Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 897 898 [899] 900 901 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6113150 times)

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #13470 on: May 20, 2011, 04:41:34 pm »

I went through the init files and noticed that invaders got turned off. Fixed that, and got two ambushes at the same time. Again the goblins went after my pasturized animals, bringing the map's death toll to 107. My dwarves again hid in their burrows to wait out the massacre. Some elven merchants also were able to slip in, trade, and leave again without disrupting the goblins' slaughter. Eventually, some animals headed to my interior meeting halls, leading the goblins over the cage traps.

During this time, I managed to breach the aquifer, leaving me with a 7 by 8 hole. Going to start digging down to find this mythical magma sea that will power my industries.

I've also eased up the restrictions on permitting babies at Bridgegate. In less then a year after the change, five babies haunt my halls. I hope I don't regret this.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13471 on: May 20, 2011, 05:52:32 pm »

Started up a new fortress/world for various reasons, and apparently in this ones, the little dwarflets get started young:

I think I need to figure out which baby that is and be ready to draft her into my military when she grows up...

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13472 on: May 20, 2011, 06:39:10 pm »

Hah... a hall of 34 cage traps being the only entrance to my fort has paid off. 4 goblin snatchers, which were then dropped from 10 stories high. They also happen to be my first source of weapons, if I ever get off my butt and make a military.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13473 on: May 20, 2011, 06:43:41 pm »

"A vile force of darkness has arrived!"

Double siege. Awesome. 15 Goblin Hammermen and eight Trolls are advancing from the west. 15 Goblin Bowmen, two Goblin Elite Crossbowmen and a bajillion Beak Dogs advancing from the east. Two of the trolls have already managed to rush through the secondary entrance but luckily got caught in the cage traps. I'm raising the bridge though, buy some time. On the other hand, the two doors at the primary entrance won't hold against anything, thus any available masons are to wall around that part. If I'm lucky I can lure the invaders into a 7 Urist drop onto spears.

EDIT: Trolls have blue blood?
Eridan and Vriska do.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13474 on: May 20, 2011, 07:34:05 pm »

My valiant marksdwarfs got machine gunned by an elite goblin crossbowman.
These fortifications are not the great help I hoped for.
One survivor made it to the hospital where he is bleeding all over the place while my chief doc cheerfully ignores his diagnosis request.
Still desperately searching for iron ore.
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

Mr. Argent

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:TRAITOROUS_NATURE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13475 on: May 20, 2011, 07:52:56 pm »

I'm starting up a new fortress, inspired by a certain part from Portal 2 that involves salt mines! So far, i can't do testing spheres but i am digging out large elaborate shafts with large hollow "Columns" in the center that the Dorves live and play in.
Urist McVenom Cancels strange mood: Being exiled.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13476 on: May 20, 2011, 08:23:23 pm »

Welp, I just flooded my execution chamber drainage system whilst trying to set up a system of pretty waterfalls for my dwarves. So now I have to try and find a way to dig a new section of drainage! Hurray. It will probably involve more pump stacks back into the river. I tend to recycle my water :3

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13477 on: May 20, 2011, 08:26:26 pm »

something like 7 strange moods so far, and only two successes (bone and wood crafters incidentally). Even though I have no real military, I do have a crapload of war dogs, and they've killed every single berserker so far.

I love war dogs, and almost every dwarf has their own now.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13478 on: May 20, 2011, 09:18:18 pm »

Streamtrades was visited by the Fey fairy last night again, this time waving her little wand over one of my miners. I didn't realise mining was a Fey-able skill, but there you go.

My miner cranked out a rather spiffy looking haematite floodgate (He used so much goddamn haematite and limestone... also some badger bones!) that I'm going to install as a decoration in my mayor's room to, er, reward him when he gets around to enjoying the perks of being a nobleman.

So far, he's banned the export of sterling silver, which is a little perplexing since there's none on this bloody map. He's also ordered me to make more iron battleaxes. Given our recent goblin encounters, I've been pumping out battleaxes as fast as I can make fuel, so I have no problem with this particular order.

My Main Hall's drowning trap is going splendidly, and I hope like hell it works. Two massive  tanks, one on either side of the entrance chamber to the rest of my fort. At the pull of a lever, drawbridges at every entrance retract; doors keep the room sealed. Then I can flood the room... I'm praying that that's all that happens and I don't turn the rest of my fort into swimming pool. I'm also going to have to set up some floodgates to control the drowning trap - and to, you know, make the room dry again.

