Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 804 805 [806] 807 808 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120178 times)

BurnCruise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #12075 on: April 01, 2011, 04:22:06 pm »

Just discovered that my embark site has no iron and the only flux is marble. I can make brass, but not bronze because i dont have tin. My military has to survive on wood, leather and trade until i hit... "candy". I even found magma only 18 z levels down, but i have no way of getting it up to the surface.

Looks like my marksdwarves are going to be getting plenty of practice.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12076 on: April 01, 2011, 04:26:42 pm »

I even found magma only 18 z levels down, but i have no way of getting it up to the surface.

Do you have sand? If you have sand, you can create green glass blocks/tubes/corkscrews, which are magma-safe.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12077 on: April 01, 2011, 04:31:41 pm »

Every time I mine down to a cavern it's either the right size, yet full of troglodytes. Or it's really messed up with ramps everywhere...
Blargh.

BurnCruise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12078 on: April 01, 2011, 05:18:35 pm »

I even found magma only 18 z levels down, but i have no way of getting it up to the surface.

Do you have sand? If you have sand, you can create green glass blocks/tubes/corkscrews, which are magma-safe.

Thank god!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12079 on: April 01, 2011, 05:36:49 pm »

Huh, a wall I ordered to be built half a year ago never got built, which was the critical entry path for a forgotten beast. Either the building material became inaccessible or dwarves will not stand on screw pump walkable tiles to make constructions.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Thor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12080 on: April 01, 2011, 05:39:29 pm »

Trolls broke into my catacombs during the 4th Siege of Bronzefern. No doubt due to War-Leader Zolak Strodnogusslax's plans.
We shall smite ye foul beasts from our fortress's bowels with the holiest of Armok's blessings! First Steel and Fury, then cleanse the blight with burning magma.

The dead shall have their revenge!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 05:41:04 pm by Thor »
Heroes Of My World.
Astesh Delightinks the Pungent Trust of Towers

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12081 on: April 01, 2011, 05:41:46 pm »

My fort is both starving and dehydrating, yet still not dieing.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12082 on: April 01, 2011, 05:44:18 pm »

My fort is both starving and dehydrating, yet still not dieing.

funny. i had the opposite.

I thought i had a steady amount of food and water in stockpiles, yet when everything got fcuked up, all of my dwarves started dying of dehydration or starved (by "kufced up" i mean I got bored and started flooding the whole world in magma)

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12083 on: April 01, 2011, 05:44:54 pm »

Merchants at Craftgates? Awesome, let's see what they ha-

**masterwork steel chain shirt**

HOLY FUCK BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT

Meanwhile the miners and engravers are discreetly scouting Cave 2 for what I haven't yet told them is magma. :D

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12084 on: April 01, 2011, 07:48:38 pm »

On a whim, genned a new world. The world ocean is called the Ocean of Murder. And my first miner worships Enten the Diamnond of Chance, a male dwarf associated with gambling.

Hmm...
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12085 on: April 01, 2011, 08:24:39 pm »

i keep picking embarks without iron ores and keep abandonning them...while i was waiting for the game to abandon i checked df wiki...

how rare are platypus men?

can i make them wear fedora's?

if so, i will do so. and name it perry.

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12086 on: April 01, 2011, 10:06:17 pm »

It's the 10th year of Drilledirons, and the hiding is over. For 10 years we've sat behind closed gates while the ailed forces of evil sit outside, waiting for an opportunity to reach us and our amassed wealth. Today we will let them in; today they die!

So 10 years into this fort, I've got 40 dedicated soldiers decked out in masterwork mithril (about 75% better than steel, weight of aluminum) and they've been sparing for about 5 years. They all have masterwork weapons, steel battleaxes, platinum hammers (heavier than silver) and 8 of them with crossbows.
I've decided to not use a danger room this time, and figure 5 years of sparring must be worth something... right? No, it's not.
They manage to wipe out 2 of the 5 enemy squads, the third overtakes them and the other 2 arrive and wipe most of them out. That's just the first singeing civ, I'm using a mod, so there's 3 others on their way down the stairs now too.
Now that my 5 years of training and 3 million in armor and weapons are bled out on the cavern floor, I'm too disappointed to close the inner gate and rebuild; I let the enemy in.
They pour through the halls like water, 200 of them at least, swarming everywhere. At least I'm sure some of them went blind when they got to my stockpiles and were dazzled by the 750 gold barrels that held all our food.
A berzerking dwarf kills the last sane citizen before the enemy can reach them.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 10:09:15 pm by Krelos »
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

hapes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12087 on: April 02, 2011, 12:01:53 am »

Siege!  Quick, close the front bridge!  Oh crap, middle of the three bridges is not linked, quick, deconstruct it!  Whew, made it in time.  Siegers gave up and left, but not before a couple trolls got in.  Thankfully, at the cost of about 5 to 8 dwarves, they were defeated.  A lot of my front gate was destroyed by their buddies, but nothing I can't replace.  Let's start cleaning u-SIEGE!  Pull the bridge shut again!  WAIT THE MIDDLE BRIDGE STILL ISN'T LINKED THEY'RE GETTING IN, HELP HELP I AAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaa......

You have succumbed to the invasion.

Rushmik

• Bay Watcher
  • Militia? Oh, you mean *serrated steel discs*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12088 on: April 02, 2011, 12:29:16 am »

A giant mite with deadly dust battled its way up into my main hall. My military swarmed it, but they were no match for its explosive dust attack. Eventually four brave soldiers pushed the beast into a well, and all five of them plummeted 20 or so z-levels into the cavern, exploding on impact with the submerged cavern floor.

Bravo.  :o

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12089 on: April 02, 2011, 01:38:29 am »

My latest fortress, Toursystems, seems to be on top of a mother lode of lignite. I was inspired to line the outside of my moat with coke floors in order to deter invaders. Is this awesome? (y/n)
Pages: 1 ... 804 805 [806] 807 808 ... 3842