Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Let's Play ADOM: Tower of Eternal Flames Round 2 Fight!  (Read 26191 times)

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play ADOM: Operation Darkforge Looting
« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2015, 12:02:34 pm »

Pools are probably the fastest way to get a wish. An alternative, since you have a fair bank of lawful alignment, is to dig up some "great treasure" graves.

Edit: Since you now have teleport control, find a ? or \ of teleportation and teleport into the 2x2 building in Dwarftown.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 12:09:51 pm by Blaze »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2015, 12:15:35 pm »

Ahh, ADOM.  My first real roguelike love.  Let me add Hurthling Beastfighter to the suggestion list, since that fellow got me my single win.

Anyway, IMO for right now...

Spoiler: A bit spoily (click to show/hide)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2015, 02:35:22 pm »

Spoiler: A bit spoily (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: response (click to show/hide)
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 21, 2015, 02:51:08 pm »

Spoiler: Response response (click to show/hide)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 21, 2015, 03:12:18 pm »

I really wish there were rooms you could guarantee nobody but you would go into at points around the game. Even if you had to pay someone to hold onto your gear for you, it'd be great to be able to stash something in a safe area without worrying that some random NPC will pick it up and you'll have to kill them (potentially making the entire village hostile and screwing up your alignment) to get it back.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 21, 2015, 03:18:03 pm »

There's a couple options.

1) The Ogre Cave.  I'm pretty sure monster generation in here is either nil or near zero.  Villagers can follow you down, sure, but non-lawfuls can just... remove that problem.  As a bonus, corruption here is zero if the village spawns at COC:9.

2) A locked room.  If you have the right key, you can just lock and unlock the door as you use it.  Ideal on levels where you either don't visit much or pass through quickly.

3) Any overworld level you don't spend much time in.  Barb clearing, Unicorn glade, Minstrel, etc.  Same idea as #1, but not quite.

4) A Strength of Atlas spellbook.  Book cast it a lot.  Not quite the same thing, but you can get a pretty dang high capacity.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play ADOM: Wishes, Water, and Grave Robbing
« Reply #96 on: May 21, 2015, 03:41:23 pm »

After clearing the darkforge, Urist had a strong desire to find an amulet of life saving. He has several ways to do this, play the pool game, go root around in th einfinite dungeon, dip some amulets into the 2 potions of exchange he has, use the artifact scythe Moon Sickle to make some potions of raw chaos and dip amulets into the raw chaos, or digging up graves.

Because we have such an abundance of pools in the Caverns of Chaos, I go and give pool drinking another shot. Starting with the bloody pool that doomed us earlier, we don't get much. Temporary invisibility, snakes, death ray resistance, snakes, lost death ray resistance, snakes, pool dries up.

Next pool! Silvery pool. Snakes.

Woah. Never got this before.

Pray to the rng that we're doing this right and not wasting a wish...

AAAAAW YISS. This'll be very useful.

I've found why people like pools. Wishes. Gotta get wishes. Gotta drink from all the pools, gotta get all the wishes.

Sadly I get no more wishes from the pools in the caverns of chaos. I could go back to Darkforge and try some more, but we'll be going back up there anyway.

For now I dive back into the caverns of chaos. I stop by the forge I found on D:15, lock the doors, and start melting down various metal junk I got. I use some iron ingots to improve a diadem of beauty I had found to +6+0 and wear that. The bonus to appearance should help ward off corruption. I also play some polymorphing games and use the 3 potions of exchange. I dip the exchange potions into holy water, then dip items into the blessed potions of exchange. I turn some brass bracers into cursed bone bracers of toughness, which I equip, then polymorph two useless rings of searching into a ring of clear mind and an unidentified ring. Then I dip a tower shield into the last potion of exchange, hoping for something awesome like an eternium tower shield. I get a rusty iron medium shield. Junk. Oh well.

With all that done, I unlock and open the door. Keys are really useful for keeping monsters away.

Anyway, on D:16 we find Khalavaster. He's the guy who predicted all this chaos stuff. He's a big plot point. He was surrounded and being attacked by chaos servants when we found him, and it seems he's been wounded beyond hope.

Spoiler: see for yourself (click to show/hide)

Oh, wait, we have an amulet of LIFE-SAVING! Khalavaster takes the amulet of life saving we give him and puts it on, saving him from certain death. Khalavaster tells us the way to close the gate of Chaos, by retrieving the 5 Elemental Orbs from their corrupted temples and using them to reseal the gate.

