Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 107

Author Topic: Overwatch  (Read 167510 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: Overwatch - Released
« Reply #1500 on: July 26, 2017, 01:13:09 am »

I don't see how buffing a weakness is equivalent to changing nothing of value.

I still can't remove people by pressing shift, so why should I caaaare.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Pajama Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • Easy to Please
    • View Profile
    • Pajama Knight's Blog
« Reply #1501 on: July 26, 2017, 02:18:33 am »

Literally the only reason Roadhog got nerfed is because it "felt bad" to get hooked by him. Plenty of characters can reliably put out heavy damage without an 8 second cool down. Now Road can't even do that unreliably. I don't disagree with the idea to rework him, but how about actually reworking him so he's useful again before making his only gimmick useless?

Speaking of Roadhog, I played in a game with a guy who shot his mouse sensitivity through the roof every time he hooked someone. You'd just warp all over the place around him, it was pretty hilarious.
Providing an opinion on things in desperate need of an opinion since 1989.

Pajama Knight's Blog - Videos, Games, and Musings

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: July 26, 2017, 04:47:24 am »

Word on the street is Roadhog's sandvich vape gas will allow him to move while in use and give him 50% resistance during the heal.
Yes fucking please. If he's not going to be a DPS and he's going to feed ult a lot, at least make him less likely to die.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: July 26, 2017, 07:35:14 am »

Proof that Overwatch is the worst thing created by man:

I love you guys, and I love this forum. I've never had a single issue with anyone one here, barring once or twice with someone I won't name for politeness' sake but you can probably guess, and even then it was tame. And now I'm fittin' to jump down peoples throats because they want a video game character to be different than what it is and my vision is slightly different than theirs.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: July 26, 2017, 07:48:50 am »

LoL
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: July 26, 2017, 04:54:33 pm »

We are having a civil conversation here and I don't know why you feel the need to drag in some strawman argument. What purpose does Roadhog have in this game that the other Tanks don't have in his category? He can't defend his team with Shields like Orisa, Reinhard, Zarya,  or D.VA . He cannot rush with high mobility in to cause distractions like Winston or D.VA..

Area Denial is all he had for forcing the enemy to attack him over the other sort of tanks. What good is he now compared to the rest of them?

The whole "One Shot" problem falls on its head when Blizzard just released Doomfist who can oneshot characters as well!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 04:56:19 pm by ZebioLizard2 »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: July 26, 2017, 05:11:41 pm »

I'm not really convinced. He'll be harder to kill, but the thing is you can largely just ignore him due to how little damage he does now. You can probably just focus someone else (unless you have nothing better to shoot and want some ult charge) then finish him off last.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: July 26, 2017, 08:07:43 pm »

We are having a civil conversation here and I don't know why you feel the need to drag in some strawman argument. What purpose does Roadhog have in this game that the other Tanks don't have in his category? He can't defend his team with Shields like Orisa, Reinhard, Zarya,  or D.VA . He cannot rush with high mobility in to cause distractions like Winston or D.VA..

Because I got desensitized after the 3rd time hog was changed at all and for the 3rd time everyone that played five or more seconds of hog crawled out of the woodwork and began to chant that hog was dead, hog was dead, he's worthless now, I'll never play him again (and then they do...), hog is dead, hog is dead.  Whatever change they cooked up didn't even exist outside of words much less the PTR yet somehow half the game freaks and gives up on the guy.  Doesn't matter if the change were one less damage per left click, hook reworks, or a buff to vaping habits, I'd read the same old HOG IS FUCKING DEAD for the next two weeks.  I'm now in the sixth or seventh time of this silliness and my eyes glaze over as soon as I hear they are changing roadhog, because I can lazily guess correctly ahead of time that no one will like it without even being aware of what the change even is.  The overwatch community is wonderful like that.

And hog was barely a tank.  By that logic damn near everyone is a tank in overwatch because hey presto they make the enemy team dead, and dead characters generally deal zero damage hey look the team is saved.  The only tanking to do was the utter requirement to kill him to lift the restraining order that was the hog hook, now you can finally get close to the enemy team for all of 20 seconds instead of 8.  Which was only hard because he had 600+ health and was probably around a barrier or two.  Meanwhile he deletes people who are "out of position" for about a second or so, even though what's "out of position" is decides by both you and the roadhog, because roadhog has legs, a brain, and a battering ram for shields, so I'm sure that's consistent at all.  Literally overshadowing some offense characters in terms of securing kills on top of having much more durability.

