Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 44

Author Topic: Battlewagon Sicily - Previously: Hull 101  (Read 48701 times)

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battlewagon Sicily - Previously: Hull 101
« Reply #375 on: April 02, 2015, 03:46:01 am »

Why the name Sicily?
Is it the codename for a battle or for a specific event?
Or was the name part of a fleet with similar names (Lombardy, Tuscany, Sardinia, Apulia and so on)?

It could be important in order to understand whether there are more powerful ships Chell would want to find
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: April 02, 2015, 05:29:40 am »

> Fabricate a few hundred thousand milimeter-scale surveillance satellites and "shotgun" launch them using the railgun, slingshoting around some outer planet to blanket the system.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: April 02, 2015, 08:27:45 am »

> Fabricate a few hundred thousand milimeter-scale surveillance satellites and "shotgun" launch them using the railgun, slingshoting around some outer planet to blanket the system.
Unnecessary, there is only one inhabited planet in the system. Otherwise any contacts do not seem to have sufficient concealment capacity to hide from our sensors. Any of these plans involving creating thousands of drones will be inefficient compared to just using carefully aimed shots (or maybe adwarf's boarding drone idea) in order to leave the enemy fleet mostly salvageable.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: April 02, 2015, 08:38:52 am »

ok, clarification: the idea is these form one big sensor *constellation*. The numbers aren't to look at many things, they are to offset each individual one being really cheap and crap. in regards to that, these hundred thousand chips will weight and cost less than a single humanoid 'bot, in case that wasn't clear. Ever heard of a phased array telescope?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: April 02, 2015, 11:05:43 am »

----------so curent plan seems to be along the lines of

Analysis:
1. Pacify/neutralize FWA fleet
-- Simple given technology gap between the FWA and Dynasty tech. Only decision is how much information to absorb from FWA fleet before slagging/repurposing. Concur with processor GiglameshDespair that efficiency is preferable to more elaborate schemes.

2. Retrieve research outpost Zed-12 from polar region.
-- Hull 101 is impervious to any weapons available to the PAL, so worst case, drop the Hull, slag the base, and abscond with the outpost.

3. Secure the loyalty of all inhabitants of local life-bearing world designated Iagh.
 a. Eliminate any population who resist. Loyalty must be 100%.
 b. Ensure that the local population are restricted to the planet's surface and have no orbit-capable craft.
 c. Begin restructuring of local populace to an agrarian society. Maximum priority: farmable organic foodstuffs for offworld export
-- Currently, Sicilyand Hull 101 excel at breaking things with excessive force. Any military resistance could be destroyed relatively quickly. However, the requirement of 100% loyalty indicates that creating significant resentment in population would be counterproductive to long term goals. Of special concern is that the PAL is fighting for freedom from the FWA, indicating they are unlikely to respond well to a heavy handed mandate for transfer of authority.

While the Dynasty (presumably) couldn't care less about how happy the citizens of Iagh are if they do their job, the desire to set the planet up as a bread basket means that extra care must be taken to ensure that no significant damage is caused to the planets ecosystem by PAL resistance to our forces(ex, nuclear weapons).

Additionally, the PAL seems to be very interested in the Dynasty, or at least their technology.
Suggestion: Use the mystique surrounding our civilization and technology as a diplomatic tool.

Suggested course of action: Have EWAR broadcast a message to the surface of Iagh on all channels previously noted as being in use. Indicate that we are an automated defense/governance system of Dynasty origin that was accidentally activated by the PAL, and that we are purging hostile forces (FWA) from the system. Explain that in order to defend the system as intended, all manned orbital activities will need to be restricted temporarily. Offer Dynasty tech for Medical/Agrarian purposes, and steer policy through these gifts towards increased/higher quality production of foodstuffs. Requesting Zed-12 under the pretense of restoring operational efficiency more effectively should also be an easy sell, given the simultaneous offer of Dynasty tech.

