Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 48

Author Topic: Outpost Delta Turn 13  (Read 33083 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost Delta: Pre-launch Turn 2, April to June
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2015, 06:01:43 pm »

What we need is to research a better cargo bay. As it is, we'll only be able to take the MFFK, the LSL, and a Heavy Mech Bot to get resources for the MFFK. We'll have no room for anything else like a habitation dome or air and such.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2015, 06:28:26 pm »

We probably dont need a hab dome, since we can build our own or just dig in, we have enough air to keep enough people alive until they can collect materials to make more air, and I cant really think of toomuch to add.

Also, we need to limit things taht we have to build. Any fancy hardware we have to build, which takes time, which we dont have.

Software, on the otherhand, does not have to be built.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2015, 07:39:59 pm »

Hmm, so I take it the only holdup at this point is what to research then? Well I'd like to get a turn out today so if I don't get some agreement in the next few minutes I'll just roll something randomly
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2015, 07:43:27 pm »

Is it possible to keep the data of a Life Sciences Lab but not actually have an LSL kit? The data is much more important than the actual scientific equipment.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2015, 07:49:51 pm »

Well, yes, but pretty pointless to do so since A LSL is on par with a factory kit in difficulty on building(i.e. you'd need quite a bit of advanced parts and resources to build, likely more than you could easily bring and much more than what you'd need for repairs and maintenance). Plus you'd need at least a Seed bank if you want to do anything like a LSL on a smaller scale
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2015, 07:54:15 pm »

We can build the stuff needed for an LSL kit with the factory after we land, even if it'll take a lot longer. We can always replicate the physical equipment later but we can't replicate the raw data of all the life species on Earth ever.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2015, 08:01:59 pm »

You have a point there, half the point of the LSL is a gigantic database of all earth species. I'll rule that you'll at least need a lsrge dedicated data storage with that info with you, and that won't be cheap(half the cost of the LSL as well as half the size. Comprehensive data on every species ever on earth isn't exactly a small amount, you're probably talking petabytes at least)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2015, 08:26:08 pm »

Well, since we STILL don't have agreement on research, I'll just roll something randomly(rolling rolling rolling)...cargo systems!
Code: [Select]
Build:

Gaia Composite Biodome Life Support(CBLS)
He-3 MCF Fusion generator /w external radiators Mk2

Some expensive and time-consuming modules are ordered into production this April, starting with the heart of the ship, a MCF fusion reactor, as well as the very impressive Gaia CBLS that'll support the crew in space.

Meanwhile, engineers are slpit on what to do to support the mission, until a bright penny comes up with a VERY handy design for a strap-on cargo drop pod. This hemispherical pod can be bolted to the outside of a ship and provides space for 5 cargo. It also comes eqiupped with a basic guidance, small amuevering thrusters, parachutes, retro-rockets, and air cusions for maximum survivability on landing in any plausible atmosphere type(or lack thereof). It is still recommended though to not put anything vital or fragile in them in case of landing malfunctions. However, they are more vulnerable than integrated cargo bays and lack the cargo handling systems, as well as require vac-suited personnel to do maintenance on them in-flight as they are always at vacuum until landing. They also have quite a bit more mass than a standard cargo bay due to the reinforcements necessary to survive impact as well as the landing systems.

Cargo Drop Pod Mk 1. 8RU 0 size 4 mass. This bolt-on cargo bay can carry 5 cargo per pod, and is designed to separate upon atmospheric entry and fall independently of the mothership. Multiple landing systems act as redundancy to insure maximum survival of pod and cargo, but fragile things are still not recommended to be put in these as breakage cannot be entirely avoided. (Note, up to 2 can be ordered and bolted on at the same time as another module in any ONE build slot per turn, due to ease of manufacturing these modular pods)

Event:(90. Seriously, random.org is screwing with me, 2 90s in a row?)

