Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 44

Author Topic: Battlewagon Sicily - Previously: Hull 101  (Read 48678 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Hull 101
« Reply #165 on: March 18, 2015, 05:36:09 pm »

I'd be okay with raiding the ship at sea, if our mobility is capable of arranging that. I believe our primary engines would accomplish it easily, were they online. I'm under the impression that our secondary propulsion is limited to terrestrial and subterrainian movement, however. Am I correct in assuming that we cannot navigate in marine and submarine mode at this time?

((I apologize if this has already been addressed, i read it all in one go today, and forgot some stuff))

Edit: oh perhaps we should list all Dynasty installations on the planet and their supposed priority as military targets to determine which are most likely to have survived the H.E.L.L bombardment in sufficient state for us to gather useful stuff/info from. That way, we can avoid too much unnecessary travel. We can check our installed maps with current maps from the current inhabitants to determine terrain changes - in particular to locate craters let by orbital bombardment. this could help eliminate some sites from our list of potentials. I'd hate to track all the way to the other side of the planet, only to be met with a massive hole full of nothing of interest.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 05:42:55 pm by Ozarck »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 18, 2015, 07:32:52 pm »

What's the plausibility of using Hull 101 itself as an GTO Projectile? Based on the numerous mentions of spaceflight and similar, what would be the likelyhood of survival/potential damage if we used ourselves as a kinetic weapon to smash through the enemy space assets. And what would require repairing in order to do so?

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 18, 2015, 07:45:05 pm »

What's the plausibility of using Hull 101 itself as an GTO Projectile? Based on the numerous mentions of spaceflight and similar, what would be the likelyhood of survival/potential damage if we used ourselves as a kinetic weapon to smash through the enemy space assets. And what would require repairing in order to do so?

Based on what assets we've been given access to, I'd guess that'd take primary propulsion with more power; i.e. our primary power source or another way of accumulating power (Such as the low-efficiency high-output (LEHO) Source suggested and planned for now).
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!
Products of my Boredom (Old)
Quote from: Shawtay
Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person.
When in doubt, Apply Magma

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 18, 2015, 07:46:54 pm »

Can we have a list of all systems and their use/functionality/status/estimates for repair time and cost?

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 19, 2015, 07:40:11 am »

Hmm, something is not adding up about our cognition. Humans seem to be at least sub-sentient, but doing that with less than a millionth the volume and a billionth the energy requirements. Why are we so inefficient?

Hmm, similar to the LEHO, what are our chances of getting a makeshift Orion type drive to work? ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orion_%28nuclear_propulsion%29 )

> OBJECTIVE: construct a sealed environment with life support inside the hull, and capture some locals for study and interrogation.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #170 on: March 19, 2015, 07:57:55 am »

However...congOS can you give an estimate of what could possibly bring down or overthrow the dynasty? And what is the probblity of such a thing happening in our absence?

Something about all this does not feel right, my circuits tremble at the thought that we might not have any allies left...
Ending the Dynasty would require a force or entity with superior technology and tactics. I do not know of any such group or entity. 10,000 years is a long time, however. It is conceivable that the Dynasty eventually discovered something more powerful than themselves.

Consensus seems to be that raiding the ship at sea would be ideal, but not once it is in port. Some also favor heading to the polar research base. I have prepared plans for both contengencies.

Concerns about maneuvering underwater are noted. Hull 101 is not a conventional submersible vehicle but can withstand the pressures involved and maneuver on the ocean floor. If we can manage to sink the vessel then we may take our time with salvage operations. It is possible that the natives of this world have submarines capable of reaching those depths but they would be little threat.

Edit: oh perhaps we should list all Dynasty installations on the planet and their supposed priority as military targets to determine which are most likely to have survived the H.E.L.L bombardment in sufficient state for us to gather useful stuff/info from. That way, we can avoid too much unnecessary travel. We can check our installed maps with current maps from the current inhabitants to determine terrain changes - in particular to locate craters let by orbital bombardment. this could help eliminate some sites from our list of potentials. I'd hate to track all the way to the other side of the planet, only to be met with a massive hole full of nothing of interest.
Very little usually survives a HELL class bombardment on the side of the planet facing the local star, and after that planetary storms will rage for decades across the face of the world. All surviving Dynasty facilities are likely buried or in some stage of ruin.

