Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 900 901 [902] 903 904 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6113173 times)

Mcducks22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #13515 on: May 22, 2011, 03:33:02 pm »

He has begun a mysterious construction!

The ingredients are:

Adamantine wafers
Dolomite
2 cloth

Fingers crossed...

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13516 on: May 22, 2011, 03:44:23 pm »

My tower of death doesn't work on buzzards (predictably). However, it also appears to not work on the friendly lion i stole from the elves. I dropped it, it fell to the ground, and without even a scratch walks away. not only that, but apparently it walked away and dissappeared. You can't steal elvish animals?
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Mcducks22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13517 on: May 22, 2011, 03:45:02 pm »

Bah!

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13518 on: May 22, 2011, 04:01:38 pm »

My tower of death doesn't work on buzzards (predictably). However, it also appears to not work on the friendly lion i stole from the elves. I dropped it, it fell to the ground, and without even a scratch walks away. not only that, but apparently it walked away and dissappeared. You can't steal elvish animals?
Stealing animals is a bit iffy as of now, but a solution is indicated there: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Trading
Also, the lion may have survived if he landed on another creature. They cushion whatever falls on them, preventing them from taking normal falling damage.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13519 on: May 22, 2011, 04:38:16 pm »

My militia commander just bisected an elf using a freaking Copper shortsword. I was apprehensive about the fact that he'd grown attached to it at first... but clearly he won't have trouble killing baddies with it

Rhas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13520 on: May 22, 2011, 05:01:22 pm »

Theres a ghost of a bone carver going around in my fortress. He was killed by a camel, which really tells you everything you need to know about this guy.

Lately he has risen as a ghost and started pummeling my other dorfs. I was like "meh, they can take it"

On closer inspection it turns out that damn ghost goes around and tears the left leg of all my guys.

I have 5 guys on crutches already and he shows no sign of stopping.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 05:05:52 pm by Rhas »

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13521 on: May 22, 2011, 05:11:14 pm »

...that is all.
[Signature]

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13522 on: May 22, 2011, 05:24:00 pm »

So he's swolen and rotten, I think you just got a boomer.
Nom nom nom

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13523 on: May 22, 2011, 07:46:57 pm »

Hoooooo boy. I ought to stop messing with this water.

After attempting to set up my first dwarven perpetual waterwheel, the lack of housing I built for the contraption has caused it to overload and start spitting water all over the work area. Even though I've cut off the brook which was feeding the reservoir the wheel was working from, it may take a while before the machine drains all the water that was in the reservoir. A few dwarves almost got trapped down in the magma working area, but were luckily able to fight the flood and get back upstairs.

I hope it doesn't reach my magma smelters, that's a recipe for !!FUN!!

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13524 on: May 22, 2011, 07:59:02 pm »

In Holdcraft...

My entrance is under a 4-tile-wide waterfall, so all my dorfs are as cheery as if they'd just finished an artifact, even though I've been seriously lazy about making enough booze. One dorf did make an artifact really recently, a dog bone shield (from puppy bones, actually, i have soooo much dog bone from slaughtering the pups as soon as they drop out of their mummy) which is cool. Another died because I couldn't be bothered to get him what he needed, but he was a fresh migrant so no one cared.

Also, first mawwiage... Rigoth and Rigoth! One's a glazer, one's a glassmaker, don't ask me to tell you which. Too busy laughing to distinguish them, anyway.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13525 on: May 22, 2011, 08:53:25 pm »

If that has an image of itself, which would have an image of itself, which would have an image of itself...
I've got it! RULROTIG-INFINITE SMAAAAAAAASH!!!

Bah!
Just so you know, artifact-quality crossbows basically shoot homing nukes. Just, uh, keep them supplied, so they don't bonk them on the head with it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13526 on: May 22, 2011, 08:58:25 pm »

Rapidfire homing nukes.  Crossbow quality improves the user's effective skill with the weapon.  Give one to an already good crossbowdorf and he upgraded from a AR-15 to a frikkin minigun. 

I think I had a legendary crossbow user with an artifact crossbow have 3 bolts flying through the air at once.  Though admittedly it was hard to be sure since he was in formation with the rest of his squad.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 09:00:10 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13527 on: May 22, 2011, 09:32:00 pm »

Woooooot I love Goblins. They just ambushed a human caravan, tore the poor merchants a couple dozen new ones.

Then they were content to just sit on their assess outside my wall, presumably waiting till someone invited them in.

I wouldn't have this. I'd tried waiting out goblin sieges before and let me tell you it is the most boring goddamn thing a man can do. So! Instead, I decided to, for all intents and purposes, open up a tunnel under my wall so my dwarves could crawl out and beat the shit out of the goblins.

The area I opened up from used to be a murky pool. I built a ramp from the bottom level up to the surrounding rim, so my dwarves emerged on a narrow walkway surrounding an open pit which went 1 Z down.

The dumbass miner who dug the ramp decided it would be fun to go grab some of the remnants of the crap the caravan left behind. As did a nearby carpenter who was probably running dumping duty on the shit from my swordsman prisoners; they were part of a small squad of swordsman who spawned on the opposite side of the map from the main force, which murdered themselves partially on my weapon traps and mainly on my squad of 4 elite marksdwarves. I'd like to mention at this point that, with my fort of 125 dwarves, I have 8 military personnel on defense duty (that is to say, excluding the guard, which I do not equip to fight actual enemies).

The axedwarves of my new main army began pouring up the ramp. First on the scene for the goblins was a macelord, followed shortly by his squad of Goblin Hammer men. Since things were so close quarters, it was impossible to tell who was really doing what to whom... but the gist was that my military commander went out and beat the shit out of some random hammerman, whilst two of my other axedwarves went and dueled with the Macelord and the now-present Axe lord, who had lead a squad of Crossbow goblins.

Early on in the fighting, my least experienced axedwarf was shot in the chest, though fortunately with a silver arrow which only bruised his lung. I thought this might spell ill for him, but immediately after getting shot he smashed a Goblin Hammerman's head in with one fell blow.

Now originally, I set it up so that my axedwarves were waiting right at the site of the opening ramp, and my marksdwarves were a short distance away, prepared for the worst. Since things began going my way, I moved them into the empty pit itself, where they turned the tide of the duels with the goblin Mace and Axe lords. The immense pain caused by their masterwork bolts caused the axedwarves that were fighting the lords to slice them into very brief pieces.

Since this is beginning to get long-winded, here's a picture to summarize the aftermath:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Watching so many goblins flee at once is just the most awesome sight I can contemplate.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 10:02:28 pm by Stoup »

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13528 on: May 22, 2011, 09:45:12 pm »

Finally reached magma! Now it's time to start making gear for my military! And other amusing things...

I've also been doing some culling with my turkeys and reorganizing stockpiles to get everything in a barrel/pot. Soon, I will have a enough surplus foodstuffs to trade off to the next few caravans for new metals.

Fidna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13529 on: May 22, 2011, 09:47:37 pm »

Gobbos out the ass. First six different ambushes, now my eighth siege. I just want to live, you little green bastards. No matter, I have a squad with all adamantine gear at this point. Everyone else is mostly in bronze and copper though.
Pages: 1 ... 900 901 [902] 903 904 ... 3842