Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 801 802 [803] 804 805 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120346 times)

Banehallow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #12030 on: March 31, 2011, 03:58:05 pm »

So I start up a new fort, and I begin as usual.

I go diggy diggy hole, and make a moat around a huge piece of forest so I have a relatively safe place to cut wood.
Then I start making all the basic stuff my dwarves need, food, booze, housing, the works.
After a while though, I've still had no immigrants, and I'm struggling a bit to keep the fort going, as I was kinda counting on some immigrants, as I'm planning to make this quite a large fort.

Then finally, as if sent from the heavens, I get the message: "Some migrants have arrived."
Thrilled, I count them, hoping to have at least 5 dwarves I desperately need.
I get 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ... 22 migrants O.O

Then to top it off, my expedition leader gets posessed, and wants gems, which I haven't got anywhere...

So yeah, just another day.

Edit: I managed to find some gems, JUST IN TIME. And I ended up with an artifact ring. Ah well.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 04:23:42 pm by Banehallow »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12031 on: March 31, 2011, 04:01:22 pm »

Uh-oh. Just got a double ambush on top of the elven caravan. Looks like 16 Sand Raiders and 7 Bugbears. The Raiders are exclusively mace wielders, the Bugbears all have spears. They killed the elves and a stray cat, but appear to be ignoring each other. The Greataxes have been issued to my Militia Commander's squad of four, and these few brave souls are waiting in the airlock for me to unpause and see how things turn out. Will edit with results.
E1: Looks like I somehow managed to close the outer bridge again. One axedwarf was flung into the air, two were stuck inside. Savescumming to fix. E2: Looks like it was actually 3 ambushes. Up to 16 SR and 12 Bugbear Pikemen. Also sending out my hammerdwarf militia captain. Results to follow. E3: Also a Bugbear crossbow user riding a Strider.

E4: Bwahahahaha! Massive abuse of the outer bridge in the airlock for great success! As the pit has not yet been dug, a potash maker pulling the lever on repeat managed to atom-smash 15 Sand Raiders and 10 Bugbears who were lured in by the open inner bridge. My axedwarves killed the one Sand Raider who managed to slip inside, and my Marksdwarf rushed over the rapidly moving bridge and quickly shot down two Bugbears. The final Bugbear ran away. Kills: 1 Sand Raider to one of my Axedwarves. 2 Bugbears to my Militia Commander. 25 kills to a lever-pulling potash maker.  :D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 04:29:18 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12032 on: March 31, 2011, 04:45:57 pm »

Built myself a crundle/trog disposal device (combat arena) I can pit targets from above and/or use a lever to open cages in the target's staging area; four little corridors behind a cobaltite drawbridge.
Testing it once cages and militia is in place.

That cave crawler HAS to go. There can be no excuses. It killed a dwarf and now I need that cage emptied, I can't just release it because it's a building destroyer. It will have to die. *Cave crawler roasts* for everyone!

One of the troops lost her entire left arm and ear early in the fight, but those were the only injuries. She survived while 'pale'. I'll have the hospital check her out and make some soap for the dwarves to clean themselves. Hopefully she won't get an infection.

Some item has suddenly become inaccessible, probably because of the fighting, but I don't understand what could have possibly been sealed off. Everything should be accessible. This spam is annoying.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 05:08:04 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Uberman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12033 on: March 31, 2011, 05:06:55 pm »

Trying to figure out what to do with a caged dragon. Thoughts?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12034 on: March 31, 2011, 05:10:49 pm »

If it can be tamed, do so. pet dragons are very valuable and just cool to have around. If it's female build a nest box and see if she'll lay eggs, and also wait for a male to come along and see if the eggs can be fertilized and produce dragon hatchlings! If male, keep and await female.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12035 on: March 31, 2011, 05:29:35 pm »

Got another migrant wave and really need to wall in wagon items. One of the migrants is a two year old with a beard. found out that the newly tame animals will be hostile in adventure mode so I have to cage them all before taking control or fiddle around Dfusion and see if I can get them to not murder folks like the other pack of creatures.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12036 on: March 31, 2011, 05:34:27 pm »

One of the migrants is a two year old with a beard.

All dwarves have hair. Even newborns.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Uberman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12037 on: March 31, 2011, 05:57:20 pm »

If it can be tamed, do so. pet dragons are very valuable and just cool to have around. If it's female build a nest box and see if she'll lay eggs, and also wait for a male to come along and see if the eggs can be fertilized and produce dragon hatchlings! If male, keep and await female.

I'd love to train it, but I'm unable to. I don't have a dungeon master, and when I changed the pet exotic tags to only pet, as per the wiki's suggestion, nothing changed.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12038 on: March 31, 2011, 06:01:27 pm »

Well, a recruit got both of his arms ripped off by a giant badger boar when he tried to stop them from going after some of my haulers. The marksdwarves were sent out and taught them the meaning of pain. Specifically, the definition related to "OhmaigawdIhavetwentymasterworkboltsstickingoutofmyhead".