And then at the same time you don't want him to tank for anyone much less himself, because ultimates exist in overwatch.  Basically the same ult charge (or even more) than if the teammate just got shot anyway.  His tanking, if you can even call it that, is entirely selfish.  Its just there to ensure survival after hooking someone adjacent to him, assuming they don't just die from being hooked and shot.  Apart from literal body blocking he only protects himself from elimination.

Torb is a more well thought out area denial tank without even being a tank.  The turret offers the area denial, and practically offers a 7th teammate providing passive protection from dives, whose mobility options can't easily dodge the turret DPS.  The enemy's forced to either choose to focus the turret first, or suck up the extra DPS and risk a team fight anyway.  If the team does focus the turret you can take advantage of that with placement.  Dva might distract it with matrix but now her back might be turned to the rest of the team for just long enough.  Torb himself isn't a slouch either, his gun's a bit unreliable at range but the shotgun function is underestimated, and both in tandem work even better than the sum of the parts.

Meanwhile his actual tanking ability, his ability to protect the team, charges much less ult than just a slab of HP does.  Armor charges less than HP would, and turrets don't charge ult at all.  And 75 armor is nothing to sneeze at, anywhere from 75 to 135 extra HP.  A support with 75 armor and potential overwatch from a turret is much more difficult to dive onto than one without.

Meanwhile hog is just a mess of columns supporting one mechanic, which is to deal DPS tier damage every 6-8 seconds.  Which you must abuse because he has nothing else in his design, and not abusing it as much as possible results in paradoxically the team taking more damage, not less, because they potentially must weather more ultimate abilities.  He's a gimmicky DPS with selfish amounts of HP that with negligance results in literal anti-tanking.  Not a tank.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: September 19, 2017, 06:55:10 pm »

So the new Mercy and D.va reworks just hit live. While both are more fun to play than before, I'd have to say things only worsened from the changes in my opinion. It felt bad to have a full team wipe get cleared with the push of a single button without much counterplay before. Now instead you more or less get 20 seconds of unwinnable fight unless you miraculously manage to kill the ulting Mercy, which is damn well near impossible without using 1-shot ults like riptire. Matches with Mercy on both sides feel like their fights drag on forever. Overall there are way more people getting rezzed in a match than before.

D.va got the ability to fire while flying and her new micromissiles which deal a total of 162 damage if you land it all. This gives her some pretty nice damage potential, but the problem is that new D.va is now basically old roadhog, a fat defenseless target incapable of doing a tank's role that charges the enemy ults and becomes a liability when it comes to ult economy, except that D.va doesn't have old Roadhog's ability to safely and reliably get picks. Matrix only lasts 2 seconds now and takes a full 8 seconds to refill. Being able to kill enemies is nice but you quickly notice there's a problem when it comes to leveraging this close range damage. Matrix doesn't last long enough to get close without using boosters, and if you boost in matrix can't protect you until you can boost back out. D.va is now extremely reliant on teamwork and brings less to the team than ever. Self-damage on micromissiles and not being able to cancel the ability does cause the occasional issue vs Zarya bubble, Genji reflect, Mei suddenly iceblocking or walling in your face causing self-damage. The extra damage from missiles and new playstyle for D.va means a lot more ults, but you'll have to waste a lot more of them from constantly losing mech.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 07:06:47 pm by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: September 19, 2017, 08:16:15 pm »

People weren't mad about rez during 3 tank, don't see how it could possibly cause anger for dive.  You kill Mercy first, that's the counter play.  People dealt with her for almost a year using Genji as the only ganker, now they've got 4 gankers on the same team and they can't make it work?  What's so great too is seeing DPS players forced to go healer derp around and get 36 deaths/0 rezes as Mercy.

The original point of support ults was that they would be used reactively to counter ult combos.  Now Ana has an offensive ult and counters Zen's reactive ult (which he also has to hold to counter genji), Lucio's changes heavily incentivize using his ult offensively, and dive meta + higher average game knowledge renders teleporter mostly meaningless.  The only reaction ult left is Mercy.  But apparently now the devs have decided that its a good idea to buff graviton surge so none of the dive characters can escape, buff pharmercy past the ceiling and into heaven so there'll ALWAYS been a barrage ready to combo, and remove the only thing in the entire game that counters graviton.  Balance!  (and this is all coming from a Pharah main)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: September 26, 2017, 11:44:32 am »

Apparently I am now playing this.

