Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 25

Author Topic: 25th Mech Squad - OOC Thread  (Read 24960 times)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Re: 25th Mech Squad - OOC Thread
« Reply #180 on: February 12, 2015, 07:47:57 am »

The only reason I mentioned it was the shipping reasons, Elf. You have taught me well.
Black lives matter.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 12, 2015, 09:31:01 am »

Err, I might be blind, but I don't know which of those icons is me. Help?
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 12, 2015, 09:35:17 am »

It's the reddish/rust-coloured one on the far right, right below the swirl that's supposed to be Dwarmin's mech. I couldn't get the grey scratches to look nice, so it's just a pure red circle.

If it helps, I placed everyone according to the Fire Teams from here. So if there's any confusion, check which fire team you're in and try to match up other people. If that doesn't help... I'll figure something else out.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 12, 2015, 09:38:37 am »

The only complaint is how long I have to wait to fight!

Also, I forgot are we Germany or Russia/Brittania/France in this scenario?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 12, 2015, 09:39:11 am »

Got it. Though I couldn't see Dwarmin's swirl until I zoomed in - I blame either my monitor brightness or my half-blind eyes.

The only complaint is how long I have to wait to fight!

Also, I forgot are we Germany or Russia/Brittania/France in this scenario?

We're Terralba in this scenario.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 12, 2015, 09:40:29 am »

Nevermind, we're British. Or American. Depends on how you look at it.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 12, 2015, 09:42:13 am »

Err... What? How are we British in this scenario? A little piddly country attacking a larger but more spread out one does not strike me as very British. Also there's way more countries than just Germany, Russia, Britian and France in WWI.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 12, 2015, 09:42:35 am »

Nevermind, we're British. Or American. Depends on how you look at it.

If you want to have a historical parallel, I'd say we're Italy. Rich north, poor south, needs to prove prestige and worth, a little surprise attacking after the bigger powers have actually started the war.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 12, 2015, 09:45:09 am »

We also are joining on the side of the metaphorical Serbs and are actually pretty safe from the entire conflict. Also, we didn't flip sides midway through which is why I don't feel Italian.

On a side note I think that if this type of thing doesn't work out turning it into a game where we play time traveling Mech pilots would be interesting.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 12, 2015, 09:50:02 am »

You're thinking Italy in WWII. Italy's side-switching in WWI happened before the war started - they were part of the Triple Alliance of A-H, Germany and Italy, but were like 'umm... the other side promised us better loot' when war actually broke out. In any case, it'd be weird if we had perfectly exact historical parallels anyway.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 12, 2015, 09:51:49 am »

Actually, there were in the war but pulled out then came back in on the other side. I feel I should know because I learned this less than a week ago.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 12, 2015, 10:00:23 am »

Actually, there were in the war but pulled out then came back in on the other side. I feel I should know because I learned this less than a week ago.

I've never heard anything about this. Every source I can find maintains that Italy declared its neutrality in 1914 (claiming the Triple Alliance was defensive and Germany-Austria-Hungary had gone on the offensive, thus they didn't need to do anything) then signed the Treaty of London and joined the Allies 1915.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 12, 2015, 10:01:49 am »

Hm, Then I guess that's what happened. Or I misheard it or something.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 12, 2015, 10:02:25 am »

Exactly. Italy had treaties with the Central powers, but once the war started they ignored them and didn't jump in to help Germany and Austria-Hungary. Instead they stayed neutral and eventually made a secret treaty with Britain and France to join in on their side and claim delicious territories from Austria. Though ironically that treaty was mostly ignored in the Treaty of Versailles and Italy didn't earn much in the end.

Also, one of the big 'what ifs' of WWI is if Italy actually helped out the Central Powers and attacked the south of France at the same time that Germany went through Belgium. As wimpy as the Italy military was, France would have great trouble fending off two attacks on separate sides of the country. Especially when you consider the fact that the Germans came so close to Paris they used taxis to ferry soldiers to the front.

If it isn't obvious I really like WWI/WWII Italy, mostly due to a combination of being comically inept and really brave/plucky.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 12, 2015, 10:20:50 am »

Ah.  I was beaten to the punch by USEC, who thoroughly already explained the Triple Alliance.  About the only thing I can add is the official excuse by Italy why they didn't honor the treaty: they claimed it was a defensive agreement, but that Austria-Hungary had taken the offensive in Serbia. 

Though, actually, Italian honoring the war on the side of the Triple Alliance would have been a disaster for Italy.  If you look at their historical capabilities against Austro-Hungary in the Austrian Alps, multiply those problems manifold against a more competent enemy through the French Alps, which are both a shorter and more geographically-hostile front.  Famously, in very next World War, Mussolini's harebrained attempt to invade France via these lands ended in a complete and utter disaster, even while Germans were actively and successfully taking Belgium and Paris.  Italy was also completely reliant on economic imports from Britain; it was warned even during the Triple Alliance that while Italy would honor it against France, they would not be able to do so against the UK as to do so would spell disaster for the Italian economy.  One can't even argue greater Italian competence in the First World War; the commander in chief through most of the war was Cadorna, who is either most famous for spending the opening of the Caporetto Offensive on leave, for his orders to execute the officers of any unit that retreated, or bringing a cumulative 6% of the entire Italian Army up on disciplinary charges at one time or another.  The only place where it would have changed matters is in Africa, where you would likely see a British- and French-supported Senussi campaign supported from Egypt and Algeria, in much the same way the British stirred up Arab nationalism in Arabia for their own ends against the Turks (or, for that matter, how the Germans and Turks supported the Senussi against the Italians and British, but without the disadvantages those powers had in reaching inner Libya).  The war would likely end in a Mandatory Cyrenaica and Tripolitania to join Mandatory Syria, Palestine, Transjordan, and the others, and absolutely no territorial concessions from Austria or Entente ally Yugoslavia. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 10:24:48 am by Culise »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 25