Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Mandate III (7/7 Senators, 0/X Representatives)  (Read 3366 times)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
Re: Mandate III (7/7 Senators, 0/X Representatives)
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2015, 09:14:53 am »

((yep Trade Goods exist))

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2015, 02:47:49 pm »

((How much are trade goods worth? Can Earth trade-goods be immediately re-sold on Earth?))

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2015, 03:19:21 pm »

((Trade Goods are worth as much as other Players are willing to pay for them. They cannot be resold on earth.

They can however be substituted for Production and used upon a Population Unit, double its tax output. They can also be used to reduce approval problems by one per trade good.))

The Chancellor calmly listens to the senatorial proposals and finally decides that the debate has gone on for long enough.

"I here by end the First Session and put the Proposals to vote.

((You will Recieve the Proposals via PM and then you can vote on them))

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2015, 08:57:16 pm »

((I was going to complain about cutting off proposals just as you gave us useful information, keeping me from submitting a better optimized revision for my plan. Then I realized I'd be complaining about the Future UN being inefficient, so ...

Did you send PMs yet? I didn't get one.))

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2015, 05:14:39 am »

Results of Senate Session:

Mars Colony Project AYE: 6 NAY: 1 ABSTAIN: 0 - MOTION PASSED
Spend two Credits towards 2 Corvettes
Shift 1 Farmer towards Production
Addendum A (requires separate vote) AYE: 3 NAY: 2 ABSTAIN: 2 - MOTION PASSED
Invest 2 Credits into Hydroponic Farms

Tax Change A AYE: 2 NAY: 5 ABSTAIN: 0 - MOTION FAILED
Reduce Tax to a flat 20% for Colonies

Tax Change B AYE: 2 NAY: 5 ABSTAIN: 0 - MOTION FAILED
Any newly established colony shall have a 10% taxrate. This tax shall rise with 5% every turn until it is equal to the  common taxrate for all other colonies. (50% for now)

Earth:

2 Corvettes produced
1 Trade Good produced
Hydroponic Farms (2/100) - [38] No Breakthrough

Senate Treasury:
Treasury: 7 Credits
Fleet Production: -2 Credits
Research: -2 Credits

"...With the production of the Charybdis and the Scylla Earth has produced its first two FTL-capable ships. Both Exploration Corvettes are the first steps in the Larger Project that is the Colonization of Mars..." - BBC News

"Hydroponics, The Future of Farming?" - National Geographic

The Senate is in Session once more. ((OOC: please note the Turn has not yet passed))

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2015, 01:29:02 pm »

Gentlemen, I urge you strongly to remember that our new Republic needs a foundation in a form of a Constitution. The present rules stipulate memberships of senate members and broad taxation, but those are merely technical rulings, rather than principles on which we can build Mankind.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 02:39:51 pm by Ardas »

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2015, 01:56:35 pm »

Gentlemen, I urge you strongly to remember that our new Republic needs a foundation in a form of a Constitution. The present rules stipulate memberships of senate members and broad taxation, but those are merely technical rulings, rather than principles on which we can build Mankind.

"Indeed, I agree, a constitution must be put in place. I can only find one problem with the proposed constitution, namely the phrase "irrevocable union". It is good that such a union exists, yet, as was shown by the United States of America, any government, no matter how free, will turn tyrannical. In such an event, revolution may become necessary, and the phrase "irrevocable union" would deter that.

Thus, I believe that we should take out the word 'irrevocable' from the constitution, and perhaps add an article that can be called upon in the case of the worst."
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2015, 02:25:34 pm »

I'd rather say "might", rather than "will", because this would otherwise imply a downfall of this very government as such. as for the Union being irrevocable - space is a dangerous place and even with no ability to immediately support colonies and the incredible time lags that we face, its important that we remain united as we spread across the stars, that we keep in touch and prevent humanity from being scattered and lost in space. Not to mention, Earth will need every single one of those colonies.

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2015, 03:24:50 pm »

I'd rather say "might", rather than "will", because this would otherwise imply a downfall of this very government as such. as for the Union being irrevocable - space is a dangerous place and even with no ability to immediately support colonies and the incredible time lags that we face, its important that we remain united as we spread across the stars, that we keep in touch and prevent humanity from being scattered and lost in space. Not to mention, Earth will need every single one of those colonies.
"Indeed, I do believe this government will eventually fall, be it 5 years from now or 5000 years from now. No government run by man will last for eternity.