Worst case scenario we are forced to initiate a full hostile takeover of Iagh, best case, the PAL sees the writing on the wall and transitions into a ready-made provincial government, significantly reducing the amount of time needed to subdue the planet, and preventing the chance of damaging the ecosystem through an extended asymmetrical war. Since any technology offered would be for peaceful purposes, it's unlikely that resistance would be strengthened through these actions, even if the diplomacy route fails.
+1 to this and drone swarm as back up

Do this stuff and create

guys keep in mind...wait...keep what....oh right forgot what I was going to say for a moment.

we need to be prepared, and we also need to impress the enemy. here is what im thinking

seeing as how the parasite ships don't seem to actually parasite anything....

lets make a sort of drone that does.

we can make a space flight capable drone. and equip It with a bunch of waldo units and other things that allow harvesting and construction, the sort of rearrangement and harvesting powers we had when in hull 101.

then the drones latch on to the ships.

the waldo units and its other harvesting/constructing systems, then link it to the ship. spreading through its walls and components, using the material already on the ship. if it needs more units it can make those.

it connects wires to there computer systems. can turn doors into solid metal walls. the units could even deconstruct the pilots weapons or even the pilots themselves, if the get to annoying.

of course, assimilation plans like this tend to backfire. does not matter if its si-fy or medieval fantasy, it back fires.

but knowing that we can fix that.......

we have all the data flow routed through the drone unit before it goes to us. we set up a good fire wall. and once all the ships are assimilated we can totally wipe the systems, in fact, have the walod units completely deconstruct all the storage drives and make new ones.

it might all seem a bit cliché but lets face it, its effective, the physiological terror of having the very walls and systems turn against you/or you soldiers. will greatly increase odds of them surrendering, and its just plain cool.

these as a backup plan.

And do this to keep an eye on the entire system. Right?

Let's Just do all that. It's efective and we got resources to spare. Oh and use the transhammer to finish fixing hull 101
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 11:08:09 am by endlessblaze »
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

thedrelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: April 02, 2015, 11:54:54 am »

What about a hostile takeover of the fleet?

could Ewar just break into the ship systems, lock out control, and open all airlocks? if that would work, we could commandeer an entire remote fleet. once cleared of crew, drones could be sent to install command modules to slave the ships to sicily

If that were to fail, we could fall back on elimination by force.
*scribble scribble*

Yes?

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: April 02, 2015, 11:56:14 am »

why don't we save the planet from the ships. Then the population will like us and willingly let us take control.

We should also make up an Organization name to seem more legit.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: April 02, 2015, 12:05:14 pm »

What about a hostile takeover of the fleet?

could Ewar just break into the ship systems, lock out control, and open all airlocks? if that would work, we could commandeer an entire remote fleet. once cleared of crew, drones could be sent to install command modules to slave the ships to sicily

If that were to fail, we could fall back on elimination by force.

This is kinda what the drones would do, except the drones take control of the systems AND the ships themselves.

Remember how we could redecorate our insides as hull 101? Rearranging ourselves to suit us and later our pilot.

The drones essentialy weaponize that by forcibly altering the ship however we want. This could be used to open a hole to drop out the crew. Trap them. DECONSTRUCT THERE BODIES PAINFULLY! (Like we did early on when we first awoke) turn the entire ship into a death trap of shifting hallways, and traps. USE YOUR IMAGINATION!

And as a bonus! It will connect to the systems of the ship as you suggest. The drone is the enslaveing module you speak of.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: April 02, 2015, 01:34:29 pm »

why don't we save the planet from the ships. Then the population will like us and willingly let us take control.
I was just about to say this. We can rebuild the dynasty as a more benevolent culture. Maybe we can elevate their technology as well? Wait, I just realized that we can't let them reach space. Can we get them to promise to not go to space if we elevate their medicine and such? Can we appeal to their religion(s)?

I wonder... can we round the compliant population to 100%? Like, if the dissident population is 0.3%, can we round that to zero? If they don't know about us, can we assume that they like us by default?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 09:41:59 am by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #384 on: April 02, 2015, 01:42:53 pm »

CentCom breaks into the conversation

Attention subprocesses:

There has been a lot of good discussion but we will need to act soon. Logistics is standing by to implement any plan of action we come up with.

