Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 107

Author Topic: Overwatch  (Read 167284 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
Re: Overwatch - Released
« Reply #1035 on: November 01, 2016, 09:48:44 pm »

It looks awesome to me.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: November 03, 2016, 06:58:20 pm »

Had an amazing game as Ana on Volskaya Industries. Roadhog on the enemy team ran into me and hooked me in the same moment that I put a sleep dart on him. Pulled me towards his sleeping body, but I could just run away and let a McCree deal with him. He started getting angry in chat, so I tried to pull off the same thing again, and actually managed to sleep him three more times while he was hooking someone. Hilarity ensued in chat.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: November 04, 2016, 02:53:53 pm »

As hard as it is for me to resist making Skyessa jokes, she actually seems cool.

https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/heroes/sombra/

Also it's interesting to have a Talon member that isn't a psychopath.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 03:02:14 pm by Cinder »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1039 on: November 04, 2016, 04:41:35 pm »

Looking for the inevitable youtube video that voices Sombra with lines from Meet the Spy.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: November 04, 2016, 05:34:13 pm »

I'm not crazy about her kit.

Teleport AND camouflage? Seems redundant. What is she going to do, flank the enemy twice? Other heroes would get the job done the first time.
And then her ultimate is just an aoe version of her Hack skill, both of which are basically just copies of Mei's gun and ultimate.
Her running stance...what's with her left hand? Honestly, who runs like that?!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1041 on: November 04, 2016, 06:42:54 pm »

I see Teleport being a mix of mobility and VERY long-range escape, while invisibility lets her get behind the lines in the first place.

The hack ability seem to disable only abilities, which I guess makes it the opposite of Mei's only-walking. Wait, how does she hack actual ghost dragons?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: November 04, 2016, 11:47:28 pm »

With a computer, obviously.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: November 05, 2016, 12:49:38 am »

So, I'm going to analyse Sombra, her kit, and her likely counters.

Translocator:
Very much reminiscent of Unreal Tournament's translocator weapon, right up to being able to teleport to it while it's still in flight. I'd see this being used as an escape tool, as her cloak is immediately canceled by damage. That said, some footage has shown that it could be used to bypass a choke point, like Volskaya last, I think? Compare this to the Spy in TF2's "Dead Ringer", as it is best used as an escape button but can also be used to flank.

SMG:
It appears to be pretty strong, from the footage shown of its use. It's quite short range, not unlike Tracer's blasters, though it has 60 rounds to Tracer's 40, and a lower fire rate. Damage is probably slightly higher to compensate. I don't see high end players relying on the SMG. Her other abilities are very much utility, and I'm pretty sure the SMG is just in so Sombra's not totally unable to attack.

Hack:
The uses of this are twofold. First, you can disable player abilities for a few seconds. This can be used to block ultimates, as was shown in the "introducing" trailer; or it can be used to assist teammates in bypassing chokes like Reinhardt and Zarya, both of which rely most significantly on their abilities to tank damage and protect team mates.

This is likely to cause Roadhog and maybe D.Va a spike in popularity, as they can tank without being reliant on shielding (D.Va because she's going to get more health in the next update, and she can *maybe* booster away before a hack completes, and Roadhog because of his sheer bulk and damage, even if he's locked out of hook or heal.)
Sombra's presence is likely to be able to remove Zarya as a must-pick, because Zarya is entirely reliant on her two abilities to put out half decent damage and protect teammates.

Additionally, I could see this hurting Zenyatta, Lucio and Mercy's viabilities: mercy's healing stream is an ability, as is Lucio's Amp It Up and Boop, and Orb of Harmony / Discord are also abilities. This would probably improve Ana usage as she is the only healer whose primary fire heals.

The other use for Hack is the ability to disable Torbjorn's turrets, as well as snatch health packs; Hacking health packs marks them as team-only and increases their spawn rate. This could be strong, though i don't think disabling health packs is going to be a particularly useful thing where healers are concerned. It's most likely to affect characters who need to flank, besides Reaper (who can heal off his kills) and Tracer (who can recall her health if she's not hacked).

Thermoptic Camo:

Speed increase, invisibility for a short time. Disrupted by self abilities, attacking, or taking damage. This is absolutely not an escape button as it is far too easily disrupted. It appears to be more useful as a method to assist flanking.

Going along with the "disrupted by damage", we can infer who will be able to "spycheck" most effectively. Mei is probably going to be her primary counter: let's say a wounded sombra cloaks and runs away; a mei could wall her in and spray with the cryo blaster, with its large hitbox and high tickrate it's likely a Sombra in the area would be revealed very fast. A frozen Sombra is a dead Sombra, and Mei's 250 HP is enough to survive a close range burst from the machine pistol. Short of having a translocation up, Sombra is useless against Mei if she's revealed.
Additionally, Winston and Symmetra, on simple account that their attacks lock on in a cone would be able to easily sweep an area. Winston's bulk likely lets him survive an encounter, while Symmetra's going to want to hang around her turrets; she just doesn't have enough bulk to do much.

This may also improve Symmetra usage if it turns out Symmetra's turrets target and reveal a cloaked Sombra. There has been no evidence to suggest this is the case, but given that Symmetra is by far the least picked hero, she needs some kind of hero to counter.

EMP (Ultimate):

This sounds, quite frankly, like an absolutely insane ult. Cloak in, get behind a defensive line, hit Q. Sorry Lucio, your ult is useless. Zarya you're now a squishy just like the rest of the cast, Zenyatta is practically dead the moment it hits.

EMP is an AOE "remove all shield and barrier in the radius and also hack opponents". While Reinhardt may not be as badly hurt by this, as he's a big healthy bloke with sizable armor and no shielding, he does lose access to his shield.
EMP will probably also block ults, or shut down channeled ones, which prevents the easy "lol transcendence" defensive ult so often seen in high level play.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: November 05, 2016, 12:51:25 am »

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: November 05, 2016, 02:49:17 am »

Hack:

Additionally, I could see this hurting Zenyatta, Lucio and Mercy's viabilities: mercy's healing stream is an ability, as is Lucio's Amp It Up and Boop, and Orb of Harmony / Discord are also abilities. This would probably improve Ana usage as she is the only healer whose primary fire heals.
I don't think the hack disables Mercy's healing beam or damage beam, it's not an ability, it's the primary and secondary fire of one of her "weapons". Lucio will still heal if he has the heal aura, but yeah, no amp it up or boop, also can't switch songs. Harmony and Discord aren't able to be sent out under hack, but if it's already applied then hacking Zenyatta won't make them come back.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: November 05, 2016, 03:00:56 am »

Well, I think I'm going to play Mei a lot once Sombra is released, just to be the fun police and so that I'll know what NOT to do when the fad dies down and I play Sombra.

Of course, Sombra might also hurt Mei a bit since Mei is a cooldown tank.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: November 05, 2016, 03:05:16 am »

Mei is already fun police tho.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: November 05, 2016, 03:34:17 am »

That's only because her counter (Pharah) is kind of underpowered.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: November 05, 2016, 04:18:54 am »

Pharah is meant to counter Mei?

I'd never have guessed. Mei is actually pretty good at scaring Pharah away with icicles.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 107