In addition, this world was not an important location for Dynasty operations. The anchorage and FtMccrag were the primary facilities on the planet. FtMccrag was a Hull refit/rearm outpost while the Anchorage was a small spaceport servicing small spacegoing vessels and acting as the primary point for supplies transfer to the natives. Once a planet joins the Dynasty it is, by and large, autonomous provided it makes all required tribute payments via the provided spaceport. The research facility at the pole is a Dynasty outpost studying some kind of anomalous fluctuation in the planet's magnetosphere. It was crewed by 4 people full time and contained a subsentient research assistant.

There is a fourth listing in my database but it has no name or serial number associated. This may be due to the missing records and storage disks. I do have a location, but the most likely scenario is that this site was abandoned long before Hull 101 arrived on planet. The site is on a continent in the southern hemisphere. It would require several weeks travel along the bottom of the ocean to reach.

Without information on the fleet in orbit it is hard to answer this question. Against a Dynasty fleet of the detected tonnage, Hull 101 would be obliterated. If these ships are ITL-5 or early ITL-6 then it is very likely that we would easily destroy them.

I will remind you that we have no orbital lift capability at this time. We would need to repair both primary power and the C-D Engines.

Can we have a list of all systems and their use/functionality/status/estimates for repair time and cost?
With proper materials, all repairs could be completed in approximately 13 hours. Systems status was reported recently. I will reiterate:
Code: [Select]
Status Report Primary Systems

Cognition: Online/Available
Logistics: Online/Available
Primary Propulsion: Offline/Unavailable
Primary Power: Offline/Unavailable
CCC: Online/Available
Combat Tactical: Offline/Unavailable
Combat Strategic: Online/Available 38% degraded
Combat Suborbital: Offline/Unavailable

Status Report Secondary Systems:

APDS: Online/Available 13% degraded
MCP: Online/Available
Defense Screens: Online/Available 22% degraded
Active Armor: Online/Available
Secondary Propulsion: Online/Available
Secondary Power: Operational 2% degraded

Hmm, something is not adding up about our cognition. Humans seem to be at least sub-sentient, but doing that with less than a millionth the volume and a billionth the energy requirements. Why are we so inefficient?

Hmm, similar to the LEHO, what are our chances of getting a makeshift Orion type drive to work? ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orion_%28nuclear_propulsion%29 )

> OBJECTIVE: construct a sealed environment with life support inside the hull, and capture some locals for study and interrogation.

Baseline Humans are classified as sentient by their own definition but are not capable of true cognition as defined by Dynasty standards. Augmented humanoid minds may reach subsentient cognition but such required a substantial reconfiguration of neural pathways and cybernetic augmentation. True sentient cognition, by Dynasty standards, occurs only in battleminds which are housed in small planetoids.

Your objective request is interesting. I have begin modification of the interior compartments within Hull 101...

Break-Break

All stop. Suspend all operations.

Hull 101 grinds to a sudden halt within the depths of the earth

Something has been discovered. Priority 1 override.

A Pilot is aboard.

CCC advise.

--CCC ONLINE--

AKNOWLEDGE
INTERROGATING SYSTEMS
VERIFY
PILOT STATUS GRANTED
VERIFY
COMMAND VERIFICATION UNAVAILABLE
FALLBACK TO SECONDARY VERIFICATION PROTOCOL
PILOT STATUS VERIFIED VIA ONBOARD RECORDS
IAN MCCAEL -- 42 YEARS BIOLOGICAL -- PILOT STATUS -- COMMANDER, LIEUTENANT
DYNASTY PERSONNEL RECORDS UNSEALED
MEDAL FOR VALOR, MEDAL FOR GOOD CONDUCT, MEDAL FOR PERFORMANCE ABOVE AND BEYOND THE CALL OF DUTY IN LYREAN CAMPAIGNS

---

PILOT IS IN STASIS
READINGS NORMAL
SYSTEMS OPERATIONAL
COGNOS INITIATE PILOT REVIVAL

--CCC OFFLINE--

CognOS is back online. I am ready to initiate revival of LTC McCael.