If you wish to perpetrate some kind of ruse we will need details, for example. Who shall we pretend to be, and what shall we say (you can paraphrase, I will expand upon your idea).

As for our objectives, the only important things are:

The local society is reallocated towards producing farmable exportable produce/foodstuffs
The local populace is nominally loyal to the Dynasty, through whatever ruse or guise we utilize
The local populace has no access to space- or orbit-capable technology. Standard operating procedure is to establish a protected spaceport landing site where the population delivers the exported goods and our own vessel lands to retrieve it. No technology is permitted to reside on the planet which could allow the locals to become space-faring.

Beyond those parameters, we do not particularly care if they are hyper-zealous, dystopian, imperialistic, culturally backwards or whatever.

For now no export target has been set, we are simply instructed to begin restructuring the society. Later I have no doubt that specific targets will be set.

In effect, we have been appointed as military governor of this entire star system and told that our one habitable world must be made compliant and ready to export vast quantities of food.

If you have specific questions for Chell, I will ask.

That is all.

((I don't have time for a full update now but will likely do one tomorrow. It would be helpful if you guys could count up votes for all proposed plans so I can implement the  majority vote))

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: April 02, 2015, 02:03:05 pm »

I think, that we might be able to utilize this enemy fleet after all. Cause a Kessler Syndrome. Hull metal should have no problem, but nothing they have will be able to get through.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: April 02, 2015, 02:03:15 pm »

((I would but I'm busy and wold mess up anyways. I do know however that my drone plan has some support as a backup or even main plan))

Guys lets just do the drones..

Use the drones, scare and traumatize the pilots, then kill them in a very painful and gruesome way (deconstruction by Waldo units) take a video of all this.

Send video to the planet, with the message "submit to us or suffer the same fate"

If they don't submit make good on that promise, leaving only those that submit alive. 

Quick, simple, and effective.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: April 02, 2015, 02:07:32 pm »

We don't need the enemy fleet for anything. They are, in fact, useless to us. We don't even need the FTL drive, as we don't have hullmetal to produce any worthy combat-ships of our own, or any additional intelligences to run autonomous warships.

We seem to have the most votes for obliterating the enemy fleet.

I recommend we then broadcast to the planet for the enemy to surrender. We gather them in one place and destroy them with either a single strike.

((I would but I'm busy and wold mess up anyways. I do know however that my drone plan has some support as a backup or even main plan))

Guys lets just do the drones..

Use the drones, scare and traumatize the pilots, then kill them in a very painful and gruesome way (deconstruction by Waldo units) take a video of all this.

Send video to the planet, with the message "submit to us or suffer the same fate"

If they don't submit make good on that promise, leaving only those that submit alive. 

Quick, simple, and effective.
It is none of those things. One: it's uncertain they even can deconstruct things in that manner. Taking control of a ship's systems doesn't turn it into the Event Horizon.
Two: it's far more complicated than "Shoot 'em."
Three: if it does have the effect you want, it'd produce widescale panic at the eldritch murder-ship that just showed up. A smooth transistion is much more effective. We can already adequately demonstrate our power by destorying the fleet.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: April 02, 2015, 02:14:46 pm »

1. WE deconstructed things in that manner useing Waldo units
And  Actualy when you take into account the favor for it has as a backup to diplomacy it...it's....how many votes, I forget.

2.whats more impressive? Casually obliterating a entire fleet in a few seconds or, casually turning that fleet into a horrible death trap for its crew and turning it on its owners, warping the ship itself and...wel you get the idea.

3. And shooting them will casue less riots than my idea? If anything the sheer crushing terror my idea will casue will make them bow all the sooner.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: April 02, 2015, 02:39:40 pm »

2.whats more impressive? Casually obliterating a entire fleet in a few seconds or, casually turning that fleet into a horrible death trap for its crew and turning it on its owners, warping the ship itself and...wel you get the idea.

3. And shooting them will casue less riots than my idea? If anything the sheer crushing terror my idea will casue will make them bow all the sooner.
They kind of would need to see the terror first. It's kind of hard to do that when the terror is happening far, far away in space.

So yeah, shoot them.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 44