Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 44

Author Topic: Battlewagon Sicily - Previously: Hull 101  (Read 48700 times)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: Hull 101
« Reply #180 on: March 19, 2015, 10:10:00 am »

>Why are you bolding your words? Trying to tell us something?
((mostly just to break up the walls of text and make it slightly more visually appealing since I have no pictures.))
((Ah, I was hoping for IC reason/answer, but...))
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #181 on: March 19, 2015, 10:40:47 am »

So wait, was guy underground?, I think my circuits as still a bit scrambled, I missing some of this information...
Pilot has been inside Hull 101 this entire time. The stasis pod was not integrated into our systems and was not reporting status or readiness, but it read as Dynasty tech so no alerts were triggered. I discovered it when expanding the standard hab space where it had been lodged. The pod has an independent low yield long duration power supply.

I suggest preparing the machinery needed for separating then storing the water we will soon be abundantly supplied with. This will have the two-fold effect of acquiring fuel for the Plasma Soliton Furnace, once built, and providing oxygen for our pilot (I assume (s)he needs oxygen?)

Agreed, and such equipment is already being fabricated as part of the life support system being put in place. I have completed a small living quarters for Pilot plus a sealed environment holding area for up to 8 baseline humans.

>Anyway, about those advanced cybernetic systems, did those exist during time when we were shut down? Or were those limited to higher ranks than s/he?

My assumption would be that this human entered Hull 101 at some point significantly later than our stand-down order. The systems are more advanced than Dynasty technology on file, significantly so, similar to how the tech cache we found was more advanced. Small refinements in technology which one would expect from a few decades or centuries of advancement. This human could be from a time 100 or even 1000 years after we went into storage. We simply won't know until we revive it.

Also I think we should look through the rest of the hull,  if we missed a pilot inside of us the entire time. who knows what else we may have missed.

Fair point. I have initiated a full diagnostic/interrogation routine of all systems as well as visual inspection. Hull 101 is vast and may contain other surprises. Such an inspection will take some time but will be complete before we enter the ocean.

This is great! A pilot's flexibility is EXACTLY what's needed to deal with CCC!

> Prepare luxury living quarter and a multimedia presentation summarizing everything that has happened since we woke up, including the internal software control and priority issues of not being set up for this type of situation as noted by EWAR.

Hm. Luxury living quarters?

Searching through documentation on human taste preferences...

...the information is varied and somewhat contradictory.

The one common thread seems to be more space and good lighting. I have extended the living quarters out another 40% and added soft contours, lighting which approximates a natural sunny terrestrial day, and a window view of green fields. It should be a fair approximation of a terrestrial dwelling. EWAR is working on a multimedia presentation of our current status.

Interestingly enough, Dynasty records indicate that while Hull units are fully autonomous and do not require a human presence aboard, Hulls with a human Pilot have consistently outperformed fully autonomous counterparts by 10%-15%. There is some unquantifiable benefit to having a Pilot onboard which, in our era at least, the Dynasty had not yet been able to recreate artificially.

---

Logistics Alert - Inert Object located in secondary storage.

Logistics systems have discovered an inert object composed of an unknown substance in secondary storage while conducting visual inspection. This object has fingerprints and residue from Pilot on surface. Likely that it was stowed here by Pilot prior to entering stasis. The object is stowed properly in hazardous material locker 723 behind shielded materials. Object is emitting no discernable EM radiation and has no detectable power source. Object is a cube, 32mm on each side, composed of an unknown crystalline material which is opaque to all sensors.

>_

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 19, 2015, 10:51:29 am »

>exec ./Congratulations.Hull

>Posting To Watch
>Great Game!
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 19, 2015, 11:04:42 am »

My theory is that our pilot was fleeing the HELL bombardment and sought refuge within Hull 101. (S)he wil thusl hopefully be able to fill some of the gaps in our memory.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 19, 2015, 11:09:43 am »

Well, since we are providing the pod with power now, just look at it's fuel source. We should be able to estimate efficiency and fuel useage, so that allows us to find how long it has been operating.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 19, 2015, 11:26:31 am »

We are resistant to pressure and water, it is possible that Dynasty cashe on ship does not share same properties.
Reccomendation: Construct waterborne drone for safe retrieval of cashe.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

thedrelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 19, 2015, 11:58:48 am »

Can we assemble a drone capable of capturing crew of the ship before we sink it? if we sink it directly, all hands may be killed, and we will lose an opportunity to capture humans who may even know whats going on, given their proximity to dynasty tech.

when will the pilot be conscious again?

also, is there any way to link up with the stasis pod to get the details of it's runtime? we are not connected now, but I would expect we can find out exactly when it was activated if we can access it.

*scribble scribble*

Yes?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #187 on: March 19, 2015, 12:33:20 pm »

>exec ./Congratulations.Hull

>Posting To Watch
>Great Game!
((Thanks!!))

Well, since we are providing the pod with power now, just look at it's fuel source. We should be able to estimate efficiency and fuel useage, so that allows us to find how long it has been operating.
also, is there any way to link up with the stasis pod to get the details of it's runtime? we are not connected now, but I would expect we can find out exactly when it was activated if we can access it.

Examination of the pod is in progress. Logistics reports that the power source is still operative but is an unfamiliar design, likely some sort of long term emergency battery. It has all of the design specifications unique to Dynasty technology but nothing like it exists in Hull 101's records. The pod is a standard crew stasis pod.

