Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Let's Play ADOM: Tower of Eternal Flames Round 2 Fight!  (Read 26217 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play ADOM: Abandon All Hope, Ye Who Enter Here!
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2015, 11:30:58 am »

Note that you got fairly lucky with that hill giant quest. It's entirely random what he picks. Coulda been a giant boar...
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2015, 11:40:30 am »

Note that you got fairly lucky with that hill giant quest. It's entirely random what he picks. Coulda been a giant boar...
I think it's been changed recently, seems like most of the time I get to this point Thrundarr picks a cave man.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2015, 09:02:04 pm »

Well them. After genning a new DE priest (who, interestingly enough, started with precise 0 useful spells except Bless) I was briefly inspired to savescum. What I did was save before each floor, so it'd generate a new floor each time. So it wasn't so much 'can I be prepared for it' as it was 'how long does it take for the RNG to be kind to me?'.

The answer, of course, is 23 savescums to get the HMV. Almost all of which can be blamed on Gnolls. Fucking Gnolls. Why are they so OP for low-level PCs. I mean, goddamn. I'm using an mithril halberd. It's one of the highest damage-output base weapon classes, plus gives you the second-most DV of any 2hander. I still got creamed by multiple Gnoll swarms that decided to spawn.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile

When we last left our hero, Urist was doing a bunch of side errands.

Spoiler: sidenotes (click to show/hide)

I head back to dwarftown with my spoils and buy the eternium rapier of penetration while I'm there. Penetration ignores armor, which could be an extremely useful item to have for a melee character. I equip the rapier so I can train my sword skill, then it's off to the dwarven graveyard! The dwarven graveyard is down in the southeastern corner of the overworld, in the swamps at the south end of the river. The graveyard is absolutely full of undead. I mean FULL of undead. It's really easy to get surrounded, squishy characters be warned.

As I wade through the swarms of undead, one of the wights (basically a stronger zombie) drops a corpse. Eating a wight corpse increases your toughness, supposedly because "consuming the cold, long-dead flesh makes you shudder and revitalizes you." But it also is a chaotic act and affects your alignment. Don't go chowing down on every undead corpse you find unless you either want to be chaotic or have ways to counteract the alignment penalty. I picked up an amulet of order from the sheriff of Terinyo, which raises my alignment to lawful over time. So that helps. And I'd rather have a point of toughness than some lawful alignment right now. The single point increase in toughness raised my health pool from 139 to 154. 15 hp, not bad. Bound to be worth more hp the more I level.

Spoiler: zombies (click to show/hide)
See what I mean about being full of undead? Those are zombies, skeletons, ghuls, shadows, and wights.

Spoiler: more zombies! (click to show/hide)
It's basically a sea of bones and rotten flesh as far as the eye can see. It's not too bad though, there's generally some good loot drops. Urist picked up a mithril plate mail, a crystal small shield (junk 'cause we can't melt that), and a couple adamantium girdles. Also found some large food rations. Kinda good, I'm lower on food stocks than I'd like to be.

Spoiler: graveyard map (click to show/hide)

Here's the completely explored graveyard. But wait, where's the necromancer we came here to kill? He's where evil always is, in the deepest part of the level! Onwards, I mean, downwards!

Right, graveyard floor 2. Evil chuckling must mean there's an evil dude who needs to get his necromantic head curbstomped. But what's this? There's no passageway, just a dead end! You have to search for the way to the necromancer Nonnak's lair. Literally, you have to hit the s key and search. Nonnak's gone and been a right evil bastard and laid all manner of traps for us to blunder through. Jokes on him, we're a dwarf and start with the detect traps skill. We can cautiously make our way through the maze while constantly hitting (a)->(f)->(arrow key).

See? Traps. That fireball trap mentioned in the message log is nasty. It can deal some big damage if you have no fire resistance, AND it could destroy your equipment. Damage+item destruction is the worst kind of trap, and many traps are capable of that. Acid, fireballs, landmines, trick doors, booby trapped doors, explosive rune doors, never trust locked doors. Also don't trust walls, Nonnak seems to have enchanted the very stones of the tomb so that if I try to walk into a wall I bonk my head into it. His evil must be stopped.