Also he gives us loot, including a spellbook of Identify. I quickly go find a safe room to lock the door and learn the identify spell. And holy shit it takes 75 pp. I was gonna book cast it but jeez, that'd be 225 pp, and I only have 54 pp max. Good thing we have one last scroll of blessed identify. The other loot Khalavaster gave us includes a blessed spellbook of Teleport, an eternium dagger, 6 scrolls of Corruption Removal, and more blessed healing potions. That ring we polymorphed earlier turns out to be a ring of minor elemental mastery. Was hoping it was djinni summoning.

Next thing I do is learn the Teleportation spell. Takes a few tries but I get it. Costs 45 pp, that's more reasonable. Still costly, but at least we can afford that. I unlock the door, blast the miscellaneous beasties gathered in the outside corridor with magic missile to train the spell some more, then dive deeper.

We've entered the graveyard. The graveyard, as you may tell by the name, is full of undead, and graves. What do we like about undead? Wight and wraith corpses raise toughness! Bring out that eternium broadsword of hunting, Urist, it's chow time!

I wade through the narrow corridors full of undead, managing to loot a wight corpse and 2 wraith corpses that raise my toughness from 25 to 27. Woo! soon we reach the main room, the graveyard.

The main room of the graveyard is full of undead, particularly liches, mummies, and vampires. Vampires can drain strength and toughness if they damage you, and liches can cast glowing fireballs, heal themselves, and confuse you. None of these guys are that much of a thread, due to our really high armor and the ring of immunity and the ring of mental stability I have equipped. I clear the graveyard with little issue, find another corpse to raise my toughness, but lose a point of strength to a critical hit from a spectre.
Spoiler: graveyard map (click to show/hide)

Having cleared the level, I start feeling cocky again. I try something I haven't done before: dig up graves with treasures. These are graves that say "Great treasures are buried here!" and digging them up is sure to trigger some kind of greater lich. We get a master lich.

It doesn't put up too much of a fight. It does summon some wraiths. Those wraiths drop 1 wraith corpse. That corpse did not raise our Toughness.:C

Spoiler: loot! (click to show/hide)

The grave doesn't have anything too great. The ring may be good. The swords don't seem good, judging by the weight. The scroll may be good, and the water is always welcome. Gotta have holy water.

Time to dig up the other grave! What can go wrong? Death rays? what's that?

Nothing goes wrong! We dig up another master lich, kill it, and loot the grave. Sweet sweet loot.

Spoiler: lewt! (click to show/hide)

There's a boomerang, some more blankets, cure poison potion, food, and gold. Also the cloak turns out to be a cloak of protection[+0+3PV]. Aaaaw yeah.

On the next floor we find a neutral altar, which we convert to lawful by sacrificing 5 sis. Praise Morodwyn!

I go and sacrifice various creatures to Morodwyn for a while to get my piety back up. During that time I get my first corruption. I sweat blood, causing me -2 Charisma, -4 Appearance, and +5 speed. The speed is nice, but the drop in appearance means we'll be more prone to corruptions in the future. I think I'll move on rather than try for postcrowning.

On D:19 we reach the water temple. Water constantly drips from the ceiling. This is the first temple which Khalavaster was talking about. To get to the temple you need to dig into the left center half of the map. Hope you found a pick-axe or a wand of digging! I got several pick axes from dwarven chaos knights.

Then you need to swim across to the water temple. Hope you know how to swim and got a waterproof blanket.

Then you need to kill this thing. The snake from Beyond. Boss fight time.

Stick it with the pointy end of your sword, Urist!

...Bah, I poke it a couple times and the blasted thing panics and flees back into the temple.

I kill some water grues and water snakes and wait for it to come back, then continue sticking it to death. My armor is so high (39 PV) that it failed to hurt me even once. This bodes well for how good Urist's chances of living are. I loot the Elemental Orb of Water and the Snake from Beyond's corpse and leave.

Next time: Tower of Eternal Flames!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 21, 2015, 05:57:14 pm »

What are the corruptions your character gained so far ?
Do you have some useful ones ?

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 21, 2015, 06:16:39 pm »

First corruption made me sweat blood. Causes -2 Charisma, -4 Appearance, and +5 speed.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 21, 2015, 06:29:07 pm »

Well, it could have been worse, at least having some more speed always help.

