Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Let's Play ADOM: Tower of Eternal Flames Round 2 Fight!  (Read 26218 times)

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play ADOM: Ye Art Doomed!
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2015, 06:15:32 pm »

Upon checking my information on death, it turns out I got cursed from drinking from a pool. Only got to drink once before it dried up and said I "felt threatened" so I guess that was the curse. Note to self, never drink from pools. The risk of cursing/dooming just doesn't seem worth it.

: (
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play ADOM: Urist Still Not Dead, Scientists Baffled
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2015, 09:21:49 pm »

Good start! Now drink from all the other pools, is not like you can get more cursed.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2015, 11:32:13 pm »

/\ +1
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2015, 12:36:58 am »

If Spehss_ does drink from all the pools, I'm gonna put fake money on them being permanently invisible as well. That should be fun.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2015, 01:09:37 am »

I'd advise against drinking from pools for now. Being doomed means that on the off-chance that you would encounter a wishing well, you won't get a wish.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2015, 09:34:11 am »

The answer is simple. We sacrifice to Armok lawful alters. We continue to do this until the curse is removed. Urist's god demands blood!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 01:09:37 pm by MDFification »

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2015, 10:05:16 am »

I'm torn between my desire for tiny fictional murderhobos to do well, and my desire for needless drama.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2015, 10:58:46 am »

A quick check on the ADOM wiki suggests you can indeed get even more doomed.

The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2015, 09:38:44 pm »

Right, when we last left Urist, he went and stuck his head in a bloody pool and got himself doomed. Literally bloody pool.

Our first priority is to get not-doomed again. Oh, sure, dooming adds difficulty and difficulty is fun, but if I want to be doomed for fun I'll make a character for it. I'd rather try and beat the game normally and see more of what ADOM has to offer than try to play handicapped with doom and die horribly.

So, the plan is to run like hell down to the nearest lawful altar in the Caverns of Chaos. Then maybe I'll try drinking from more pools. Aside from cursing or dooming, I don't think anything too terrible can happen. Also, note to self, don't drink from bloody pools. It's just a pool, and maybe I'm being paranoid, but I feel like a pool of blood would be more prone to bad things happening than, say, a white pool or a green pool.

The dive down to the altar on D:8 is fairly uneventful, considering we're doomed. Probably because we're really too overleveled to feel any challenge from "early game" content like the Caverns of Chaos before Dwarftown. I said fairly uneventful, but there were some things that could've gone wrong. There was a gelatinous cube in the cavernous level, and if I had tried to attack it and got paralyzed I wouldn't be surprised if I got stunlocked and surrounded by monsters and killed.

Crisis averted, and we're still alive. Dooming really seems the most dangerous in early game or in dangerous later game levels without an easy to reach altar. But in later game it's possible the player has gotten enough piety to pray as soon as they're doomed and get the doom lifted. So, doom seems the worst in the early game.

Now that we're undoomed, let's play "drink from the pool and pray we don't die horribly" game! *insert laughtrack cheers*
Spoiler: pool (click to show/hide)

Well that's one pool down. On the way to the next pool I get attacked by a master swordsman, who was standing to my northeast when this happened.

Huh. Didn't know they could do that. That could be really dangerous. Fortunately we kill him with our SPEAR OF DEVASTATION before he can poke us with the pointy armor-penetrating pointy-stick sword.

Time for the next game of pool!
Spoiler: pool (click to show/hide)

Well shit, I can see a pattern with this pool. would rather not keep falling in and lose my only warhammer to rust. Need that for smithing. Ok, time to stop playing pool and get on with the game.

I stop by dwarftown and buy some food stuff from the general store and get our next quest from Thrundarr. To advance the plot we have to go past the animated forest anyway, so that's cool. I would not recommend the dwarven halls unless you're feeling very confident or very bored and looking for fun. Fun in the Dwarf Fortress "losing is fun" sense.

Spoiler: thrundarr's quest (click to show/hide)

I also swing by Glod's place.

Uuuuuh. Never had this happen before. Right, well, Urist and Glod are smithbros now I guess. I go back to coldly demanding Glod repair my rusty items and move on. Not sure how a dwarf removes rust from an iron ingot but hey, dwarfs.

Back to dungeon diving! I'm getting kinda low on food stocks, but the ratling traders take a while to restock and I can't be arsed to wait around for them. If worse comes to worst I can dip my 13 cooked lizards into holy water and make them more nutritious and get more mileage out of them.

Uhhh. Speaking of lizards.