Eventually we near Nonnak's lair. You'll know when you're getting close when the HORDES OF UNDEAD stream down the 1 tile wide corridor towards you. In this screenshot you can also get an idea of what the map for this floor is like. Trap locations are random, but you can expect a bunch of them. Brown ^ means pits, green ^ is acid traps, red ^ is fireballs, blue ^ is water, lots of nasty stuff you'd hate to run into.

While killing undead that Nonnak summoned, I pick up loot they drop. Eh, nothing good, just some potions, some bones blah blah woah

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh my syrupy sweet baby blue dragon Jesus. Did I get the treasure hunter perk without noticing? I seem to be finding some good loot from the most mundane kills. I've never found dragon scale armor in ADOM. I quickly back away from the undead horde and check out my sweet loot.

So, we have some options. I like my good old elven chain mail for how light it is and how it has no penalties. I like the mithril armor because I could improve it with mithril ingots. I like the blue dragon scale mail because it weighs even less than the mithril plate armor, provides 3 more armor for less penalties than the mithril plate armor, AND it provides cold resistance. Nonnak blasts you with cold spells, fyi.

I think I'll slap on that dragon scale mail for now. I'd kill for a girdle of carrying right now. They double the amount of weight you can carry, and weaponsmiths tend to carry a ton of junk to melt down. And being burdened or strained hinders our speed and and increases our metabolism, and I don't exactly have a ton of food on me. 32 fried bats (junk, but better than running out of lizards) and 13 cooked lizards.

Here's our equipment before we take on Nonnak.

Next time: We kill a necromancer! Probably. This game IS a roguelike, after all.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 01:03:42 pm by Spehss _ »
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play ADOM: Actually less cold resist than I expected.
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2015, 01:06:04 pm »

Blue dragon scale mail grants shock immunity, not cold resistance. If you're worried about cold damage you could easily roll the pyramid if you had wands of fire.

Pyramid's only open until level 16 though, so if you want to do it you better do it now.

Since you're wearing the amulet of order you're probably going for the gate-destruction victory goal.  Since you reached Dwarftown, you probably picked up the Si.  With easy access to an altar and a near infinite amount of fodder you may as well push for a precrowning before you level any higher and generate more artifacts. My first weaponsmith got a ring of immunity and was set for the game.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 01:10:30 pm by Blaze »

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play ADOM: Actually less cold resist than I expected.
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2015, 01:23:14 pm »

I think you might want white dragon mail for cold resistance. :)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play ADOM: Urist Still Not Dead, Scientists Baffled
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2015, 02:08:39 pm »

Last time on Dragon Ball Z Let's Play ADOM, Urist got indoctrinated into the Super Secret Knights of the Blue Dragon Cult. Except not really. He does have a killer wardrobe of matching blue dragon scale armor and blue dragonskin gauntlets. Crazy what loot some undead corpses can drop. In other news I found out after a trip to the adom wiki that blue dragon scale armor and gauntlets don't grant cold resistance, they grant electric resistance. Whoops. Good thing Nonnak uses lightning spells haha no he uses cold spells. Good thing we have a ring of resist cold.

So anyway, meet Nonnak!

This guy is the source of all the undead. He can cast cold spells. He can also regenerate wounds. He can ALSO summon lots of undead to mob you. And he also isn't a slouch when it comes to fistfights. I've lost plenty of good characters to Nonnak. Get cold resistance.

I poke at Nonnak a bit with my rapier. It turns out Nonnak doesn't have any armor, what with him being a wizard and all. This means my rapier is not very useful. Why use a 2d6 rapier when I can use a 5d8 SPEAR OF DEVASTATION!

"Ha ha, get wrecked, necromantic scum! Justice for all the disturbed dead!" boasts Urist as he drives his mighty spear through Nonnak's face. He feels as though by turning Nonnak's face into a fine pink mist Urist has done a truly lawful deed.

No, really, our alignment jumped up to L+ from killing Nonnak. Now we can be crowned. Or precrowned. Yeehaw. We aren't done yet here. There's still undead to be purged and a grave to be purified.

Oh, speak of the devil, here's the grave now.

This is the champion of dwarftown, Grif Bloodaxe. He's been reanimated into an undead slave by Nonnak and corrupted by chaos. Unlike his squishy master, Bloodaxe has high armor, lots of health, and hits hard and hits fast. And he's kinda quick for a dead guy. Most players don't want to take this guy on in melee if they can help it. Especially not with Nonnak there to back him up and blast cold spells.

