Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20

Author Topic: Transgender Bathrooms  (Read 23348 times)

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
Re: Transgender Bathrooms
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2015, 06:33:37 am »

I think one of the main problems is that a non-insignificant number of people don't see transgendered people as being a "true" representation of their gender, so you get people who become all territorial when they see a "man" (trans women) in the women bathroom, or vice versa, and they don't think they belong in their room.

IMO the best solution is unisex bathrooms, because it stops bathrooms from becoming rooms "for only us", and just becomes "a bathroom".

Or to tell them to grow up and stop being ridiculous?
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2015, 06:43:32 am »

Do you actually think this is a more effective way of allowing trans people to become more accepted and use the bathroom in peace that unisex bathrooms?

Because I don't know about you, but in my experience, telling someone to "grow up" generally doesn't change peoples opinion, and in fact may even reinforce them.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2015, 07:43:44 am »

Do you actually think this is a more effective way of allowing trans people to become more accepted and use the bathroom in peace that unisex bathrooms?

Because I don't know about you, but in my experience, telling someone to "grow up" generally doesn't change peoples opinion, and in fact may even reinforce them.

They are being stupid, and I don't think that unisex bathroom are that good an idea in a large scale setting. Sometime, it's better to marginalize an oppinion than to try to change their hardcore supporter.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2015, 07:58:11 am »

Well, we can always do both :P. After all, they are being stupid regardless.

I can't think of a problem for unisex bathrooms in larger settings. In fact, it seems like they may be more efficient, as it allows for all the bathroom resources to be used more efficiently. For example, the last time I went to a metal concert, the male bathroom had a queue despite the fact that the female bathroom was quite literally empty almost the entire time.

Unless you mean "large scale" as in "in more places", but even then I see no problem, at least in my own experiences. All the new public toilets around here are these automatic self-cleaning toilets, which are unisex (and cater for disabled people too).
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2015, 08:03:05 am »

It's not so much that unisex bathrooms aren't a good idea in a large scale setting (unless you're talking about temporary setups with lots of portapotties) it's the logistics of it. It'd be like splitting up a gender bathroom with a capacity of 10 into 10 separate rooms.

Now imagine a large scale place like say, a sports stadium, or even a theatre doing that.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2015, 08:06:39 am »

Wait, why do we need separate rooms? What's wrong with cubicles?

As far as I can tell, in most places you could just remove the wall and the gender signs to get a unisex bathroom.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 08:08:12 am by alexandertnt »

You eat your own head

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2015, 08:08:23 am »

That's gonna be way, way, way harder to sell than letting transgender people use the right bathrooms.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2015, 08:14:33 am »

Well, I don't really think so, but then again I don't exactly have a study backing that up, so perhaps.

I still think it is a better solution. If such a thing became normal, not only would it help transgender people, but also any other gender identity or biological sex etc. It also has logistical benefits I listed earlier.

You eat your own head

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2015, 10:35:33 am »

I will try and chime in with a few points:
a) In Europe, we have all those laws about sexual violence, mobbing, and various other sex crimes. I'm pretty sure a (sex) man in a women's bathroom would be in for, like, a major fee and a few months in jail... Since law is the law, and common sense has no implication in the court. Also, really, if we are going to use common sense instead of billions of laws, I'm in for it, but we really need to get rid of, like, 85% of the laws already established.
b) I have no beef with unisex bathrooms one way or another (stalls/separate rooms/any other way). I've even worked in a place where all bathrooms were unisex (room kind), and it seemed to work well enough. I think bigger problem would be with the changing rooms/locker rooms in sporting establishments and schools - those are often open (I mean: no stalls/small rooms/any kind of separation), at least where I live; hardly a way to make them unisex without some major problems (high schools come to mind).
c) If we are really going to regulate transgender bathrooms, I postulate to regulate claustrophobic bathrooms (what is with those tiny, tiny stalls?) and germophobic bathrooms (all those people not disinfecting anything!) and... You catch my drift. This is not a mockery, mind you - in my country, we have gotten 26 000 pages of new laws... Last year. This is like 70 full-sized, A4 pages of text to read daily just to keep up with the law. And I do mean daily - including weekends, holidays and stuff. I don't think I know 5% of the laws in my country, and I'm pretty sure I couldn't even name all the felonies that could land me in jail, despite trying to keep up at least with that...
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2015, 10:46:11 am »