Also, the pet extermination chamber dangerroom has been completed, and some other recruits are working on their abilities to avoid the unfortunate example of their compatriat.

3. Run Resize Enable

BurnCruise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12039 on: March 31, 2011, 06:07:57 pm »

Genned a new world to see if i could get a place with some metals and flux. Every single tile has an aquifer (exaggeration) while i only see 1 or 2 with flux stone. Thing is, i find flux even when the world thingy doesnt say there is.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12040 on: March 31, 2011, 06:21:08 pm »

Gah! Too much stuff to manage! I finally found which workshop my secretive mooded militia captain wanted, and I'm trying to deal with protecting simultaneous human and Silver Xelic caravans from an ambush of Bugbear Bowmen. I only have one trade depot; whoever survives gets to trade? My marksdwarves are already on the scene, and the militia commander's squad are picking up their greataxes and heading out... Let's cross our fingers, beardies. E1: Also, a Violet Xelic snatcher showed up, along with a goblin ambush. Time to pull everyone back into the keep... E2: Okay, this is just getting absurd. Both caravans are dead, and there are no less than four ambushes sitting outside my walls.

Enemy forces: Sand Raiders: 30 soldiers; hammermen and swordsmen. 2 local leaders, a Swordmaster and a Master lasher. 16 War Land Striders. All the bugbears are dead or fled now, as are the snatchers. So only 46 normal enemies with extra weapon penetration, along with two local leaders. My current available forces: 3 marksdwarves, 3 hammerdwarves, 4 axedwarves. I've got a few novice pikedwarves and a hammerdwarf sleeping down below. Gentledwarves, I believe it is time to reactivate the atom smasher defenses. E3: Guess what. 17 more War Land Striders just showed up. FUN. I LOVE THIS GAME. E4: Hah. Hah. Hah. Just as my marksdwarves on the walls started to hurt the Sand Raiders, six goblin crossbowmen showed up and started shooting them.  ::)

And now 15 more mounted Sand Raider pikemen just showed up. Current enemy count is at 98. I can't wait for the actual sieges.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 07:04:28 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12041 on: March 31, 2011, 07:10:40 pm »

It's only the second month in my new fort and a giant badger just killed my expedition leader while she was out gathering plants. First it bit her right arm off, then her left foot, and then her right foot. She punched it in the guts with her remaining hand, so the last thing she experienced before she bled to death was the badger vomiting all over her. And the number of vomiting messages makes me think of that scene in Team America.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12042 on: March 31, 2011, 07:11:03 pm »

Managed to atom-smash 5 of the gobbo crossbowmen, the 6th and a goblin lasher made it into the keep and were cut down. Meanwhile, my militia captain has completed Necikrimtar, The Singed Castle, a Sand Raider Bone Halberd worth 80400DB, decorated with horse bone and menacing with spikes of black diamond. It has pictures of dwarves founding my fort. Meanwhile, the Sand Raiders managed to rush my rapidly switching outer bridge and weigh it down. Seven, along with their mounts, made it inside and were cut down. Minimal injuries to my melee dwarves; I love greataxes! Currently attempting to seal some in the airlock as practice for the marksdwarves.

The enemy has been driven off. Only a single dwarf was lost, a rather foolish clothier with a fetish for socks. Image of the aftermath:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 07:34:39 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #12043 on: March 31, 2011, 07:20:32 pm »

Apparently, although beardies can wear both chain coifs and plate helms, both chain shirts and breastplates, triple-wield battleaxes, etc., they cannot wear both chain leggings and greaves. Because I have been trying to get Urist McStubbornAxedwarf to put on both pairs of pants for nearly an hour.

If you want to know what they can and can't wear, I'm fairly certain the Object Testing Arena can help - just go in there, throw all the items you want to test onto a dwarf, then spawn them. Any items that immediately appear on the ground instead of equipped can't be worn with everything else they have on. ^_^

You're correct, though - dwarves can't wear both chain leggings and greaves.

The really strange part is that they DID wear both in all of my .21-.23 forts... ???

That IS strange- according to the wiki leggings and greaves are both shaped items. Each body part can only support one shaped item- you also cannot wear leather armor and a breastplate at the same time. Or two breastplates, for that matter.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12044 on: March 31, 2011, 07:35:41 pm »

Well, that was fast. A frogman siege showed up, got splattered all over the brook, then immediately after the last third fled, a dark strangler siege appeared on the other side of the map.

EDIT: And then my fey miner made a limonite hatch cover.

EDIT2: And then a tigerman siege and a goblin ambush. I like this mod.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 07:41:51 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 801 802 [803] 804 805 ... 3842