Oh, right, we got crazy defense. Ha, ha, ha, oh man, free experience. A few stabs with our rapier and Grif goes down. We got a whopping 9186 experience from that. Nonnak was worth 5000 exp.

But wait, we're not done yet! Grif Bloodaxe has been made re-dead, er, put to rest, but what about his defiled grave? Thrundarr gave us a bottle of holy water.

There we go, that ought to do it. Standing on the grave in the middle of Nonnak's enclave and "U"sing holy water will cause you to sprinkle it on the grave.

Also, there's some secret treasure here in Nonnak's lair. There's a hidden chamber containing the elemental gauntlets, a guaranteed artifact that grants resistance to all elements. More resistance is always great to have.

Oh, it also has this big guy. The bone golem has high armor and can be dangerous. He has the same amount of armor as Grif, but where Grif hits several times at once, the bone golem hits once, and hits hard. We got a rapier that pierces all armor though, and more than enough hp to spare against one bag of bones. En guarde, bone golem!

Haha, yes. Loot! Experience! Haha! The bone golem was worth 2500 experience. For reference, the zombies we were wading through were averaging 90 exp a pop.

So anyway, I loot the elemental gauntlets and high tail it back to dwarftown. We're done at the graveyard. Good profitable adventure, got some dope loot, got more exp, got some great loot, did I mention all the good loot we have?

Next time: Deeper into the Caverns of Chaos!

« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 02:12:04 pm by Spehss _ »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2015, 02:18:15 pm »

Well, on the way back out of the graveyard I apparently failed my roll to sidestep a water trap I had already discovered. "A gush of water suddenly falls on you!" I lost 14 scrolls from 1 water trap, including some blessed scrolls of identify, blessed remove curse, and increase melee damage. Man.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2015, 02:51:45 pm »

So, I've been cruising around the wiki, and I have a question. What happens if you bring a fluff ball to Water Dragon Cave?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2015, 03:14:14 pm »

They multiply and drown, leaving behind loot.

If you're quick enough, you could farm loot by pickpocketing them before they die.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2015, 03:31:00 pm »

When we last left our hero, Urist was on his way back to Dwarftown. He stopped by the lawful altar on D:8 to make some more sacrifices. Several orcs, giant rats, giant bats, and other dungeon fodder later, and...

Oh. Ohhhhh man. If this is what I think it is...

I hightail it back to Thrundarr in Dwarftown to report our success. Oh, by the way, we killed two hill giants on the way down here.

I loot the loot Thrundarr dropped at our feet, then report our success at murdering innocent hill giants.

Oh. Ok. Uh, thanks Thrundarr. I was expecting you'd tell us what all our items did, but, uh, I guess a potion is cool too. The potion is a potion of literacy, one of the only a ways an illiterate character can learn to read. We already were literate, but drinking the potion should raise our literacy skill some. Would've preferred Thrundarr id'ing all our items.

Whatever, I dip a heap of 2 identify scrolls in a bottle of holy water and read the scroll (we got one scroll left but at least it's blessed) and now we can check our rings and see...

Well. GG ADOM, was a fun game. Just give me my win now.

Ring of immunity grants immunity to all elements. This is huuuuuuuuuge. We can still die, or lose equipment to fire or water or acid, but we have the resistance meta-game covered at least. I feel good about our chances of winning.

So now that I have all that, I go and start drinking from pools. I head up to the first floor of the Caverns of Chaos, where the first pool is. it's a bloody pool. Can't be that bad, right?

Well shit. I just got doomed. From the first sip of a pool. Why am I not surprised.

Drink from the pools they said. What can go wrong they said.

This. This is what goes wrong. Pools, not even once.

Next time: Doom

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2015, 03:36:38 pm »

Look on the bright side. If you get doomed again, situation won't get any worse.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2015, 03:38:52 pm »

Goddamnit Urist. Couldn't help but go for that sock pool, could you?

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2015, 04:07:33 pm »

Is there any possible way to un-doom-ify yourself?
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2015, 04:09:36 pm »

Ones I can think of off the top of my head are eating karmic corpses and spamming your god with sacrifices.

Don't forget to add that the ring of immunity also gives +5 DV/PV.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9