Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 803 804 [805] 806 807 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120120 times)

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #12060 on: April 01, 2011, 10:58:45 am »

After my last fort was destroyed in the giant badger massacre of 251, I've decided to try a terrifying forest. Welcome to Ul Duz, "The Pants of Smearing".

Also, my civilization is called "The Splattered Smith". This bodes extremely well.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12061 on: April 01, 2011, 11:18:02 am »

Great, the golem and giant leopard I tied to ropes in the cavern to ward off flying beasts got in a fight and the giant leopard is now dead.

One of the idiot miners trapped himself on a pillar in the second cavern by digging out and up/down stairway from below. He was dehydrated and starving when I found him, which was purely by coincidence. He'll probably be all right if he doesn't starve to death while drinking masterfully brewed strawberry wine.

Well, now both my clothiers have had strange moods and are legendary. I suppose this makes up for the death of my famed leatherworker... OH GOD DAMNIT DF CRASHED BEFORE I COULD FINISH TYPING. That new legendary clothier is gone! GONE! I have to save that dumbass miner again too.  >:(
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 11:27:04 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Bleaktea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12062 on: April 01, 2011, 12:05:57 pm »

I tried embarking on a terrifying biome, with the intent of building an above-ground castle.  I'd laid the foundations for the castle (out of bauxite - blood red stone, ooooo) when skeletal giant badgers arrived and tore the entire team to bloody shreds.  The war dogs I brought basically just watched, little heads tilted curiously.

Then I went the other way and embarked on a Serene biome... which was covered in bubble bulbs, resulting in the map being a mass of cyan oOoOoo.OoOooo that were really hard to look at for some reason, so I abandoned that one, gave up and went back to Wheelsabbeys ("The Duchess demands more crossbows!  I must have crossbows!  And black bronze statues of goblins strangling each other!").

Is there a setting to disable the display of different grasses and just use a generic "grass" for everything?  The bubble bulb thing was headache-inducing.  Although maybe that's my fault for playing using a tileset, like some kind of little baby.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12063 on: April 01, 2011, 12:34:27 pm »

The d_init file has something that makes ground lose variety and appear solely as dots instead of a set of 's, ,s, .s and the like.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12064 on: April 01, 2011, 01:34:19 pm »

Spring update from Ul Dir, "The Pants of Smearing": We've already suffered several attacks by zombie badger people and a zombie leopard. We lost both dogs, and a zombie badger woman punched our engineer to death. Frickin' redshirts. As we pass into summer, we've completed a wall which should prevent further dmaage by wandering beasties.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12065 on: April 01, 2011, 02:24:21 pm »

lol, i just made a new fort, and before i even checked the territory, i was like "...i dont care WHAT happens, im keeping this place..." why? because my outpost was named....

CITYHEROES!!!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12066 on: April 01, 2011, 03:06:12 pm »

I think he's using 40d's Civ Forge.
Void Crystal is a Civ Forge metal, but the mod is completely up to date.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12067 on: April 01, 2011, 03:08:02 pm »

My mayor just went berserk after no one made him a gold bed.
He killed a planter who happened to stand near him, and kept bashing on one of my doctors, until my legendary swordsdwarf militia commander interrupted him.
He cut off both his arms and both legs, but then the mayor bit him in the head, through the *bronze helm*, then shook him around until the head came off  :o

Okaaaaaaay...
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12068 on: April 01, 2011, 03:10:55 pm »

My mayor just went berserk after no one made him a gold bed.
He killed a planter who happened to stand near him, and kept bashing on one of my doctors, until my legendary swordsdwarf militia commander interrupted him.
He cut off both his arms and both legs, but then the mayor bit him in the head, through the *bronze helm*, then shook him around until the head came off  :o

Okaaaaaaay...

That's a refreshing variation on the usual "I'll bite your kneecaps off!".

Pretty scary, too. If you can make a chain strong enough to hold him, chain him out in front of your fort and you'll never need any other defense.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12069 on: April 01, 2011, 03:13:09 pm »

I'm giving up on my current fort. Turns out the zombie leopard dodged off the side of the cliff while fighting my dog and is now stuck in the river, unable to drown, and unable to climb out. I'm getting message spam from cancelled tasks as my dwarves walk near it, freak out, and run away. I don't have any quivers, crossbows, or bolts, and even if I did I'm sure it would take ages to kill with their low skill. I can't be bothered. New fort, here I come!

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12070 on: April 01, 2011, 03:24:52 pm »

Just been having a bit of a mess about experimenting with some different industries. I'm not in Spring of the 4th year of this fort and so far have;

Just recently become a barony
Had two legendary armor-smiths from moods
Killed a semi-megabeast and a titan, losing one dwarf each time
Killed three goblin ambushes with no losses
Killed a human and elven caravan

Fairly chuffed with the kills considering I'm only equipping my military with iron. My militia commander wearing an artifact breastplate and buckler and everything else master-crafted almost single-handedly killed the two mosters before some random recruit swooped in to steal the kill. I'm hoping for some seiges or another titan soon, otherwise I'll try and find the caverns for some Fun.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 03:28:02 pm by Darkweave »

Os Q

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12071 on: April 01, 2011, 03:53:49 pm »

Newbunkle, have you tried digging a channel in the river to create a ramp out?

As a rule, I should also mention draining the river and/or magma.

Anyway

My fort was attacked by goblin lashers before my drawbridge was finished. Now half my military is going to die of infection because I hadn't made any soap ready, and soap production is constantly interrupted by the water in lye buckets bug. Note to self: Have soap before you need it.

Still, the elves brought me a ton of wood and I'm swimming in iron ore and silver.
..at least put some spikes in your clubs for goodness sake!

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12072 on: April 01, 2011, 04:12:46 pm »

Fought off another ambush. Zero casualties. Hammermen and a lasher (who was caught in a cage trap which triggered the ambush).
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12073 on: April 01, 2011, 04:13:02 pm »

AFKSDFJAD;HJ;KJASDFHASDF~!!!

I REALLY NEED TO FRIGGIN CHECK IF I STILL HAVE REVEAL ON BEFORE I UNPAUSE!!!

i lost cityheroes cuz i accidently let the demons out...

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12074 on: April 01, 2011, 04:17:19 pm »

Newbunkle, have you tried digging a channel in the river to create a ramp out?

As a rule, I should also mention draining the river and/or magma.

I think the miners would have aborted the job to build the ramp due ot the leopard. The other suggestions are awesome too, but I couldn't have coped with the spam for long enough to get there. It's too late in any case, as I've already abandoned.
Pages: 1 ... 803 804 [805] 806 807 ... 3842