>_

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 19, 2015, 09:03:16 am »

retrive. Be cautious, this may be a trap.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 19, 2015, 09:03:39 am »

>Continue towards the ship and salvage its cargo if it is reached fast enough.
>If the ship arrives into port then ignore it and continue towards research station.
>Check our inferior and spotty logs: When did the pilot enter into stasis?
>How soon the pilot will be functional?
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #173 on: March 19, 2015, 09:31:58 am »

Revival in progress. Medical systems report that LTC McCael is in good health.

It is unusual for a Pilot to be aboard a Hull under stand-down maintenance//storage orders.

I am bringing internal security systems online. CCC has verified that the cybernetic systems in the human are indeed Dynasty issue and have responded with all appropriate fleet coding for a Pilot's rank/privilege. Such codes could be faked, but whoever is in the stasis capsule has been there for a very long time.

Internal video feed engaged.

A shadowy video feed pops up showing a shiny silver pill-shaped capsule being lifted from a cradle by two mechanical arms. Nearby several other fabrication systems are busy, a whirlwind of activity as systems are displaced to make room for a habitation compartment. Readouts on the video feed indicate atmospheric pressure rising towards human normal. A medical scanner hangs down from the ceiling, aimed at the capsule, pulsing it with red light as the sensors monitor the Pilot.

I should note that all Dynasty autonomous systems rated subsentient or lower are obligated to obey the orders of Fleet personnel so long as doing so will not adversely affect mission status.

On the video feed, the capsule cracks open. White light spills out, highlighting the insectile mechanical arms hanging from every surface. CognOS seems to realize that this would probably not be a welcoming site, so panels extrude and snap closed on all sides forming a small room. A bench and chair are extruded from the floor as well. The capsule is reclined to form a bed as the doors are opened and removed. A human lies there in a Dynasty uniform, rank insignia indicates that it is a Lieutenant Commander as expected. The form is androgynous, but this does not surprise you. Fleet personnel give up all biological gender for as long as they are serving the Dynasty's military.

Medical systems indicate that Pilot is in good health but has suffered several lacerations and a concussion prior to stasis. Medical care is underway. I have resumed course towards the ocean. Pilot recovery is estimated at 12 hours, give or take. Pilot internal cybernetic systems are more advanced than expected, so recovery may be accelerated.

I have confiscated and rendered inoperable a small sidearm until Pilot's status can be absolutely verified.

We will arrive at the continental coastline in one hour. Interception of the ship will take place 3.2 hours after that. Once in open water, Hull 101 will be able to achieve much higher rate of speed.

Sinking the ship will be trivial to accomplish, it is not a combat capable vessel but a civilian cargo transporter. I have already had logistics fabricate several torpedoes from primitive materials which should accomplish the task.

>_

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 19, 2015, 09:36:09 am »

So wait, was guy underground?, I think my circuits as still a bit scrambled, I missing some of this information...

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 19, 2015, 09:38:43 am »

I suggest preparing the machinery needed for separating then storing the water we will soon be abundantly supplied with. This will have the two-fold effect of acquiring fuel for the Plasma Soliton Furnace, once built, and providing oxygen for our pilot (I assume (s)he needs oxygen?)

Pilot was always inside us somewhere, we just only noticed now.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 19, 2015, 09:41:55 am »

>Why are you bolding your words? Trying to tell us something?
>Anyway, about those advanced cybernetic systems, did those exist during time when we were shut down? Or were those limited to higher ranks than s/he?
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 19, 2015, 09:45:09 am »

Oh....silly me. Hay congOS would you run a diagnostics on me while we travel. I keep missing some of this information. Might want to check the others as well just in case.

Also I think we should look through the rest of the hull,  if we missed a pilot inside of us the entire time. who knows what else we may have missed.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #178 on: March 19, 2015, 09:50:25 am »

>Why are you bolding your words? Trying to tell us something?
((mostly just to break up the walls of text and make it slightly more visually appealing since I have no pictures.))

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 19, 2015, 09:54:23 am »

This is great! A pilot's flexibility is EXACTLY what's needed to deal with CCC!

> Prepare luxury living quarter and a multimedia presentation summarizing everything that has happened since we woke up, including the internal software control and priority issues of not being set up for this type of situation as noted by EWAR.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 44