Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Let's Play ADOM: Tower of Eternal Flames Round 2 Fight!  (Read 26213 times)

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play ADOM: Ye Art Doomed!
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2015, 09:57:24 am »

Can you tell us the bonuses for each race?

I vote for a [whatever race has the highest Int] male wizard.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2015, 01:01:56 pm »

There is no specific "intelligence" stat. Learning helps with getting spells from books(probably other sources, I don't really know), Willpower at least affects the size of ball spells and most likely other things, and I don't really know what Mana really effects.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2015, 02:12:39 pm »

In that case, I vote for a male dwarf wizard (specializes in casting from his hitpoints (yes, I know it reduces your stats), take regen and health talents) named Nova, a male gnome (or dwarf, if you save-scum to get gemology) bard named Diggums (invests in gemology and tames digging creatures to mine for him), and a male gnome necromancer that collects as many beneficial corruptions as safely possible (use a wand of wonder and keep a forehead-mouth if you find either of them) with chaotic tendencies named Malabus.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 09:42:43 am by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2015, 04:33:37 pm »

If you wish to play with a spellcaster, i advice looking for wizard or necromancer and ignore elementalists, unless you want a very difficult time starting at +/- midgame in case things are not challenging enough by then.

while the elementalist pro sounds nice and will carry the character easily in early game :
- elementalist learn quicker in the game some good elemental spell.
- elementalist restock a bit their elemental spell stocks when leveling up

the elementalist cons are really very bad because once early game is over, your chance to survive will start to get very low :
- they find spellbooks a very lot more extremely rarely than wizard and necromancer, so while early game you'll spam spells and regen their stock easy when leveling up at some point it will take long time to gain a single level, and so you will run out of spell stock very fast (couple with many more monsters later will have good resistant to your elemental spells anyways) due to not finding books and not regen-ing spell stock due to lack of fast level up
- their weapon mark gain is much slower than anyone else, so hoping to get some good weapon skill to counterbalance the depleted spell stock problem that will probably kill your character mid-game will not really work, but in the same time you'll need to train you weapon skill to avoid being a sitting duck with no spell stock mid-game, so prepare for grinding.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2015, 08:06:39 pm »

If you wish to play with a spellcaster, i advice looking for wizard or necromancer and ignore elementalists, unless you want a very difficult time starting at +/- midgame in case things are not challenging enough by then.

while the elementalist pro sounds nice and will carry the character easily in early game :
- elementalist learn quicker in the game some good elemental spell.
- elementalist restock a bit their elemental spell stocks when leveling up

the elementalist cons are really very bad because once early game is over, your chance to survive will start to get very low :
- they find spellbooks a very lot more extremely rarely than wizard and necromancer, so while early game you'll spam spells and regen their stock easy when leveling up at some point it will take long time to gain a single level, and so you will run out of spell stock very fast (couple with many more monsters later will have good resistant to your elemental spells anyways) due to not finding books and not regen-ing spell stock due to lack of fast level up
- their weapon mark gain is much slower than anyone else, so hoping to get some good weapon skill to counterbalance the depleted spell stock problem that will probably kill your character mid-game will not really work, but in the same time you'll need to train you weapon skill to avoid being a sitting duck with no spell stock mid-game, so prepare for grinding.
Mm. Do you have any suggestions on how to make the character concept work?

Edit: A dwarf might work. I've edited my original post.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 09:41:12 am by ATHATH »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2015, 11:02:40 pm »

Alright, we're back.

We need healing. I could try and raise my alignment up...but I'm losing patience and think I'll go with the chaotic option.

Hotzenplotz the evil crime lord gives us some quests. If we kill Jharod the healer we can "learn" healing from the chaotic mad doctor.

On the way down to off Jharod I sacrifice a large bat to that lawful altar I found to convert it to chaotic. In reality, this converts the altar to neutral, raises my alignment to nuetral chaotic, and makes me a worshipper of the neutral troll god Ne'ftrr.

Apparently neutral chaotic (NC) is enough to learn healing from Jharod. So that worked out. I could kill Jharod now to bring myself back to chaotic, but I don't know if I want to roll chaotic or neutal. As chaotic I won't be able to use the altar in dwarftown, which is basically the hub of the game and the most accessible altar. On the other hand, chaotics have no problem with sacrificing every living thing they find in order to be crowned. AnD cHaOs Is tOtEs fUn. If I find a random chaotic altar I'll probably convert back.