And yes, unity is something we need desperately. But eventually, tyranny will rule. I am merely proposing that we set up a system right now, before tyranny, that will allow future colonies to secede. Mind you, they will only be able to secede if and when the government has been corrupted. Thus, this should not effect us now, but future generations may thank us for this."

((Roleplaying ho!))

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2015, 03:29:25 pm »

To plan for a downfall is to invite it from very beginning. I'm afraid that your intentions are not only erroneous but also counterproductive, to put it lightly. I would be wary of any further words, lest press gets a whiff of the minutes of our proceedings...

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2015, 03:54:31 pm »

I think, we should all be practical and realize that the greatest return for the Mandate will not come from the heavy taxation of the labour of the colonists that live their. They're after all, already faced with the harsh conditions of their prospective homeworlds, and even with optimistic population estimations the gains would only barely be worth the cost of collecting them.

In fact, the greatest benefit for the Mandate lies in the rich material reserves that can be exploited on the Martian Surface. My estimates say that even a small colony on Mars would be sufficient to ensure the supply of plentiful resources for most of the Earth's needs, and in the future, for other of the Mandate's Core worlds. The economic gains from such an abundance would far outclass anything that can be gained from the Martian Colony.

In addition to that, I think that it might be useful to look further than Mars, and consider locating the first Colony in the Kuiper Belt. Even a minor operation would yield sufficient results to supply all of Earth's needs, and even those off a fully sized Martian Colony.

In order to make this vision a reality, I have the following propositions.

Spoiler: Taxation Reform (click to show/hide)

This proposition would reduce the rate of taxation to neglible levels for aspiring colonies, and increase the income by taxing the trade and wealth of a flourishing economy.

This ensures that the Economic Motor of the Mandate will never run short of raw materials.

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2015, 04:24:59 pm »

To plan for a downfall is to invite it from very beginning. I'm afraid that your intentions are not only erroneous but also counterproductive, to put it lightly. I would be wary of any further words, lest press gets a whiff of the minutes of our proceedings...
I think I am not being understood. I merely wish to provide a safety net for future generations. Such a safety net will cause the Mandate to prosper and help to deter tyranny.

As for the press, this isnt a closed meeting, and thus the press shall get transcripts of everything we say anyway. Besides, the people will need to be informed of the workings of this new government."

I think, we should all be practical and realize that the greatest return for the Mandate will not come from the heavy taxation of the labour of the colonists that live their. They're after all, already faced with the harsh conditions of their prospective homeworlds, and even with optimistic population estimations the gains would only barely be worth the cost of collecting them.

In fact, the greatest benefit for the Mandate lies in the rich material reserves that can be exploited on the Martian Surface. My estimates say that even a small colony on Mars would be sufficient to ensure the supply of plentiful resources for most of the Earth's needs, and in the future, for other of the Mandate's Core worlds. The economic gains from such an abundance would far outclass anything that can be gained from the Martian Colony.

In addition to that, I think that it might be useful to look further than Mars, and consider locating the first Colony in the Kuiper Belt. Even a minor operation would yield sufficient results to supply all of Earth's needs, and even those off a fully sized Martian Colony.

In order to make this vision a reality, I have the following propositions.

Spoiler: Taxation Reform (click to show/hide)

This proposition would reduce the rate of taxation to neglible levels for aspiring colonies, and increase the income by taxing the trade and wealth of a flourishing economy.

This ensures that the Economic Motor of the Mandate will never run short of raw materials.

"Yes, this is something I can get behind. I argued last session for the lowering of the tax rate, yet there were few people who thought it wise. Perhaps with the addition of taxing the trade system, we can ease the burden on the future colonies."

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2015, 04:31:04 pm »

((I'm the only 'nay?' I don't think we can even afford a turn two colony ship + freighters now.
Ghazkull: Can we take out loans?))

"Interesting proposed constitution, but I disagree on several points."

"I briefly mention this in my commented constitution draft. It bears discussion: a single grand admiral is a bad idea. I would see three with equivalent forces, each controlling their own ground personnel and atmospheric craft. Colonial governors should be allowed command of their own, strictly limited, fleet garrisons, and as many land garrisons as they feel necessary."

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2015, 04:47:27 pm »

((I'm the only 'nay?' I don't think we can even afford a turn two colony ship + freighters now.
Ghazkull: Can we take out loans?))
Sure we can. 7+4= 11

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2015, 04:56:51 pm »

((Plus 1/each maintenance on corvettes.))
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5