In the Adom revival , Appearance has been given some use (while it was near-useless stat before the Adom revival only good for getting lower price in shops if you played a female character).
Now depending on how high or low it is , it oddly increase or lower your corruption tolerance what i have read, so high appearance will have you getting new corruptions much less often, while low appearance will do the opposite.

It's unfortunate that most of the corruptions gives an Appearance malus, as it lower that resistance to corruption , making it so your character will gain new ones quicker, and the lower depth you travel in the Cavern of Chaos, the more background corruption there is.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play ADOM: Tower of Eternal Flames+Tomb of High Kings
« Reply #100 on: May 21, 2015, 08:58:21 pm »

Urist's next objective is the Tower of Eternal Flames. I head to the peaceful clearing and use it to stash various equipment I don't want to take with me into the Tower.

Of special note is the ring I found back in the water temple. It's a ring of djinni summoning. I wish for spellbooks of frost bolt. The spell could be useful in the Tower for killing things, and if anything else I can use the spell to get to the Ring of the High King later.

Now we're gonna climb the Tower. I've never gotten this far before. The first few floors of the tower are pretty threatening. The constant messages of resisting the flames and my equipment being protected by my blessed ring of ice is nervewracking to see. Every time I half expect to read that either the fireproof blanket or the ring of ice is destroyed. There's a few tension floors on the first couple levels but I teleport the hell away from them. I'm basically rushing to find the stairs at all times.

At TF:4 things get even more intense. The floor and walls of the Tower are shimmering from the heat.

Spoiler: gif (click to show/hide)

As you can see in that gif, I find a tension room first thing on TF:4. I pretty much blast the room with frost bolts until everything stops moving. Fire giants and fire giant kings are proving to be pretty threatening dudes. Frost bolt is saving my ass here, it was a wish well spent.

I use one of my wands of digging to dig towards the temple. Made it this far without losing the ring of ice or the two fireproof blankets, going well so far.

Oh hey, found the temple.

Killing the fire elementals takes a while. It's hard to hit them with my sword, and although frost bolt is quite good at killing them, it generally takes several bolts to kill one. Fortunately it's easy enough to hit a bunch of them at once considering the way they're clustered around me. One of them crit me and knocked me from 200 hp to 90 hp. Hoo boy, I chugged a blessed potion of extra healing immediately.

Oh dear Morodwyn there's more. I kill...it seems like I kill tons of them but it might be because they're actually challenging to kill, so it seems like it takes forever. Eventually I'm forced to back off due to getting low on healing potions and frost bolt casts. I definitely made some headway though. I'll go grab some more gear, then I think I'll try and run the High King's Tomb for loot and come back to the Tower later.

Here's the location of the Tomb of the High Kings on the map. Took me a bit to find it.
Spoiler: location (click to show/hide)

The Tomb of the High Kings seems to be 5 levels of dungeon before the 6th level, the actual tomb. 2 of those levels are standard dungeons with rooms and corridors. 3 of those floors are cavernous rooms.

Here's the 6th floor, the Tomb. The big red pool in the center is water full of man-eating fish. Don't fall in. Don't swim in it. This is why I wanted some way of casting frost bolt, with it I can make a bridge of ice across. Good thing I wished for it, I still haven't found any frost bolt wands. did find a crystal tower shield during the dive down here, hellooooo new shield.

Once I finish casting the bridge of ice across the water, I cast knock to unlock the door and come face to face with the undead High King himself.

Spoiler: skeleton king (click to show/hide)

The skeletal king is really a pushover after the horrors we faced in the Tower of Eternal Flames. He goes down to our sword quickly. 10500 experience for me, and now we have the Ring of the High Kings.

Oh man. Look what I found while exploring the 5 floor of the Tomb.
Spoiler: WISH WISH WISH (click to show/hide)
This could will be the third wish this game. Woop woop. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all for it. I'm leaning towards a girdle of giant strength. A run in with a statue left my strength and toughness lowered between 4-6 points, and I'm feeling the strength loss. Seeing how we're a melee dude, the +12 strength would be a good help.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 21, 2015, 09:32:52 pm »

Really too bad the Djinni aren't traditional, three wishes a pop would be pretty awesome.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 21, 2015, 10:23:55 pm »

I heard that a blessed girdle of greed can get you some insane carrying capacity. How much money do you have?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 22, 2015, 02:56:33 pm »

Really too bad the Djinni aren't traditional, three wishes a pop would be pretty awesome.

http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/Wish_engine

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 22, 2015, 03:05:01 pm »

Oh dear Armok. Well, that's an entirely necessary component of gameplay.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9