Even though launch is still several months away, crew is already being selected, screened, and shuttled up to lunar orbit to familiarize themselves with the ship. Among those are the captain  candidates for this mission:

Romeo Vega (age 47)
++Repair
+organization(A single action per turn has a general +5 bonus due to good orginization)
-Morale(Vega runs a tight ship, and anyone not up to that standard will Know. Repeatedly. To the point they fondly wish his death.)
Vega was one of the finest captains of the ore freighters making the belt run, and was known to always be on time with all his load. Running the belt has given him experience with repairing all kinds of equipment as he could only depend on himself and his crew.

Lisa Hernandez(age 34)
++Engineering
+Reactor
-Manufacturing
Lisa was one of the engineers responsible for the improved MCF fusion plant, and has extensive knowledge of designing and prototyping equipment. However, she has little experience with manufacturing processes to MAKE said equipment

Andre Halton(age 39)
+Morale
++Improvisation
-Engineering(Plans? I don't need no stinking plans!)
Andre was chief morale officer at Luna base when it was still a military outpost, and was excellent at creating new and interesting activities out of whole cloth. However, he has a bit of a disdain for actual planning.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 08:38:25 pm by tryrar »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost Delta: Pre-launch Turn 3, July to September
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2015, 09:47:57 pm »

We should get Lisa Hernandez because her skills would be useful in making sure the ship works well on route to Alpha Centauri. We don't want to end up in a situation where we have to sacrifice something to save something else, i.e. the LSL database for the engine.

As for cargo, let's get the LSL database and one set of air tanks & vac suits.

Do we need to actually buy cargo to start drilling or could we perhaps get some manual mining tools that don't take up as much space? How much size/cargo/RU do we have left?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 09:54:22 pm by Andres »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2015, 10:02:52 pm »

Cargo Drop Pod Mk 1. 8RU 0 size 4 mass. This bolt-on cargo bay can carry 5 cargo per pod, and is designed to separate upon atmospheric entry and fall independently of the mothership. Multiple landing systems act as redundancy to insure maximum survival of pod and cargo, but fragile things are still not recommended to be put in these as breakage cannot be entirely avoided. (Note, up to 2 can be ordered and bolted on at the same time as another module in any ONE build slot per turn, due to ease of manufacturing these modular pods)

So, does that mean that we can build two of them AND something else in one slot, or just that we can build two of them in one slot?
Highly Opinionated Fool

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2015, 10:05:44 pm »

The former

As for digging tools, unless you are planning on a lot of sand/soil layers on the planet, I'd advise for powered tools/bots for the rock and stone.

But yeah, you can stow manual mining tools and use sheer manpower to dig. Don't expect the crew to like it though
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 10:07:26 pm by tryrar »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2015, 10:06:52 pm »

Let's research better drop pods that'll protect what's inside more and won't need as much maintenance in space.

The former
Holy crap yes! That is truly excellent! Let's start building 2 of them right away!

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2015, 10:08:32 pm »

The former
Holy crap yes! That is truly excellent! Let's start building 2 of them right away!

Heh, that's what a 90 will get you. I see the Aseaheru charm is still working :P

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2015, 10:09:26 pm »

Ooh... That IS a good roll...

Makes me wish I had originally suggested it, instead of suggesting something that wouldn't need building in fear that we would have had to build it separate from the rest...

Quick, someone with math, howmany can we bolt on, and howmany tons of spare parts and non-fragile items (like seeds) can we carry in them that we can survive without?

-dang ninjas-

Lets hope its as good with the maint checks in flight. Those things are evil.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2015, 10:20:56 pm »

Ok, we have 23 cargo to fit into the ship and at least 10 outside. We should reserve the 23 inside for fragile things like the MFFK and the LSLD (Life Sciences Laboratory Database). We'll also need to keep the space suits inside to fix the drop pods outside. That's a total of 16 cargo inside with 7 left. We'll need at least a small habitation dome so now we're down to 6 fragile cargo left. Assuming we don't have access to mining tools, we'll have to spare 3 cargo for the Heavy Bot Mech and now we're at 3. The rest of the space should be left for basic and advanced parts to repair the ship itself.

Outside, we can load the drop pods with materials, food, and a seed bank.

Change research to cargo that can turn solid material like rock into air.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 10:25:20 pm by Andres »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 48