Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 106

Author Topic: Paranormal 24 - Game over! Doppelganger Victory!  (Read 216746 times)

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal 24 - Day 1 always ruins vacations
« Reply #120 on: January 21, 2015, 05:07:57 am »

Do you think your identity is such that you fear its discovery, UXLZ?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 21, 2015, 05:15:45 am »

Do you think your identity is such that you fear its discovery, UXLZ?

It depends on who discovers it.

Also, that's kind of a loaded question.

Answer: 'No' "Of course you'd say that."
Answer: 'Yes' "Aha! You're evil! (Well, probably)"
Answer: 'Anything else' "That's just trying to draw attention away!"

Maybe my newbishness prevents me from seeing the light, but I can't help but feel like that question's a trap. Can you please explain your reasoning behind asking it, and what you intend to achieve with that information?
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 21, 2015, 05:22:14 am »

The correct answer with perfect play is (I believe) always 'no'. If you're hesitant or ambivalent about answering (or answer yes) you almost certainly have reason to believe being investigated is a bad thing, therefore you're a high value target for lynches or night kills. This leans towards anti-town due to the higher value of their identity compared to an ordinary human power role.

You believe my question was a trap- do you ascribe ill motives to my initial question as well?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 21, 2015, 05:23:16 am »

o_o
I sleep and the thread explodes.
Hello everyone[/filler_post_here_until_readup]

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 21, 2015, 05:27:04 am »

Hi Tiruin! What third party role would you like to see in this Paranormal?
I've played some mafia.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 21, 2015, 05:30:01 am »

The correct answer with perfect play is (I believe) always 'no'. If you're hesitant or ambivalent about answering (or answer yes) you almost certainly have reason to believe being investigated is a bad thing, therefore you're a high value target for lynches or night kills. This leans towards anti-town due to the higher value of their identity compared to an ordinary human power role.

You believe my question was a trap- do you ascribe ill motives to my initial question as well?

The issue though is that the answer of 'No' is always suspect because it's the 'perfect' one. It may be true, or it may not be, but one can never be sure. It's kind of like a WifoM situation actually, unless I've misinterpreted it.  Then again, I may be bringing the mindset of the BM game I last did into this one, where there were only 2 power roles. (Making them very important.)

Sorry, trap was probably the wrong wording. More like a 'loaded' question. I couldn't see any way of answering it that couldn't be used against me. I don't believe you have ill-motives, though, and scumhunting is always good regardless. If you wanted to try and trap me you would have just pressed harder with more loaded questions, so I'm led to believe that you're just trying to find information, which is not in and of itself a bad thing.

The initial question was just a coincidence. 
The circle is complete.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 21, 2015, 05:35:11 am »

It's more likely to see scum overreact to routine questioning than town- I'm not looking for the perfect answer, but the reaction that leads to an imperfect one. I'm not sure how much of your hesitance I can ascribe to your newness to the game, however. Have you noticed anything posted so far that has caught your eyes in terms of suspicious activity?
I've played some mafia.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 21, 2015, 05:35:37 am »

I know this was directed towards Tir, but I'm really hoping we see a Zoologist. They seem really interesting.
The circle is complete.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 21, 2015, 05:55:05 am »

It's more likely to see scum overreact to routine questioning than town- I'm not looking for the perfect answer, but the reaction that leads to an imperfect one. I'm not sure how much of your hesitance I can ascribe to your newness to the game, however. Have you noticed anything posted so far that has caught your eyes in terms of suspicious activity?

True enough. I guess I'm just being a bit cautious about what I say since I was nearly bandwagon'd to death on the first day of the last game I played. Ultimately I survived though, and in this case I'm not in an L-1 situation, so I guess it's needless caution.
I'll answer your other question, but first, I missed someone else's.

Quote from: MC
TheDarkStar, Persus13, UXLZ: People start getting abducted. Is it better to switch your focus over to trying to find the alien, or do you continue trying to find dopplegangers? Why?

