Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20

Author Topic: Transgender Bathrooms  (Read 23264 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Transgender Bathrooms
« on: March 11, 2015, 03:05:01 pm »

In most places, it is common to see certain facilities as gender segregated, like bathrooms and locker rooms. The concept of transgender creates conflict with the system.

What do you think should be done about it? Should there be additional transgender facilities alongside the male and female ones (and if so, how many)? Should everything just be unisex? Who should be the decider in all of this? Any additional thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 03:32:15 pm by Lagslayer »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: Transgender Bathrooms
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 03:12:17 pm »

I think they should just make a 3rd bigger "free for all" bathroom.  Put the diaper changing stations in it too.

Or if that is a pain, then just make 1 big bathroom with lots of stalls for everyone.  People would probably get used to it.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 03:13:54 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 03:23:27 pm »

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 05:29:16 pm by penguinofhonor »

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 03:31:54 pm »

Oops, gonna edit my opening statement. Guess my thoughts got a little cluttered while typing it out. Yes, I do know the difference.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 03:33:28 pm by Lagslayer »

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 03:45:46 pm »

The problem I immediately see arising from such question is - how do you label "transgender bathroom" in the first place? A silly semantics maybe, but still, as this can be a volatile issue, I'd figure just agreeing on symbol/initial while trying not to offend anyone could be a pain. Or maybe not, maybe I'm overthinking this.

Personally - eh, I think in ideal world, gender-non-specific public bathrooms for everyone would be a way to go. After all, this is just a place we poop an pee in and everyone has to do it, regardless of gender, so why make it special (though I confess I kinda like this sort of duality because it's like a game to me but this is not a topic for this discussion).

Of course, as we do not live in ideal world... dunno. I'd say let them use either bathroom and be done with it, but I guess it's not that simple.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 03:47:40 pm »

how do you label "transgender bathroom" in the first place? A silly semantics maybe, but still, as this can be a volatile issue, I'd figure just agreeing on symbol/initial while trying not to offend anyone could be a pain. Or maybe not, maybe I'm overthinking this.

Lots of good stuff.  :)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 03:52:06 pm »

Why not just go with unisex bathrooms? Of course though, if it's a private place or someplace small, then you could easily do unisex because it can just be one person in there at a time, but for public unisex with capacity larger than one (not counting moms with babies), you run into the problem of privacy. Of course though, people could just use the bathroom stall instead of the urinal.

Also, I don't see this thread sticking around too long.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 04:00:31 pm »

Might I ask why you think that?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 04:03:47 pm »

Might I ask why you think that?

Because threads on topics like this don't usually go too well. I'm not against it, just saying that the topic can get volatile.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 04:06:05 pm »

is there a reason they cant just use whichever bathroom corresponds with their pluming as it were?

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 04:08:36 pm »

is there a reason they cant just use whichever bathroom corresponds with their pluming as it were?

Sometimes this, depending on how friendly your area is:

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 04:13:40 pm »

Is this something Americans care more about than Europeans, or does the same attitude exist in both places? I don't really see how anyone knows what your sexual identity is when you're using a stall, nor why it should matter other than people's perception of impropriety.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 04:16:40 pm »

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 05:29:12 pm by penguinofhonor »

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 04:26:56 pm »

In addition to the social consequences, sometimes there are legal ones. Florida, Texas, and Kentucky are all considering bills right now that would require transgender people to use only the bathroom of their biological sex.
Wait what why? Who the hell benefits from that? Why do people keep trying to make laws like this?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2015, 04:30:01 pm »

Why not just go with unisex bathrooms? Of course though, if it's a private place or someplace small, then you could easily do unisex because it can just be one person in there at a time, but for public unisex with capacity larger than one (not counting moms with babies), you run into the problem of privacy. Of course though, people could just use the bathroom stall instead of the urinal.

It isn't that bathrooms couldn't be unisex

It is that we could never get rid of Women's bathrooms.

Since the major arguments towards why women need "women only space" is:

1) Women need to be free from men and need their own space. Something they can only get in female only spaces.
2) Women need a space where they are protected from men, their words, and their eyes. Men generally harass women just by being near them (Male Gaze for example).
3) Men will be perverts and sexual harass women

At least those were the three arguments I got... and before you rag on me, NO not all three are from feminist sources... though I won't fill in which is which.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20