Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 107

Author Topic: Overwatch  (Read 167496 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Overwatch - Released
« Reply #1470 on: July 23, 2017, 04:52:35 am »

Carrying is a bad thing in team-based games. It's just an artifact of old video games that place emphasis on motor skills rather than strategy or gamesense.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: July 23, 2017, 08:14:18 am »

I've dropped to silver now thanks to consistently being placed on teams where at least one person decided not to play. I'm legitimately considering uninstalling, especially if I can find myself a game that'd fill the multiplayer competitive space.

Also, I use overbuff to keep track of where I rate in comparison to everyone else. I was nearing top 10% of Lucios, but that's gone now. I used to be past the bell curve with all my tracked stats, but bad teammates make it hard to do well.

Here it is

This depresses me thinking about it. I put so much time and effort into the game and get rewarded with complete and absolute pain and misery.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: July 23, 2017, 08:29:58 am »

Probably why this game is so uniquely frustrating.  In league if I'm better than the other players I can consistently win.  in overwatch it doesn't matter how much ass I'm kicking, if my team isn't on the point I lose.

From what I've heard this is a problem with Blizzard in general; HOTS apparently has the same problem where carrying is extremely difficult to impossible
It's sometimes possible in HotS, but you need to be exceptionally better than pretty much everyone else in the match. Blizzard isn't very keen on the "one person carries the game" thing.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: July 23, 2017, 10:27:00 am »

I think it's a good thing you can't "carry" in Overwatch. Otherwise you might as well just stop playing every time the other team has a smurf on it, which is fairly often. It's a team game and it should be about teamwork.

I think the same applies to the vast majority of other team games, LoL and DotA are kindof exceptions because you can overlevel one character and use them to pummel everyone.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: July 23, 2017, 12:12:58 pm »

One thing I kind of miss from DOTA (not enough to actually play DOTA, mind you) is that they put things in the game that were almost impossible for a normal person to do consistently.  Like predictive shots on invisible people, fraction of a second invincibility frames on a couple abilities, or controlling multiple heroes.  Being even decent at Visage or Meepo (two characters that gain controllable allies as part of their kit) is almost impossible, but that's part of the game's charm where you can become really fucking good at something that most people can't do*.  Overwatch kind of lacks that.  Where like fundamentally the difference between a grandmaster player and a diamond player is that the grandmaster player hits more headshots and understands the script better.  They know the map knowledge and the meta, they know positioning, they know their character's role.  But that's about it, and like honestly I think most people that use mic and pay attention could learn the script just by playing 50 hours at the grandmaster level (assuming they magically didn't get flamed to hell).

To provide an example of how OW and DOTA 2 are different, invisibility.  Sombra's invisibility gives her a speed boost, and IIRC it doesn't disable transponder.  The ability basically just reads "go wherever you want".  That's why no one ever spychecks in OW, its a waste of time and ammo.  DOTA 2 also has very powerful invis abilities, but in DOTA 2 you can get dust.  Each use costs gold AND puts it on a long cooldown, but if you do catch the invis character you not only reveal them but you apply a slow.  Missing with dust is very punishing but the way its designed is just begging to be used predicatively in a clutch manner.  What the DOTA 2 design does lack is transparency and user friendliness, which OW has in spades.

I do think that OW's core design is fighting itself.  The game is designed to be played 6v6 full tryhard.  Playing it any other way can be super frustrating.  Its a game that really wants to be about learning to get better.  Yet the skill ceiling is fairly low and the developers keep lowering it.  For example the way they nerfed Ana, they dumpstered her sniper style (which is the hardest thing about her) yet kept her tank healing aspect that is both incredibly difficult to counter** and incredibly easy to pull off.  This after buffing her firerate because Ana was difficult, as if having a character low-level players can't use is a bad thing.  An example of how the skill ceiling was always low is the flanker characters.  Almost all of their abilities are automatic saves and automatic mobility.  Predicatively hitting a Tracer is so, so much harder to do then it is to prevent, because her dash is designed to automatically save her.  80% of what makes Genji, Tracer and Sombra difficult is aim.  The only character I actually had to work to learn mobility on in this game is Pharah, and low and behold they buffed her so the skillset I cultivated (that almost no one else was good at) suddenly became meaningless.  I remember learning scout in TF2.  You have to actually dodge as scout.  Not just that, but there's all sorts of cute tricks you can use to parkour across rooftops and low objects like crates and boulders.  Every hour I played in scout I got a little better at the movement.  That's not true at all of my Genji, once I figured out the rules for what can and can't be wall climbed I was pretty much set.