Typically, I really suck at the point and shoot accurately department, unless they stand still-ish long enough to get a bead on em.  Which I also typically do, so... yea, very easy to be killed here.  There are those odd situations where I don't get shot at for the longest time... giving me free reign to kill everything.  Or more often, miss all my shots, then die at the end.

And my situational awareness for anything outside of my FoV is equivalent to a deaf guy who also can't feel physical things.  That includes taking damage while flanked, I won't know that my HP is disappearing till it is too late or I'm dead.  So even as a 'tank', I die very easily.

... one of my non-notable but favorite deaths is when I'm trying to flank with Tracer and I'm blinking around.  She likes to yell every blink or 3... so the guy I'm trying to flank hears me and turns to face me in time to end me before I could do anything.

4 more levels before I could show the world how awesome I am in competitive play.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 12:44:39 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: September 26, 2017, 03:40:24 pm »

Typically, I really suck at the point and shoot accurately department, unless they stand still-ish long enough to get a bead on em.  Which I also typically do, so... yea, very easy to be killed here.  There are those odd situations where I don't get shot at for the longest time... giving me free reign to kill everything.  Or more often, miss all my shots, then die at the end.

And my situational awareness for anything outside of my FoV is equivalent to a deaf guy who also can't feel physical things.  That includes taking damage while flanked, I won't know that my HP is disappearing till it is too late or I'm dead.  So even as a 'tank', I die very easily.

... one of my non-notable but favorite deaths is when I'm trying to flank with Tracer and I'm blinking around.  She likes to yell every blink or 3... so the guy I'm trying to flank hears me and turns to face me in time to end me before I could do anything.

4 more levels before I could show the world how awesome I am in competitive play.

Couple of tips:
- switch on "dolby atmos for stereo headphones" in the options, maybe it's just placebo effect but i feel a lot more aware of my surroundings using it. also make sure you play with headphones in the first place, they are very useful since there's a lot of audio cues in overwatch that can be easily overheard with speakers (friendly reinhardt using his ult for instance, it's just a slamming sound that disappears in the rest of the game audio even with headphones a lot of the time).

- If you have trouble with aim, i would suggest that you play less aim-reliant heroes than tracer (like symmetra, winston, mercy, doomfist etc) to get a general sense of the game (getting that took me personally the first 50 or so hrs of playtime)

- if you still wanna play tracer, try to use the blinks either when the enemy team is distracted with shooting at the rest of your team, or use them to evade and escape while/after causing havoc on the enemy healers.

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: September 26, 2017, 05:00:15 pm »

Couple of tips:
- switch on "dolby atmos for stereo headphones" in the options, maybe it's just placebo effect but i feel a lot more aware of my surroundings using it. also make sure you play with headphones in the first place, they are very useful since there's a lot of audio cues in overwatch that can be easily overheard with speakers (friendly reinhardt using his ult for instance, it's just a slamming sound that disappears in the rest of the game audio even with headphones a lot of the time).

- If you have trouble with aim, i would suggest that you play less aim-reliant heroes than tracer (like symmetra, winston, mercy, doomfist etc) to get a general sense of the game (getting that took me personally the first 50 or so hrs of playtime)

- if you still wanna play tracer, try to use the blinks either when the enemy team is distracted with shooting at the rest of your team, or use them to evade and escape while/after causing havoc on the enemy healers.

Also, you're going to want to keep a blink in reserve to help get out of hairy situations if you're playing tracer, and if you want to get better at aiming, honestly the the practice range isn't that bad.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: September 26, 2017, 05:02:29 pm »

Couple of tips:

Also, you're going to want to keep a blink in reserve to help get out of hairy situations if you're playing tracer, and if you want to get better at aiming, honestly the the practice range isn't that bad.

There's also custom games for aim practice with no respawn timer and headshots only, those are cool too

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: September 26, 2017, 05:23:19 pm »

If you want to play Tracer, I would also advise playing tracking and/or dive characters whenever you don't feel like Tracer.  D.va, 76, and Sombra should all be pretty decent practice for a Tracer main.  Winston and Reaper have mild overlap.  I would advise against Genji because his style of aiming is very different and the other skills you'd learn playing him you can learn playing Tracer.

The skill ceiling to Tracer is mostly her aim.  And that's coming from someone who thinks most of the skill to OW is positioning and game sense; but Tracer's an exception.  The hierarchy of skills pretty much goes: remembering Torb exists > aim > timing > positioning > teamplay.  All of those matter but god tier tracking makes a god tier Tracer.  She's one of the harder characters to master IMO.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 107