a) In Europe, we have all those laws about sexual violence, mobbing, and various other sex crimes. I'm pretty sure a (sex) man in a women's bathroom would be in for, like, a major fee and a few months in jail... Since law is the law, and common sense has no implication in the court. Also, really, if we are going to use common sense instead of billions of laws, I'm in for it, but we really need to get rid of, like, 85% of the laws already established.

Huh? We aren't talking about a man (and I mean 100% male, not transgender) going into a womans bathroom, we're talking about transgender because you've got someone who looks male, but has female bodyparts/functionality going into a womans bathroom.

Arg, I'm probably not explaining it clearly and I'm not transgender myself and don't happen to personally know anybody in RL who is transgender, so...

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2015, 10:53:43 am »

The actual solution is to let transgender people use the appropriate bathrooms without freaking out over it for no reason.  Trying to appease bigots with bizarre middle ground suggestions is a fruitless endeavor.
I like you.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2015, 11:00:01 am »

I mean, I could ask all my transgendered friends...

But honestly I'd rather treat them as if they weren't transgendered at all. (I wonder which person is going to be the first to misinterpret this)

we're talking about transgender because you've got someone who looks male, but has female bodyparts/functionality going into a womans bathroom.

We aaaare talking about someone who looks like a woman (Or not at all, there is no rule that a Transgendered person needs to try to put on a convincing or particularly engendered look... In fact some don't... something I wish people would remember), who has a penis, going into a woman's bathroom.

Meaning if that penis is all you need to consider them a man... that means there is a man in the woman's bathroom... and since being transgendered doesn't mean you are homosexual. It means there is an excellent chance that you have a man, who likes women, in a women's bathroom with women.

And that is the crux of the paranoia.

It is the same reason why some people are scared to leave their children around homosexuals...

The actual solution is to let transgender people use the appropriate bathrooms without freaking out over it for no reason.  Trying to appease bigots with bizarre middle ground suggestions is a fruitless endeavor.
I like you.

Don't get into teaching or government work. For your sanity.

We don't exactly live in a world where you can just avoid the morons, especially when we are talking about places where the "bigots" are not the minority (or if they are, they are definitely the controlling minority)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 11:04:04 am by Neonivek »

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2015, 11:50:40 am »

a) In Europe, we have all those laws about sexual violence, mobbing, and various other sex crimes. I'm pretty sure a (sex) man in a women's bathroom would be in for, like, a major fee and a few months in jail...
I'm pretty sure this is more of an exception than the rule though. Haven't heard of many places in Europe where someone would be doing time for JUST going into wrong bathroom. But there are such places in, I guess.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2015, 12:00:52 pm »

a) In Europe, we have all those laws about sexual violence, mobbing, and various other sex crimes. I'm pretty sure a (sex) man in a women's bathroom would be in for, like, a major fee and a few months in jail...
I'm pretty sure this is more of an exception than the rule though. Haven't heard of many places in Europe where someone would be doing time for JUST going into wrong bathroom. But there are such places in, I guess.

I looked into it and the results are very muddled...

How muddled? It is hard to even find out if it is even illegal to go into the wrong bathroom normally... Anywhere!

It seems like some people believe it is illegal (Mostly store clerks), while others seem to say that there is no law specifically banning people from going into whatever bathroom they want in both Europe and the USA.

I am assuming, for sanity, that Canada doesn't have this issue... I know I've been in a women's bathroom before out of necessity and when I was so young that I was brought in there with my mother.

In fact when a couple had sex in the bathroom in the USA they were charged with public indecency.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 12:10:04 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20