flying mounts.

The Cavern Conquerers are having their Burrow/Barracks/Minifort prepared, when the time comes may they meet glory or FB-Dust death.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13489 on: May 21, 2011, 08:31:09 am »

Just started my first new fortress in over a year, looking forward to seeing how much I've fatally forgotten.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13490 on: May 21, 2011, 09:13:46 am »

Streamtrades had to be abandoned, sadly. A goblin incursion (followed by what was going to be a minor disaster) made at least one well-armed recruit go berserk. Such a pity, too; it was such a good fort.

I think I know what I'd do differently, though.

Brew a shitload more alcohol.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13491 on: May 21, 2011, 09:21:32 am »

So much clutter... crafts... clothes... Ever since the previous human caravan died in the siege, we've been anxiously waiting for the next one by doing what we do best: Production. Autumn has come and passed us by with no dwarven caravan. We've outwaited the winter and another siege like so many hibernating animals do. Spring has arrived and while the lack of elves has filled us with satisfaction, we've also been deprived of another chance to haul off our junk. The stockpiles have been rising in height day after day. The recent slaughter of the spear pit survivors has contributed even more to the gargantuan mountain of clutter. Summer comes, but the doors to the stockpiles can't hold off the immense pressure laid upon them by the clutter for much longer. Our eyes, tired and weary after having watched the horizons for a year and a quarter, are telling our minds that this will be another season without a caravan. In an act of desperation, the factories will remain silent for the rest of the year while we barricade the doors to the stockpiles.

But wait! What's that on the mountain? Can it possibly be- It's a goddamn human caravan! At last! 1.25 years of waiting has finally paid off! Everyone are to haul the goods to the depot immediately. Everything in the stockpiles, hallways, every nook and cranny that can be classified as clutter is going. The traders have arrived at the depot. The Cleansing has begun.

Alas, the sheer volume is too much for the drunken dwarves to handle. Autumn is approaching and the humans' patience is running out. At the end of the day, we only managed to sell off about one third of the clutter. The traders announce their departure and thus Towerrocks enters another period of waiting. Another period during which the factories will remain silent, once again.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Angry Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • Prone to catastrophic apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13492 on: May 21, 2011, 09:50:01 am »

Can I have your attention please. Can I have your attention please. Any dwarf found to be generating unresolvable cancellation spam will be scheduled to meet with captain spiketrap to discuss being reclassified as skill-rust prevention practice for our doctors. Unrelated to this, make sure to admire the new weapon trap with a large adamantine serrated disc in the main meeting area. No further announcements. Thank you for your time.
FUN FOR THE FUN GOD

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13493 on: May 21, 2011, 10:18:51 am »

Embarked on a volcano. I am building my entire fortress inside of it, and my main defense against the hordes of evil will be crossbow dwarves that will shoot attackers trying to cross my narrow bridges.

ZZmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13494 on: May 21, 2011, 12:15:56 pm »

Well that was awesome in a saveskum kinda way I'm building a tower of Dacite and I've gotten it 15 levels up when i had a accident happen one of the blocks was place next to a Hatch i had placed beforehand and like a bridge won't support weight and dropped the block 40 z levels down my main stair case rooms killing 12 dwarfs bringing more dacite up then the second one gets place dropping as well. that one went 50 z down and took out another 15 dwarfs so the 21 dwarfs i had left all of them went nuts. i mean as awesome as that was i just didn't want to see 3 game years of work go bye bye.
DK advisor quote was the message thingy of DF with: "Uric Glodson does a wonderful impression of the baron, he can even do the nose. He has been sentenced to 40 hammerstrikes for his insolence."

Sir Leonard III

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13495 on: May 21, 2011, 12:21:45 pm »

Currently trying to get armor and weapons for my military to take over some part of the deep caverns.
Currently my second squad has nothing, whatsoever.

The lack of a human caravan ever coming, because I started out where there wasn't one, is annoying me because I have to make ALL my items.
Hush little baby, listen to my song,
Mamma's gonna tan you a troll leather thong.
And if that thong don't menace with spikes,
Mamma's gonna kill you whatever you like...

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13496 on: May 21, 2011, 12:54:58 pm »

Well, the access tunnel I built to attempt to repair my drainage system flooded too. Now I have no way of accessing the pump at the bottom level... I think I'm just going to re-purpose the torture chamber into a silk farm and build a new torture chamber near my magma storage facility.

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13497 on: May 21, 2011, 01:31:14 pm »

Started up a new fortress/world for various reasons, and apparently in this ones, the little dwarflets get started young:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think I need to figure out which baby that is and be ready to draft her into my military when she grows up...

If you've got Therapist, set your preferences so it'll show babies/children and give all your lil' dwarfs easily recognized names (or numbers... whatever works). Then check through the unit list and see which ones have a wolf kill to their credit, then gift them a fitting title. Course, this only works if the baby killed the wolf...

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13498 on: May 21, 2011, 03:18:12 pm »

My fortress is still young, and it's getting close to the first shipment of supplies arriving to Duskdagger from the Mountainhomes. I have my masons working on a wall surrounding the moat that my now-Legendary Miner dug out from the nearby river, and part of it is going to be turned into a turtle farm. Going to after doing that create a means of allowing only citizens into the main body of the fortress, using a pit, a retracting bridge, and pressure plates.

Also pretty damn certain that I'm going to have to either trade for iron or bronze or whatever, otherwise I'm going to simply have to rely on traps for the defense of my fortress. Why? The only metal available on site is platinum. While it's worth a lot it's useless for weapons, so I'm going to make some platinum crafts to trade to the caravans.

I think I should probably also work on building another dormitory for my dwarves, and then perhaps work on creating a meeting hall or something. I don't know, I'm just trying to figure out what to do for these guys as I go along.

But yeah, turtle farm.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13499 on: May 21, 2011, 04:02:13 pm »

One month away until Melbilonshen fortress 20th year starts.

But this fortress is doomed to fall... there's more children and civvies than soldiers now. Marksdwarves have little bolts and immigrants are too scared to arrive - while enemies come in large numbers, either mounted, with crossbows, or both.

Insanity also takes it toll. Oh well, a tantrum spiral in middle of siege will be a nice way to end this fort :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.
Pages: 1 ... 898 899 [900] 901 902 ... 3842