Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 107

Author Topic: Overwatch  (Read 167303 times)

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
Re: Overwatch - Released
« Reply #1005 on: October 18, 2016, 02:46:30 pm »

6v6 competitive shooter, in the vein of TF2. No story mode or anything of that sort, despite every trailer for the game implying it has a plot. :P
There is a halloween event going on, with a 4-player co-op mode where you defend against mobs.

It has a plot! Kind of. The plots all in the background and in the trailer. Rather, there's a giant background story and prequel story, but the game itself has no plot for as to why all these people are fighting.
I imagine Blizzard's going to ride the moneytrain for a couple years then when interest in Overwatch wanes, BAM! Pixar style movie prequel to an expansion pack.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: October 18, 2016, 02:57:25 pm »

There is a halloween event going on, with a 4-player co-op mode where you defend against mobs.
Sounds cool, I'm kinda looking for something like L4D.  No fuss, jump into a co-op game, shoot things then bail out when its done kinda thing.  Also without random assholes shooting the team up. 
(Though, advanced mode seems to be the sweet spot for L4D co-op... far smaller asshole rate cause its still challenging enough for things to go to hell in a handbasket.  While expert, assholes can just join and leave after throwing a molly/shooting down allies.)
Payday2 would have been great, except for the fact that I couldn't connect to more then half the games and I finally uninstalled that in frustration.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: October 18, 2016, 03:35:34 pm »

they only have co-op in halloween, there's technically coop vs AI but the AI is trivially easy, friendly fire simply does not exist

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: October 18, 2016, 03:52:19 pm »

Well, you can do co-op vs AI as a normal game mode as well. Hard AI is reasonably tough, though more due to accuracy than tactics.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: October 18, 2016, 04:29:04 pm »

Sounds cool, I'm kinda looking for something like L4D.  No fuss, jump into a co-op game, shoot things then bail out when its done kinda thing.  Also without random assholes shooting the team up. 
(Though, advanced mode seems to be the sweet spot for L4D co-op... far smaller asshole rate cause its still challenging enough for things to go to hell in a handbasket.  While expert, assholes can just join and leave after throwing a molly/shooting down allies.)
Payday2 would have been great, except for the fact that I couldn't connect to more then half the games and I finally uninstalled that in frustration.
I would recommend Warframe, but apparently that's already been done and four-player kill-'em-all/with occasional objective side orders drop-in drop-out co-op shooters aren't L4Dlike enough.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1010 on: October 18, 2016, 04:56:39 pm »

There's also the ongoing ARG catastrophe.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: October 18, 2016, 05:10:00 pm »

amomentincrime.com has finished. What's next I wonder  :-\
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: October 18, 2016, 05:11:26 pm »

6v6 competitive shooter, in the vein of TF2. No story mode or anything of that sort, despite every trailer for the game implying it has a plot. :P
I wouldn't really say in the vein of tf2.

TF2 was created as an explicitly casual shooter, which then developed a thriving competitive scene. Then valve decided to kill proper, fun, relaxed casual play in favor of more loading times and queue times.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: October 19, 2016, 02:07:32 am »

amomentincrime.com has finished. What's next I wonder  :-\
Look's like Bastion might finally have a canon interaction with another character.  E-54 is his serial number.  Maybe we'll get a new comic or, dare I say, a short.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: October 19, 2016, 04:15:54 pm »

Theorycrafting time!

So, Sombra spent a long time hacking something, then reported E-54 had been compromised. So, I'm guessing we will see a Sombra-introduction video from Blizz soon, in which E-54 gets hacked in the middle of a mission and does something ethically dubious, like possibly detonating a payload to destroy an omnium but not waiting for everyone to get clear, resulting in heavy civilian losses. This once again makes the Overwatch team look bad in the eyes of the world. Afterwards, the Overwatch team counter-hack and manage to extract E-54's mind, and upload it to a new body.

In the game, this takes the form of the classic Bastion getting his skills revamped and being re-labeled as Sombra. E-54 is introduced as a new hero, Bastion-2.0.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: October 19, 2016, 06:27:25 pm »

Theorycrafting time!