I'd keep going for the doppels. It depends on what kind of abudctions they are, though. If it's an organ-harvester type one where people are killed then the alien needs to be found asap. If it's a Xenozoologist... Well, I'd actually consider them beneficial to the town. This might be wrong thinking since I'm not sure if their win-con is an exclusive one, but they need to find two humans, (psychic and non-psychic) but also a doppel and an alien. Them succeeding seems like it would actually be a good thing. Like sacrificing pawns for bishops. If they end up being randomly killed then there isn't really any harm done.

I could be totally wrong with this thinking though, I've never played Paranormal before and it probably has a lot of nuances that I'm unfamiliar with.

Quote from: Cheetar
Have you noticed anything posted so far that has caught your eyes in terms of suspicious activity?

There was some weird stuff going on earlier with Flabort and Maskwolf. Unfortunately (well, fortunately), a lot of other people have already noted that. Aside from that, I'm not very good when it comes to finding suspicious stuff so early on. Hopefully I'll pick up on something. Hopefully DarkStar doesn't hold grudges.

Have all the players posted, yet?
The circle is complete.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 21, 2015, 05:58:21 am »

I know this was directed towards Tir, but I'm really hoping we see a Zoologist. They seem really interesting.
I get the fun questions :v
Yeah...no, on the Zoologist part. In considering what I'd like to see--it'd be...err, it'd also take in the player aspect instead of just the role aspect for me. :P Because I like analyzing stuff. Oh look a pretty moth.

Hold on while I entertain the other questions.

Tiruin: As survivor, would you side with town or scum?
Town. Because yay difficulty. And no: arguing 'best way to achieve wincon' doesn't work for me here--primarily due that I'm still alive in taking a stance.

I'll leave the revelation of Choice some space here, for thought.

...Yes, the one word answer is my full answer. :P Not in brevity at all.
Same as if I was an SK--and not for wincon reasons (ok, technically parallel to wincon reasons but y'know. I just ♥ the town. Even as Mafia :v)

Scripten, Tiruin, Toastaaaar: Arrr, ye be thinkin' somebody be up to no good, but the cop, who now lay at the bottom o' Davy Jone's Locker, had been sayin' that very same somebody be innocent, 'fore he died.
How does this influence yer views?
I'm a pirate :D
Well...not much, really. Maybe in the middle-process (as detailed below for posterity), but not in the initial or concluding points.

See, here's a general overview of how I think:
> Observation
> Analysis
> Recall
> Consideration
> Consolidation
> [Insert_Words_Describing_Abstracted_Thought]
> 1x Concrete Thought
> Consider making this in the format of cooking recipe
> Conclusion

...Meaning: It influences my views in regard to...regarding the situation, but does not act as a significant influence unless I have nothing else to go on.
And generally (99.99%), I think about...many things.
>_> <_< Had a personality test, out of curiosity, and me and our guidance counselor noted my thinking process is of duality, in short. Being able to see a lot of things from different viewpoints. The only negative point from it is...the time, or the danger of paralysis in action wherein one can make a quicker and more efficient decision in the time taken.

Like now. :P
...So yeah, it won't affect my decision as a whole, but I'll first inquire because of-
...                                And matching my curiosity about myself too...
They were pretty much right o_o I do put a lot of depth into general questions. Woo!
Tiruin, which role is the biggest threat?
...To whom? I am aware of how you ask stuff at D1 [Not Meta] :P And in this game, brevity pokes me as it does in any other game.
Err..anyway. Spore Spreader of either variety. Because of the...playstyle one could do with it. It's like a happy-go-lucky jester. Emphasis on the emotion. :-X Though the latter (Bloomer) needs to live until later in game...to make it a better case of 'certainty', though still may adopt the same attitude.
On that note:
Mephansteras (posterity query): Did you do a bit of reference-flavor back in one of your Paranormal games to the SporeSpreaderBloomer, where people had a room of alien plants (I do recall Shakerag was there and interacting with the plants) and...err, I think it was where the humans had to escape an alien ship, as the flavor setting.

4maskwolf
Shakerag: Do you want the honest answer or the nice answer?
Both, naturally.  After you answer that, tell me why you're so willing to lie to me this early in the game as well.
Honest Answer: I don't know you well enough to tell you.
Nice Answer: No, you're not an asshole, why would you even think I'd think you were?

To spare your feelings of course (insert heart emoticon here).