Yeah. Karmic lizards, in case anyone doesn't know, are a bad idea to kill with melee. Attacking one with melee makes you cursed and lowers your luck. In early game it's possible to have your run go to hell from attacking one of these things and causing a spiral of misfortune. Also, I'm a melee character. And have no wands to zap and kill 'em with. Hmm. Does cursing stack? I bet cursing stacks. Arg, I bet the stairs down are over there too.

Alright, I have a wand of digging. I close the door and head to another corner of the dungeon. We'll just dig ourselves a new way into that room.

Hmm. Not sure if I thought this through.

YEP. DIDN'T THINK THIS THROUGH. Well dang. Now what.

Oh, wait. I have a book of magic missile from which I learned the spell earlier. I have barely any casts from memory (20, that's almost nothing compared to wizards) but I do have the book. And I can cast from the book!

Well that worked. It takes two casts from the book to kill the two lizards on my right side. I'm not surrounded now, which is better.

Casting from books takes three times the time, three times the power, and doesn't train your efficiency in that spell. However, it won't destroy the book, and you can book cast as much as you want, unlike casting from memory which will eventually run out of spells. Because Urist ain't exactly the most spell adept character, a single cast drains his power points to 20/54, and the second bolt has to drain some health to pay for the spell, dropping his power points to 0/54 and his health to 144/164. I wouldn't recommend bookcasting combat spells like magic missile. it takes a bunch of time, and time in combat is important. Only reason I could do so here is because I have so much armor that the lizards can't hurt me, and I had no other choice, aside from sticking them with the pointy bit of my sword and cursing myself.

Ugh. Can't find the stairs for this floor. It's gotta be past the lizard room, but I don't have the gear to deal with that, and my food reserves are getting low. I'll come back. I guess for now I'll go back to the arena and wait for the ratlings to restock.

On the way up to the arena, I get these messages. My stats decreased. Pretty sure it was wisdom (soft hearted) and toughness (getting a cold). Bugger. Don't use your lifeforce in spells if you can help it, folks.

I think I'll end the update here. Here's a screenshot of the arena floor, if anyone who hasn't seen it is interested. Meant to include that in the first update I reached the arena in, but completely forgot to get the screenshot.
Spoiler: arena (click to show/hide)
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2015, 09:49:05 pm »

They multiply and drown, leaving behind loot.

If you're quick enough, you could farm loot by pickpocketing them before they die.
According to the wiki, gremlins no longer drop loot, but I know what you're talking about.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 21, 2015, 05:16:37 am »

Casting from books takes three times the time, three times the power, and doesn't train your efficiency in that spell. However, it won't destroy the book, and you can book cast as much as you want, unlike casting from memory which will eventually run out of spells.
All that time playing and i always assumed casting from books would end with it being destroyed after some use !

Thanks for mentionning that, i'll stop trying to learn the spells with my "your class nearly never find any spellbooks" characters (everything that is not wizard or necromancer i mean) and will use the books from then.
the book readers skill (that allow to cut the reading time for book casting) suddenly become much more attractive too.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 21, 2015, 07:22:01 am »

They multiply and drown, leaving behind loot.

If you're quick enough, you could farm loot by pickpocketing them before they die.
According to the wiki, gremlins no longer drop loot, but I know what you're talking about.

Judging by the fact that he's using classic graphics (I don't even know if you can turn the tileset off in the new version) I'd say he's still on the old version of ADOM.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2015, 07:55:55 am »

He's playing the new version, the old version doesn't have hitpoint bars over monsters. It's already been mentioned that you can swap between tiles and console-ish modes.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2015, 09:40:36 am »

Did some unrecorded playing since the last update. Lots of playing. Went by terinyo and learned swimming from Blub the baby water dragon by giving him 2 bottles of carrot juice. Went and scummed the Infinite Dungeon a bit looking for a waterproof blanket. Couldn't find it and got bored. Then I went and did something suicidal and tried to go back into the small cave at level 16 and try to find the waterproof blanket. Only reason I didn't die from hordes of insanely powerful monsters was becuase a white worm had multiplied and filled multiple rooms of the level, stopping other monsters from spawning. I took advantage of this and locked any dead end rooms so white worms could multiply and keep spawns down. I ALMOST found the blanket. But I couldn't wade through the unending flood of level 30 white worms. How many white worms were there? By the time I left I had killed a total of 200+ white worms according to the monster memory. It was an unending flood of worms.

So then I went and did some diving in the Caverns of Chaos. Made it through the enchanted forest. It was nothing special; if you are unfamiliar with the enchanted forest it's basically a huge cavernous room full of green P's. That's enchanted trees. It's a pain in the butt to get through due to the absolute tons of neutral trees wandering around the level, but at least most of them are neutral. I dived down deeper, found a forge, then went back up to dwarftown to get the next quest from Thrundarr and grab my anvil.