So, Sombra spent a long time hacking something, then reported E-54 had been compromised. So, I'm guessing we will see a Sombra-introduction video from Blizz soon, in which E-54 gets hacked in the middle of a mission and does something ethically dubious, like possibly detonating a payload to destroy an omnium but not waiting for everyone to get clear, resulting in heavy civilian losses. This once again makes the Overwatch team look bad in the eyes of the world. Afterwards, the Overwatch team counter-hack and manage to extract E-54's mind, and upload it to a new body.

In the game, this takes the form of the classic Bastion getting his skills revamped and being re-labeled as Sombra. E-54 is introduced as a new hero, Bastion-2.0.
Sounds good, but I'm not sure that in the lore Bastion actually helps Overwatch. Pretty sure he's just wandering about the world admiring nature with his child-like curiosity.

There seems to have been an addition to the ARG though. Sometimes Bastion has a blinking thing on one of his skins/emotes (I forget which), and people are translating the morse code into binary messages. That might be the hacking that Sombra refers to. Only time will tell.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 05:36:56 pm by King Kitteh »
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: October 20, 2016, 12:59:10 pm »

One thing I hope Sombra gets in her kit is an ability capable of blocking/removing buffs/debuffs/special states on enemies and/or allies. Or some sort of long crowd control like Ana's sleep dart because currently there aren't any really good options to counter Ana's nanoboost aside from another Ana's sleep dart or a wasted Graviton Surge.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: October 20, 2016, 02:05:15 pm »

there aren't any really good options to counter Ana's nanoboost aside from another Ana's sleep dart or a wasted Graviton Surge.

Literally any crowd-control or high-damage option will counter a nanoboost. You can push them with a Reinhardt rush, stun them with Reinhardt ult, hook them with a Roadhog and shoot them before they recover, freeze or wall them with Mei, bear-trap them with Junkrat, blast them off a cliff with Lucio Pharah Roadhog or Winston, burn them down with any dps ult...tons of effective options.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: October 20, 2016, 03:34:26 pm »

A long-distance Reinhardt charge can last long-enough to work and depending on positioning a Mei wall will do the job too, the rest either simply won't work, are too situational, or are way more valuable/costly than nanoboost. I main support with 38 hours on Ana and I can tell you damage is never the answer to a nanoboost. Between the 50% damage reduction, the boost to healing from heal grenade, and Ana's base heal per second of 83.33, you need to pour 333dps into the nano target just to match the healing and that's not taking armor into consideration. Focusing the nano target is also bad because there are still 4 other heroes attacking your team. A Reinhardt Ult can be useful since it will crowd control more than just the nano target and let you take out its healer, the stun time on the nano target shaves away at its duration, but often there's enough time left on it for nano to net a couple kills depending on the hero since it lasts 8 seconds. When a bear trap gets a Reinhardt, it can do some work, but chances are the hammer spam will take the trap out since it can't be placed reactively, it has an activation delay. Any ranged hero with a shred of awareness will destroy or avoid the trap.

There are ways to deal with a nanoboosted hero, but aside from a sleep dart or a situational Mei wall, almost all viable(most crowd control is way too short) options have too high of an opportunity cost and leave your team at a disadvantage for that fight and likely for the next few fights too since Nanoboost is just about the easiest ult to charge up and will be up almost every time.

Edit: Another interesting thing Sombra could have in her kit as a sort of crowd-control is something that disables enemy weapons so they can't attack for the duration but still move around.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 03:51:08 pm by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: October 20, 2016, 03:45:27 pm »

Most ults are not single-target. You throw out a D'va or Hanzo or McCree  ult, chances are good it's going to gank more than just the nanoboosted enemy. And I feel like you're drastically overestimating Ana's ability to consistently hit a nanoboosted target who is running around at super-speed, with enemies and allies and corners blocking your shot. Really, Ana's ult is only overpowered with a highly skilled ally and incompetent enemies. Under fair conditions, it's pretty well balanced.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 107