Onwards to the small cave and beyond!

Rushing through the small cave, we find the blanket quickly, as well as some nice loot, including a cloak, a shield, a scythe (polearm training ahoy), some boots, and a bunch of corpses to eat. Now we need to find the downstairs...

But we take a wrong turn, find ourselves in a dead end, and get caught in a corridor with a ghul. Ghuls can paralyze on contact, dont'cha know.

Well now we definitely know, and knowing is half the battle. The other half has been paralyzed and killed while stunlocked.

Next time: WeLCoMe to ChAoS! AnD WeIRd CapItALiZaTIon!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2015, 11:13:14 am »

Diggums didn't get accepted? If only one of my characters is accepted, I want it to be him.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2015, 11:53:46 am »

I skimmed the thread before updating and missed reading your posts. My bad. I'll do the dwarf wizard since I haven't tried any casters yet in this LP, and also the gnome bard.
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2015, 03:04:19 pm »

I blame you for getting me back into this game Spehss_

Though man does your luck seem pretty terribad so far. Looking forward to seeing how badly the Chaos Knight turns out. Though I hope we don't get the switching case sentence the entire time... that's going to be a pain to read.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2015, 06:30:42 pm »

I blame you for getting me back into this game Spehss_

Though man does your luck seem pretty terribad so far. Looking forward to seeing how badly the Chaos Knight turns out. Though I hope we don't get the switching case sentence the entire time... that's going to be a pain to read.
No, his luck isn't bad, the unremarkable dungeon is just really, really hard. Even as a wizard (one shot almost anything with no miss chance in the early game), I've only gotten around halfway through. Adding to the difficulty, the first level (called small cave) has enemies that are always twice your level, which means you can't go there at a high level later.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2015, 07:03:18 pm »

I've made it through the UD before. Currently finished the Pyramid with a level 16 high elf fighter. I doubt I'll get an ultra ending, but I've been looking around for an amulet of life saving at the moment.

But yeah, mostly surprised none of his characters have made it to the caverns of chaos yet, heh.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2015, 07:08:20 pm »

Furthest I've gotten is clearing the Water Temple. Obviously when I decide to make an LP of ADOM my characters' lifespans all plummet dramatically.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2015, 01:51:23 pm »

I've made it through the UD before. Currently finished the Pyramid with a level 16 high elf fighter. I doubt I'll get an ultra ending, but I've been looking around for an amulet of life saving at the moment.

But yeah, mostly surprised none of his characters have made it to the caverns of chaos yet, heh.
TEACH ME THE SECRETS OF SURVIVAL!

Also, please have Diggums made under a relevant-to-his-role sign.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2015, 04:07:19 pm »

Right, I know I said in the last update we'd be running a mist elf chaos knight. Change of plans, I feel like trying a dwarf weaponsmith.
Spoiler: starsign and backstory (click to show/hide)
Candle is always a good starsign.

For starting talents I take porter for 10% more carrying capacity and healthy for 20% faster health regen. I always take healthy, and porter will be useful for carrying our heavy-ass anvil that weaponsmiths always start with. Can't smith without an anvil.

I name our weaponsmith "Sarvesh", a good dwarfy name from Dwarf Fortress. Sarvesh is the dwarven word for furnace in Dwarf Fortress, so that's fitting.
Spoiler: stats (click to show/hide)
We have some well rounded stats. We aren't the monster beefcake of strength and meat that is a troll barbarian, but at least we can read and we could possibly learn some spells if we find them.
Spoiler: inventory (click to show/hide)
Here's our starting equipment. Pretty meh, aside from that sweet ring of fire reistance. Warhammers in my experience are a lack luster weapon unless you find something with good bonuses. We need some kind of hammer for smithing though, so I'll hold onto one of them. Note our anvil that weighs 1000 stones. It's most of our weight. I'll probably run through the small cave and see if I can find a shield, some armor, and a better weapon before heading for the Caves of Chaos.

I, uh, forgot to take a screenshot of our skills at the start. this is our skills at level 8, the end of the update. We have athletics at least. Good for melee characters. We're barely literate though, heh. We started with 8 in literacy.