I found several more spellbooks, potions, and a blanket -this turned out to be waterproof- down in the caverns of chaos, so I read a blessed id scroll. I had 2 potions of learning, and two potions of boost learning, and a spellbook of Knock, Cure Light Wounds, and Farsight. Blessed all the spellbooks, drank the potions of learning for +2 Learning, drank the boost learning to boost my learning from 23 to 33, then read every spellbook I had.

Now we got some spell power. Magic missile should be useful. I should train that.

So now we're going to tackle the next quest. What noble task will Thrundarr give us next?

Oh. Slaughter a tribe of ogres living in some caves under Dwarftown. He's asking me to genocide every ogre in the cave. The men. The women. The ogre children. Good thing it's just ogres, it's totally fine to hate ogres, right? Whee, fantasy racism!

During our dive deeper into the caverns of chaos I found an eternium broadsword of hunting, which increases the chance of a creature dropping a corpse. This'll be great for the ogre cave. Eating ogre corpses has a chance of increasing strength.

Let the butchering begin! Your onion-like layers can't save you now, ogres!

It's all ogre now. Many dead ogres later, we complete the quest. Ogres at this point are incredibly easy to kill. Didn't get any strength from nomming ogre corpses, but oh well.

In return for genocide, Thrundarr pays Urist 5000 gold. These guys are dwarves alright, coldly ending greenskin lives just to make some cold hard cash.

Thrundarr's next quest is to go become champion of the arena. We could do that, but I think first I'll make a little side trip. We have a sword that penetrate armor and the know-how to use it. We have a shield, tons of armor, and a ring that grants total immunity to fire. We're going to raid Darkforge.

On the way out we get attacked by hostile blink dogs on the cavernous floor. I take advantage of my broadsword of hunting and get a blink dog corpse out of it. We now have teleport control....doing so also dropped our alignment from L+ to L. Hmm.

While wandering across the wilderness to reach darkforge, we encounter a giant boar! These guys are pretty rare! Let's kill it!

wow, this thing is fast.

Well, that was easy. Didn't drop anything though. Onwards to darkforge. Again.

We enter a nondescript tunnel south of the caverns of chaos. Somewhere in this winding tunnel is the entrance to darkforge and--oh hey found it.

There's always a steel golem guarding the entrance to Darkforge. These guys hit hard, can breathe fire, and have a whopping 35 PV (that's adom's stat for armor protection). Of course, PV means nothing to our rapier, soooo...

That was EASY. This'll be fun.

Next time: The Raid on Darkforge!

Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play ADOM: Operation Darkforge Looting
« Reply #89 on: May 21, 2015, 10:32:13 am »

When we last left Urist, he was about to dive into Darkforge to look for some sick loot.

Darkforge is a fixed layout dungeon full of steel monsters, mainly steel golems. The golems have been known to crit hard and resist lots of damage, but with our rapier of penetration they aren't as difficult as they could be.

Don't get too cocky though. One of the steel golems landed just one crit on me and took me from full 195 health to 70 health. Just one crit. And they tend to get crits. Play safe, fight them one on one and don't get surrounded. Back off when you need to heal, basically don't play dumb.

Once I've cleared the gauntlet of steel golems at the front of the level, I can explore a bit.

Oh hey, look, more pools.

I'm not gonna drink from those right now.

I wander around the level a bit. There's several rooms full of treasure: a room full of pools; a room full of gold; a room full of weapons; and a room full of armor.

Like some cruel joke, most of the armor is robes or clothes. There's some cool loot though. Don't think anything is better than my dragon scale mail.

There's some great weapons though.

check out that blessed eternium two handed sword of defense. Look at those damage dice. Look at it!

With darkforge cleared, we've opened a secret passage back into the caverns of chaos. With this we won't have to constantly go through the animated forest to try and get from the lower levels to dwarftown and back. We can't use it at the moment, sadly, but eventually we will.

Spoiler: darkforge map (click to show/hide)

Oh, also, all the steel golem killing brought our alignment back to L+. That's good. Dropping our alignment below L while crowned will piss our god off.

So now we have a conundrum. Before we can advance further in the plot, I'd like to get an amulet of life saving. There's several ways to do this right now.
1: Drink from pools and pray to the rng that we get a wish.
2: Scum for it in the infinite dungeon.
3: Forget about an amulet of life saving and dive deeper anyway. We don't NEED it, but we can get some more good loot from it, and I like loot.

Next time: Stuff happens.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9