Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Mandate III (7/7 Senators, 0/X Representatives)  (Read 3364 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Mandate III (7/7 Senators, 0/X Representatives)
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2015, 05:02:57 pm »

((Plus 1/each maintenance on corvettes.))
((Whoops. Well then. Colony turn 3.))

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2015, 05:52:50 pm »

((Yeah. I'm slightly annoyed that my different proposal got only half worked in. I proposed we drop a corvette and invest 2 credits in hydroponics, and Ghaz only added in the hydroponics. Ah well, c'est la vie.))
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2015, 07:24:19 pm »

(trade goods double tax income, don't forget, so if we use it, we can still get 6 credits, and thus colony frigate)
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2015, 12:06:44 am »

(trade goods double tax income, don't forget, so if we use it, we can still get 6 credits, and thus colony frigate)
((Trade goods have to originate from another planet.))

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2015, 06:53:06 am »

"Interesting proposed constitution, but I disagree on several points."

"I briefly mention this in my commented constitution draft. It bears discussion: a single grand admiral is a bad idea. I would see three with equivalent forces, each controlling their own ground personnel and atmospheric craft. Colonial governors should be allowed command of their own, strictly limited, fleet garrisons, and as many land garrisons as they feel necessary."

"I see no problem with the position of a Grand Admiral, as its serves no other purpose than the chief of staff - after all, the overview and ultimate authority will rest with the President.
And yes, the powers and nature of a president's office were intentionally left vague to generate discussion and see what is a workable and acceptable position.
As for your comments on citizenship - its universal nature will mean that the troublemakers that were mentioned will not be excluded from the full extent of the law and duties that will rest on all citizens. If you are worried about them abusing the privileges of citizenship, rest assured that at present similar situation happens on Earth - no matter the circumstances, a person is always classified as being of one nationality or citizenship or the other and with that, the duty of prosecuting them rests with their own national government. The same situation applies here, where the Republic will take up the responsibility of law enforcement over its own citizens.
Last but not least, I do not think that enshrining civil and personal rights in the constitution is a waste. Its worthwhile to remember the principles on which this governing body will rest."
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 04:46:08 pm by Ardas »

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2015, 09:10:18 am »

((not any more no ebbor.))

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2015, 11:32:35 am »

Having been provided with new information, I believe that I have yet another proposal. Industrial efforts on Earth, have, understandably, given recent history, been focused to much on agricultural supplies. If we're to expand the Mandate, we need to significantly increase Industrial Production.

Spoiler: The Great Leap (click to show/hide)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2015, 11:03:24 pm »

((Ghazkull, can we at least know who's who? I still don't know which Senator Ardas is.

FAKEDIT: Nor Ebbor, as it turns out, because you people haven't been saying which Senator you are in your posts. >.>))

Senator Lydia Akamine surveyed the room again, having sat down again when others took the floor, and listening to the debate after the votes had been cast.

"Fellow Senators, these are all worthy ideas. However, like most ideas, they could use refinement. I have several addenda and revisions to suggest for all of these proposals. First, Senator [?]'s plan for a Constitution. There are several features I find wanting, and several I find needless. I will be sending a draft of my views and suggestions to your tablets shortly. Some of you may find my disputes to be merely semantic in origin, but if they are, then I must ask; is a document as important as this not important enough to warrant such discretion? It will be parsed, word by word, in future years, and we must plan for such."

As she speaks, she taps something on her own tablet, and a notification appears on each of the other Senators'.

"That done, we are able to move on to Senator [??]'s proposals. The Taxation reform could stand to be far less severe on trade, and personally I feel that we could do with more investment in research. A Change of tax rates on trade to 40%, and on base income for colonies of 30%, at minimum, would be far more reasonable, I believe. I see little problem with the Monopoly, save that it could serve to have a better title, and that for worlds which require all population to be dedicated towards food production, such as fledgling colonies, an exception be made. Finally, I believe that in order to combat our growing population needs, we need to construct a colony ship, to bring settlers to Mars, and focus our citizenry on production to finance such an expedition. Over the next three years((is a year a turn?)), I propose the following plan."

Spoiler: Project Green Mars (click to show/hide)
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2015, 06:00:10 am »

((sorry, the Solon and Consul are just alternative names for the post of president, I was just toying with the names.))

Senator DuGalle expected opposition to his constitutional proposal. After all, this was a document outlining the future for humanity, and everyone had t make sure that elements that went into it would not undermine or damage anyone.

"While both of the amended drafts raise reasonable points, I have to counter them with a single question - can this Senate act as an executive body? Can it make policy rulings and push in direct action when its required? Can we not recall the rule of committees in parliaments of 20th and 21st century, where legislation and decisions were bogged down in councils and brought misfortune where action was needed. Not to mention, appropriate oversight and decision making still remains within this chamber, but its inevitable that it has to be outsourced so that executive power is handled properly.
As for worries of tyranny, I say that the only ones worried about it are those that harbour either paranoia or thoughts of power for themselves.
Last but not least, I wondered if there was any call or opinion about the judicial powers of this Senate and whether a separate World Court would be needed. After all, one could consider this very chamber to be tyrannical for as long as constitution and separation of powers are not in place."

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2015, 01:50:03 pm »

((well folks?))

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2015, 02:27:24 pm »

((You said that "the turn has not yet passed." I took that to mean that we were waiting on you.))

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2015, 10:03:16 am »

((im waiting for you folks to come to a conclusion regarding the Constitution before i update...aka several proper proposals.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2015, 07:35:54 am »

((As Far as I'm concerned, my proposal has been submitted. People voted for it, but no one submitted a properly amended draft and the few annotated versions without any substitutions, which makes my proposal stay as it is.))

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2015, 07:37:48 pm »

"Very well then. These are the Chinese proposed revisions to this Constitution. Most notably, the senate is led by an executor in times of crises, who rules only when we cannot reach a consensus or in a crisis, that colonial governments be allowed their own garrisons, and that we have multiple admirals, who command their own ground forces. Article III must include state the importance of Humanity's self-perpetuation. Article IV allows for a colonial populace to depose a governor. Article IX is new, and dis-allows governors from declaring independence."

« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 03:51:41 pm by Nirur Torir »

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2015, 05:43:51 am »

"The Chinese Amendments are broadly within the suggested framework of the Constitution, upholding the ideas of Terran supremacy and unity of all human worlds to be. I support this version. My sole  suggestion lies with the title of executor - Perhaps renaming the post to a Chairman or Director-General, or even Prime Minister would sound less menacing and dictatorial."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5