Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 107

Author Topic: Overwatch  (Read 167311 times)

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
Re: Overwatch - Released
« Reply #1020 on: October 20, 2016, 04:23:14 pm »

I'm not arguing with you on AOE ults doing good work, they work great, but you can't have them up nearly as often as nanoboost. My experience as Ana has been that it is not hard at all to keep the nanoboosted target alive as long as they keep corners in mind. If my main nano target is being stupid and dashing behind cover to die, I'll simply use nano at times when it's unlikely the target can manage it. I've played both with randoms with large skill gaps and with competitive 6-stacks, and while I have to treat engagements very differently depending on the level of communication and coordination, I've never had issues keeping nanoboosted targets alive once I see how those players use it and I'm far from being great at aiming. Somebody who's not used to playing Ana and isn't used to the level of situational awareness needed to properly support a team will probably not be able to reliably save targets with her though.

If I can communicate with my preferred nano target, I'll tell them to forget dodging most things and self-preservation in favor of dealing damage as effectively as possible. As backwards as this sounds, it makes them easier to heal and they survive better and deal more damage in the end. With around 60 hours of support under my belt I've got a good enough understanding of how most players/heroes react and move and can reliably hit them as Ana when they are mobile. I think most support mains would have also gotten used to such things and can do this easily.

The issue is that support mains are fairly rare and most people who heal usually end up doing so because nobody else picked healer and end up doing a terrible job. So I'll agree with you that in general, you won't see Anas consistently hit moving nanoboosted targets(or anyone for that matter).

Edit: Damn I write too much, sorry.
TLDR: You're right that aoe ults work well but you can't have them up as often as nanoboost. You're also right that most Anas you run into won't be able to reliably hit anyone, but any support main worth his salt will have no trouble. Good support players are just rare.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 04:28:18 pm by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: October 21, 2016, 02:48:09 pm »

I'd like to see a Reverse-Lucio antihero. A white guy with spring-boots, who can play songs that damage or slow the entire enemy team.

What anti-heroes would you make?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: October 21, 2016, 03:49:59 pm »

Most ults are not single-target. You throw out a D'va or Hanzo or McCree  ult, chances are good it's going to gank more than just the nanoboosted enemy. And I feel like you're drastically overestimating Ana's ability to consistently hit a nanoboosted target who is running around at super-speed, with enemies and allies and corners blocking your shot. Really, Ana's ult is only overpowered with a highly skilled ally and incompetent enemies. Under fair conditions, it's pretty well balanced.
The better you get the worse (non-Genji, AKA non-broken) attack/defense ults get.  Like yay you have dragonstrike... I have legs.  You have barrage... I have a gun.  To get those huge multikill ults solo isn't something that will happen reliably against good players unless you're better than them.

Pretty much the hierarchy of useful ults is: support ults>earthshatter/singularity/blizzard>everything else, with Genji being his own weird "do you have transcendence off cooldown: Y/N" checkbox.  Like you can do black hole into dragonstrike (or any other setup + execution combo) and if it works you'll get a few people but then Mercy/Zen/Lucio can come in and undo the whole thing for one ult to your two.

So, ah, anyway.  Most ults basically are single target if used without the support of other ults/Zarya bubble, if you're playing against people that pay attention.  Or you'll get two kills but trade away your own life, which is the same general thing as single target.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: October 21, 2016, 10:57:41 pm »

I'd like to see a Reverse-Lucio antihero. A white guy with spring-boots, who can play songs that damage or slow the entire enemy team.

What anti-heroes would you make?
Anti-Reaper. He gets dual sniper rifles that shoot candy.

Wait, isn't this not so much anti-heroes as nega-heroes?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: October 21, 2016, 11:10:36 pm »

Reverse Ana: has a gun that doesn't effect enemies or allies.

Wait a second...
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: October 21, 2016, 11:30:24 pm »

Wait a second...
It affects the environment. Like Mei walls, only as a primary weapon. Maybe a goop that causes a slow effect when encountered?
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: October 21, 2016, 11:45:08 pm »

Wait a second...
You mean Lucio? Huehuehuehuehue
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: October 21, 2016, 11:54:23 pm »

You kitten? Lucio's gun is pretty darn good, between the map-specific environmental kills and the easy plink-plink-plink headshots.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: October 21, 2016, 11:56:30 pm »

You kitten? Lucio's gun is pretty darn good, between the map-specific environmental kills and the easy plink-plink-plink headshots.
The boop is really good, but the damage per second is really bad. It was a joke mind you, it evens out when Lucio is jumping around like he just snorted 10 tonnes of crack, and you can't hit him while he spams his pea shooter at you.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: October 22, 2016, 01:34:43 am »

It has the same silliness as Genji's primary where its supposed to be short range but has no damage dropoff.  If you land all four bodyshots its 64 damage, so like... compare Pharah.  Its about as easy to hit with (so easier, since people won't be as dilligent about dodging) with half the dps.  Not bad for a dude that can passively heal his whole team and himself while shooting.  There's a reason it got nerfed (I think in beta but still).  His rightclicks also have instant one-hit AoE damage, which is... another silliness genji has.  Huh.  I think that mechanic is unique to those two characters.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: October 22, 2016, 01:50:04 am »

Eh, it's a really slow projectile, but the large size does make headshots pretty straightforward. I generally only get kills with it when people are distracted with someone else though.

I was joking about how little damage each shot does though (16 per shot, woah). It adds up.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: October 22, 2016, 02:49:45 pm »

Nega-Reinhardt: He runs around completely naked, throwing tiny hammers at people. He still charges at enemies, but never hits anyone because they run away screaming when they see him coming.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: October 22, 2016, 05:21:52 pm »

Nega-Reinhardt: He runs around completely naked, throwing tiny hammers at people. He still charges at enemies, but never hits anyone because they run away screaming when they see him coming.
That just sounds like Torbjorn if he took his clothes off.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: November 01, 2016, 01:46:14 am »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: November 01, 2016, 04:17:28 pm »

So that Sombra leak was definitely fake then.

Nope.

Dammit, I honestly kind of dislike the official design, but I suppose that all the fan designs were either Ana or Reaper knockoffs and so my opinions are terrible anyways.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 107