Anyway, before running the small cave and probably dying, first we need to complete a quest in Terinyo and get a skill. We can choose between the druid's quest for herbalism or the elder's quest for healing. Healing is a great choice, but herbalism is also good because herbs can give a variety of utilities and bonuses. It's a hard choice, but I think I'll go with healing. We can always pick herbs and id them later by eating them, and we can dip any good ones we find in holy water to overcome the inherent cursed status of herbs gathered without high herbalism skill.

Sarvesh treks down to Terinyo and gets the village elder's quest, and also buys 2 large rations from the food shop. I was planning on stashing my anvil in Terinyo while I go do the elder's quest and try running the small cave and the unremarkable dungeon, but I'm afraid one of the townsfolk will walk by and grab it off the ground. I've had that happen with past weaponsmiths. Quite annoying. I decide to drop it in the furthestmost northwest corner of Terinyo, where few villagers seem to wander around. Hopefully this won't bite Sarvesh in his bearded dwarf bum later.

I then head up to the small cave for a quick stop. I get attacked by a pack of wild dogs along the way but manage to escape without leveling up. Also without dying. The good news is the stairs down in the small cave is literally one room away from the entrance, so the small cave should be easier than our adventure with Dirtfarmer. I go back to the entrance, grab an iron ore lying next to the staircase up, then go to the village dungeon to complete the quest.

The village dungeon makes for fairly uneventful diving. I find scale mail that would be really useful armor for early game...except it's "charged" and by wearing it I regularly get shocked and lose some health. Way to taunt me, RNG. Also I find a neutral fairy dragon next to the downstairs on level 6 of the village dungeon. Not sure if I want to tangle with it. Don't dragons drop good loot? Like fairy dragon scale mail? Not sure. Whatever, I attack it anyway. It's only level 1. It takes a couple swings and during that time it blasts me with ice, but the damage isn't too bad. It doesn't drop anything. Typical.

So I get down to DL:7, having leveled up to 8 and gaining some strength and learning from athletics, but I can't find Yriggs. I find a room full of eyes of destruction and I close the door on that. But he can't be anywhere else on the level, I'm pretty sure. I checked all other rooms. So I try going back and I find, surprise surprise, a gray ooze in the way. It splits into two. I try fighting them barehanded (because acid can damage your metal weapon) and it really hurts. Killing one takes me down to half health, and the other splits into two more. Screw that noise, I'm coming back and will save Yriggs later. I think I'll try running the unremarkable dungeon and see if I can find a forge, or at least some better equipment. Our armor (PV) is too low for me to feel comfortable fighting through a flood of gray ooze to save Yriggs at the moment.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2015, 04:08:47 pm »

When we last left Sarvesh, he was trying to save Yriggs but ultimately bailed and decided to come back later. Now he's diving through the unremarkable dungeon in the name of loot and profit.

As far as loot goes, we found a sweet adamantium medium sized shield with [+7 +2]. This is really gonna help with survivability. We also find some black gauntlets that increase my armor rating by 2.

Diving down some more, we encounter an invisible beasty that tails us constantly, and it hits hard. I rush to get out of that floor. I think it was an invisible stalker? I know those are a dangerous thing in Crawl.

On the next floor, we receive the message "you suddenly feel threatened." While exploring the level, I get blasted by ice from an invisible mook. great, more invisibles. Invisible and ice spells can mean only one thing, an ogre magus. I get knocked into critical levels, barely escaping with 1 hit point. Praise the devs for coward tactics getting a speed boost while at low health. I kite around it and explore some more, taking some time in a room to heal, but I keep getting into squabbles with dungeon fodder that keep my health relatively low. Then the ogre magus finds me and catches me in a dead end. I try to get around it and run like hell down the long, single tile wide corridor.

Suddenly, SURPRISE, I get blasted with another cone of ice and die. Guess what, it came from the opposite end of the corridor, from the direction I was running towards. I was surrounded. It turns out there were not just one invisible ogre magus, but MULTIPLE invisible ogre magus...es. Maguses. Magusi? Magi. Multiple invisible asshats who were wandering around the level and were capable of blasting me with ice spells and killing me.

ADOM seems to hate my guts.

Upon checking my information on death, it turns out I got cursed from drinking from a pool. Only got to drink once before it dried up and said I "felt threatened" so I guess that was the curse. Note to self, never drink from pools. The risk of cursing/dooming just doesn't seem worth it.

Next time: Sarvesh Round 2, Smithing Boogaloo.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 05:20:03 pm by Spehss _ »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9