Analysis of the pod indicates that it was constructed from Hull 101's onboard resources by our own fabrication plant. It would see that Pilot brought partial power online at some point during stand-down operations, had this stasis pod fabricated, and then sealed itself in. There is no log of this event. This would indicate an intimate working knowledge of Hull 101's systems and Dynasty technology.

My theory is that our pilot was fleeing the HELL bombardment and sought refuge within Hull 101. (S)he wil thusl hopefully be able to fill some of the gaps in our memory.

This seems likely. While analysis of the pod is ongoing, initial indications are that it has been in continuous operation for more than 8700 years. We have a new datapoint to establish our timeline.

What we know so far:

Year -10000 - Hull 101 enters stand-down maintenance//storage state. During this period the Dynasty was not involved in any major conflicts.
Year -8700 - Pilot entered Hull 101 and placed itself in Stasis.
Year Uncertain (-8700 to -500) Hell class bombardment strikes this world.

At some point between Year -10000 and now, a HELL class bombardment was performed on this world resulting in severe damage/destruction to Hull 101 and all other surface features. Given the normal recovery time for a HELL class bombardment, this could not have happened within the last 500 years. In theory it could have happened before Pilot sealed itself within Hull 101 but it is unlikely as Hull 101 would have at that point been buried and damaged.

Can we assemble a drone capable of capturing crew of the ship before we sink it? if we sink it directly, all hands may be killed, and we will lose an opportunity to capture humans who may even know whats going on, given their proximity to dynasty tech.

when will the pilot be conscious again?

We will encounter the ship well before the Pilot is estimated to regain consciousness. Long term stasis is very hard on the human body, and significant biological repairs are underway. The Pilot's cybernetics are assisting and are currently under the control of Medical.

We can easily fabricate a drone capable of surface operation to capture the ship's crew. We currently have room for 8 baseline humans. More than this would require significant internal reconfiguration. Should we make the effort, or will 8 suffice?

>_

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 19, 2015, 01:12:07 pm »

Asymmetrical warfare advisor Nullius online.

Assertion: Disruption of enemy intelligence is paramount
Assertion: All actions since beginning of current activation cycle have been executed with lethal force
Recommendation: Arm capture drones with non-lethal weaponry, seize four hostiles for interrogation, leave non-prisoners alive to disrupt data trend
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 19, 2015, 01:23:45 pm »

Recommendation: Arm capture drones with non-lethal weaponry, seize four hostiles for interrogation, leave non-prisoners alive to disrupt data trend
+1

In addition, see if we can construct a tiny stealth drone to spy on and analyze speech patterns on the non-captive humans, to more quickly assimilate their language.
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!
Products of my Boredom (Old)
Quote from: Shawtay
Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person.
When in doubt, Apply Magma

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 19, 2015, 02:19:00 pm »

You're losing sight of the main objective, which is capturing the cache. We can't do this without quicky sinking the ship. Sink it slowly, and they will evacuate it together with the crew. Stealing the cache specifically will inform them of what we're after which would be bad and is thus not acceptable.

Suggestion : Torpedo the vessel so that it sinks rapidly, recover cache and up to 4 survivors, if any remain.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 19, 2015, 02:24:32 pm »

That's kind of the entire point of asymmetrical warfare, you intentionally do things in an unbalanced fashion to mess with the other sides attempts to predict your actions.  As well as use abnormal means to accomplish your goals.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 19, 2015, 02:27:45 pm »

You're losing sight of the main objective, which is capturing the cache. We can't do this without quicky sinking the ship. Sink it slowly, and they will evacuate it together with the crew. Stealing the cache specifically will inform them of what we're after which would be bad and is thus not acceptable.

Suggestion : Torpedo the vessel so that it sinks rapidly, recover cache and up to 4 survivors, if any remain.

I'm in agreement with this. We don't really need additional humans onboard and having to procure sustenance for them.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 19, 2015, 02:35:28 pm »

However, appearing to have rational thought processes may assist us should we ever have to communicate with the current residents of this world or the fleet above. If they just think we're an insane death machine, they won't even try.

Destruction of civilians has been recorded to often have negative effects on military personell. When the pilot wakes up, their stress levels should be reduced as much as possible.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 19, 2015, 02:47:03 pm »

However, appearing to have rational thought processes may assist us should we ever have to communicate with the current residents of this world or the fleet above. If they just think we're an insane death machine, they won't even try.

Destruction of civilians has been recorded to often have negative effects on military personell. When the pilot wakes up, their stress levels should be reduced as much as possible.
Complete obliteration of any resistance is standard operation for this vehicle. I don't think the pilot will be bothered.

Having them think that we're an insane and stupid machine is in our advantage. Makes them underestimate us. If we want to talk with them, we can simply send an ultimatum.

That's kind of the entire point of asymmetrical warfare, you intentionally do things in an unbalanced fashion to mess with the other sides attempts to predict your actions.  As well as use abnormal means to accomplish your goals.
Except that your "asymmetrical" warfare doesn't help in keeping the enemy confused, nor does it actually accomplish our goals.

To recap: Our goals are

1. Capturing the cache
2. Capturing some crew.

Your suggestion would result in enemy crew witnessing us capturing the cache and crew. Enemy thus knows our goals and what we accomplished in this mission.

My suggestion (torpedoing and sinking the vessel) would lead them to believe that the ship was lost. In such a situation, it's not unlikely for some cargo, or some people to disappear without trace. The enemy knows nothing more than that we sunk the ship.

For added distraction, we can simply sink a few more ships on our way North.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 02:49:08 pm by 10ebbor10 »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 44