Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 48

Author Topic: Outpost Delta Turn 13  (Read 33068 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost Delta: Pre-launch Turn 3, July to September
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2015, 10:31:21 pm »

...I know gameplay-wise I'm letting realism slide a little for the sake of fun, but I still would like that based off of some sort of real tech. Cite a source and I'll allow that, otherwise the scientists would probably ask if you want a gun that farts rainbows too :P
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2015, 10:45:54 pm »

This and this. Heck, considering the time we're playing in we might have that tech already considering that we have fusion.

We should probably get a hoverboard or two for our guys to play with.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 10:48:05 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2015, 11:02:28 pm »

We'll need at least a small habitation dome
Where are you getting this from? The first in the series had no above ground building for the first year or so, until they decided to build one out of local materials.

An yah, air out of rocks is a thing. Although, I dont think we need to research it, since I think we get sent out with a bunch of plans for these sorts of things.

And remember, we have a chance of loosing the exterior cargo.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2015, 11:22:20 pm »

Huh, that is something I didn't know about. Learn something new everyday!

And yeah, such techniques are widely known, but if you want a specific blueprint instead of making something ad-hoc when you get there, I can do that for a research action.
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2015, 11:43:49 pm »

Where are you getting this from? The first in the series had no above ground building for the first year or so, until they decided to build one out of local materials.

An yah, air out of rocks is a thing. Although, I dont think we need to research it, since I think we get sent out with a bunch of plans for these sorts of things.

I didn't read the previous Outpost games. I'm playing this entirely blind. As for living a subterranean life, is that actually possible?

Yes, that's why the things I chose for the exterior cargo can survive even if they crash down to earth. Materials, food, and seeds are like that.

Research mouse-sized bots that are powered by rock and produce air as exhaust. They will be used to create living space underground as well as fill up the new underground cavern with air. We'll have to make sure we don't deploy them in areas where there are mineral deposits or they'll eat them too, unless we get lucky on the research and we end up with bots that know not to eat these minerals.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2015, 12:05:24 am »

Research what organic tissues can be used for Salavrand reproduction.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2015, 12:16:06 am »

What the hell's a salavrand?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2015, 12:47:43 am »

Good question.

As for living a subterranean life, is that actually possible?

Yep. With hydroponics, UV lights, and enough faux-surface things.
 Subterranean life is actually rather close to life in space, although slightly easier.
Highly Opinionated Fool

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2015, 12:50:17 am »

I didn't read the previous Outpost games. I'm playing this entirely blind. As for living a subterranean life, is that actually possible?

Yes, that's why the things I chose for the exterior cargo can survive even if they crash down to earth. Materials, food, and seeds are like that.

Research mouse-sized bots that are powered by rock and produce air as exhaust. They will be used to create living space underground as well as fill up the new underground cavern with air. We'll have to make sure we don't deploy them in areas where there are mineral deposits or they'll eat them too, unless we get lucky on the research and we end up with bots that know not to eat these minerals.

Ok, getting oxygen from rock I'll give you, but it hasn't gotten to the point where a mouse sized bot could do it with any reasonable efficiency, or be powered entirely by rock. There's gotta be some limits here :P

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2015, 12:56:02 am »

I have a feeling that Pencil_Art is talking about asexual reproduction for humans via budding... Dunno why.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2015, 01:01:37 am »

The point of the size is that they're small enough that they don't take up too much cargo. Moreover, we could supply them with some electricity to make sure it works, similar to today's hybrids. Also, carbon dioxide is an acceptable gas for exhaust. It's not good for humans but it's good for plants, so either way it's win-win.

Could we possibly get the Multipurpose Care- and Habitation Bay without the cryopods? They're just taking up space and we don't really need any more frozen dudes. Perhaps we can put those spare cryo pods in the CBLS? (Why isn't it called the GCBLS anyway?)

As for the limited amount of fun on the ship, we can cycle our solar sailors in and out of the cryo pods so they don't go insane.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2015, 01:05:42 am »

Probally not possible.

Gonna need them to build the place so the ArcArk has a place to dump the thousands and thousands and THOUSANDS of people, with no way to scrape out a living on their ship.

We are going to do that anyways, but we only have somany people, and somany entertainment options. Plus, not everyone will like the options we have available anyways.
Highly Opinionated Fool

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 04, 2015, 01:07:30 am »

I get the size thing, I'm just saying if you want mouse sized you'll be rather disappointed :P. Plus, I'm not sure even with advanced tech a mouse sized bot would be very good at burrowing through rock, even with swarm logic

As for the Multi-purpose Care and Habitation bay, I'll rule the spare cryopods can be moved to the CBLS, but since trying to do without those spare pods would be a modification to an existing module, that would be a research action(though, a not terribly difficult one)

(you don't HAVE to fill those pods, might be a way to give extended breaks to a portion of crew)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2015, 01:18:11 am »

Gonna need them to build the place so the ArcArk has a place to dump the thousands and thousands and THOUSANDS of people, with no way to scrape out a living on their ship.
15 people won't make that much of a difference.

We are going to do that anyways, but we only have somany people, and somany entertainment options. Plus, not everyone will like the options we have available anyways.
This is actually kinda stupid. Why do we need to spend so much time and so many resources on VR pods and gyms and such when we can just give each sailor their own future PSP with (functionally) unlimited numbers of games? We can even make private rooms using some wood/cardboard and some curtains. Besides PSPs, we can get some hard-copy books, magazines, board games, anything! We could fit a whole suite of entertainment options with nothing but a wardrobe!

I get the size thing, I'm just saying if you want mouse sized you'll be rather disappointed :P. Plus, I'm not sure even with advanced tech a mouse sized bot would be very good at burrowing through rock, even with swarm logic

As for the Multi-purpose Care and Habitation bay, I'll rule the spare cryopods can be moved to the CBLS, but since trying to do without those spare pods would be a modification to an existing module, that would be a research action(though, a not terribly difficult one)

(you don't HAVE to fill those pods, might be a way to give extended breaks to a portion of crew)
Let's just research it and see what we get. The aim of the game is to get cavern-builders that create air and are small enough that we can lose some of them on the drop pods without too much hassle.

Do the existence of the cryopods actually help the bay function or are they just a drain on resources? If it's the latter then I'd find it pretty strange that they had the tech to build the bay WITH the cryopods but not WITHOUT.

(Cool idea. Thanks.)

EDIT: So what's humanity's policy on artificial and genetically-engineered humans? We can make humans that don't need as many resources to survive, we can make more humans in cloning facilities once we get there, and we might even be able to make special types of humans that are excellent at working and are entirely, 100% ok with being slaves.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 01:30:21 am by Andres »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2015, 01:34:18 am »

Umm, yeah, for some reason still not understood by scientists, cloning of anything approaching intelligent doesn't work very well. Cows and pigs and the like work to some extent, and organs and straight up meat are a snap, but tests with primates...well let's just say Lovecraft would have approved. This has put the kibosh on wholesale genetic tinkering with humanity, as such things are deemed too dangerous and will likely result in !!FUN!!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 48