I'm expecting another goblin incursion soon. I think I'll hole up and seal off the fort; I'm nowhere near ready. Maybe I should build a few traps.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13479 on: May 20, 2011, 10:23:48 pm »

Got some cave blob fluid laced with cave blob fluid covered by cave blob fluid.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13480 on: May 20, 2011, 10:27:10 pm »

Got some cave blob fluid laced with cave blob fluid covered by cave blob fluid.
What the fuck just happened here?  :P

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13481 on: May 20, 2011, 10:38:27 pm »

Some years ago in the fortress of Sparkrazor, I pissed off the elves badly enough for them to send some 30+ simultaneous ambush groups.  Seems they didn't approve of my cutting down every tree on the map and then shooting their diplomat in the face for several years in a row.  That spring my game was being interrupted by messages of "Curse all friends of nature" non-stop for a month.  Interestingly, they all appeared in basically the same spot on the map edge.

I was well prepared for them, and was able to funnel the entire group of some hundred or so elves and their mounts onto a retracting bridge over a pit which was deep enough to kill some of them and massively injure the rest.  The pit, now packed full of broken elves crawling in agony over the mangled bodies of their companions, had a wall lined with fortifications several levels above the floor.  Not wanting to put perfectly good targets to waste, I stationed my marksdwarf Captain of the Guard at the fortifications with a large stockpile of bolts.  He then proceeded to spend months picking off injured elves from above.  He's a Legendary marksdwarf, but there were a lot of elves and mounts in the pit.  It took him long enough to pick them off that one of the horses the elves brought gave birth to a female foal.

Thanks to a weird bug in DF, that foal was hostile to the elves.  She immediately began fighting the horribly injured and crippled prisoners trapped in the pit with it.  She must have scored a kill, as it gained the name of Ofalini, "Foldedcats".  She also gained a remarkable list of injuries: broken lower and upper spine, broken nose and ribs, mangled left eye, missing right ear and right rear hoof, and pages of bruises and cuts.  Eventually, I opened the pit into a corridor lined with cage traps, capturing Ofalini and a few remaining invaders.

Ofalini the horribly injured foal, child of elven invaders, born in a blood-soaked pit of corpses and death and knowing only violence and pain, has become somewhat of a mascot in my fortress.  I didn't have the heart to butcher her, so I tamed her and gave her her own pasture on the surface.  Somehow, she didn't die of infection or blood loss, and healed her injuries as well as possible.  She still can't walk, and is probably deaf on one side and blind on the other, and her body is a mass of scars.  Yet she manages to drag herself around her pasture and eat enough grass to avoid starving, constantly flashing a red plus sign.

Ofalini, now having grown to become an adult horse, surprised me by giving birth this year.  Impregnated by spores from the latest elven invasion, I suspect, and her massively injured state didn't prevent her from giving birth.  The foal she gave birth to had the status of 'tame', yet every dwarf who saw it ran away terrified as if it was a hostile invader.  Fortunately, the foal also ran away from my dwarves.  I wasn't able to order my military to kill it, but they were smart enough to try and kill it on their own when I ordered them to a nearby position.

I've been trying to train up some more military, especially one novice Hammerdwarf who I've given an artifact steel warhammer my one weaponsmith recently created.  I hoped to use the foal for a bit of live training.  At first he and the other novices couldn't even catch it, chasing it around the map but never getting close enough to land a blow.  I eventually called out my Captain of the Guard, who put a few crossbow bolts into the foal, enough to slow it down so the others could catch it.  The novice Hammerer caught up to it, and then proceeded to spend some time whacking it with his artifact hammer to almost no effect.  The combat log was full of page after page of him inflicting bruises and fractures, but not seeming to accomplish much.  Eventually my Captain must have decided this was enough, casually strolled over to the foal, and with a single blow from his steel crossbow crushed the foal's skull, killing it.  So much for training the new guys.  Do steel warhammers just suck, or is my novice Hammerdwarf just no good?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13482 on: May 21, 2011, 02:09:05 am »

Setting up a makeshift trap system down at the secondary entrance.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13483 on: May 21, 2011, 03:38:19 am »

Started up a new fortress/world for various reasons, and apparently in this ones, the little dwarflets get started young:

I think I need to figure out which baby that is and be ready to draft her into my military when she grows up...

Once one of my babies went insane and started trying to kill things. I think it actually managed to tear a cat's leg off before it got killed by a soldier.
[Signature]

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13484 on: May 21, 2011, 03:41:08 am »

I've been busy dealing with an incursion of gnomes. These annoying midgets are running wild and interrupting important tasks everywhere.

Streamtrades is coming along nicely; I've nearly finished my first layer of defense, a retractable bridge; soon I'm gonig to divert the nearby river to become a nice moat.

We're facing a slight booze shortage, sine the idiot dwarves decided to stuff their bloody faces with every single plump helmet I have instead of brewing the bloody things. I'm now strip-harvesting the surface world for plants, hoping to get lucky and find a patch of strawberries. I have a crop of plump helmets growing, but I might be in a bit of trouble. As soon as the bloody dwarves move one particular rock, I'll be golden and can open the floodgates to fill my reservoir.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!
Pages: 1 ... 897 898 [899] 900 901 ... 3842