But seriously, ask stupid question, get stupid answer.  Monkey see, monkey do.
How is that a stupid question >:I
Shakerag is inquiring as from his self-awareness and previous connotations about him! That is a very crucial question as to his self-image and self-efficacy!
*Tiruin pulls up a pipe and tea and attaches a fake beard on her chin.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 21, 2015, 06:30:12 am »

Alrighty, back onto this.
Now, not all third-party are aliens (hello Rogue Dopp), but it seems all Aliens are third-party.

I'd love to see a Rogue Doppleganger in-game, primarily because of the note on covert operations, and moral considerations. It's like an armed survivor (who can't win with aliens and appears as a Miller), and on the player aspect--its not because of the kills, either! It presents a very variable playstyle, which depends less on the situation and player count, but acts more like a Survivor than anything else.
...Though I have no idea if the wincon is achieved upon victory of one or the other. It seems like the Rogue should live until the end, anyway.

But I'd also love to see an Agent Operative in game too! Other than uncovering that 'ohey there's a category-Cop in play', they are a town-sided covert judge [with a set of nice choices in tech!], with the 'judge' pertaining more onto knowing the confirmed(?) presence of the Agent, and acting like a force of leverage in affecting the whole game. The AO can be a malevolent judge (ie Assassin bot + Hold-out Blaster + Personal Shield) and many, many other combinations. Tied in with the Rogue Dopp (though always with Town) in the intrigue, I really can't decide which to see in game more. Both are very amazing roles (though ok, the AO seems a lot better because of the variability of choice--and I'm a bit biased to that because it uses player creativity in making the role...and I like using creativity, whether from me or anyone else)

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 21, 2015, 08:28:06 am »

Shakerag: Last time I checked, yeah. Was there a point to this question other than wanting me to imply that I'm scum.

NQT: Hrm. A doppelgänger Vigilante and Detective would be difficult to deal with, I think. Then an Advanced doppelgänger for the traitor potential, and possibly a Leader to guard against investigations. Or four Vigilante doppelgängers. Can that happen?

Cheese, was there any reason for the groupings you chose in your initial question?

Cheetar, who do you think is the biggest danger to the town; the aliens, the doppelgängers or  the other third party candidates?

mask, why does flabort revealing your gambit and being suspicious of it make him anti-town?

flabort, why reveal Mask's gambit so quickly when you couldn't be sure whether he was being honest or not?
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 21, 2015, 08:37:43 am »

Cheetar, who do you think is the biggest danger to the town; the aliens, the doppelgängers or  the other third party candidates?

Doppelgangers. There's simply more of them, and they have access to a shared night kill so they can't collectively be blocked or otherwise put out of action.
I've played some mafia.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 21, 2015, 09:12:50 am »

You've all be rather busy, haven't you?

Just skimmed the thread, but I haven't had time to collect questions or read anything in-depth yet. I should have some replies/thoughts/etc in a few hours. At most, by the end of the day.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 21, 2015, 09:17:55 am »

NQT:
Toaster
Don't try to bullshit ourselves that a D1 lynch cannot possibly be productive, and stick to our guns and play solid Mafia.
Good advice. Do you think that Wolf and Flabort could be on the same team?

It's totally within the realm of possibility.  4mask loves a gambit, and I imagine Flabort would hop right on board.

UXLZ:
Sorry, trap was probably the wrong wording. More like a 'loaded' question.

What if I said every question was loaded?

I know this was directed towards Tir

So why did you answer it?

Tiruin:
Now, not all third-party are aliens (hello Rogue Dopp), but it seems all Aliens are third-party.

Agent Operative
    Visible Role: Operative
    Race: Alien
    Goal: Based on Action
    Rules: This Operative is working with the government and has been sent along to assist an Agent in aiding the town. The Operative is not told who the Agent is until the First Night, however. In addition, the government has no way of knowing if the Agent is still human. The Operative should use caution when contacting the agent.
    Tech: 1 Medium and 2 Small Slots
    Victory: Town wins

Scripten:
You've all be rather busy, haven't you?

You ain't seen nothin' yet.

Do you feel missing out on the initial flood of posts disadvantages you?  If so, how do you intent to put yourself back in line?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 106