Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 48

Author Topic: Outpost Delta Turn 13  (Read 33076 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost Delta: Pre-launch Turn 3, July to September
« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2015, 01:38:32 am »

So the problem is with intelligence? Creating brain-dead humans isn't an issue?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2015, 01:40:28 am »

....you really want to push ethical boundaries huh? Well there would be a rather LARGE morale penalty when the crew finds out what kind of mad science you are doing, and there's still no guarantee it will work, but yeah you can try. Still need cloning facilities...
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2015, 01:46:45 am »

If we were really pushing ethical boundaries then we could work it to provide a morale bonus. Luckily, we're not pushing it that far. What I'm suggesting is that rather than cloning entire humans we can just clone organic material like blood, tissues, and organs. No more organ waiting lists! You're heart's failing? Get a new one! Paralysed? Have some fresh spinal column! Life expectancy will be over a century long, especially if we create brainless humans!

EDIT: Some guy got a full hand transplant last year. Go science!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 01:49:09 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2015, 01:52:19 am »

Organ cloning is something that already exists and is used extensively. As well, small genetic alterations to repair genetic defects and diseases work without any apparent unforeseen consequences. However, to do these on more than an ad-hoc basis with whatever medical facilities you bring, you'll need a dedicated cloning kit like the Meat-Vat kit(which can be repurposed to some extent) or the LSL
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 04, 2015, 02:05:06 am »

15 people won't make that much of a difference.
With exosuits and RC robots?
This is actually kinda stupid. Why do we need to spend so much time and so many resources on VR pods and gyms and such when we can just give each sailor their own future PSP with (functionally) unlimited numbers of games? We can even make private rooms using some wood/cardboard and some curtains. Besides PSPs, we can get some hard-copy books, magazines, board games, anything! We could fit a whole suite of entertainment options with nothing but a wardrobe!
Most of that is space and mass, also VR pods are the future PSP
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 04, 2015, 02:14:26 am »

Organ cloning is something that already exists and is used extensively. As well, small genetic alterations to repair genetic defects and diseases work without any apparent unforeseen consequences. However, to do these on more than an ad-hoc basis with whatever medical facilities you bring, you'll need a dedicated cloning kit like the Meat-Vat kit(which can be repurposed to some extent) or the LSL
Immortality here we come!

According to Moore's Law, transistor count doubles twice about every 2 years. Now I'm not very smart when it comes to IT but I think that means that if the standard storage of a computer is 1TB, then it 2 years the standard amount will be 2TB. Now, assuming that today's standard is 250GB (it's actually closer to 500GB or 1TB, but let's low-ball it), the average storage of a computer is 262TB after 40 years time. That should be enough storage for plenty of movies, books, games, etc. on each personal computer, no?
What I'm saying is that the tech needed to keep someone occupied for 15 years in deep space would be available on the equivalent of an iPad, especially if we include some impressive iterations of the Oculus Rift. Again, why spend so many resources on large, space-taking VR pods when we can get the equivalent in someone's backpack?

EDIT: What's A.I like? Is it human-like yet? It would be wise to know before we jump on board with a potential HAL 9000.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 02:23:31 am by Andres »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 04, 2015, 02:19:29 am »

Because game balance :P

But seriously, I get what you are saying, however Moore's law depends on things proceeding without interruptions and roadblocks. I'll say that storage hasn't' quite gotten that good with electronics, and the average crewmember isn't gonna have an optronic workpad(those things are expensive as fuck). Plus, while you can get fairly impressive 3d with a headset(enough to get by even with limited storage), the VR pods use complete full immersion to achieve a far better effect than a dinky headset. Given the choice, crews vastly prefer the pods

@Ninja edit:Unrestricted AI is banned by international treaty due to security and ethical concerns with creating what is for all intents and purposes life in machine form. The best you'll get is the adaptive swarm logic of the bots, and similar things.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 02:22:53 am by tryrar »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 04, 2015, 02:23:02 am »

Perhaps it doesn't have to be an either/or thing? We can get some iPads filled with games, books, and movies while they wait their turn in the VR pod. Also, we need to make sure to bring in a hoverboard or two. Yeah the tech would be like 42 (the holy number!) years since they'd have been invented but they're still fun!

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 04, 2015, 02:27:03 am »

It's assumed the crew has future ipods and the like, but you can only watch the same things or play Halo XXI for so long before they get bored-and thats assuming a crew member likes things like games and movies. They could be a weirdo who likes working out, or you know, "socializing" with members of the opposite sex. Ipads and VR pods will help (and would probably suffice for the trip there) but people like options.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 04, 2015, 02:32:31 am »

The CBLS has a size of 44. It's described as being "huge" in the description. I'm sure that that'll give enough space to get some jogging in as well as the creation of very separate private rooms using curtains and tree branches and stuff. Also, with that much time out in space it's probably not a bad idea to get some creative folks on board to help out with morale by developing games, writing books, composing music, etc. It's not much but at least they'll be occupied.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2015, 02:33:39 am »

Well, yeah, but you'll have to wait until then to do any action for that. We've taken up enough time with this discussion as is :P

So, can I get a build order/research/cargo order?

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2015, 02:35:51 am »

Build 2 drop pods. Research small, gas-producing mining bots. Get an LSL database and a Heavy Mech Bot into the inside of the ship and fill the rest of it up with basic and advanced parts.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2015, 02:37:32 am »

Remember the two drop pods is in addition to the two modules you can build(since they bolt to the outside)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2015, 02:40:10 am »

Let's get 2 drop pods for each build order, then. More food and stuff is never bad, right? Is it possible to send someone in a space suit outside to retrieve supplies from the drop pods and bring them in the ship? OH!

1 set of air tanks & vac suits inside the ship.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 04, 2015, 02:42:18 am »

Yup, though transfer is gonna be pretty slow due to needing to be careful not to become a Dutchman, and the fact the drop pods have no cargo handling systems. Call it at least a couple days to bring in a standard size 1 container of stuff
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 48