*I was really good at timing based save abilities that targeted my allies or myself.  Which is part of why I stopped playing, you can't save a carry who has no self preservation and the supports get blamed for all losses.

**To be clear, yeah you can dive Ana, but that's not a counter to the tank heal strategy.  That's just countering Ana, she doesn't do well at all against dive.  Winston and D.va can both make Ana essentially AFK whenever they want.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: July 23, 2017, 12:23:56 pm »

The problem was the only way to counter the heal grenade was to also have a heal grenade to cancel it out.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: July 23, 2017, 12:41:10 pm »

Still is.  When used on tanks her grenade is a pocket Zen ult.  Its broken as shit its just that you can't tell because she's unplayable in this meta.  What they needed to do was nerf the grenade's heal+ effect.  Instead they nerfed the healing itself, which was never the problem, and then threw up their hands in frustration when that made Ana unfun.

Ana's schtick was always supposed to be picking whether to heal or damage based on the situation.  She was like Mercy that traded ease of use for longer range and instant weapon switch time.  Even Ana's ult doesn't have to be used offensively, you could use it to save people as well.  The nerf to her rifle's damage makes me think that the balance team never understood Ana in the first place.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: July 23, 2017, 01:14:59 pm »

Honestly I think the nade would have still be an amazing ability even if it only boosted healing or only blocked healing.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: July 23, 2017, 01:55:41 pm »

The problem is Ana already needs a second healer babysitting her as-is.  Without self healing playing as her wouldn't be fun.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: July 23, 2017, 04:08:14 pm »

There are a few issues of characters being the main counter to themselves. Like Ana's grenade cancelling itself, Reinhardt blocking his own ult and Zenyatta being a dive staple whose main weakness is that he gets killed by dives.

Although honestly I think the meta was fine before they destroyed Roadhog and accidentally made Rein terrible. Hopefully those will be reversed soon.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: July 23, 2017, 06:07:55 pm »

I just had a hanzo and a widowmaker on offense in the same game.

I lose rank for this shit.  Why do I play this fucking game.  At least in league I can carry.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 06:09:51 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: July 23, 2017, 06:45:21 pm »

I think the snipers are actually better on attack in general. Although you never want both of them.

Their inconsistent nature works better on attack where you can move in on the point and capitalize on their picks when they happen. On defense the attackers can just back out and wait ~20 seconds for their fallen team member to come back, and wait for the fight where your sniper doesn't hit their shot.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: July 23, 2017, 06:51:13 pm »

The widow was decent but we couldn't capitalize on her picks with only two people consistently getting on the point. 

But then I feel like playing hard for the objectives must not actually be a way to consistently impact the game because like I said, only a couple of heroes I play consistently I'm not in top 10% for objective time and my win rate obviously doesn't reflect that.

What should I be doing instead?  I usually play Zarya, Junkrat, S76, Lucio, and Mercy.  Some Orisa too, typically Zarya as a secondary tank when we have a main tank already.
Shoes...

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: July 23, 2017, 08:28:54 pm »

Honestly don't listen to people who talk about how important it is to fit in the meta and just go with what you're comfortable with. All your picks are good, though people do like to hate on junkrat. As long as you swap when you're being countered, just play what makes you feel comfortable. I'd rather have a torb main play torb than force them onto a hero they can't play just because it "fits the meta". It's also food that you've got a spread across the roles. Being able to fill, especially in the solo queue world where you'll get three dps autolocks, is very handy.

Then again, I might not be the best person to listen to if I can drop 600 SR without actively trying to.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: July 23, 2017, 08:48:57 pm »

Junkrat is actually one of my most consistent winners.  not really worried about meta stuff like hero picks, I pick who I think will be good and try to react to enemy team picks, I'll drop Pharah if S76 is on the ball or something, or jump on Winston when the team can't easily contain him.  It's just that I still don't feel like I'm having enough of an impact on the game.  I really just need to find some people to group with.  Despite the salt on here I don't tend to roast people in-game, and never when I'm playing with non-randos.  I know how to behave myself.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 107